December 2014 anyone?

Planning our 1st Christmas trip ever for 12/19 - 12/29! Took advantage of the ticket deal with the 20% off listed in the budget boards saving about the price of 1 of four 8 day with park hopper tickets ($390)! I know room discounts are hard to come by for this time of year, but could anyone tell me if they know if AAA has any discounts? I have yet to check, but I am a member. For once, winter can't come soon enough next year!

Only wish I could get my 23 year old single son to come, as Christmas is not going to be the same without him He hates crowds and adamantly claims he doesn't want to be there. :sad1::sad2:

We typically travel to Disney in August, but we are considering a trip to Disney December 21-28. Is this absolutely insane? I am a teacher, so I am limited to certain times of the school year. I was just curious about the crowds. I find August to be very manageable, but I'm worried about the holidays. Also, the pricing is ridiculous. We stayed at the Poly in August. We are thinking WL this time around.

Yes, honestly, it is insane. That doesn't mean you can't find a way to manage it and have a wonderful time. I remember the year I went during that time I walked off the monorail toward the MK turnstiles and for the first time ever, I wanted to turn around and go home. It was a crushing sea of humanity! Body-to-body. I would go at that time again if I absolutely had to but would be armed with a mighty plan to conquer! I would be there earlier than anyone, have a very careful plan laid out and would lower my expectations for how many things we could do and just choose to enjoy the overall theme and festivities. Adjust your expectations, go counterclockwise (figuratively) when most are going clockwise!

Booked 12/11 to 12/15 yesterday on a bounceback to Wilderness Lodge!

We are going to be there Dec.6-11th. We are staying at the Art of Animation Resort. We are hoping to celebrate Christmas with our son while we are there.

Yes, honestly, it is insane. That doesn't mean you can't find a way to manage it and have a wonderful time. I remember the year I went during that time I walked off the monorail toward the MK turnstiles and for the first time ever, I wanted to turn around and go home. It was a crushing sea of humanity! Body-to-body. I would go at that time again if I absolutely had to but would be armed with a mighty plan to conquer! I would be there earlier than anyone, have a very careful plan laid out and would lower my expectations for how many things we could do and just choose to enjoy the overall theme and festivities. Adjust your expectations, go counterclockwise (figuratively) when most are going clockwise!

I respectfully disagree - we thought it was magical at Christmas, not at all insane. We were there 2 years ago at Christmas after going two times in August, and we MUCH prefer Christmas (hence us heading back again this year!) Aside from the noon hour parade on Christmas day, we didn't find the crowds a problem AT ALL. In fact, Christmas Eve day, we were there just after rope drop and did our Buzz x3 SMx3 with no wait, before going on to tour the rest of MK and leave just around noon. Went back late that night for the fireworks and we were the only ones on our bus back to the resort that night - which we could NOT believe. I do agree that the key is PLANNING, and getting in early, and then getting back out early for time at the resort or DTD etc in the afternoon before heading back later at night. Hope you have a FANTASTIC trip!!

I respectfully disagree - we thought it was magical at Christmas, not at all insane. We were there 2 years ago at Christmas after going two times in August, and we MUCH prefer Christmas (hence us heading back again this year!) Aside from the noon hour parade on Christmas day, we didn't find the crowds a problem AT ALL. In fact, Christmas Eve day, we were there just after rope drop and did our Buzz x3 SMx3 with no wait, before going on to tour the rest of MK and leave just around noon. Went back late that night for the fireworks and we were the only ones on our bus back to the resort that night - which we could NOT believe. I do agree that the key is PLANNING, and getting in early, and then getting back out early for time at the resort or DTD etc in the afternoon before heading back later at night. Hope you have a FANTASTIC trip!!

I think we are talking about two entirely different sets of dates. You went back home on the 26th of December in 2011. The dates she is looking at for this year are after that...the week FOLLOWING Christmas. That is an entirely different ballgame than the dates you experienced. A quick look at touringplans.com or any site with historical crowd numbers or predictions will confirm this. I stand by my statement that the dates she is referring to will have "insane" crowds...but am in agreement with you that with a good plan and proper expectations they can still have a great time.

I think we are talking about two entirely different sets of dates. You went back home on the 26th of December in 2011. The dates she is looking at for this year are after that...the week FOLLOWING Christmas. That is an entirely different ballgame than the dates you experienced. A quick look at touringplans.com or any site with historical crowd numbers or predictions will confirm this. I stand by my statement that the dates she is referring to will have "insane" crowds...but am in agreement with you that with a good plan and proper expectations they can still have a great time.

Yup. This.
The busiest week at Disney is the week between Christmas and New Year's.

...Which means I'm "insane" ;)
Just booked Shades of Green for Dec 28 - Jan 4. At least we'll have the first few days of January to cool down a bit, and we've been enough that it's not as big of a deal if we don't get everything done.
I've been then before, and it was pre-DISboards, so there was no planning involved, and it was still a lovely trip. As you indicated, it's just about managing expectations.

I would plan for a different time, but our schedule for the next year or so won't allow it. It's either plan now, or wait a year and then possibly have to wait another.

My DH and I are doing a quick trip in December. We will be in Orlando December 6 through 10. First 2 nights will be at Universal and 3 nights in Disney to see the Christmas decorations. :santa:

Hi. I am new to disboards. Our family is going to WDW from December 24 - 30, 2014. We went for the exact same time frame in 2011. It will be my hubby, myself, our three daughters (12, 11, and 9 at time of trip) and my MIL.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Yup. This.
The busiest week at Disney is the week between Christmas and New Year's.

...Which means I'm "insane" ;)
Just booked Shades of Green for Dec 28 - Jan 4. At least we'll have the first few days of January to cool down a bit, and we've been enough that it's not as big of a deal if we don't get everything done.
I've been then before, and it was pre-DISboards, so there was no planning involved, and it was still a lovely trip. As you indicated, it's just about managing expectations.

I would plan for a different time, but our schedule for the next year or so won't allow it. It's either plan now, or wait a year and then possibly have to wait another.

I just wanted to say that I have only been with my family at Christmas...the BUSIEST time...from 12/24/11 through 12/29/11. My kids were 6, 8, and 9 at the time. We made good use of the Early Magic Hours and we seriously had the best time of our lives. The worst crowds we dealt with was at the "Wishes" fireworks which we went to on Christmas Eve. I would suggest doing a park other than The Magic Kingdom on Christmas day as it is the most popular park for the day, therefore the most crowded. We went to Epcot and Hollywood Studios on Christmas day and had no problems doing everything we wanted. We had such a great time that we are going back this year at the exact same time. People told me I was crazy and I was going to be miserable because it was going to be so crowded and we weren't going to be able to do anything. That was totally not the case. Just plan, plan, plan. Make use of Magic Hours and Fast Passes. Make time for "down-time", especially if you have younger kids.

I just wanted to say that I have only been with my family at Christmas...the BUSIEST time...from 12/24/11 through 12/29/11. My kids were 6, 8, and 9 at the time. We made good use of the Early Magic Hours and we seriously had the best time of our lives. The worst crowds we dealt with was at the "Wishes" fireworks which we went to on Christmas Eve. I would suggest doing a park other than The Magic Kingdom on Christmas day as it is the most popular park for the day, therefore the most crowded. We went to Epcot and Hollywood Studios on Christmas day and had no problems doing everything we wanted. We had such a great time that we are going back this year at the exact same time. People told me I was crazy and I was going to be miserable because it was going to be so crowded and we weren't going to be able to do anything. That was totally not the case. Just plan, plan, plan. Make use of Magic Hours and Fast Passes. Make time for "down-time", especially if you have younger kids.

we didn't even stay for the fireworks during our trip last year, not during a busy time, so i'm not worried...the mk also tends to reach capacity on new years eve, so i'll plan around that easily enough...and we always take breaks. it will actually be easier to do so during this time because the parks stay open super late. we tend to travel during value season as much as possible, so often the latest any park is open is 9pm, and we sometimes don't even return to a park in the evening for that reason, if not for bedtime. i truly think we'll be fine.

:thumbsup2 We went in Dec 2011 from 12/20-12/27 and concur with what you said but with one suggestion. We did RD on Christmas morning at MK. I dragged my kids out of bed at 6am and hopped on the bus and did all of the major rides like 3-4 times and told my daughters we would head back to CBR at 10:30am. My kids said why 10:30am and I said you'll see why. When we were leaving I pointed to the VERY long lines for entrance to the park and said that's why we are leaving at this time. Went back to resort and took naps.

We added one day to trip 12/23 to take advantage of the dinning offer are you going to do the same? Arriving on the 23rd also has better times and choices for frequent flyer miles than on xmas eve.

Hi. I am new to disboards. Our family is going to WDW from December 24 - 30, 2014. We went for the exact same time frame in 2011. It will be my hubby, myself, our three daughters (12, 11, and 9 at time of trip) and my MIL.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Hi Everyone:wave2:
Just booked December 23 - January 1. This will be our first Christmas Trip so any thoughts or advice would be great. We usually go in July. We've been every summer for the past ten years. This will be our first experience with FP+ and Magic Bands. Last summer we were at the WL and were not part of the test.

I can NOT tell you how excited we are. Family of five DH, me, DD (23), DS (20), and DDBF (28)

We don't have frequent flyer miles so that won't affect me, but I'm curious, if we start the trip on 12/23 instead of 12/24, does the free meal plan only apply to 12/23 or does it carry through for the entire trip since we started on 12/23? Guess I will have to look into that.

We added one day to trip 12/23 to take advantage of the dinning offer are you going to do the same? Arriving on the 23rd also has better times and choices for frequent flyer miles than on xmas eve.

I am looking into adding the day. We are currently reserved at the AOA Nemo and looking online, Nemo rooms aren't available, so my travel agent friend who reserved it for me is calling Disney to see if we can add 12/23/14 to our current reservation. Otherwise I will have to cancel my current reservation and reserve just a "Family Suite" and take what I get at check-in. I am hoping they will extend my current reservation because my girls really want to stay in the Nemo Room and will be a little disappointed if they get stuck in a Cars room. But I guess for the money savings we will take what we can get because essentially we would end up getting an entire day extra at no additional cost (actually a little less $$)

We don't have frequent flyer miles so that won't affect me, but I'm curious, if we start the trip on 12/23 instead of 12/24, does the free meal plan only apply to 12/23 or does it carry through for the entire trip since we started on 12/23? Guess I will have to look into that.

I just booked for arrival on December 23 and have it for the whole trip through Jan. 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter