Dating Red Flags?

It would be at least a yellow flag for me. I always went out on dates expecting to pay my share. But if he asks to go to dinner he should pay. If you are meeting (for the first time) for drinks or coffee then paying for your own makes more sense.

One time I had plans to meet a guy for drinks and he turned it into a lunch date. Then when the bill came asked to split. That was game over on a mediocre date.
CW4D's inconsistent rule of dating #142. If a man asks to split the check in a first date, it's a red flag. If a woman volunteers to split the check on the first date, that's a green flag for her being a keeper!!!

For most people, I'd pay even if the date went badly. However, if someone flamed away on a date about how those that disagree with her have an agenda or are rigid or have lost the art of debate and then had the audacity to claim she was middle of the road, and that others lacked critical thinking skills, I'd certainly consider sneaking out the back and stiffing her the entire check.

I'm seeing that both amongst my students and interestingly, on Tiktok, as there is a large number of Gen Z (usually) girls giving tarot readings on live. Wired even did a story on it:
https://wired.me/culture/understanding-the-gen-z-obsession-with-astrology/

But I'm curious, as you are on these apps, what is a "situationship?" Is that like what I called "friends with benefits?" or what the kids called "Netflix and chill?"
I've even seen it where someone won't date someone based off of their zodiac sign lol I dated someone who was into astrology but it wasn't her entire personality like it is for a lot of people I'm seeing on dating apps.

No idea what a situationship is. I'm an elder Gen Z, have no clue what the kids are up to.

Here's one that is maybe Gen Z specific. On dating apps I've noticed a decent amount of people put in their bios that they're looking for people who are into astrology and won't date people that dismiss it. That's not my thing personally but found it interesting that A LOT of people had that in their profile.
I can see people being "into it" but to make it a deal breaker seems odd.

Oh you've got to be kidding me, people do this?
Merica.

I've seen something new today! I can't believe in my rural area that I have never seen this...lol.
Oh they have them where you are, you just never noticed, but now you will. ;)

I'm surprised some of you haven't seen...those things. They are reasonably common-ish around here. And yeah, it does say something about the person who has them on their vehicles - I'll leave it up to the individual to determine what that is. 🤣

I'm surprised some of you haven't seen...those things. They are reasonably common-ish around here. And yeah, it does say something about the person who has them on their vehicles - I'll leave it up to the individual to determine what that is. 🤣
Probably the same thing as the obnoxious "F (insert political leader name here)" signs and stickers I see prominently displayed on windows and bumpers of trucks parked in school lots, family neighborhoods and other areas where many little ones routinely pass by.

Ooh baby...what a "catch" that guy must be. And yes - 99.9% of the time, it's a guy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh you've got to be kidding me, people do this?
Oh, yeah.

(They also come in lots of different colors, meaning that they can look even *worse* than that example. Most of the ones I've seen around here are chrome-plated, which I guess is *supposed* to tell me something about the owner's masculinity. It tells me something, all right, but I'm pretty sure not what's intended.)

I think it comes down to some of us not thinking every red flag is a deal breaker. I wasn't looking for someone who was just like me. I was looking for someone I loved enough and who loved me enough to deal with our differences. It's a very romantic notion that people find a mate they are totally in sync with, but I don't really know any couples like that if we've talked honestly with each other.
My husband and I are pretty in sync and very rarely disagree. Been together for 33 years.

And I am saying that some of these viewpoints seem ridiculously rigid. Is there no critical thinking anymore?

The day that I no longer want to listen and learn is the day I’ll throw in the towel. YMMV.
There is nothing anyone could say that would make me think “hmm, maybe homosexuality is a sin,” or “hmm, women should be prevented from getting abortions.” Someone who finds joy in torturing animals would also not be a good partner for me.

Okay, I had to google. According to urban dictionary they're both a sign of masculinity used to attract women and a signal of looking for a homosexual relationship. I'm guessing these could lead to a lot of pretty hilarious misunderstandings due to the diversity of meaning. I'm giggling over here!

Okay, I had to google. According to urban dictionary they're both a sign of masculinity used to attract women and a signal of looking for a homosexual relationship. I'm guessing these could lead to a lot of pretty hilarious misunderstandings due to the diversity of meaning. I'm giggling over here!
So they're bi?

ETA: If I offend someone, I apologize. I was trying for a joke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter