Coalition

Coalition?? yea or nay or whatever

• For the Coalition

• Against the Coalition

• Don't care abou the Coalition

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tantor

<font color=999999>Ventured over to the dark side<
I'm curious about how many are for or against the coalition. I'm suprised there is no thread on this....we are such mild mannered people on this Canadian board. maybe this will start some discussion!!

For the Coalition
Against the Coalition
Don't care about the Coalition

I think the coalition is a joke, and it won't last nearly as long as they think it will.

All parties have to abandon fundamentally beliefs to be a part of this coalition, including supporting the BQ, which has no business being in the Federal Gov't.

All over $1.95 vote. Personally, I agree with the Conservatives on this. Why should private political parties get paid with public funds.
They won't go bankrupt if they have the support of their supporters.
if they do, then they don't have enough support anyway.

Personally, i think it is just SOMETHING for them to get hung up on.

Regardless, i don't think it will change anything other than the name on the PM's office door. So i will have to say "I don't care"

I really don't care what party/parties formed the coalition - so don't try and tell me that I don't like this because of political affiliations- my point of view is that we voted "democratically" for the goverment of choice - sure it is a minority - but at least minorities can get things accomplished ( most times) - HOWEVER - forming a coalition in some ways just smacks of dictatorship..it seems like a bunch of whiney babies who did not get elected getting all cranky and saying we are going to overturn the goverment just to get our way..now when you say it that way what does that sound like...

if this were any other country in the world we would be marching in the streets againnst this crap - just look at the mess in Taiwan...

For crying our loud Canadians stand up for your rights..

Who cares if they call for another election - so do it

My blood has been boiling on this for days and I could probably write and write and write. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I am not going to though because it will just make me even more mad! Today would be the first day that I have had to turn the radio off, was listening to CBC this morning as usual and they had Ed Broadbent on, I thought I was going to have an car accident if I didn't turn it off!

I will say one thing....if this was happening in another country, we (and the rest of the world) would be calling it a COUP!

I'm undecided about whether a coalition is the best form of government for Canada right now, but I disagree with the idea that a coalition is a form of dictatorship or somehow undemocratic. There is precedent for it in our government, as well as in many other parlimentary governments.

Would it be more stabilising to have another election (and another, and so on...) until we get a single party majority? I don't think so.

Unless the leader of the minority government can work with the opposition, minority govermnents cannot work. I can't see Harper working well with the opposition any more - I think his arrogance has gotten us in this situation.

Our government is broken right now - can you suggest another way to fix it?

M.

My blood has been boiling on this for days and I could probably write and write and write. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I am not going to though because it will just make me even more mad! Today would be the first day that I have had to turn the radio off, was listening to CBC this morning as usual and they had Ed Broadbent on, I thought I was going to have an car accident if I didn't turn it off!

I will say one thing....if this was happening in another country, we (and the rest of the world) would be calling it a COUP!

YES YES YES!!!!
I got an email yesterday and sent along my vote AGAINST!

Please don’t let the parties who didn’t get elected form a coalition government without your say. E-mail the moderator at the Governor General’s office and let her know where Canada stands on this issue!

moderator@gg.ca

The whole situation really ticks me off. What a farce. I'd rather have another election even though it pains me to say it.

I'm undecided about whether a coalition is the best form of government for Canada right now, but I disagree with the idea that a coalition is a form of dictatorship or somehow undemocratic. There is precedent for it in our government, as well as in many other parlimentary governments.

Would it be more stabilising to have another election (and another, and so on...) until we get a single party majority? I don't think so.

Unless the leader of the minority government can work with the opposition, minority govermnents cannot work. I can't see Harper working well with the opposition any more - I think his arrogance has gotten us in this situation.

Our government is broken right now - can you suggest another way to fix it?

M.

I understand that our governing system is set up so that this can happen, BUT.....I don't believe that Canadians really want this to happen. I think that most people feel that when they vote they are voting for whom they would like to see as the Prime Mininster or as governing party.

I think that this has been planned far beyond this week, they were able to pull it all together WAY TOO quickly, it seems to have been in the works for some time.

Not one person had the ability to vote for a coalition government when they voted, especially one that includes a party that wants to SEPARATE Canada!!! How ironic is that?

I get depressed when I see people angry over this. I think the coalition's a bad idea politically for the parties instituting it, and an overreaction, and I voted "don't care. It's clear a lot of people don't quite understand parliametary politics and are clearly blaming one side or the other when there's enough blame for bad faith politics to go around on all sides of the issue. As soon as someone declares themself all or nothing on one side of this debate, I feel their opinion can safely be ignored as emotion-based thinking and not fit for consideration. That said, I got all my feelings out on my blog last night, and feel no need to go into it further. Especially when people start acting like BS media pundits.

I just hope this crap doesn't ruin my Christmas. Some of family are just a little succeptible to "talking points."

It's refreshing to see people talking politics but I'm not hearing a lot of debate. Just a lot of anger and rhetoric from both sides.

If my memory from history courses serves me well, since confederation twice previously a minority government has been replaced with a coalition.

Hopefully more people will get out and vote next election.

Just the thought of that useless piece of space (Stephane Dion) running the country ,gives me nightmares !
On the other hand,Harper is a spineless twit !:confused3

my point of view is that we voted "democratically" for the goverment of choice - sure it is a minority - but at least minorities can get things accomplished ( most times) - HOWEVER - forming a coalition in some ways just smacks of dictatorship..it seems like a bunch of whiney babies who did not get elected getting all cranky and saying we are going to overturn the goverment just to get our way

I'm going to save myself some typing and simply say that I totally agree with the above.

Not to say I'm totally happy with Harper's government since the election....they are waiting WAY too long to do something about the state of our economy....but for the Liberals/NDP/Bloc to bring down a government voted to power by the people of Canada? I'm having a hard time explaining the logic of this to my 12 year old, after all the talk of the benefits of living in a democratic society.

I'm going to save myself some typing and simply say that I totally agree with the above.

Not to say I'm totally happy with Harper's government since the election....they are waiting WAY too long to do something about the state of our economy....but for the Liberals/NDP/Bloc to bring down a government voted to power by the people of Canada? I'm having a hard time explaining the logic of this to my 12 year old, after all the talk of the benefits of living in a democratic society.

I agree. I was discussing this with my 9 year old son. He couldn't understand the point of an election if the parties ... (his words) "who lost is just going to gang up on the person who won, that's just being a poor loser". It did take me a while to convince him that elections are very important since it give us all a "voice" in how the country should be managed. But, it was difficult to explain.

We the Canadian people voted for a Conservative government Not a coalition! What right do these people have to change what the canadian public voted for. There was no great outcry from the canadian public to change the government.

I'm in agreement with most of what has been stated. Yes, it is within their right to do so, but ethically, based on the voting people, it's wrong. It especially interested me that I too, am beginning to believe this has been in the works for a while and Mr. Harper just gave them some fuel to promote it. It doesn't make much sense to me how NOT 1, NOT 2, but 3 different parties were able to come to political agreement so quickly, especially since one is against the basics of Canada altogether. I have never been a supporter of Mr. Harper, but these three stooges just make a mockery of our voices!

Please review your history before posting..a political coalition by federally formed government parties with federal interests is within our "constitution"

However the "BLOC" has never had federal interests at its core - only provincially centered ones. I have no issues with a province wishing to maintain a society or a way of life - however you want to phrase it - but tearing a great nation apart to do it is - well beyond the polite words I would care to use.

I refuse to be flamed for anti- separatists views - I will not address those, so if you are going to rebuke me for that go ahead - that is another issue altogether.

That is the problem with speaking out against this coalotion - it seems we are speaking out against the BLOC and in essence - Quebec - this is hardly the truth - I have a great number of friends in that province - and I respect the people for trying to maintain a sense of history and self...

So speaking out against this coalition is speaking out against the democratic process as written by our mandates - again read first...

I would feel the same if Ontario had a major separatist movement and basically tried to overturn a legally elected goverment by forming a coalition..

And don't try to fool yourself into thinking that this is a spur of the moment thing....read the various articles about it - this for all intents and purposes looks and smells like a well thought out and planned coup....

I hate the thoughts of listening to more election garbage on TV - but quite frankly this is the only way to asses the validity of this coalition..

Also if you have ANY DOUBTS as to what the world thinks of this - just check out the recent further "crash" in the TSE - also just give the bank a call and ask them how much money you have lost on your investments in the past couple of days - you will quickly change your mind on letting this farce continue

Please review your history before posting..a political coalition by federally formed government parties with federal interests is within our "constitution"

However the "BLOC" has never had federal interests at its core - only provincially centered ones. I have no issues with a province wishing to maintain a society or a way of life - however you want to phrase it - but tearing a great nation apart to do it is - well beyond the polite words I would care to use.

I refuse to be flamed for anti- separatists views - I will not address those, so if you are going to rebuke me for that go ahead - that is another issue altogether.

That is the problem with speaking out against this coalotion - it seems we are speaking out against the BLOC and in essence - Quebec - this is hardly the truth - I have a great number of friends in that province - and I respect the people for trying to maintain a sense of history and self...

So speaking out against this coalition is speaking out against the democratic process as written by our mandates - again read first...

I would feel the same if Ontario had a major separatist movement and basically tried to overturn a legally elected goverment by forming a coalition..

And don't try to fool yourself into thinking that this is a spur of the moment thing....read the various articles about it - this for all intents and purposes looks and smells like a well thought out and planned coup....

I hate the thoughts of listening to more election garbage on TV - but quite frankly this is the only way to asses the validity of this coalition..

Also if you have ANY DOUBTS as to what the world thinks of this - just check out the recent further "crash" in the TSE - also just give the bank a call and ask them how much money you have lost on your investments in the past couple of days - you will quickly change your mind on letting this farce continue

I think that most people here have said that they know and understand that a a political coalition by federally formed government parties with federal interests is within our "constitution". What they are saying (including myself) is that even though we know that, we are not happy with it and that it "feels" like it should be unconstitutional.

I don't like the coalition at all --- while I understand it may be constitutionally legal it is certainly not what the people of Canada voted for. I see this as a giant step back for democracy in our country. Time will tell whether this will make more people see the importance of voting or if it will deepen the apathy that makes voter turn out so pitiful right now.

The thing I think that concerns me most is that this all seems very "back room" to me. What deals have been made between the parties to reach this accord? I could honestly see that the NDP would trade off and support the Liberals ill-conceived "green shift" if the Liberals agreed to remove the scheduled corporate tax cuts (good idea Jack, tax the profitable corporations heavily while handing out money to unprofitable corporation) --- each of which were soundly rejected by voters in the last election.

In these times I really worry for our country --- I think this coalition could be a disaster for our economy. The fact that a political party who is dedicated to the destruction of our country will have a key role in this coalition only adds to mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter