Christmas in Germany

We did The Germany trip in summer 08. Our entire group stayed in the main building. I didn't know there were other buildings. Our rooms were huge. Our kids room was bigger than most NYC apartments. It was cool enough in the summer with the windows open (no AC there or in Rothenberg). There is nothing to do there at all except for all the activites Disney provides. It's the kind of place to hang out and drink wine. The kids played soccer and cards. It was a few hours when we arrived and a few hours the next afternoon. It felt like a nice slow down in the middle of an otherwise packed itinerary.

This location was a favorite of mine. We did this trip in October last year and the fall leaves and countryside were spectacular in Trendelburg. We were the only group there-22 of us and we were all in the main building-I was not aware there was other buildings to stay in. My Mom and I shared a room that was just huge. It must have been 20 feet wide and thirty or more feet long. I think it was the best room in the castle and was up one flight of stairs. No elevator in the castle and my Mom is 80 years young so the guides knew she needed a room with not too many stairs. It was very quiet and serene-just what I wanted on vacation. The hotel in Munich was too elite and big city for me but it did have the best breakfast of all locations. I much preferred the country setting over the big city. I guess it is all in what you are used to-I am a country girl. All 4 hotels are a little different on this trip to give you an overview of the area. Take time and enjoy what each has to offer. You will love this adventure.

From the beginning of Advent, booths and stalls are set up on the market-places in all cities where you can buy everything you need for Christmas: decorations for the tree and candles, crib figures and gingerbread (which is mainly baked and consumed at Christmas), Christmas trees, and presents for Christmas Eve. Walking through such a market really is an exceptional experience. Children enjoy this most of all. The smell of fir resin and roasted almonds intermingle. Then there are all the lights from the stalls and the little stoves where sausages are fried and chestnuts roasted. Songs and the sounds of music fill the air. The most famous Christkindlmarkt takes place in Nuremberg and attracts lots of visitors every year.

This sounds like such an amazing, amazing trip! Please!:flower3:do a trip report when you get back!!:)

I am assuming it will be largely cash (Euro) based shopping in the Christmas Markets--guess I'll bring more Euros than normal on this trip, at least to cover my gingerbread habit that is sure to develop! (For those who have gone on the Germany Adventure in the past--albeit not the winter one--any tips re cash vs credit, etc?)

No problem with credit cards or ATMs. It's the same as the US. Be sure to alert your bank to authorize use of your ATM card.

The food, beer, and wine are all spectacular. The best shopping is in Rothenburg, especially Christmas goods.

Anyone have any good suggestions for German Christmas music CDs? I keep hunting on iTunes and stuff, but I don't know what is likely good to help me get into the mood.

Well... not quite CD... more like download from Rhapsody and/or iTunes. It is really good and $9 for 16 song album.

Not bad. Opted for Rhapsody because it is MP3 and I can burn it to a CD as a backup...

The music is really pretty... and I can start to get in the mood...

DH has been watching diligently for "the box" which hasn't come yet. It's hard to believe that it is only 45 more days until we fly. I SO wish the kids didn't have midterms right up until the last minute or that either of them could afford to blow off one of the tests.

Been listening to Christmas music and doing some digging on what we can do on our time "off". DD has ordered her Letter Jacket (who knew you could letter in ROTC) and hopes like heck that it gets here in time. I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but she figures it will be warm enough with a sweat shirt under it even for colder times.

I'm starting to try to figure out what to pack... should I plan on really cold or only late fall in PA cold?

Where is everyone else who is going from? We are from central texas.

Can you tell I'm starting to get excited? Even have my countdown on my white board at work.... :santa:

I am watching for the box too! (last year, the box came closer to 30 days out due to the different holiday time itinerary for the Knights and Lights trip, so while I hope it comes any day now, it could be another two weeks). (We also booked via AAA, so I have to rely on my AAA agent to let us know when things arrive--we HAD a great travel rep from AAA, but she retired and the new one just isn't up to the same level; our prior agent was ALMOST as enthusiastic about Disney trips (cruises/parks/ABD) as we are, so it was a lot more fun working with her.) We are from San Diego--so we have to dig deep from winter clothing! (Last year the best thing we did for the cold climate in Paris was bring hand warmers we got from a sports store--tucked them in our gloves). I've been watching the weather for Frankfurt and Munich--so far, the temp highs in the 40s and 50s, lows have dropped below 30--but no snow yet that I can see. Our friends from Germany tell us there should be snow--I hope so, but not so much as to create any problems! (We are also doing a pre-night in Heidleberg and two post nights in Munich--with a tentatively planned side day trip by train to Salzburg, weather permitting).
Looking forward to meeting you all! (Our DS turns 16 in early Dec and our DD turned 9 in August).

We called the ABD folks today--the Germany Christmas details/ABD box will be sent out by the end of next week. Das ist gut!!

WOOHOO

Box was on the porch when I got home this afternoon! 4 blue backpacks (was hoping for hunter green or maybe... red.... for christmas... ah well) and the itinerary...

This is actually happening!!!

:banana::cool1::woohoo::santa:

Our AAA agent hasn't gotten back to us yet--I imagine our box is sitting in her office! (This is why we'll be booking on our own--or maybe CostCo-- the next time we book a Disney trip). I am very eager to see the itinerary--does it appear to be the same as what we were told a month or so ago? Very exciting--just 5 weeks to go!

Backpack for our Jr Adventurer is the same--which works for her. The adult ones are smaller but seem to have plenty of storage compartments and inside pockets, so it should work pretty well on the plane (and for the bus rides in Germany). In the Travel and Leisure magazine that we got in the mail today there is a great article about Christmas in Munich--what perfect timing!

Thought I'd move this up one more time as we are now less than 2 weeks away from the Germany at Christmas adventure! I used to pay the guide tips with travelers checks (it was listed as an acceptable method of payment, and less for me to be worried about)--but now the tips suggestions state only cash (Euros or American in this case). Alas--but it'll be easier for the guides!

This week--looks like temps in the 40s (Frankfurt and Munich) with some rain--I hope the rain goes away (cold, I can deal with) and snow in moderation starts soon!

FigmentFan--look forward to meeting you!

Thought I'd move this up one more time as we are now less than 2 weeks away from the Germany at Christmas adventure! I used to pay the guide tips with travelers checks (it was listed as an acceptable method of payment, and less for me to be worried about)--but now the tips suggestions state only cash (Euros or American in this case). Alas--but it'll be easier for the guides!

This week--looks like temps in the 40s (Frankfurt and Munich) with some rain--I hope the rain goes away (cold, I can deal with) and snow in moderation starts soon!

FigmentFan--look forward to meeting you!

:goodvibes Have a great vacation! :wizard: Let us know how it was to!

It has been a really really not great couple weeks around our house... but life is starting to get somewhat normal and I'm really starting to get excited and looking forward to the trip.

I'm hoping the detroit airport has improved in 8 years... we have a 5 hour layover. I'm also hoping for no snow in detroit!

I'm thinking that we need to run out and get a spare coat for at least one of the kids. NO, I'm not paranoid.

last of the batteries are charging... we are almost all packed. This weekend is backing up the laptop and cleaning off the external hard drive...

I'm looking forward to the munich glechenspiel!

ff

I happened to have lunch the other day at WDW with one of the ABD tour guides for this trip! This person is a fun and excellent guide! You are lucky to have them on you trip! Have a great Christmas experience in Germany!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter