Coping with Claustrophobia at Disney World?

My sister has claustrophobia and left FOP in tears. I know it can be very personal and what triggers the feeling can be different from person to person, but she steers clear of that one now.
I can understand. I have bad claustrophobia when it comes to closed spaces (no MRI tube thing for me) but the only time at Disney I was ever even slightly bothered was one afternoon when it was Hades hot and got stuck in an after parade crowd, but I was fine. On my last trip, I started getting panicky on FOP, on the ride. I think the feeling that I could not get out of or off the "bike" got to me, having my legs restrained triggered something. I've been on it at least 6 times and this was the first time I had that reaction. I managed to calm myself down, but I was really surprised by my reaction. Not sure I will ride it this year.

I didn't think I would qualify...I always worry that claustrophobia/anxiety are a thing people will just roll their eyes at...if you don't have it you can't understand how debilitating it can be. thanks for this tip! 💕
There are no specific diagnoses or conditions/disabilities that ‘qualify’ for DAS, so no one can tell you ahead of time that you will qualify or not. Some people with the same condition may do just fine without DAS and others really can’t go without the accommodation.
When applying for DAS, be prepared to explain briefly what concerns you/prevents you from waiting in the regular lines. The accommodation provided by DAS is being able to wait outside of lines - it’s not needed to do things like ask the CM to help you get seated at the end of a row or avoid the HM Stretching room.
Since of the things mentioned in this thread are not really impacted by DAS, so the more you know about the attraction, the better you can plan and prepare.
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 27 on page 2 has some information/explanation on attractions people with claustrophobia felt caused issues for them. I need to add Cosmic Rewind and Rise of Resistance

Last edited:
There are no specific diagnoses or conditions/disabilities that ‘qualify’ for DAS, so no one can’t tell you ahead of time that you will qualify or not. Some people with the same condition may do just fine without DAS and others really can’t go without the accommodation.
When applying for DAS, be prepared to explain briefly what concerns you/prevents you from waiting in the regular lines. The accommodation provided by DAS is being able to wait outside of lines - it’s not needed to do things like ask the CM to help you get seated at the end of a row or avoid the HM Stretching room.
Since of the things mentioned in this thread are not really impacted by DAS, so the more you know about the attraction, the better you can plan and prepare.
Post 27 on the disABILITIES FAQs thread has some information/explanation on attractions people with claustrophobia felt caused issues for them. I need to add Cosmic Rewind and Rise of Resistance

The link isn't working for me, but I followed the link in your signature and found post #27 - so spot on for me, this is a great listing. What a great resource! Thank you @SueM in MN !!!

The link isn't working for me, but I followed the link in your signature and found post #27 - so spot on for me, this is a great listing. What a great resource! Thank you @SueM in MN !!!
Thanks for letting me know. I fixed the post to just say to follow the link in my signature and read post 27

Last edited:
Honestly and totally honest WDW doesn’t seem like an ideal place for you to cope with those issues now. Perhaps you ask your medical professional what you should and should not do to avoid feeling like this I don’t want to make recommendations to place you in an overcrowded park.

Honestly and totally honest WDW doesn’t seem like an ideal place for you to cope with those issues now. Perhaps you ask your medical professional what you should and should not do to avoid feeling like this I don’t want to make recommendations to place you in an overcrowded park.
my therapist says the worst thing to do is avoid the scary thing, because avoiding it gives it power and affirms there is something to be afraid of. We focus more on coping techniques (taking deep breathes and focusing on something else when it crowded lines) but also knowing your limits (like not going on Mission Space) If I avoid WDW altogether, the claustrophobia wins

We just hold back and wait until everyone else has gone in, or be one of the first in and pick an empty row. People seem to fight for the closer rows so I position ourselves at the back. If it looks like an issue I tell a CM we need to be at the end of a row or the back row where we can exit if need be. They have always been helpful.
Yes, we do the same thing. If you hang back, you usually can get the end of the row because most people want to be in the middle of the row as they feel those are the best seats.

HM is a challenge as others have said. I put my back to the wall in the stretching room, and make sure I am all the way to one side when going down the corridor to the doom buggies (which I find worse than the room).

I know it is always crowded now, but in the past we also tried to go during off peak times - I have absolutely no desire to be there during Christmas week 😳. I am hoping that after the initial rush of delayed travel dies down, we will see some less crowded days.

I'm super embarrassed to admit this - but it's a pretty entrenched character flaw (aspect may be a gentler word) by now. I don't think things through very far sometimes. I mean - I do about important things but often with things about me, I'm blaisé. So this thread was on my mind a little bit as I just took a spur of the moment trip and definitely knew to take Mission off of my to do list. Mostly, I wanted to do things that I didn't get to do when I took my kiddos last time and my youngest came in just a hair or two under 48" (I think that's the requirement - doing this from memory) and therefore we couldn't do Rock n Roller Coaster. My mom loved Aerosmith and roller coasters; so, it's a nostalgia thing for me more than anything (I also like coasters but I've done it enough). But with Genie, etc, I got a time for it and could barely make it work (even aside from this issue, I just tried to do too much - but up until the pre-show, I was eager to go on).

So. Pre-show finishes, doors open, and I walked into the queue that I've been in a million times before and it dawns on me in the amount of time it takes to go from 0-60 on that ride (lol) ... the ride is based on being in a car, shoulder harnesses hold you in pretty tightly, and it's because you go upside down. Friends, this is what I've been recovering from for the past 3-4 weeks (behind a spoiler thing in case it could trigger anyone).

278648278_325966302975173_594825421543450764_n-2.jpg

So. I did some deep breathing. I strongly thought about backing out (emotionally - plus I really could've used the couple of minutes freed up) but then it was hard to find a CM to ask how to get out and, of course, they were busy because the ride had been down and I don't like making a fuss. So, I just went along. And it was okay. It was hard; I have to say, I'll probably never do it again (at least the gist of the ride is different than what happened with me, plus it's such a short ride). I can't say I had fun - but I also didn't have the difficulty I thought I might when I first walked in. And it definitely 100% re-affirmed my sense that Mission:Space (and likely FoP, sadly enough) are off-limits for me for quite some time if not forever.

Anyway, my heart goes out to folks dealing with this - it's such a hard thing physically and emotionally.

Are you dead set on going to WDW? Are there other places you would consider that you would enjoy that would be a little less challenging? (You might just love theme parks and really want to go. Or maybe it's a family trip that others are really looking forward to, that you want to be part of. In that case, OK I get it. It's definitely your choice and you are doing the preparation and planning, so good for you.)

But my husband, for example, who has not been diagnosed with claustrophobia or anything like that just doesn't care for crowds, prefers to stay home vs. travel to crowded theme parks, prefers to visit wide open spaces out west vs. crowded cities. We all love the west, so tend to do a lot of western USA vacations that he will enjoy too. And these days with popular national parks being overrun with people we are picking slightly less popular places or going slightly off season. And for our occasional theme park / WDW fix, DH stays home.

This might not be the same thing at all. I didn't know this, till I did a particular hiking trail in Sedona, AZ, and I found out that I have a fear of heights. I'm fine on coaster, drop rides, anything with man made constraints. But on a pretty easy hike to Devil's bridge, there is this reasonably wide (maybe even 10 feet wide in the most narrow area) where if someone did something stupid, they would fall to their death. I didn't go out on it, sat to the side, and my heart was pounding all of a sudden and kept pounding till everyone in my family was off the bridge part. Photo below. I prefer hike where if you did something stupid, you would just break a leg. It was wild, the physical reaction that I had. All in my party are adults, and it's perfectly reasonable for them to do this hike. What I do, though, is if this is the hike they are doing, I just do something else on my own and meet up with them later. Problem solved.

1652538300948.png

Last edited:
I refuse to take the escalator up or down at The Contemporary as it is steep and narrow. I think it is the original and doubt it would ever pass modern building codes. I have vision and walking issues and am terrified when I look down that shaft. There is an elevator, so just ask when you get off the monorail or going up to the monorail from the main concourse. We're staying at BLT next week LOL!

I can't stand to be restrained so, RNR is extremely hard for me to do. At the end of the ride they have you sitting in the dark before you advance to get off. I get really panicky so, my son always talks to me and blows in my face to alleviate some of my reaction. Not sure why but, if air is blowing in my face I'm fine...

Mission Space is a HARD PASS! I tried one time about 5 years ago and soon as they put you in to sit I freaked out!!! They let me exit (well they had no choice) as I literally started crying!
I had major eye surgery in Boston a few years ago. You are awake and the surgery took about an hour. I started panicking and they rolled in a portable fan to blow on my face and a bit more medication. It worked and allowed me to be motionless for the remainder of the surgery.

I bought a neck fan for our trip next week. I just bought it because I'm always hot, but it may come in handy!

I can't do Mission Space either. You aren't alone.

I have mild claustrophobia, though there have only been a few times it's really bothered me at WDW. During the pandemic when the acrylic dividers were up in some of the tight queue lines, I have no idea why but that really got to me. When you have a long wait at Rise in some of those dark tunnels, ugh. Distraction is key for me. Just can't think about it. And on FOP, getting strapped in, the waist part was super tight and made me panic slightly. The CM was able to loosen it and I could relax.

In crowds, we try to be on the edges where we can, but my trigger is more the small, tight, confined spaces. It's been years since riding Mission Space and I don't recall that bothering me, though I was more worried about not getting sick I think :) None of the other rides bother me at all.

Are you dead set on going to WDW? Are there other places you would consider that you would enjoy that would be a little less challenging? (You might just love theme parks and really want to go. Or maybe it's a family trip that others are really looking forward to, that you want to be part of. In that case, OK I get it. It's definitely your choice and you are doing the preparation and planning, so good for you.)

But my husband, for example, who has not been diagnosed with claustrophobia or anything like that just doesn't care for crowds, prefers to stay home vs. travel to crowded theme parks, prefers to visit wide open spaces out west vs. crowded cities. We all love the west, so tend to do a lot of western USA vacations that he will enjoy too. And these days with popular national parks being overrun with people we are picking slightly less popular places or going slightly off season. And for our occasional theme park / WDW fix, DH stays home.

This might not be the same thing at all. I didn't know this, till I did a particular hiking trail in Sedona, AZ, and I found out that I have a fear of heights. I'm fine on coaster, drop rides, anything with man made constraints. But on a pretty easy hike to Devil's bridge, there is this reasonably wide (maybe even 10 feet wide in the most narrow area) where if someone did something stupid, they would fall to their death. I didn't go out on it, sat to the side, and my heart was pounding all of a sudden and kept pounding till everyone in my family was off the bridge part. Photo below. I prefer hike where if you did something stupid, you would just break a leg. It was wild, the physical reaction that I had. All in my party are adults, and it's perfectly reasonable for them to do this hike. What I do, though, is if this is the hike they are doing, I just do something else on my own and meet up with them later. Problem solved.

View attachment 669130
We are 100% going to WDW. I love Disney World and I'm sad I haven't been in 10 years, literally nothing compares, seeing my little girls' faces light up and watching them experience the magic for the first time ever, overrides my fears. I will learn to cope.

My sister has claustrophobia and left FOP in tears. I know it can be very personal and what triggers the feeling can be different from person to person, but she steers clear of that one now.
I had issues on FOP, though I was able to hold on until the ride started and then I forgot all about it. But the panic started when the restraints went on. I felt... trapped. I have the same problem with the overhead restraints on Rock N Roller coaster. Came REALLY close to a panic attack the last time I rode that.

I also have problems in some lines. For me it's the worry of not being able to "escape" if I need to. Usually I am okay if I can keep some space around me. I never have had to leave a line, though I do get very antsy in longer and tighter lines.

I can't even WATCH videos of Mission Space without feeling a bit of tightening in my chest and my heart starting to race.

And it was okay. It was hard; I have to say, I'll probably never do it again (at least the gist of the ride is different than what happened with me, plus it's such a short ride). I can't say I had fun - but I also didn't have the difficulty I thought I might when I first walked in.
Kudos to you for pushing through! :thumbsup2

View attachment 669130
I’m similar. I cannot do things like your picture due to the feel of falling and being on that narrow ledge. It’s even worse with my kids and other people around me because 1. I feel like they are going to fall off 2. I feel like I or they are going to get jostled or pushed off. Can’t do ski lift type things either. I’m fine on the skyway, an airplane, etc because I’m enclosed. I’m fine of rollercoasters. Narrow high ledges are a no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter