Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

Nope. Hawaii law requires you to pay Transient Accomodations Tax on points stays.

Separately, I always recommend that people pay for valet parking even if they're staying on points. That self-parking lot at Aulani is depressing.
Its like $20, Just parking will cost you $40.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy, just saying those who did have not been unhappy.

Untitled.png

Ok, then you can't ignore the opportunity cost of the money you sank into buying DVC vs investing it wisely. How about that?

The point is, it is disingenuous to claim that you are only paying $125/night for your Aulani villa.
When did I claim anything about cost? I think you have me confused with another poster.

i was just pointing out that the initial DVC purchase is not necessarily a sunk cost.

We were there (Aulani) three years ago and were happy that we had reserved a rental car. We toured the island one day, enjoyed the high end Aulani restaurant once for lunch, tried to walk around the area a bit (meh). We were not thrilled with the beach or pool areas. The beach: chairs arranged in long rows so we felt like we were in a theater or stadium - hated it, no privacy, cramped, noisy. The pool areas also felt crowded and then there was the lack of chairs… We weren’t sad to leave.

I think "overrated" is a highly relative term. To me "overrated" means someone's experience did not rise to the general level of they have heard from others. I think for something to be overrated means that there must be generally high opinion of it to begin with, which makes sense for a Disney resort.

I'll use myself as an example. I first went to Aulani in summer of 2014. My daughter was 1. I may have taken her to DL for one day prior to the trip but we hadn't quite caught that bug yet at the time (that came later and hit me hard). I had never been to WDW or DCL before then. We paid cash at the time and got some sort of a discount; I vaguely remember a night was about 400ish, which is one the pricier end of an Oahu hotel but still reasonable. When I went I had literally heard nothing about the resort and it was my first time at a Disney resort, and my experience was amazing. The beauty of the resort and the Disney customer service was amazing.

My wife and I had gone to Hawaii multiple times to multiple islands prior to that trip so I knew what to expect from Oahu. Aulani actually made Oahu enjoyable again as I had only stayed in Waikiki before that and did not like it. It was nice to come back to a more relaxing part of the island after a day of doing Oahu activities. As a matter of fact I would say that Aulani is the ONLY reason I've gone back to Oahu as I much prefer Kauai and Maui.

My subsequent pre-Pandemic trips have all gotten better. Going back with two kids I was able to take advantage of Auntie's beach house which was a huge factor as alone time without kids is hard to come by for us. Put on top of that I bought DVC and am able to stay there on points sweetens the pot even further, and that was just in a studio. I have yet to experience a one bedroom villa. I had also since stayed at the Grand Wailea in Maui and while it was a very nice hotel the whole time I was there I was wishing I was at Aulani. It just didn't have that touch and warmth, from the customer service to the architecture.

Fast forward to now I haven't gone back to Aulani because I don't want to be disappointed knowing all the things that are missing, esp Aunties. The Covid restrictions in Hawaii cause me anxiety and I'd rather wait for all that to be over. I can imagine someone who goes to Aulani now would think it's overrated after hearing all the pre-pandemic trip reports. I also think anyone that has experienced other Disney products before, like DVC or DCL, could find Aulani "overrated". There is no Disney bubble at Aulani and there isn't a whole lot to do at the resort when compared with WDW or DCL. They're comparing a Disney resort vacation with a Hawaii vacation while staying at a Disney hotel, which are two different things in my book . I always tell ppl that Aulani is a really nice hotel and not a true resort. The exponentially increasing prices don't help for anyone not staying on DVC points or without a steep discount.

All in all, even as someone who thinks of Aulani with rose tinted glasses I think there is PLENTY of room for someone to think it is "overrated" and I want to validate the OP's opinion that no you're not crazy for thinking so. It's a hard thing to admit but I see it as an overarching trend for the Disney company altogether, but that's another long winded post for another thread.

We were there (Aulani) three years ago and were happy that we had reserved a rental car. We toured the island one day, enjoyed the high end Aulani restaurant once for lunch, tried to walk around the area a bit (meh). We were not thrilled with the beach or pool areas. The beach: chairs arranged in long rows so we felt like we were in a theater or stadium - hated it, no privacy, cramped, noisy. The pool areas also felt crowded and then there was the lack of chairs… We weren’t sad to leave.
One of the major complaints I heard over the several years was chair saving. Did you notice an issue with that or was it just lack of physical chairs being put out? I remember people saying pre-pandemic that the staff was trying to help curb the chair saving issue but wasn't fully fixed with that.

Aulani is a resort, full stop. Three restaurants, two bars, a beachfront, and four or five pools is a resort, full stop. The only thing it doesn't have on site is a golf course. It's not an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort, for sure, but it doesn't claim to be.
And a spa. By reports, a nice one. And on-site photographers, excursions, snorkel lagoon, live entertainment, activities, etc.

So yeah, the amenities offered are surely “resort” level, but it didn’t really have that “resort” feel to me either. I think it might’ve been the combination of how limited (hard to sign up for) the activities (like crafts and lessons) are and just the compactness of the place. I guess it doesn’t feel like you can spend days there and not see it all, like a physically larger resort. IDK, that’s just kinda how it hit me. But there was nothing I can say they don’t have (or didn’t, pre-pandemic).

I had also already spent 10 days in Hawaii, spent 3 of our 5 Aulani days on property, and would’ve liked a couple more. I thought it was the most beautiful and peaceful man-made thing I saw on my whole trip. So saying “not a resort feel” isn’t a dig for me personally “, just a descriptor.

I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere but I missed it. When were you there (pre/post COVID, summer/winter, midweek/weekend)? I'm trying to feel out if there's a common trend between peoples' experiences. The narrative that seems to be emerging might be that Aulani does a poor job of increasing capacity/staffing/offerings during peak demand times. There's obviously not a ton of data to go on, but I'm getting the general sense that people who go in the down times have a better experience than people who go when it's busier.
We were there in June 2017. So yes, it was busy. We didn’t use Aunties, but I’d see the long line first thing in the morning. Long lines at opening for activity signups too. For food and towels, yes there were a few in front of us and yes, Ulu Cafe was incredibly slow with prepared items. And yes, there were definitely way more people than chairs, but we always found a couple together (to share between 4 of us) no matter what time of day. Of course we weren’t trying to get poolside so we could sit in a chair and see the kids in the pool either, but there’s only so much square footage of deck to work with. And the line (and process) to view Photopass pics was redonkulous.

But we never felt they were understaffed and nothing was closed. Now the lazy river closed WAY too early and still does; I hear all the explanations why and I still don’t like it. But overall, I thought the service was as good or better than any Disney deluxe resort (stayed at all but the Grand). And yes, I’m certain that (like most anywhere) you have a better experience if you go during a less busy time.

I think it mostly comes back to perceived value for the money spent. I used my credit card rewards for mine, so I was out of pocket nothing. I’m not sure how many dollars a night I could’ve paid and still thought it was “worth it.” Probably a bunch, since it was a bucket list thing. Although now that I’m headed back to Hawaii (“once in a lifetime…” right….LOL), I’m still using Marriott points for rooms. We don’t really go for the “resort experience;” we’re out and about a lot. And now I’m rambling. The end.

I think "overrated" is a highly relative term. To me "overrated" means someone's experience did not rise to the general level of they have heard from others. I think for something to be overrated means that there must be generally high opinion of it to begin with, which makes sense for a Disney resort.

I'll use myself as an example. I first went to Aulani in summer of 2014. My daughter was 1. I may have taken her to DL for one day prior to the trip but we hadn't quite caught that bug yet at the time (that came later and hit me hard). I had never been to WDW or DCL before then. We paid cash at the time and got some sort of a discount; I vaguely remember a night was about 400ish, which is one the pricier end of an Oahu hotel but still reasonable. When I went I had literally heard nothing about the resort and it was my first time at a Disney resort, and my experience was amazing. The beauty of the resort and the Disney customer service was amazing.

My wife and I had gone to Hawaii multiple times to multiple islands prior to that trip so I knew what to expect from Oahu. Aulani actually made Oahu enjoyable again as I had only stayed in Waikiki before that and did not like it. It was nice to come back to a more relaxing part of the island after a day of doing Oahu activities. As a matter of fact I would say that Aulani is the ONLY reason I've gone back to Oahu as I much prefer Kauai and Maui.

My subsequent pre-Pandemic trips have all gotten better. Going back with two kids I was able to take advantage of Auntie's beach house which was a huge factor as alone time without kids is hard to come by for us. Put on top of that I bought DVC and am able to stay there on points sweetens the pot even further, and that was just in a studio. I have yet to experience a one bedroom villa. I had also since stayed at the Grand Wailea in Maui and while it was a very nice hotel the whole time I was there I was wishing I was at Aulani. It just didn't have that touch and warmth, from the customer service to the architecture.

Fast forward to now I haven't gone back to Aulani because I don't want to be disappointed knowing all the things that are missing, esp Aunties. The Covid restrictions in Hawaii cause me anxiety and I'd rather wait for all that to be over. I can imagine someone who goes to Aulani now would think it's overrated after hearing all the pre-pandemic trip reports. I also think anyone that has experienced other Disney products before, like DVC or DCL, could find Aulani "overrated". There is no Disney bubble at Aulani and there isn't a whole lot to do at the resort when compared with WDW or DCL. They're comparing a Disney resort vacation with a Hawaii vacation while staying at a Disney hotel, which are two different things in my book . I always tell ppl that Aulani is a really nice hotel and not a true resort. The exponentially increasing prices don't help for anyone not staying on DVC points or without a steep discount.

All in all, even as someone who thinks of Aulani with rose tinted glasses I think there is PLENTY of room for someone to think it is "overrated" and I want to validate the OP's opinion that no you're not crazy for thinking so. It's a hard thing to admit but I see it as an overarching trend for the Disney company altogether, but that's another long winded post for another thread.

I feel like Waikiki gives Oahu a bad reputation. I believe it has a majority of the island's hotel rooms, and even more of the tourist-oriented rooms, but it's the least Hawaiian area of the entire state.

Another great point to add, while the facilities at Aulani are still there in 2021, many of the experiences have changed recently. No Auntie's, distanced meet and greets, fewer free and paid activities, and reduced food options are pushing Aulani from a smaller resort to a high end hotel. Disney fans are also used to resorts having 4 theme parks a bus ride away, so expectations are high before they even book.

If people are first timers and are cramming things into their experience, they may become impatient for water slides, meals at mealtime, towels at pool time, shave ice at opening or afternoon and what not. Perhaps learning the ropes would make the second experience much better if underprepared and underplanned. Aulani is not an all inclusive so I think research is in order. Lamenting on an amenity from long ago (yes, i want Auntie's back too) means your info is not overrated but perhaps outdated. (Not speaking to any "you" in particular. Just general statements.)

I went to AU the first fall it opened with my baby and had no desire to go back again. Fast forward a decade later and I want to go regularly. It is really in the eye of the beholder and a timing in your life thing. So I say no. It is not overrated. Just expensive.

You can't just ignore the buy in price.
What I would have paid cash for my 2 trips to Aulani is the same amount that I paid into DVC. But now I have decades of vacations for only my annual dues. Even if I save up and borrow all 3 years worth of points for a 2 week trip to Aulani, what I pay for my annual dues is a fraction of what it would cost me if I paid cash.

What I would have paid cash for my 2 trips to Aulani is the same amount that I paid into DVC. But now I have decades of vacations for only my annual dues. Even if I save up and borrow all 3 years worth of points for a 2 week trip to Aulani, what I pay for my annual dues is a fraction of what it would cost me if I paid cash.
You also currently own an asset that's worth more now than you paid for it. So even if you decided that you never wanted to pay those dues again, you could cash out and end up with that "buy-in price" back in your pocket.

If you're going to factor the buy-in price to any DVC calculation, you also have to factor in the current value of your contract on the resale market.

You also currently own an asset that's worth more now than you paid for it. So even if you decided that you never wanted to pay those dues again, you could cash out and end up with that "buy-in price" back in your pocket.

If you're going to factor the buy-in price to any DVC calculation, you also have to factor in the current value of your contract on the resale market.

I agree, buying into DVC was one of the best decisions that I could have made for my lifestyle.

One of the major complaints I heard over the several years was chair saving. Did you notice an issue with that or was it just lack of physical chairs being put out? I remember people saying pre-pandemic that the staff was trying to help curb the chair saving issue but wasn't fully fixed with that.
In 2019 the issue was the saving
So, this was 3 years ago. The issue was people saving chairs in the pool area. Almost impossible to get some of the most desired locations. It was frustrating and took away a lot of the appeal of the whole pool area. Add to that the beach chair arrangement and we decided not to stay there if/when we do another Hawaii trip.

In 2019 the issue was the saving

So, this was 3 years ago. The issue was people saving chairs in the pool area. Almost impossible to get some of the most desired locations. It was frustrating and took away a lot of the appeal of the whole pool area. Add to that the beach chair arrangement and we decided not to stay there if/when we do another Hawaii trip.
What are considered the "most desired locations" at the pool?

Current look at the former adult pool that people are upset is no longer an adult pool.

View attachment 647421

This was our experience also. During the busiest time of the day, the chairs would get a bit busy but that was because I was there in June when the resort is busiest. But I never saw any kids in the pool and it was generally still a quiet place to sit. We prefer the beach anyway, but I do like to go down early with my coffee and read while my daughter is still asleep. Very peaceful there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter