• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DECEMBER 2017 DISCOUNTS AND CODE WATCH

Got a UC in my email---room only discount but must be booked by July 7th....that being said, I can't seem to find anything available:( looks like I will have to call down and see if anything is available for that or free dining...if only I knew we were going to be going down a few weeks ago.

Got a UC in my email---room only discount but must be booked by July 7th....that being said, I can't seem to find anything available:( looks like I will have to call down and see if anything is available for that or free dining...if only I knew we were going to be going down a few weeks ago.

Did you just get the email yesterday ? What dates was it good for?

Did you just get the email yesterday ? What dates was it good for?

My mom gets UOCs, and received the latest one, as well. I called as we are planning a trip together for 11/29-12/4. The dates are good from early October through 12/24. I was initially excited to hear that the resorts of our choice (BWI, YC, and GF) are 30% off. The excitement ended quickly when the CM told me all that was available for our dates are basically CL suites and 2-bedroom suites, and only in 2 resorts and they were going for 4k and 9k for the 5 nights and for just the rooms (no tickets). So not a good deal for us and way out of our league. I'm basically looking for garden view or standard rooms. Oh well, will have to wait for the Disney Visa or general public offer!

My mom gets UOCs, and received the latest one, as well. I called as we are planning a trip together for 11/29-12/4. The dates are good from early October through 12/24. I was initially excited to hear that the resorts of our choice (BWI, YC, and GF) are 30% off. The excitement ended quickly when the CM told me all that was available for our dates are basically CL suites and 2-bedroom suites, and only in 2 resorts and they were going for 4k and 9k for the 5 nights and for just the rooms (no tickets). So not a good deal for us and way out of our league. I'm basically looking for garden view or standard rooms. Oh well, will have to wait for the Disney Visa or general public offer!

That's what I have been hearing :(

I was hoping maybe today ... but I think it's historically the wrong day of the week (and they would've been out already)...

That's what I have been hearing :(
What are uoc's? Do you think they will do a RO if all the resorts are already booked? I feel like the first week of December was booked at most resorts. The CM's I've talked to sound promising. All three said there is ALWAYS a room offer discount it's just a matter of when it comes out and that it's usually in the summer sometime. So by them saying always yet the resorts are already all booked, I'm still a little weary. I'm assuming a good percentage of people book a resort counting on a room offer coming out and will either cancel vacation, switch to a cheaper resort or switch to off property freeing up a bunch of rooms and then screwing Disney. Think they think of that?

What are uoc's? Do you think they will do a RO if all the resorts are already booked? I feel like the first week of December was booked at most resorts. The CM's I've talked to sound promising. All three said there is ALWAYS a room offer discount it's just a matter of when it comes out and that it's usually in the summer sometime. So by them saying always yet the resorts are already all booked, I'm still a little weary. I'm assuming a good percentage of people book a resort counting on a room offer coming out and will either cancel vacation, switch to a cheaper resort or switch to off property freeing up a bunch of rooms and then screwing Disney. Think they think of that?

I am wondering the same! I have my room booked at AKL for the week of December 9th, and it currently shows no more avaliablity for type of room I have. If that's the case, will they not offer a discount for my room? I am going to keep the room regardless... but it would just be nice to get a percentage off!!!

There's always a lot of turn over, and often a week or two after the discount is offered, particularly because people cancel their original reservations after they secure a new discounted one. In my experience, the first few days of a discount sometimes have less of what I was hoping to see and then more pops up, but who knows--things change, resort attendance is up and you just can't count on what has been offered historically, because Disney's offers are gettng less generous while prices and attendance go up. But here's hoping the offer (which I'm hoping will come out monday) is a good one!

Last edited:
What are uoc's?
UOCs are unique offer codes, or PIN codes for special discounts. I don't get them, but my mom does. However, at this point, I haven't seen that they'd help me anyway, since the only rooms they seem to include are very expensive suites.

There's always a lot of turn over, and often a week or two after the discount is offered, particularly because people cancel their original reservations after they secure a new discounted one. In my experience, the first few days of a discount sometimes have less of what I was hoping to see and then more pops up, but who knows--things change, resort attendance is up and you just can't count of what has been offered historically, because Disney's offers are gettng less generous while prices and attendance go up. But here's hoping the offer (which I'm hoping will come out monday) is a good one!
Monday? Ooohhh keeping a look out.
I thought Disney is in the negative this year? Could've sworn I read that attendance has been low.

I'm assuming a good percentage of people book a resort counting on a room offer coming out and will either cancel vacation, switch to a cheaper resort or switch to off property freeing up a bunch of rooms and then screwing Disney. Think they think of that?

Hey Monica, I might be one of these screw-ers, I guess? I don't see what is so wrong with that. Room only bookings at Disney and most other places are able to be canceled without penalty within a certain window before your stay begins. Is everyone who cancels or alters a travel plan based on financial and other concerns "screwing" the lodger? I have to respectfully disagree with you and say they are not.

This will only be our second visit to Disney, but we are considering the purchase of Annual Passes. We have a room held at POFQ, where we very much want to stay. However, if a really good discount gets announced elsewhere I could see switching to a split stay (I know POFQ is unlikely to get discounted). On a future visit I could see changing resorts entirely. Same if I get an AP- I could see easily switching or booking somewhere simply for the deal. The motivation to do this is only increased by Disney's complex room release/reservation system. I only recently learned that you cannot upgrade a room only to a package or a dining only package. You must cancel your existing room only reservation and then re-book from their designated package inventory. So say I decide to upgrade to a package and there is no inventory. I would be forced to cancel my room reservation. I feel very strongly that the company encourages people to cancel or alter reservations with the way they release discounts and limit inventories. They may have their reasons for doing so, but you can easily argue that so do the people who need to alter their plans based on the company's actions.

Furthermore, I think the company outright encourages their market to book a vacation before they have the funds to do so. They encourage this through things like the Chase Disney Visa- which offers promotions like 0% interest on a Disney vacation for 12 months. They have a Disney Vacation Account, which enables guests to start saving and planning maybe even before they have a trip lined up. They also only take a minimal booking fee on reservations- both package and room only (as do most hotels). They want business. I really doubt they care that people cancel and re-book elsewhere. Now when people leave to go offsite, that might sting more. But in the grand scheme of their intake that is a minimal loss- and one presumably filled by other willing guests. I am also very sure the company thinks of that, just as I am sure guests have been doing it for as long as Disney has had these systems in place. I would also wager that the discounts often encourage people to upgrade- and am also willing to bet that the company is going to continue to push towards that end. Guests who stay on property slightly longer at a "better" rate spend more on property. Guests that justify a "better" room or resort because of the discount are spending more money.

It's pretty old now, but I'm too busy to look for a more recent study (It's a 2010 Applied Quality of Life Study):

https://link.springer.com/article/1...paign=3_nsn6445_deeplink&utm_content=deeplink

In short, people are happiest in the planning stage of their vacation. Disney very wisely utilizes this to their utmost advantage. They want people to tediously labor over plans. They want people to watch ride videos and lust in anticipation. They want people to check their website for updates daily. The more of your time and thought they have the more of your money they ultimately have. The biggest pat on the back for them is the community of bloggers and youtubers and online networks of people who do this for them. So yeah, I really don't think they are feeling "screwed" by the product of their own design- and one that ultimately makes them more cash in the end.

If the resort is currently booked, it might still be included in the discount but there will likely be no availability for the discount when the offer comes out ... for example, the wilderness Lodge has been booked up for months in early December so likely when the discount comes out it will be included but there will be no rooms available .. Many people including myself are totally disgusted with the quick service dining which may result in people switching but I don't think it's common knowledge right now that the menu has changed.

Hey Monica, I might be one of these screw-ers, I guess? I don't see what is so wrong with that. Room only bookings at Disney and most other places are able to be canceled without penalty within a certain window before your stay begins. Is everyone who cancels or alters a travel plan based on financial and other concerns "screwing" the lodger? I have to respectfully disagree with you and say they are not.

This will only be our second visit to Disney, but we are considering the purchase of Annual Passes. We have a room held at POFQ, where we very much want to stay. However, if a really good discount gets announced elsewhere I could see switching to a split stay (I know POFQ is unlikely to get discounted). On a future visit I could see changing resorts entirely. Same if I get an AP- I could see easily switching or booking somewhere simply for the deal. The motivation to do this is only increased by Disney's complex room release/reservation system. I only recently learned that you cannot upgrade a room only to a package or a dining only package. You must cancel your existing room only reservation and then re-book from their designated package inventory. So say I decide to upgrade to a package and there is no inventory. I would be forced to cancel my room reservation. I feel very strongly that the company encourages people to cancel or alter reservations with the way they release discounts and limit inventories. They may have their reasons for doing so, but you can easily argue that so do the people who need to alter their plans based on the company's actions.

Furthermore, I think the company outright encourages their market to book a vacation before they have the funds to do so. They encourage this through things like the Chase Disney Visa- which offers promotions like 0% interest on a Disney vacation for 12 months. They have a Disney Vacation Account, which enables guests to start saving and planning maybe even before they have a trip lined up. They also only take a minimal booking fee on reservations- both package and room only (as do most hotels). They want business. I really doubt they care that people cancel and re-book elsewhere. Now when people leave to go offsite, that might sting more. But in the grand scheme of their intake that is a minimal loss- and one presumably filled by other willing guests. I am also very sure the company thinks of that, just as I am sure guests have been doing it for as long as Disney has had these systems in place. I would also wager that the discounts often encourage people to upgrade- and am also willing to bet that the company is going to continue to push towards that end. Guests who stay on property slightly longer at a "better" rate spend more on property. Guests that justify a "better" room or resort because of the discount are spending more money.

It's pretty old now, but I'm too busy to look for a more recent study (It's a 2010 Applied Quality of Life Study):

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11482-009-9091-9?wt_mc=Affiliate.CommissionJunction.Authors.3.EPR1089.DeepLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=commission_junction_authors&utm_campaign=3_nsn6445_deeplink&utm_content=deeplink

In short, people are happiest in the planning stage of their vacation. Disney very wisely utilizes this to their utmost advantage. They want people to tediously labor over plans. They want people to watch ride videos and lust in anticipation. They want people to check their website for updates daily. The more of your time and thought they have the more of your money they ultimately have. The biggest pat on the back for them is the community of bloggers and youtubers and online networks of people who do this for them. So yeah, I really don't think they are feeling "screwed" by the product of their own design- and one that ultimately makes them more cash in the end.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't have a problem with switching resorts based on promotions and an one of those. It's just what you have to do. Plenty of times I have booked a deluxe resort I just couldn't afford without a promotion and took the chance for the promotion to come out. It did thank God but if it hadn't I would never have payed rack rate and would've switched to a cheaper resort. Fortunately we are able to stay at AKL without a room rate but if we choose to book BC or another higher end deluxe, I would be switching for sure if the resort didn't give a promotion. I am currently waiting for the promotion to decide if we will do the memory maker and a few other things so Disney will be getting our money one way or another lol. Fingers crossed for Monday!

If the resort is currently booked, it might still be included in the discount but there will likely be no availability for the discount when the offer comes out ... for example, the wilderness Lodge has been booked up for months in early December so likely when the discount comes out it will be included but there will be no rooms available .. Many people including myself are totally disgusted with the quick service dining which may result in people switching but I don't think it's common knowledge right now that the menu has changed.
Liked I've said before, don't switch to bc/UFC then. Their cs is the worst of the worst.

So how many people think the discount is going to come out on Monday ? Has anyone heard any rumors ? A few discounts are expiring today I believe

So how many people think the discount is going to come out on Monday ? Has anyone heard any rumors ? A few discounts are expiring today I believe

Not sure we can be sure.

In 2014 and 2015 discounts were announced in the third and fourth weekend of July. In 2016, however, no discounts were announced until August- even after the current listings expired.

You're correct that two are falling off today- free dining for disney visa and general public. Next Friday another one ends, a room only discount for the general public.

It's possible they announce one, but I would place more bets on July 24th at the earliest- August 14th at the latest.

Not sure we can be sure.

In 2014 and 2015 discounts were announced in the third and fourth weekend of July. In 2016, however, no discounts were announced until August- even after the current listings expired.

You're correct that two are falling off today- free dining for disney visa and general public. Next Friday another one ends, a room only discount for the general public.

It's possible they announce one, but I would place more bets on July 24th at the earliest- August 14th at the latest.
Last year they didn't come out until the second week in August and in 2015 not until the 3rd week in July so I'm not counting on it being Monday. I figure we should start looking daily but like you said, I'd expect it anywhere from next week until 3rd week in august

We received a UOC by email yesterday (July 7) - "save upto 30% on rooms at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels!
For stays most nights 5/28–8/31/17. Book by 7/14/17".

Right now for Canadians there are 6 public offers available, 3 of which are passholder and 1 is Aulani. The first end date for WDW offers is July 14, then August 31.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter