DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Wait til you have two in college and what's wrong with putting funds into DVC and Disney vacations? I call it my SKI trips - Spend Kids Inheritance :rotfl:

Nothing wrong with that. Just wondered where I would be if I had saved more money. Our Governor is waging war on the KY Pension systems. When hired in, the plan was 27 years of service is eligible for retirement. I could have retired prior to age 50 with everything paid off and just work when/if I wanted. Now, he is proposing to change that to 65 because of inadequate funding and bad fund management on the employer side, even though employees had mandatory contributions. When I look at the balances, my own retirement accounts have performed significantly better. I know its posturing and they hopefully will settle on something, but this will certainly change my 5 year plan. The plan also proposed a buy out, but no specific numbers.

wow first post on page 666 HHHHMMMMM

Drive-by has mark of the beast page ownage?
:scared1::eek::scared1::eek::scared1:

Nothing wrong with that. Just wondered where I would be if I had saved more money. Our Governor is waging war on the KY Pension systems. When hired in, the plan was 27 years of service is eligible for retirement. I could have retired prior to age 50 with everything paid off and just work when/if I wanted. Now, he is proposing to change that to 65 because of inadequate funding and bad fund management on the employer side, even though employees had mandatory contributions. When I look at the balances, my own retirement accounts have performed significantly better. I know its posturing and they hopefully will settle on something, but this will certainly change my 5 year plan. The plan also proposed a buy out, but no specific numbers.

:scared1::eek::scared1::eek::scared1:

I hope they get the pension stuff worked out and that you don't get shorted too much. Retiring by 50 would be great. I'd be happy if it could retire by 55, but my big concern will be insurance. Medical insurance will eat up a big part of my retirement savings if I am not eligible for medicaid.

You mean translating the rest of the world into 'merican.
America is just like the rest of the world except we know how to properly cook bacon and we understand that a "large" drink should be enough to burst your kidneys.

I hope they get the pension stuff worked out and that you don't get shorted too much. Retiring by 50 would be great. I'd be happy if it could retire by 55, but my big concern will be insurance. Medical insurance will eat up a big part of my retirement savings if I am not eligible for medicaid.

America is just like the rest of the world except we know how to properly cook bacon and we understand that a "large" drink should be enough to burst your kidneys.
You might try checking out Christian Health Ministries as an option.
No, I'm not employed by nor receive any benefit from this...just something I'm looking into myself.
One of the guys from church told me about it.
If you decide to, PM me, because I think I remember some type of referral benefit, so I wouldn't mind getting that for my brother at church or I can put you and he in contact with each other.

I was considering medi-share, but this is more affordable.

Sorry about the pension stuff, retirement is getting harder and harder to do effectively let alone early...................
Yea would love to retire at 60 or 62 but health care insurance is definitely the wild card as medicare don't start until 65.
And that a beer needs to be cold - sorry this is for Asia and Europe not Canada as up there they serve beer right.

Make American great again. :lmao:

I won't actually retire at 50. I plan to keep my other job until they get rid of me or i win the lotto. It would be nice to only work one job and have retirement from another one.

Sorry about the pension stuff, retirement is getting harder and harder to do effectively let alone early................

I get that it is sort of a ponzi scheme, especially with government. In the private sector, I'm not as sure. I get it that CEOs and stockholders want profits to go to them in lieu of retired workers.

But in government, I and other employees were required to pay (mandatory withdrawal) 8% of their income towards future retirement. I matched that 8% in my own seperate retirement account thankfully. Sadly, poor fund management and huge salaries to manage these funds have led to the downfall. And, instead of having management consequences, employees just get screwed again.

And that a beer needs to be cold - sorry this is for Asia and Europe not Canada as up there they serve beer right
Mikey.......don't be that guy.......
we understand that a "large" drink should be enough to burst your kidneys.
With a free refill. Just in case you only blow one kidney.
Sorry about the pension stuff, retirement is getting harder and harder to do effectively let alone early...................
Its the same here. The only real way to do it over here is with property.

I won't actually retire at 50. I plan to keep my other job until they get rid of me or i win the lotto. It would be nice to only work one job and have retirement from another one.

I get that it is sort of a ponzi scheme, especially with government. In the private sector, I'm not as sure. I get it that CEOs and stockholders want profits to go to them in lieu of retired workers.

But in government, I and other employees were required to pay (mandatory withdrawal) 8% of their income towards future retirement. I matched that 8% in my own seperate retirement account thankfully. Sadly, poor fund management and huge salaries to manage these funds have led to the downfall. And, instead of having management consequences, employees just get screwed again.

That's almost always the case. Layoffs are a result of mis-management, but who gets hurt...the employees.

I'm looking hard at my finances to see if I can make it work well before 66 1/2 or 67 or 80, whatever they have it at now. :sad2:

Might mean a lot less WDW trips, but that might be a fair trade off.

You might try checking out Christian Health Ministries as an option.
No, I'm not employed by nor receive any benefit from this...just something I'm looking into myself.
One of the guys from church told me about it.
If you decide to, PM me, because I think I remember some type of referral benefit, so I wouldn't mind getting that for my brother at church or I can put you and he in contact with each other.

I was considering medi-share, but this is more affordable.
My Sister is doing medi-share and likes it. I am still in my early 40s so I (hopefully) still have a long time getting insurance through my employer.

And that a beer needs to be cold - sorry this is for Asia and Europe not Canada as up there they serve beer right.
To be fair In Canada isn't everything cold?

Retirement for me will most likely be a shift from my current job to something else that I enjoy. I actually enjoy what I do a lot so it wouldn't be bad to be able to retire and just start working 2 or 3 days a week doing the same thing. My pipe dream is still moving to Florida and doing something for Disney, but we have a really close knit group of friends here in NC and I think it would be really hard to leave that even if I find a dream job at Disney.

I'm kind of glad I don't need to factor medical care into a retirement decision. It's hard enough as it is. The Canadian system is far from perfect but at least it won't cost me anything more, well besides the higher taxes...

At the orthodontist with youngest this AM. Nothing like having two with braces at the same time.
Ouch. My oldest had them up to last year? What's the cost like there? Here they were $6000 (Canadian). Not fun.

. I guess fantasies of napping is about as good as we get at our age. :lmao:
Yep

Unless you buy DVC and spend it all on Disney vacations. :headache:
I wouldn't mind getting some time off to spend money on Disney vacations.

I call it my SKI trips - Spend Kids Inheritance
Really looking forward to the day I can take some SKI trips!

sorry this is for Asia and Europe not Canada as up there they serve beer right.
I lived in Scotland for a year and I never got used to the warm beer. I'm actually not much of a beer drinker but it has to be cold.

Touché

'Morning all...
Hope y’all are well and extra thoughts for the ones in the path of the storm.

Been a mite busy but I figured I should get at least one post in on the lucky page.

what's wrong with putting funds into DVC and Disney vacations? I call it my SKI trips - Spend Kids Inheritance :rotfl:
I like the idea.
Just wish there was an inheritance that I could be spending.

Who was that masked man?

Our Governor is waging war on the KY Pension systems. When hired in, the plan was 27 years of service is eligible for retirement. I could have retired prior to age 50 with everything paid off and just work when/if I wanted. Now, he is proposing to change that to 65 because of inadequate funding and bad fund management on the employer side, even though employees had mandatory contributions. When I look at the balances, my own retirement accounts have performed significantly better. I know its posturing and they hopefully will settle on something, but this will certainly change my 5 year plan.
May more reasonable heads prevail.

Unfortunately, it’s also true that if a politician even thinks that they could get two votes by hurting one person, they’re going to hurt ‘em.

:laughing: Yeah, that sounds a bit like us.

I'm kind of glad I don't need to factor medical care into a retirement decision. It's hard enough as it is. The Canadian system is far from perfect but at least it won't cost me anything more, well besides the higher taxes...
I don’t know…
Seems like a decent trade off to me.

My oldest had them up to last year? What's the cost like there? Here they were $6000 (Canadian). Not fun.
That’s about what a set costs down this way.
Assuming you have to pay the whole bill out of pocket.
(which is more common than not)

rachel-mcadams-august-getty-dress-oscars-2016-jpg.265649
Undoubtedly she “looks” hot…
But that don’t mean she isn’t “cold”.
I mean, how would we know?

Hope your Wednesday is fantastic and for those fortunate enough (not me :sad2:), the beginning of a long weekend.
Me neither…
Bless those who do.

Happy Wednesday. Made it to the gym. Office is a bit more difficult to swallow. I'll make it in at some point.

That's almost always the case. Layoffs are a result of mis-management, but who gets hurt...the employees.

I'm looking hard at my finances to see if I can make it work well before 66 1/2 or 67 or 80, whatever they have it at now. :sad2:

Might mean a lot less WDW trips, but that might be a fair trade off.

I think we are in good shape. Should have house paid off in 5 years and individual retirement accounts should be good. What do i want to do between now and 60?

Retirement for me will most likely be a shift from my current job to something else that I enjoy. I actually enjoy what I do a lot so it wouldn't be bad to be able to retire and just start working 2 or 3 days a week doing the same thing. My pipe dream is still moving to Florida and doing something for Disney, but we have a really close knit group of friends here in NC and I think it would be really hard to leave that even if I find a dream job at Disney.

We will move closer to the beach. DW breathes better (asthma) when closer to the ocean, which is why i want to move sooner than later. Without a retirement account to wait for, we can go now. We'll just live in the camper in CJ's front yard until I find work. :lmao:

Ouch. My oldest had them up to last year? What's the cost like there? Here they were $6000 (Canadian).

The most recent was $5500. My oldest is already paid off, but she had expanders and other devices before we got to braces.

::yes::

May more reasonable heads prevail.

Unfortunately, it’s also true that if a politician even thinks that they could get two votes by hurting one person, they’re going to hurt ‘em

Let's hope. Governor still has to get it passed the legislature, and he is taking on all the teachers. His plan even raises the retirement ages on police officers, so they aren't supporting him. Unsurprisingly, the legislature and judicial retirements will not be changed at all. I can't imagine how this gets passed in this current form without backlash from so many groups. Still, it's KY politics, so who knows. We consistently are the last to do anything to increase tax revenue other than dousing the non-wealthy already living here.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Looking forward to a long weekend as I took off Tuesday as well. Heading down to Dauphin Island (AL) with friends that we call the "soccer parents" for some fishing, boating and just plain relaxing with good friends.
Mikey.......don't be that guy.......
Sorry, has to be cold
I lived in Scotland for a year and I never got used to the warm beer. I'm actually not much of a beer drinker but it has to be cold.
Beer must be cold!
See Dan, if the Canadians say so.........................
Oh, good point
Undoubtedly she “looks” hot…
But that don’t mean she isn’t “cold”.
I mean, how would we know?
Yea, what he said
:laughing: Yeah, that sounds a bit like us.
Sure does

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter