Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hope is these cancellations CALM us from this hysteria, make us "feel" safer and then help us get back to our normal lives at the end of March. (Because let's face it -- these cancellations aren't going to STOP the spread, just slow it .. people are still meeting in small groups at churches, schools, homes, restaurants).

But the ripple effect on jobs and businesses from just these 2-3 weeks will be devastating for a long, long time.

Yes this!

These measures aren't to stop the spread of the virus. That's going to happen no matter what. This is to try and flatten out the curve and spread out the time period over which people will be overwhelming the hospitals.
I understand and even wrote that. And I said it is the right thing to do right now until we know more and can devise a better plan. As you said, even with a flatter curve, people will still be contracting the virus. My point was that hysteria will continue until we are more educated in what a flatter curve means to every day life. And with the hysteria/social media pressure, things will remain closed. Right now, every time someone hears about a new case anywhere in the country, their heart skips a beat. If there is one in their state, they start to freak and if there is one in the same town or county...it is panic, That can't be the case long term or we will be dealing with bigger problems in this county. Will the hospitals be overwhelmed due to the virus or fall apart under a collapsing economy. At some point, we are gonna have to pick our poison.

Once again let’s stick to operational concerns of the theme parks. This is not a discussion avenue for the ins and outs of the virus or governmental aspects.

Hmm I wonder how this will effect Swan and Dolphin even though they arent owned by Disney they do have that special relationship with them way more then the other "partner hotels" I mean they even advertise as "Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin" I wonder how they will handle the pressure to be more willing to move reservations and such

You think theme parks won’t open until there is a vaccine over a year away?

Lol and I thought I was pessimistic thinking we were not going to be back at normal again until summer! A whole year, yikes!!!

Based on the China's Coronvirus cases slowing down, it gives me some hope that it's possible the parks could open again in the summer this year.

Based on the China's Coronvirus cases slowing down, it gives me some hope that it's possible the parks could open again in the summer this year.
They will open 4/1 - This was just a "see we are doing something" and pressure from everyone to show something. As soon as hysteria dies down and the cases curve flattens one degree all will be open.

They will open 4/1 - This was just a "see we are doing something" and pressure from everyone to show something. As soon as hysteria dies down and the cases curve flattens one degree all will be open.

I Ihear a lot of people say this but if these closings accross the world are overreaction and just hyteria why are the scientists and world health organizations out there saying that?

First, regarding the WDW closing, let me say that I feel so very sorry for the Disney employees and those in the tourist support industries of Orlando. I hope they can all get through this with a minimum of personal hardship.

Now, selfishly, I am wondering how certain tickets will be handled. My son and his girlfriend have 4-day passes that go through the end of June. Does anyone know if that period would be extended the duration of the closing, or is this essentially a force majeure with no obligation to remedy?
From what I understand, any tickets with a start date any time during the closure dates will automatically become an anytime ticket through the end of the year.

They will try to open 4/1, but there is no guarantee. I know they want to, as that will be the busiest month for them until October probably.

I Ihear a lot of people say this but if these closings accross the world are overreaction and just hyteria why are the scientists and world health organizations out there saying that?

I don't necessarily think he was saying it's an overreaction. It's just these actions of closing everything won't make this problem go away. It will hopefully slow it and everything will reopen as this virus basically just becomes a common thing that we have to look out for and then eventually get our yearly vaccines for.

This isn’t some unfounded hysteria. Italy is the real world example of what can happen if you don’t take drastic action before it is too late.

While I agree with safety measures taken, we have to stop using Italy as a measuring stick. It is not, nor has it ever been a first world country. It’s far behind the times in terms of technology and medicine.

South Korea is a better juxtaposition.

Last edited:
I did not say closings were an overreaction. I said I believe that them closing was due to pressure. It will calm people down and say "see Disney is doing something too". There was so much talk, even on these boards about them not doing anything that there was no way they could save face.

My hope is these cancellations CALM us from this hysteria, make us "feel" safer and then help us get back to our normal lives at the end of March. (Because let's face it -- these cancellations aren't going to STOP the spread, just slow it .. people are still meeting in small groups at churches, schools, homes, restaurants).

But the ripple effect on jobs and businesses from just these 2-3 weeks will be devastating for a long, long time.
All of the closures and cancellations are making me much more unsettled than I was only a few days ago.

I wouldn't be too sure. Asia parks are still closed. As cases continue to rise, government mandates will become stricter. It will eventually no longer be Disney's choice.

From what I understand, any tickets with a start date any time during the closure dates will automatically become an anytime ticket through the end of the year.

Fingers crossed they make that change in the system soon. My tickets still show up as "Valid: Sat, Mar 21, 2020 – Thu, Apr 2, 2020" and our fastpass day for the rescheduled trip is coming up on Tuesday.

All my existing fastpasses are still there, too, and it's bumming me out. I can't bring myself to cancel them even though I know I can't use them. Canceling MFSR, FOP, MMRR, and Slinky just seems so wrong.

I disagree. Anyone thinking this will all be over in 2-3 weeks is shortsighted and kidding themselves. The whole cycle can take months. UK head of med is saying they wont even peak until June on cases and the peak period is 4 weeks. US med experts are saying we will peak in 4-6 weeks, most likely the latter, and the peak lasts 3-4 weeks. This isnt going to be a short term thing as some hope it will be. I think the parks do open again but likely not until sometime in May. The restrictions and numbers of cases will multiply exponentially over the next 6 weeks and only get worse. They arent going to reopen when things are actually worse than they are now. And this is going to have a devestating effect on people, jobs, families, peoples savings, homes, etc. This is one of those triggers that will set off an instant recession as the economy tries to rebound after the peaks pass.

Fingers crossed they make that change in the system soon. My tickets still show up as "Valid: Sat, Mar 21, 2020 – Thu, Apr 2, 2020" and our fastpass day for the rescheduled trip is coming up on Tuesday.

All my existing fastpasses are still there, too, and it's bumming me out. I can't bring myself to cancel them even though I know I can't use them. Canceling MFSR, FOP, MMRR, and Slinky just seems so wrong.
I'm sure IT is slammed right now, trying to make changes on the back end in order for CS to make changes on the front end. Hopefully, they'll get to it soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter