Coping with Claustrophobia at Disney World?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
As a direct result of the pandemic I've developed claustrophobia, not an extreme case but significant enough to cause panic, anyone have advice on dealing with in the most crowded theme park in the world?
specifically rides to avoid... I haven't been to WDW in 10 years but Mission Space comes to mind as one to avoid

Mission space yes. There’s a Star Wars ride similar to mission space in Hollywood studios. The name escapes me but I’m sure someone will chime in.

How about Tower of Terror maybe? Have you done that before?

Mission space yes. There’s a Star Wars ride similar to mission space in Hollywood studios. The name escapes me but I’m sure someone will chime in.

How about Tower of Terror maybe? Have you done that before?
I have done ToT, when DH & I went in 2011 we rode it 6 times, it was not a problem then but I'm not sure now, I think I'd be ok on the aisle seat maybe..

My mom gets slightly claustrophobic, and some of the worst times for her were in the crowds right after shows. She is short (just under 5'), and she just felt trapped and pressed in. My husband is bigger (6'3") and he went in front of her, and i followed her with my arms out a little to make sure she had some space and she stared at her feet. After that, we didn't try moving immediately after a show and just let the crowds dissipate beforehand and it was much easier on her. She actually did really well on the regular dark rides, which I had been a little worried about, but she didn't do anything like Tower of Terror. Her one time on Mission:Space she actually handled rather well and we were all surprised, but she did not want to go on it again. I'd say skip that one.

Sometimes I can be crowd phobic (feeling like I am trapped and have to get out NOW). For something like the fireworks show, I try to be there very early so no one is in front of me, or I stay on the fringes. I agree with FiestyDisneyMom that when the crowd starts to move out, I find a corner to hang out in and wait for most of them to disperse. For shows such as PhilharMagic or It's a Bugs Life with those long rows, I try to sit at the end of the row.
If it is dark places that are a trigger, then I would avoid Space Mountain.

My mom gets pretty claustrophobic, she's ok with most of the rides, but here are some of the rides/things that she has issues with (and some remedies):
1. Haunted mansion stretching room (she's found if we stay to the outside of the room as close to the wall as the CM will let us she can handle it)
2. Also Haunted mansion, but the queue right before entering the stretching room where they pack you into the space. Again, if she can be next to the wall she's usually ok (her big thing is if there is an easy way to escape she's better)
3. Mission space - just a no go for her, ride vehicle too cramped.
4. MK hub/Main street after fireworks. She's had a complete panic attack here a while ago, so we avoid this these days. The dessert parties have been wonderful for us!
5. Choke points in general when it's crowded. There is one in Liberty Square right by the riverboat where we got caught going against the flow of massive crowds, and once again she had a panic attack. We found if we could make it to the sides she would be better, but generally choke points when crowded, and crowds after shows have been the worst for her.
6. Disney buses when they pack you in there at park close. If she can't be by the door, she can't ride. We usually wait for a few buses until the crowds die out to get on, or hop on a bus to a nearby resort that has fewer crowds waiting for the bus.
7. Not really a real one since she hasn't experienced it yet, but she did watch a video of Guardians, and she is concerned one of the preshow rooms would be too claustrophobic for her, but she is willing to try it. Once again, her thing is knowing how to escape, so if she can be right by an exit she's usually ok.

As a direct result of the pandemic I've developed claustrophobia, not an extreme case but significant enough to cause panic, anyone have advice on dealing with in the most crowded theme park in the world?
specifically rides to avoid... I haven't been to WDW in 10 years but Mission Space comes to mind as one to avoid
As in small closed in spaces or does it also transfer to close tight crowds of people?

As in small closed in spaces or does it also transfer to close tight crowds of people?
both. small closed spaces is worse but people standing too close to me is also a big trigger (I'm a healthcare worker and covid really did a number on my head) if I'm outside I'm ok because I can generally find a few feet of space. I don't like tightly packed line ups...I can foresee Fireworks being a problem...I remember trying to leave MK after fire works and it was uncomfortable back then, now it would trigger an attack

For shows such as PhilharMagic or It's a Bugs Life with those long rows, I try to sit at the end of the row.
I try for the end of the row also, but I'm just wondering how you do this because most of the time they tell people to go all the way in and fill in all the spaces, so you can't really choose your seat.

I am 67 And have been going to Disney forever and may have mild claustrophobia. Weirdly the only time it’s every hit me at Disney was the queue for FOP. Maybe it’s because you go from outside to a enclosed darkish gray tunnel and it can be crowded. I almost exited but just looked at my phone. Once I got into the main room and got on the ride I was fine.

both. small closed spaces is worse but people standing too close to me is also a big trigger (I'm a healthcare worker and covid really did a number on my head) if I'm outside I'm ok because I can generally find a few feet of space. I don't like tightly packed line ups...I can foresee Fireworks being a problem...I remember trying to leave MK after fire works and it was uncomfortable back then, now it would trigger an attack
My son can not do the looping queues with people on either side with no visual of an escape. The worse offenders are Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise Standby, Seven Dwarfs, Frozen Ever After, Toy Story Mania, Navi River, FOP. We utilize the LL (previously FP).

We also only sit on the end seats in theaters where there is a long row across, he had one of his worst attacks ever when we got caught in the middle.

As far as ride spaces Mission for sure, Flight of Passage has two small preshow rooms but there are not many people inside and you are free to move about some - we really don't find anything else too confining.

Fireworks - now with the projection show on the Castle being so much a part of the show - we have yet to see it, the crowds in the HUB are terrifying, even to me. We just enjoy the fireworks from New Fantasyland, a bench over by the Riverboat dock or sitting on the wall in front of Tiki Birds. If they are at closing we simply wait for the crush to leave, grab a snack and sit.

I try for the end of the row also, but I'm just wondering how you do this because most of the time they tell people to go all the way in and fill in all the spaces, so you can't really choose your seat.
We just hold back and wait until everyone else has gone in, or be one of the first in and pick an empty row. People seem to fight for the closer rows so I position ourselves at the back. If it looks like an issue I tell a CM we need to be at the end of a row or the back row where we can exit if need be. They have always been helpful.

My DD gets extremely anxious with large crowds of people packed closely together. She won’t ride Haunted Mansion because of this. The line before the stretching room causes her to panic. The stretching room also creates a lot of anxiety for her, but I learned it’s possible to skip it by talking to a CM and exiting and re-entering the queue.

The crowd of people exiting after Soarin is difficult for my daughter. We hang back a little bit and wait for the crowd to get ahead of us. Big crowds in general make my daughter very anxious so we’ve never watched parades or fireworks in the parks.

BTMRR where the crowd divides and picks one side or the other on the ramp is another one. The line moves fairly quickly, which makes it easier, but sometimes we just skip this ride. The first few times we attempted it but didn’t ride. My daughter got to the ramp (or just saw it from the queue) and decided she wasn’t up for it.

Some lines have CMs telling people to “fill in all the available space.” It was so much easier for my daughter with all of the Covid distancing markers!

We don’t go in gift shops at busy times, like at park closing.

Buses at park closing are another one. My daughter is okay if she has a seat, but she panics if the bus is standing room only, and people are packed in like sardines. If that’s the case, we stand to the side and wait for another bus so that she can sit.

I’ve heard many people say the ride room in FoP makes them claustrophobic. You do get shut in a room but it’s not really that small I don’t think. But I’ve heard others say it makes them claustrophobic.

Agree on the das. My dil has this issue and dad has made the parks an option again. Ask the cast member when you enter if they can seat you in an end seat and they will help you avoid your triggers.

For fireworks and parades, we've found that setting up by a trash can buys you that little extra space.

I'm mildly claustrophobic, I don't mind crowds, but tight dark spaces bother me. The worst situation for me on our last trip was the rise of the resistance queue. I had to use every strategy I have to get through that. It's meant to feel like you're in a cave. I would never consider going on mission space either, but that one seems more obvious.

I have a lot of sensory issues, and the pandemic has done a number on me, too. If I sought help, I’d probably come back with an agoraphobia diagnosis. I went to WDW early last May, when there was a lot of distancing in place. Even then, I struggled. We’re heading back in June and I am very concerned.

I will say buses have always been the worst for me, and I completely dread the packed buses again. There’s no immediate escape, no sense of “just a second and we’ll be around the corner/in new area/something else to focus on. My family has helped with that a lot in the past by making sure they’re the ones surrounding me. If I can sit, they’ll stand in front of me. If we’re all standing, they become my personal barricade.

If you’re not traveling solo, your travel mates can be the biggest asset you’ve got. In crowds, one of them is always holding my hand. This helps to ground me a little. It’s always easier whether it be in queue or crowds if they’re the ones immediately surrounding me, if that makes sense?

Best of luck to you.

Fireworks are very easy to find places with no crowd, but you have to forego seeing the projections on the castle. Go behind the castle, best spot is between 7dmt and Be Our Guest.

Exit the park when it’s not a mass exodus.

Queues that tell you to fill in all available spaces. HM packs people in in the queues and the stretching room, but exiting from the stretching room feels like chaos.

Astro orbiters use an elevator.

Millenium Falcon has 6 people on board in a closed room.

Parade viewing is pretty crowded. Often 3 layers of people. Either watch at a distance with limited view or sit on the curb so people are only behind and beside.

If safety restraints are an issue, FoP has you locked in on your flight. Most of the coasters have lap bar restraints. Rock n roller has over the shoulder restraints. Often, once the ride is over, the car sits and waits to pull into the exit as they check the coaster before yours to make sure nobody left anything behind. Sometimes the wait is seconds. Sometimes longer and on rare occasions can be much longer if there’s clean up. TT has over the shoulder seat belts on the sides, but a lap seat belt for the middle seat.

Also, TT preshow where you build a car can get crowded. But it just depends how many people are in each party. When you exit the car build, the hallway is usually crowded until you get to the top of the ramp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter