Dining Plan says includes appetizer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable angling for compensation for a minor mistake that won't affect your trip at all, but have at it if you want to.

I wonder if there's a way to inform them that they're sending out the wrong material.

That wasn't the plan...more to bring to their attention that "hey, this is what it says I'm supposed to get" and see how it's handled. Truthfully, if they could toss on an appetizer, that would be a very minor expense, but like I said, I don't think they have that ability.

I received my Welcome packet for our upcoming trip in September and had the old information also. It says in print on the bottom MYDE07 which I figured had to have meant that someone put the old brochure in the packet instead of the new one. When I booked the trip with the dining, they specifically went over what the plan included and stated that it had changed and there was no longer an appetizer included and that you had to pay your own gratuity.

I was a little puzzled when I first received this and read it but then looked at the bottom of the paper to check the date. I figured it had to be just an old brochure. It certainly would be nice it was the same as last year!

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable angling for compensation for a minor mistake that won't affect your trip at all, but have at it if you want to.

I wonder if there's a way to inform them that they're sending out the wrong material.

Nala, I agree with you, it's a very minor mistake, everyone on the DIS boards is well versed in the changes in the dining plan. I could see it being a much bigger problem for someone is not familiar with the plan, bought it for the first time this year, and is going by what they received in writing. But that's not why I'm posting...

I just have to say that your signature pic horrifies me and makes me laugh my head off at the same time...and reminds me why I don't eat seafood. :eek: :rotfl2:

Actually Karibritt01 they don't have to honor the price that you booked with as they have on their paperwork under terms and conditions that prices may change at any time before final payment here is a direct quote from my booking paperwork from Disney listed under Rates on the Terms and Conditions page ("All rates are in us dollars and are subject to change until package is paid in full. After package is paid in full, rate is subject to change due to imposition of taxes or other charges of governmental authorities.") Yes you are entering into a contract but they are protecting themselves by having the terms and conditions in writing on the booking paperwork. A lot of people may not be aware of this because they a. do not read the fine print on paperwork they receive weather it be a disney vacation or a home loan etc. or b. they do not take notice of the information for various reasons. I have never booked a disney cruise so I do not know what their paperwork says for that but more than likely disney is choosing not to pass the surcharge onto guests that have already booked but not paid in full as a courtesy and not because they can not. If the surcharge is passed onto them from a port or government authority they would have every right to pass that along to guests paid in full provided the terms and conditions are the same as quoted above. Just because they can charge more does not mean that they will of course. As for those other cruise lines that were made to refund the surcharges maybe it was because of the type of contract they had maybe they didn't have a disclosure that prices could go up and therefore they would not be able to enforce this.

Good luck to you when you go try it. I got the basic plan for my trip next week & nothing like what you shown was there. I called yesterday about a meal & they told me that they changed the DDP since the last time I was at Disney (2007) told them yes no app't or tip & she said right. Who know what going on but I would call & ask.:)

As has been pointed out, there really is "no holding Disney's feet to the fire" on this except for possibly anyone who booked a vacation based on this incorrect information that was provided by Disney. Everyone else is just trying to take advantage of a loophole because they truly understand that the plan does not include appetizer and tips. While it is tempting, I am sure, it does not make it right to push the issue if you know that it is a mistake.

As has been pointed out, there really is "no holding Disney's feet to the fire" on this except for possibly anyone who booked a vacation based on this incorrect information that was provided by Disney. Everyone else is just trying to take advantage of a loophole because they truly understand that the plan does not include appetizer and tips. While it is tempting, I am sure, it does not make it right to push the issue if you know that it is a mistake.

I know what you're saying, but you're basing it on the assumption that everyone will be like me and know the difference. I've been reading that dining managers are getting so many complaints about the new plan changes that they're actually keeping a running tally. This kind of mistake does nothing but add fuel to the already large fire. (1) why would you not shred your 2007 information...(2) why would you make your 2008 information card look identical to the 2007 one, that just adds to the confusion. I actually did have to sit down and explain to my Fiance that it was wrong and we wouldn't likely get it, which kinda bummed her out....so while I knew the difference, she didn't and had her hopes up. Plus the fact that this "mistake" is being made in more than just my case...as I'm apparantly not the only one who recieved this.

I just have a low tollerance for stupidity in general, there's so many ways they could have avoided this. Making the card different this year for instance, rather than looking identical...that would have been a good start. At least I knew what was going on beforehand...I'm sure many others are jumping for joy thinking that they've changed the plan back to the way it was...and won't know different until check-in. Talk about ruining the magic during the first few minutes of your trip, or even worse at the first restaurant when they are handed a bill for their appetizer...ouch.

Incidentally, this is actually the first information I've recieved that tells me what "I'm getting". Noone on the phone described it to me other than "dining plan" and that I get a table service, counter service and snack each day.

ok. you made me go look at the brochure they sent. Mine also says it includes appetizer, tax and tip. It does have the 07 code on the bottom. I didnt even notice this until I saw this thread. I knew the rules to the DDP , so I didnt bother reading it. I wonder how many people actually have this one and dont realize it because who would read the rules if they already know them? Interesting.... I got my packet at least a week ago too. I am booked for Sept. also.

"All rates are in us dollars and are subject to change until package is paid in full. After package is paid in full, rate is subject to change due to imposition of taxes or other charges of governmental authorities."

Good to know. I just knew the other cruises got into legal hot water adding in fuel charges, and Disney decided to add it to new reservations after May, 2008. They do have a clause about increasing port charges when applicable, and are doing just that beginning July 1st.

Something I thought about last night no one has mentioned. If guests take this brochure into a restaurant and demand they be served as said, and the manager chooses to honor it... the waitstaff will be stiffed their tips. While the manager has the ability to throw in an appetizer, the system is no longer set up to track tips. Not that I think anyone on this board would knowingly do that, but the non-DISing public might.

OK...
I booked my trip on the first day available. I haven't received any kind of packet. Did everyone who booked so far get one? Do I have a problem?

I didn't get a packet and our trip is paid in full, so I'm now worried about not getting a packet!

I don't know if maybe the packet is a new thing? :confused3 I have never received a packet for any of my trips, other than the travel docs and receipt from my TA. I never received brochures such as posted, even though we did DDP in 06 and 07. If you have your receipt showing you paid in full, I'd say don't stress over the packet.

Hi everyone,
We are going in Sept. also and we haven't received any kind of packet at all. Did you guys get those packets because you have paid in full already? We're waiting until right before our final is due to pay it all off. Just wondering when we will get a packet. I'm very excited about our trip and anything Disney is getting me more excited so I would love to see some information arrive in the mail!!

I know what you're saying, but you're basing it on the assumption that everyone will be like me and know the difference. I've been reading that dining managers are getting so many complaints about the new plan changes that they're actually keeping a running tally. This kind of mistake does nothing but add fuel to the already large fire. (1) why would you not shred your 2007 information...(2) why would you make your 2008 information card look identical to the 2007 one, that just adds to the confusion. I actually did have to sit down and explain to my Fiance that it was wrong and we wouldn't likely get it, which kinda bummed her out....so while I knew the difference, she didn't and had her hopes up. Plus the fact that this "mistake" is being made in more than just my case...as I'm apparantly not the only one who recieved this.

I understand and agree with what you're saying here. Luckily I read these boards and know of the changes to the dining plan. But if I didn't I would be clueless. When I called to add the DP to my ressie with DVC they did not tell me of the changes when I called to add it nor did they explain it when I called to make my ADR's.

Hi everyone,
We are going in Sept. also and we haven't received any kind of packet at all. Did you guys get those packets because you have paid in full already? We're waiting until right before our final is due to pay it all off. Just wondering when we will get a packet. I'm very excited about our trip and anything Disney is getting me more excited so I would love to see some information arrive in the mail!!

Ours is paid in full and I've not received anything yet!

A few thoughts...

1) Since OP is receiving the 'free' DDP... there was no charge for having added the plan, so this is not a case of being charged for something that will not be received. That makes it a bit different than having an additional, unexpected charge added on after booking at an agreed upon rate. The price paid for their vacation package has not changed.

2) The OP will not fail to receive anything that was stated to be part of their MYW package, and in the terms for the 2008 DDP plan (which were available for their review prior to booking). It is my understanding that the incorrect (2007) pamphlet was mailed out after their reservation was made. They booked with the 2008 DDP, and that is what they will receive... so I honestly do not see this as being a 'bait & switch'.

3) The pamphlet in question, as confirmed by several posters, bears the 07 date on it. So the terms would have been applicable to the 2007 DDP--not the 2008 DDP. Unfortunate, and potentially confusing? Yes. But accidentally receiving an old, 2007 pamphlet in the mail does not change the terms of the 2008 plan, nor the fact that the 2008 DDP is what people have booked.

4) If I were a manager at a WDW restaurant, and someone showed me a 2007 DDP pamphlet and expected those terms to be honored in 2008, I'd probably be inclined to go get them a copy of the current 2008 DDP terms and point out the differences. Hey, if anyone feels entitled to something that is not a part of the current DDP, and wants to ask for free appies... go right ahead. But honestly, I don't see how having a 2007 pamphlet in hand makes one entitled to anything more than the actual terms of the 2008 DDP which one has booked.

It is a shame that somehow some of the old, 2007 pamphlets found their way into recent mailings. And I can certainly understand where some people--those who may fail to read the fine print, or research what they are actually purchasing--might be confused by them. But that does not change the terms of the 2008 DDP, which are clearly published numerous places. Until & unless WDW announces changes to their current DDP, I wouldn't expect to receive any 'extras' beyond what the actual 2008 DDP includes.

Now if WDW would decide to add back in the free appies and gratuities to the DDP for 2009... I for one would not have a problem with that! I might even seriously consider booking a package w. DDP, if the price were right. popcorn::

Between phone calls and posts on various internet boards Disney should already be aware of the situation.

There isn't any reason why Disney can't send out a letter with a copy of the correct brochure. Include a coupon for something free. Could be a pin, an appetizer or a free round of mini-golf.

Disney may have some issues if they don't do anything to correct the misinformation that was previous provided. Waiting until guests check in isn't really fair.

We check in for free dining on August 24th, we got our welcome package today. We do indeed have the brochure included in our package that says .
One Table Service Meal - includes entree and juice for breakfast ; appititizer, entree, dessert and and non-alcoholic beverage for lunch and dinner.
All meals include tax and gratuities.

Ours was misprinted for the deluxe plan also. It stated the things that are included in the basic plan but at the top it said deluxe plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter