• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

The kid GOT A JOB. They hired her yesterday to work in the lab doing something with the equipment. Primarily I think is making sure used things like petri dishes go through a cleaning and sterilization process. Twenty hours a week.
That's awesome, congrats to the PP!

I think it is my excellent skills as a sport liaison that has gotten them this far. ;)

Well, sure. What else would it be?

UPDATE: Two lightning strikes within seconds just hit the block over. Not sure if their transformer got hit again. Pretty cool but it scared the crap out of the mutt I did not want.

Whoa. Better keep your head down.

Happy Wednesday. Oil change, haircut, laundry. Taking the girls to see new Spiderman movie today. My turn to sit out tennis tonight. I haven't been going to the gym and using my toe as an excuse. It still hurts and hasn't healed.

Seems legit to me. Back to the movies!

The kid GOT A JOB.

Excellent! Gotta start somewhere.

The kid GOT A JOB. They hired her yesterday to work in the lab doing something with the equipment. Primarily I think is making sure used things like petri dishes go through a cleaning and sterilization process. Twenty hours a week.
Good deal and congrats to the Pirate Princess!

Back from the Spiderman movie. It is really good. No spoilers, but i did find it was funny that Michael Keaton, the original DC Batman, is now the Marvel villian in this movie.

Finally soaked the eschar or scab off my toe. It's a deep enough hole. Hopefully, the healing now will speed up.

The kid GOT A JOB. They hired her yesterday to work in the lab doing something with the equipment. Primarily I think is making sure used things like petri dishes go through a cleaning and sterilization process. Twenty hours a week

How about start the weekend early?

Congrats on the employed child.

Happy to call it, I'm not back till next Monday....

Pizza and beer after the movie tonight. Thanks for calling it.

Last edited:
Crazy busy week at work. Youngest DD has come down with a stomach bug. Currently sleeping it off. Hopefully it's one of those 24 hour bugs. Drinking on a Wednesday night like it's a Friday. Come on weekend.

What's in that? Sounds like a great idea to start having WDW drinks on the weekends.
Orange strawberry pineapple juice, cranberry juice, spiced rum, white rum. I added a splash of grenadine for sweetness and colour. Try this website for recipes.
http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/

Have you tried the Grand Marnier slush as well? That was pretty good...
Haven't tried it yet but heard it was good.

t its finest. :furious: They put my oldest in Intro to Greenhouse (not on list)
Hmm...that doesn't sound like a real course.

Congrats to her! Cleaning Petri dishes is still important and a great place to start. At least it's in her field.

Back from the Spiderman movie. It is really good. No spoilers, but i did find it was funny that Michael Keaton, the original DC Batman, is now the Marvel villian in this movie.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I really liked it. I thought that was a funny quirk with Keaton as well.

That means you're closer to a Disney trip where she pays! :thumbsup2
End the week early? You have my vote!

Morning boys from Lake Buena Vista. Last morning in daWorld. Flight of passage as a one off this morning, flight overnight tonight. Been an epic one. I now know what Donald Duck feels like, being stuck with a huge bill. Have a great Thursday chaps.

Children all signed up for school and fees paid. DW does all that since she knows I wold just throttle people with sarcasm and inundate them with questions about their stupid policies. So, she takes the check book on its annual journey outside the home. I have handled all the bills since we were married. I think I bounced a check one time when I first opened a bank account as a teen, and have never done so since. I don't even go to foreign ATMs because I don't want to pay fees.

So, here's my point. DW said that she doesn't understand how I do the check book, and that I "pay" bills too early. For example, our mortgage is due on the 13th, and I've already subtracted the payment amount from the balance. It's an online auto payment, but since I'm not going to be paid between now and the 15th, why would I need to wait? She says I should wait until after the payment is made. Anyone have any thoughts? I've been doing this system (minus auto pay) for close to 30 years. Not sure if my dad taught me or i just figured it out myself. Is there a better way?

Orange strawberry pineapple juice, cranberry juice, spiced rum, white rum. I added a splash of grenadine for sweetness and colour. Try this website for recipes.

Hope your dd recovers quickly. Being sick is no fun. And, yes, greenhouse is a real course, and it makes sense for this area since we have so many farmers. However, the students did their schedules last year with alternate subjects, that wasn't on the list, and we aren't farming much on my 1/5 acre plot. :lmao:

Drink menu sounds good. Problem is all those ingredients. I usually have beer in the fridge and bourbon in the cabinet. Every now and then, I'll get a gift bottle of whatever from someone, and I'll pick up some cabo wabo tequila or Captain Rum. When I bring some limes or lemons home, DW knows we are drinking tequila. :drinking1

Someone else is paying? I'm in. Will she pay for my trip? I'm ready to mooch. :lmao:

Morning boys from Lake Buena Vista. Last morning in daWorld. Flight of passage as a one off this morning, flight overnight tonight. Been an epic one. I now know what Donald Duck feels like, being stuck with a huge bill. Have a great Thursday chaps.

And that didn't count the DVC bill? Or maybe it did and that was one heck of a magic band limit. :lmao:

Have a safe trip home 007. Mi6 has missed you.

Last edited:
Have a safe flight home. Wish I could've made it down there to meet you.
If you did the DVC thing, congratulations on the future (not on the bill) and welcome home.
If you were there for three weeks, I can only imagine what the bill looks like and I don't want to imagine too long. :shudder: Edit: What, no shudder emoji? Okay :scared1:

Last edited:
Morning Guys.

Few minutes to check in, hope everyone is doing well.

The two teams I'm working with wrap up play today so I should have a couple of days to catch some other action before we send this group home on Saturday morning and get ready for the next group to arrive on Saturday night. We have some amazing coaches working with our basketball teams but I need to give a shout out to our men's group. They have lost 3 games by a total of 9 points and 4 of those points came from them putting guys on the foul line so they could get the ball back. Yesterday was heartbreaking, up 2 with less than 6 seconds to play the other team got the ball up the court and threw up a prayer that dropped for 3 at the buzzer. I hope the coaches can work their magic and get them up one more time.

Take care all.

So, here's my point. DW said that she doesn't understand how I do the check book, and that I "pay" bills too early. For example, our mortgage is due on the 13th, and I've already subtracted the payment amount from the balance. It's an online auto payment, but since I'm not going to be paid between now and the 15th, why would I need to wait? She says I should wait until after the payment is made. Anyone have any thoughts? I've been doing this system (minus auto pay) for close to 30 years. Not sure if my dad taught me or i just figured it out myself. Is there a better way?
Better way? Not from my point of view.
If cash is already spoken for, then it's already spent and should never be considered as part of the available balance. My experience has been that folks who keep their books that way are looking to rationalize extra spending.
You get stuff like:
"Would you look at that! We're x-dollars ahead right now, so we can afford this extra thing!"

That kind of thinking always causes problems.

Top O the Mornin Dads and a very happy Friday Eve! Looking forward to getting to the weekend and looks like I'm not alone. Gonna cook a spiral ham and grill some pineapple on the grill this weekend. Figured I'd try something new and hope mother nature cooperates - grilling in the rain is a pain.

Pizza and a movie is a good night for sure. We saw it at midnight on the cruise and enjoyed it as well - never thought of the Keaton irony, pretty funny.
Crazy busy week at work. Youngest DD has come down with a stomach bug. Currently sleeping it off. Hopefully it's one of those 24 hour bugs. Drinking on a Wednesday night like it's a Friday. Come on weekend.

Hear ya on the weekend thing and thanks for the recipes.
Safe travels and you might want to frame that resort bill to show the kids in the future - a bit of see what we did for you when you were young :rotfl:
Children all signed up for school and fees paid. DW does all that since she knows I wold just throttle people with sarcasm and inundate them with questions about their stupid policies. So, she takes the check book on its annual journey outside the home. I have handled all the bills since we were married. I think I bounced a check one time when I first opened a bank account as a teen, and have never done so since. I don't even go to foreign ATMs because I don't want to pay fees.

OK not to start anything with DW, but the one that pays the bills can do it however they want. It really doesn't make a difference how you do it as long as it all gets registered. I do the same as I pay online, set the actual date in the future tied to when bill is due but log the payment in the book on the day I process. Good Luck!

I like your way. It ensures that you're not spending money that should be earmarked for the bills. Gives you a good picture of what you actually have to work with for the month.

If cash is already spoken for, then it's already spent and should never be considered as part of the available balance. My experience has been that folks who keep their books that way are looking to rationalize extra spending.

What he said!

A couple of pics from this week...

Her research paper is a study of bacteria in sharks comparing healthy areas on the shark to damaged ones. Here she is taking a sample (the blue thing in her hand is used to get the sample).

The samples are then processed in the lab. The original sample is placed on a dish containing a medium that allows it to grow. Different bacteria start growing and samples of each are put into separate dishes. These 9 samples are all from one shark.

Congratulations. It's awesome that she's going to be paid to work in an area she loves so much

Have a good flight home.

I don't know that there is a better way to do it as it accurately represents your available cash, even though it sometimes underrepresents your actual cash in the account. I would question why she is concerned. Is it because the numbers on the check register and the atm receipt don't match up or some other reason? If the numbers not matching up is primarily the problem what would them matching do?

You get stuff like:
"Would you look at that! We're x-dollars ahead right now, so we can afford this extra thing!"

Agreed

Another hot one down here. Did some work work this morning and will be back outside when the sun is heading down the horizon. Got some clarification on the job. It is for specific equipment related to one project. She is also working with the Professor on the data collection and possible conclusions. She thinks it is interesting. The petri dishes etc. are plastic and from what I understand, they nuke the crap out of them and chuck them. That is handled by unpaid interns (like she was until yesterday).

Whoa. Better keep your head down.

No Problem. During the storm I was holding a 2 Iron in the air. Because?.....

Even god can't hit a 2 Iron.

I was defering to you to call it but the result was the same. Enjoy the weekend.

That sucks. Hope she is feeling better today.

That will be the day. She did say she was taking me out to dinner for my birthday in October.

Heck of a trip though. Happy to say, "Welcome home." Have a safe flight back.

So, here's my point. DW said that she doesn't understand how I do the check book, and that I "pay" bills too early.

Here is how I do it. I have two accounts, one is to pay monthly bills (all auto deduct) and extraordinary expenses, the second is for food, play, buying things etc. Each month I deposit enough to cover the bills and some extra. The rest goes into the other account. What is there can be spent and the only balance I need to keep track of.

We have some amazing coaches working with our basketball teams but I need to give a shout out to our men's group.

Watching your exploits and it looks like a busy but successful time. Good for the competitors and their teams.

Top O the Mornin Dads and a very happy Friday Eve! Looking forward to getting to the weekend and looks like I'm not alone. Gonna cook a spiral ham and grill some pineapple on the grill this weekend. Figured I'd try something new and hope mother nature cooperates - grilling in the rain is a pain.

Making pork chops and roasted vegetables tonight. You made me think I need to bring out the grill this weekend. BBQ chicken perhaps?

The two teams I'm working with wrap up play today so I should have a couple of days to catch some other action before we send this group home on Saturday morning and get ready for the next group to arrive on Saturday night. We have some amazing coaches working with our basketball teams but I need to give a shout out to our men's group. They have lost 3 games by a total of 9 points and 4 of those points came from them putting guys on the foul line so they could get the ball back. Yesterday was heartbreaking, up 2 with less than 6 seconds to play the other team got the ball up the court and threw up a prayer that dropped for 3 at the buzzer. I hope the coaches can work their magic and get them up one more time.

Saw those women's beach volley ball pictures on Facebook. Tough job you have there, buddy. :lmao:

You get stuff like:
"Would you look at that! We're x-dollars ahead right now, so we can afford this extra

:thumbsup2:

OK not to start anything with DW, but the one that pays the bills can do it however they want. It really doesn't make a difference how you do it as long as it all gets registered. I do the same as I pay online, set the actual date in the future tied to when bill is due but log the payment in the book on the day I process. Good Luck!

Not starting anything. I don't know the principles of accounting, but I wondered if i was missing something.

I like your way. It ensures that you're not spending money that should be earmarked for the bills. Gives you a good picture of what you actually have to work with for the month.

!

:thumbsup2:

I don't know that there is a better way to do it as it accurately represents your available cash, even though it sometimes underrepresents your actual cash in the account. I would question why she is concerned. Is it because the numbers on the check register and the atm receipt don't match up or some other reason? If the numbers not matching up is primarily the problem what would them matching do?

Her answer was because she didn't do it that way. We've not really had any money issues. She spends more than i would, but we compromise on our budget.

Here is how I do it. I have two accounts, one is to pay monthly bills (all auto deduct) and extraordinary expenses, the second is for food, play, buying things etc. Each month I deposit enough to cover the bills and some extra. The rest goes into the other account. What is there can be spent and the only balance
?

We have the 2nd account as our savings fund. I'll move money from it into checking to cover the rare high expense like property taxes or homeowner's insurance once a year.

Last edited:
Have a safe trip home. Sounds like you had a good trip over all even with hit to the accounts

You get stuff like:

Wish I could make the DW understand that. LOL

Well boys Im calling it a week for myself. One shift tonight officiating volleyball then I am off from all 3 jobs for a full week. :dance3::cool1::drinking1:woohoo:party::Pinkbounc:jumping3:

Any dads have advice on teaching their kids how to drive.
In particular I'm struggling with helping Noah understand that the break doesn't exist in 2 positions (on/off) and getting him to apply and release it more gradually. I think he "knows" how it should be done but when we he starts driving he doesn't seem to be able to get his body to execute what he knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter