DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Howdy Gentlemen, Dads, and Norm;
Been gone so long I don't remember where I left off so I am just going to pretend I am caught up on everything.

Hope everyone pulled thru those storm safely.

Gawrsh! Seems like forever since I've been over here. Life just crazy sometimes and haven't been on the boards that much. Tried to read-through everything I've missed. Hope everyone is well.

Sounds like we need to have an intervention with those ladies of yours! Not wanting to go back to Disney....now that's just crazy talk! But whine away my friend. I know we keep saying it, but we really need to catch up for lunch sometime soon.
Life? crazy? Yep... you got it! Welcome back for a visit! I'm in the same boat here. lol.

We to need to set something up! Might be easier to do on the FB side.

Been gone so long I don't remember where I left off so I am just going to pretend I am caught up on everything.

:rotfl2: Poor Norm.. lol

Welcome back! And I just heard about those storms... that's crazy! So sad for the loss of life...prayers for those affected there.

Morning Gents!

Monday in the office and I'm suppose to be heading out in the morning for a conference until Thursday. Weather forecast is a little iffy so I'm hoping the flights will be OK.

I can't believe it's been over 3 years since our last visit to the World for our family. I've tried talking my two women into another trip back, but they say they don't want anything more to do with Disney. Me... I'm ready to go back, but couldn't imagine going there without them. Been a mental struggle for me over the past few years... and partial reason why I don't get on the boards or the FB group much. Thanks for letting me whine a little here.

Now I need some input from my men here. The family vacation request for this year has me doing a lot of research and now I'm looking for advice/input from people I trust and have experience in this area. If you could provide any personal experience here I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are the demands in order of importance:
- Clearest, blue-est water we've ever seen and on the beach
- Caribbean. No Mexico. Preferably Puerto Rico / Virgin Islands due to passport reasons
- Prefer a resort... all inclusive if possible, but not necessary
- Golf within 20 minutes

So basically if you've had any experience in the Caribbean on the beach I'd like to hear what you have to say. Our family has not traveled together outside the USA so this is our first adventure off the range so-to-speak. I've also tried to see if a cruise would be of interest, but that has fallen flat, too. So much for adventure! lol. Thanks ahead of time!

I went down that road a bit with DW and DS. We haven't been to WDW for an extended stay, as a family, since 2011. DW and DS did get a few days there in 2015. Since 2011 we have been on a cruising kick. On our last cruise we started talking about some vacation ideas. Cruises came up again, two other families wanted us to go to Grand Cayman but I said I really want to go back to WDW. Seems to have worked as we are headed back in a little over a month.

We have visited numerous places in the Caribbean but they have all been part of cruises, with the exception of a trip to Cuba about 20 years ago. The best beaches in the Caribbean was hands down in Grand Cayman, 7 mile beach was amazing. Also up that would be Horseshoe Bay Beach in Bermuda but that's not the Caribbean.

Morning Gents!

Monday in the office and I'm suppose to be heading out in the morning for a conference until Thursday. Weather forecast is a little iffy so I'm hoping the flights will be OK.

I went down that road a bit with DW and DS. We haven't been to WDW for an extended stay, as a family, since 2011. DW and DS did get a few days there in 2015. Since 2011 we have been on a cruising kick. On our last cruise we started talking about some vacation ideas. Cruises came up again, two other families wanted us to go to Grand Cayman but I said I really want to go back to WDW. Seems to have worked as we are headed back in a little over a month.

We have visited numerous places in the Caribbean but they have all been part of cruises, with the exception of a trip to Cuba about 20 years ago. The best beaches in the Caribbean was hands down in Grand Cayman, 7 mile beach was amazing. Also up that would be Horseshoe Bay Beach in Bermuda but that's not the Caribbean.

Definitely hope the flights are good-to-go for you!

Thanks for sharing that with me. DW and I have done ONE cruise together before DD came along. It was on Disney's Big Red Boat back in the 90's before Disney Cruise Line was formed. DW did NOT have a good experience on that cruise... we were just above the engines in an interior room, basically the cheapest cabin they had. And did not enjoy the visit to the Bahamas. I think that left a sour taste in her mouth. I keep reminding her the cruising industry has changed somewhat since then, but still hesitant.

I hadn't even thought about checking into Bermuda. We don't have passports, but we do have passport cards. I'll need to look into that. And Grand Cayman will be on my watch list now, too. Much appreciated!

Evening boys, from a sunny but cold London. After a ton of faffing about, finally booked a trip to the World. Well the hotel and the tickets anyway. The DW has finally agreed to 2 weeks in Disney! I argued that sucker through better than Johnny Cochrane. There were mind games. There was using all my weapons (mainly the 3 year old). She agreed ON the proviso we have a few day trips. How long is that swim from here, cause I think I'm gonna need all the dough I can save. Looking forward to the games tomorrow. West Ham won 3-1 away, so all is tickety boo (that's a real one) in the London branch of Disdaddery.
Congratulations!

DW: Going to be fun to shovel this!
Me: Those are some wicked peaks. I had a rough day too. A palm frond fell on the car and I had to take it off.
DW: I guess you haven't been told where to go today
1f621.png

Yeah, I think I may be sleeping on the couch for a night or two once I get home. Oh well, sometimes it's worth it for a good laugh.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I think you may be shoveling all your stuff off the driveway when you get back home.

Thats nice to hear Darcy, cheers. We are there 14 nights. We kept messing around with a split stay around a beach house. We were going to do Yacht Club for 4 to hit Epcot and the studios, 6 Nights at a rented beach house, and then 4 nights at the Poly for MK. It was getting way to complicated, so with the offer we have basically saved about 2.5k on the hotel, we don't need as big a car as we only need a little shuttle about, so all in all probably looking at a 3k saving. It will let us do all the parks at a pretty leisurely pace, as well as hitting the beach a couple of times, and maybe even a visit to the dark side. We tend to visit resorts before we stay, we walked over from the GF when we stayed there last year, and thought it looked pretty cool.
Awesome! Looks like it was a good deal and that should work great for you. It's nice to be able to try a few different places, but always nice when you can just move into the room for a couple of weeks and not have to re pack once or twice.
Saw this on FB. :lmao:

fb_20170122_20_07_43_saved_picture-jpg.216656
:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

I can't believe it's been over 3 years since our last visit to the World for our family. I've tried talking my two women into another trip back, but they say they don't want anything more to do with Disney. Me... I'm ready to go back, but couldn't imagine going there without them. Been a mental struggle for me over the past few years... and partial reason why I don't get on the boards or the FB group much. Thanks for letting me whine a little here.
Makes sense. I kind of wondered why you haven't been around much until just recently. Hopefully they'll change their mind soon. Either that or they'll send you down to DDCC sometime just so you'll drop it and leave them alone. And I'm sorry I can't help with your question... I've got no experience to draw from.

Definitely hope the flights are good-to-go for you!

Thanks for sharing that with me. DW and I have done ONE cruise together before DD came along. It was on Disney's Big Red Boat back in the 90's before Disney Cruise Line was formed. DW did NOT have a good experience on that cruise... we were just above the engines in an interior room, basically the cheapest cabin they had. And did not enjoy the visit to the Bahamas. I think that left a sour taste in her mouth. I keep reminding her the cruising industry has changed somewhat since then, but still hesitant.

I hadn't even thought about checking into Bermuda. We don't have passports, but we do have passport cards. I'll need to look into that. And Grand Cayman will be on my watch list now, too. Much appreciated!

Can't say I disagree with her on the Bahamas. We went there on our Disney cruise and we don't feel the need to go back. We did spend a day in Old San Juan and really liked it, we weren't at a beach though. We went to Magen's Bay in St Thomas, water was nice and clear but the beach itself was a pretty as some of the others.

Bad storms last night, we were under a tornado watch until about an hour ago. We made it through fine but just a few miles north, got hit. Speculation is a couple of tornados touched down. Trees uprooted, sheds moved a couple of homes over and some roof damage in Hialeah and Miami Springs. Thankfully no injuries. Still pretty windy but it looks like the worst is over.

We ended up in the Poly Club Level, they were offering 4 nights for free.

That is a deal. If you haven't stayed there, you are going to love the Poly

We were on the 3rd floor overlooking the lagoon and could see everything. Even recorded the Pirates and Princesses Fireworks Show from the balcony.

Did the club level once and had a similar view. Loved it.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Thanks for the support on the wedding stress. DD is home for a couple of days here and we had a good long talk last night to try and lower the stress levels and get on the same page on some things. Went well and hopefully we can enjoy the stretch run of planning this thing.

Seems like things are looking up. Let us know if some of her "Uncles" need to have a chat with her.

She really sounds like she's enjoying what she is doing. What a beautiful thing it is to have your kid grown up and do something they really enjoy doing! You've supported her well over the years for sure. Good job!

Yes, she is. Saturday was boating instruction (not sure but the class may lead to a Captain's license), today a scientific diving class. Now if she can find a job that will pay her something after she is done with all of this.

Now I need some input from my men here. The family vacation request for this year has me doing a lot of research and now I'm looking for advice/input from people I trust and have experience in this area. If you could provide any personal experience here I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are the demands in order of importance:
- Clearest, blue-est water we've ever seen and on the beach
- Caribbean. No Mexico. Preferably Puerto Rico / Virgin Islands due to passport reasons
- Prefer a resort... all inclusive if possible, but not necessary
- Golf within 20 minutes

Best beaches in the US in my opinion is the Redneck Riviera along Florida's Panhandle. In the Caribbean places I visited: Roatan-No. Had a bad experience with a resort there, beach was bad but the diving was fair. Virgin Islands-OK. Like Darcy visited there on a cruise ship and we went on a snorkeling trip. Belize we stayed at a great resort. All inclusive except booze, food was tasty, staff great. More of a dive/eco-adventure place. In addition to diving, there were kayaking, zip lines, hiking... Not sure about golfing. Agree with Darcy, Grand Cayman has a beautiful beach. Haven't been to Bermuda or Puerto Rico but would like to some time. Bonaire is also on my list. Doubt this helps but that's what I got.

Gawrsh! Seems like forever since I've been over here. Life just crazy sometimes and haven't been on the boards that much. Tried to read-through everything I've missed. Hope everyone is well.

Hey guys, good to hear from you. Other than busy, how's life?

Bad storms last night, we were under a tornado watch until about an hour ago. We made it through fine but just a few miles north, got hit. Speculation is a couple of tornados touched down. Trees uprooted, sheds moved a couple of homes over and some roof damage in Hialeah and Miami Springs. Thankfully no injuries. Still pretty windy but it looks like the worst is over.
And I thought you only had to worry about hurricanes.

Glad you're ok!

Best beaches in the US in my opinion is the Redneck Riviera along Florida's Panhandle. In the Caribbean places I visited: Roatan-No. Had a bad experience with a resort there, beach was bad but the diving was fair. Virgin Islands-OK. Like Darcy visited there on a cruise ship and we went on a snorkeling trip. Belize we stayed at a great resort. All inclusive except booze, food was tasty, staff great. More of a dive/eco-adventure place. In addition to diving, there were kayaking, zip lines, hiking... Not sure about golfing. Agree with Darcy, Grand Cayman has a beautiful beach. Haven't been to Bermuda or Puerto Rico but would like to some time. Bonaire is also on my list. Doubt this helps but that's what I got.

We stayed at a great resort with a beautiful beach in Guardalavaca but I'm not sure if your openness with Cuba will remain. ;)

Hey guys, good to hear from you. Other than busy, how's life?

Glad you made it thru.

Been about par for the course. Just glad that 2016 is over. This year has to be better.....

DW: Going to be fun to shovel this!
Me: Those are some wicked peaks. I had a rough day too. A palm frond fell on the car and I had to take it off.
DW: I guess you haven't been told where to go today
1f621.png

Yeah, I think I may be sleeping on the couch for a night or two once I get home. Oh well, sometimes it's worth it for a good laugh.

Totally worth it! Of course, I'm not the one on the couch.

I have to hand it to DW, she did a pretty good job with it. She knows how to handle a snowblower (yes, you may insert snowblower jokes here, although we may have exhausted those already!). After pics:

I don't think we can make snow blower jokes about your wife. There's some type of guy code or Disdad code.

Yeah...I think I'm not gonna touch that one. She, uh...she did good work there.

It was at this point they explained that we had been upgraded to Club level. It was amazing and I think we had one of the best views in the World.

Looks amazing!:thumbsup2

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Hi Don!

That's a bummer. I can totally understand the melancholy there. I guess the only solution is to travel alone!

Why am I still watching this?
I was thinking the same at 1130 last night watching the packers getting their heiny handed to them.
Went well and hopefully we can enjoy the stretch run of planning this thing
Let's hope so mate. Maybe it needed that realignment of expectation.
We are staying there DVC villas during upcoming March visit
Any tips will be gratefully received.
but they say they don't want anything more to do with Disney
What happened there?
So basically if you've had any experience in the Caribbean on the beach I'd like to hear what you have to say
We've done a couple, Antigua and Barbados. Antigua has beautiful beaches but many salesmen as all the beaches are public, which is kind of cool as it breaks the day up a bit, because on both islands theres not a ton to see. Barbados is a bit more exclusive, but most of the hotel staff are a bit offish. It's nothing like Disney resorts. I would agree with CJ, except my florida beach would be Anna Maria Island.
Awesome! Looks like it was a good deal and that should work great for you. It's nice to be able to try a few different places, but always nice when you can just move into the room for a couple of weeks and not have to re pack once or twice.
Definitely, especially on 2 weeks from the UK. Thats a lot of gear to schlep around.
Thankfully no injuries. Still pretty windy but it looks like the worst is over.
All the best mate, thanks for the good vibes on the Poly.
Let us know if some of her "Uncles" need to have a chat with her.
I'm pretty sure there are some intimidating accents on here. I sound like Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels in real life. DW says I put my posh voice on for the podcasts.

Have a great evening chaps.

Well, I tell my girls to clean their rooms and not be pigs. Sometimes, that message is lost. So, I took them to my predecessor's office and filled up 3 giant leaf bags of trash. I even packed him a box and included his tax forms, notes, trash, and moldy fig newtons. :furious:

Packers and Steelers. That is all.

Nope. Nope. Hope you didn't bet anything. :lmao:

:thanks: Good to see you, Norm!

I missed the previous posts, too... congrats on the new job! Hope it works out well for you and the family. No more long commutes?

No, still have the commute. I picked up a 2nd job. I'm going to retire in another 5-6 years, and this was a great opportunity I couldn't skip.

!

Sorry to hear about the lack of Disney. I can't give you any recommendations on your request. Any chance you could get a week at Disney followed by a week in US at resort with that stuff?

And, car isn't fixed. Body shop said they haven't heard from insurance. Insurance claims other driver accepted 100% liability and sent info to body shop to send estimate. :furious:

Hey Cliff. Long time no hear.

:rotfl2: Poor Norm.. lol

Welcome back! And I just heard about those storms... that's crazy! So sad for the loss of life...prayers for those affected there.

No worries for me. It's all good here.

And I thought you only had to worry about hurricanes.

Glad you're ok!

Thanks. Confirmed an EF1 touched down about 8 miles from here. Only landed for a couple of minutes but did a fair amount of damage. Occasionally we have tornado warnings and every few years one will land. Lots of water spouts out in the Atlantic and cool to see when you are on a boat in the water.

We stayed at a great resort with a beautiful beach in Guardalavaca but I'm not sure if your openness with Cuba will remain. ;)

We are toying with a dive trip in Cuba over the summer but I guess things are in limbo now.

Glad you made it thru.

Been about par for the course. Just glad that 2016 is over. This year has to be better.....

Thanks. Same here Cliff, glad 2016 is over.

All the best mate, thanks for the good vibes on the Poly.

You have to do an adult stop at Trader Sams and the Tambu Lounge next to Ohana's. Pool is pretty cool (I liked the old one more) and a Dole Whip stand is right by there. No Citrus Swirls though.

Nope. Nope. Hope you didn't bet anything. :lmao:

Nope.

And, car isn't fixed. Body shop said they haven't heard from insurance. Insurance claims other driver accepted 100% liability and sent info to body shop to send estimate. :furious:

That sucks. Is the insurance paying for a rental?

DD is home for a couple of days here and we had a good long talk last night to try and lower the stress levels and get on the same page on some things. Went well and hopefully we can enjoy the stretch run of planning this thing.
Glad to hear that things are a little smoother. A good talk does wonders sometimes. Good luck with the planning.

Nice to see you here Don. That's a long stretch with no visit. I'm two years and a few months myself. My family still want to go, but I've had other concerns that have kept me away from any trips. DW and DD are actually going back to WDW in July for a dance school trip but I can't go due to work commitments. It's going to be hard having them there without me, but I know they will enjoy it.

So basically if you've had any experience in the Caribbean on the beach I'd like to hear what you have to say.
My only experience is my honeymoon. Went to St. Lucia and stayed at Sandals Grande resort, all inclusive. The resort itself was great, excellent food. The only downside was that it was in a bay that was clustered with other resorts, so the water was always full of boats, sailboats, any kind of watercraft, so not really all that peaceful. There was nothing spectacular about the beach, it was fine, but nothing like the white sand and blue water you see in the magazine pictures - I'm not sure that actually exists. I probably wouldn't do an all inclusive again. It was a nice vacation, but I found myself indulging to excess with food. It was fun, but I don't really need to do that again.

Hello Mal, it's nice to hear from you again.

Well, I don't know if I'm in the gentlemen or dads category, but at least I'm not in the Norm category :rotfl:

Good to hear that you weren't affected. I wasn't aware tornadoes were a risk in Florida.

Well, I tell my girls to clean their rooms and not be pigs. Sometimes, that message is lost. So, I took them to my predecessor's office and filled up 3 giant leaf bags of trash. I even packed him a box and included his tax forms, notes, trash, and moldy fig newtons. :furious:
Getting them to clean their rooms is a constant battle. Good that you were able to teach a life lesson, but not fun going through it.

That sucks. Is the insurance paying for a rental?

Yes, a Nissan Sentra. I still have the Tumbler as well, going strong at 176,000 miles. I never thought a Pontiac would last that long.

Well, I don't know if I'm in the gentlemen or dads category, but at least I'm not in the Norm category :rotfl:

You can only hope to ever reach the Norm category. ::yes::

You can only hope to ever reach the Norm category. ::yes::
We all have aspirations of Normness.
You have to do an adult stop at Trader Sams and the Tambu Lounge next to Ohana's.
We are talking about doing an adults evening. Definitely on Trader Sams, we are thinking Narcoosees to follow up or maybe going the whole hog and hitting V&A.

so I am just going to pretend I am caught up on everything.

I'm going to adopt this policy on my work email.

Have a great day chaps from London.

Last edited:
We are talking about doing an adults evening. Definitely on Trader Sams, we are thinking Narcoosees to follow up or maybe going the whole hog and hitting V&A.

Can't beat either. V&A is more than a meal, it is an event. Been a few times but haven't gone since they took it off the Tables in Wonderland card. Expensive? Yes, but worth trying at least once if you are a foodie. When the kid was a kid, we dropped her off at the Neverland Club (now re-themed) and then hoofed it over to see Vickie and Al. All three of us had a great time.

Have the same great day mate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter