• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s face the real facts. WDW is a global destination. People from all over the world have been bringing with them to WDW illnesses for decades. Almost every trip, someone in my party gets some kind of illness from there. COVID 19 is very easily transferred and people have different severity of symptoms when infected. Should they shut down, I personally don’t think they should. Business for them will slow down. Everything in life is deadly. Driving in a car is deadly, walking down a road is deadly with impaired and distracted drivers. Should you stop getting the mail out of the mailbox because someone gets hit and killed by a distracted driver? It happens more than you think.
What a stupid, dangerous argument. It's careless people like you that will willingly spread this disease and get people killed.

My trip was planned for March 23rd, but I had already decided not to attend. I know it sucks for everyone, but I think closing is the right thing to do. So many people were determined to still go to Disney no matter what, and I understand why, but that can’t happen right now. We’ll just have to be disappointed and start dreaming about an AMAZING trip in the future!

It is not unconstitutional!

"Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

"The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."
The Public Health Service Act does not trump the constitution. The Supreme Court has held that there is a constitutional right to travel between states. Saenz v. Roe 526 U.S. 489 (1999). The point is arguable I guess though.

First, regarding the WDW closing, let me say that I feel so very sorry for the Disney employees and those in the tourist support industries of Orlando. I hope they can all get through this with a minimum of personal hardship.

Now, selfishly, I am wondering how certain tickets will be handled. My son and his girlfriend have 4-day passes that go through the end of June. Does anyone know if that period would be extended the duration of the closing, or is this essentially a force majeure with no obligation to remedy?

First, regarding the WDW closing, let me say that I feel so very sorry for the Disney employees and those in the tourist support industries of Orlando. I hope they can all get through this with a minimum of personal hardship.

Now, selfishly, I am wondering how certain tickets will be handled. My son and his girlfriend have 4-day passes that go through the end of June. Does anyone know if that period would be extended the duration of the closing, or is this essentially a force majeure with no obligation to remedy?

If you scroll up there is a screen shot of Disney's policy on this

The real reason NCAA, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Disney, Universal etc NEED to close is because people aren't smart enough to practice social distancing on their own accord. While I think some of this is an overreaction if we lived in a world where people didn't need others to make decisions for them, I also understand that if the park was open or large gatherings allowed, people of all ages and health statuses would keep attending events.

I wonder if a thread title is appropriate indicating that Disney Parks worldwide are now closed? You have to scroll halfway through this thread to find that information.

Edit: Oh I see the first post was updated. Thanks!

The real reason NCAA, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Disney, Universal etc NEED to close is because people aren't smart enough to practice social distancing on their own accord. While I think some of this is an overreaction if we lived in a world where people didn't need others to make decisions for them, I also understand that if the park was open or large gatherings allowed, people of all ages and health statuses would keep attending events.

You CAN'T practice social distancing at these places. The seats are inches apart. You can't have lines with hundreds or thousands of people, with everyone spaced 6' apart. Hence why they need to be closed. 🤦 Along with the whole spreading of the germs.

The other reason is that this is not about the virus anymore but the "perception" of how you are handling the virus. Disney pretty much was forced to close by simply public perception and public pressure. A lot of events are being cancelled because they don't want to be THAT one that doesn't do look like they are doing something. Basically we are shutting down our economy and country for 2-3 weeks. I fully expect most public schools in most states to be close by the end of the day .. this is quickly becoming a downward spiral.

I just find our (the world's) response to this just odd and concerning. The economic destruction will vastly destroy more lives than the virus itself kills. I don't remember the world coming to a standstill for a month or two for H1N1.

Anyone hear about any wiggle room with the policy on tickets being refundable? We don’t have plans to return by 12/15/2020 and honestly don’t know when we will be back. I can’t be out of almost $800 for tickets that I don’t see using in the foreseeable future. Seems unfair to just hold that balance indefinitely.

Anyone hear about any wiggle room with the policy on tickets being refundable? We don’t have plans to return by 12/15/2020 and honestly don’t know when we will be back. I can’t be out of almost $800 for tickets that I don’t see using in the foreseeable future. Seems unfair to just hold that balance indefinitely.

Under normal circumstances I would say I think Disney might work with you. In this situation, I don't think they will. They stand to lose too much money. But, really all you can do is call and ask.

My kids’ district sent out an email around 7pm closing schools for the next two weeks. Many other districts are doing the same. DH will work from home and the boys can largely look after themselves. I don’t know what we will do if daycare closes because DH needs to WORK from home; he doesn’t have time to entertain a four-year-old.

The economic impact is going to be brutal. DH and I were discussing it, and while we are going to feel the reverberations, we won’t be the first to take a direct hit. Tonight DH’s comment was, “what about all those kids who counted on school for breakfast and lunch?” I can only imagine the panic of lower income parents with no job flexibility who now have to find childcare and more food money on less than a day’s notice.
Our district is making meals that families can pick up

I’d call. Maybe wait a few days, but call. They’ve been known to make occasional exceptions in extreme circumstances.

I’d call. Maybe wait a few days, but call. They’ve been known to make occasional exceptions in extreme circumstances.
What case could they make for not refunding people for date based park passes? My park hopper pass is specifically for a date range that occurs during the closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter