Christmas in Germany

Gloves, layers of clothing and lots of hand warmers are on the list--we are in a heat wave here in San Diego, so the thought of a cold and rainy or snowy Christmas sounds good to me! (Enjoy South Africa--we had hoped to do that this Christmas, but due to costs we scaled back a bit and are going with the Germany trip.) Hey Figmentfan--where and what is the Philosopher's Trail? Ober und aus.

Thanks for the web site--looks great (and that site had a lot of interesting recommendations for other European cities, too--wish I had an unlimited budget!)

Hey Figmentfan and others going to Germany at xmas: the details are now in place and an ABD rep will be calling this week--I called today and got some of the details (guides are--as of now--Stephanie, from Berlin area, and Jennelle--probably misspelled that; she's been a Disney guide for a few years). The trip sounds great--and is just about full.

Oh... EEEEEPPPP!

I may have to call them tomorrow afternoon if they don't call by then... just so I can be home when we get the details (as opposed to being at work when they call).

Thanks for the heads up!

I figured the trip would be nearly a sellout, but I was also hoping that the 'coach' wouldn't be too too crowded...

A few things I picked up in the call from yesterday: our group will tour with its own Night Watchman--guess there are normally hundreds that follow one NW. Bit of Disney magic (and pull!) there! No bear factory or bike ride due to holidays and weather, but there is an addition of a circus performance, and a few additional meals--and the Xmas Market in Numberg (from the books I've read, that is the most famous of the Xmas Markets). We'll head to Munich on Christmas Day, and we'll have three nights at the hotel there (from the guidebooks, the hotel in Munich is top notch, centrally located with excellent service, pool, sauna etc etc). The ABD rep had been on the Germany trip before, and raved about the additions to the holiday trip--and the guides, of course!

Sounds charming, and I knew nothing of these Christmas markets until I saw a brochure earlier this week from another travel company promoting their tours. I didn't see anything about this on the Adventures By Disney web site either. Going away during the Christma holidays might be a really good way to enjoy what is often a high-pressure holiday for families at home.

This one is there under the 2009 dates... or maybe holiday trips. DH keeps finding it.
They emailed me the updated itinerary.
I'm surprised/impressed we still get to do archery.
I'm WAY looking forward to the circus and our own personal night watchman. I'm wondering if maybe they are slower this time of year and it was easy to get an extra watchman willing to work during the holiday season to make a bit of extra money.

Just curious - what's a night watchman? This trip sounds like a lot of fun - and like one poster noted, maybe a good way to do something special for the holidays which doesn't put stress on family members in the ordinary way. How lovely to have Disney take care of it all for you!

Sounds charming, and I knew nothing of these Christmas markets until I saw a brochure earlier this week from another travel company promoting their tours. I didn't see anything about this on the Adventures By Disney web site either. Going away during the Christma holidays might be a really good way to enjoy what is often a high-pressure holiday for families at home.

If you look under About Us... look under holiday departures and THAT is where you can find the trip. It actually just links to the 2010 itinerary but that is where you can see the dates.

AND, today marks 90 days.

Just curious - what's a night watchman? This trip sounds like a lot of fun - and like one poster noted, maybe a good way to do something special for the holidays which doesn't put stress on family members in the ordinary way. How lovely to have Disney take care of it all for you!

This is what I found to explain it...
1 tripwolf member likes Nightwatchman tour I like it
watchman4

photo by Walhei

100_1398
Rothenburg. photoalb.us
* see all photos

Nightwatchman tour

by Walhei

English guided tour throu Rothenburg every day at 8pm between easter and x-mas. In the years before the dawn of the 20th century, the night watchman was one of many citizens of Rothenburg responsible for the safety of the inhabitants of this walled, fortified city. Even though the citizens who slept soundly at night in their beds trusted him to keep the streets inside the high stone walls safe, his status was less than honorable. His pay was low and his job was a dishonorable one. Only the gravedigger and the executioner were lower. His job was dangerous, because he had to guard the city at night like a policeman.

http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show/378132/Germany/Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber/Nightwatchman-tour

Don't know if this is the actual tour, but it looks like a good explanation of what I think they are talking about.

We just returned from the trip. It was fun but with some drawbacks. Accommodations in Trendelburg were problematic at best. That was clearly the low point and with the trip cut to one night there and one more night in Munich, that change is a very big positive. Christmas day in Rothenburg will be fun. Jennae should be one of your guides and she is great. You should have two days of four hour bus rides, be patient. Dress warmly, Neuschwanstein will be cold, but should be very beautiful.

A valuable tip, in Rothenburg, the Kathe Wohlfahrt stores are everywhere (many are not label as such). If you have purchased and shipping from one of their stores and are buying and shipping from another of their stores, show the cashier your prior shipping receipt BEFORE SHE RINGS UP ANOTHER RECEIPT. They will combine the shipping and save you duplicate charges.

We just returned from the trip. It was fun but with some drawbacks. Accommodations in Trendelburg were problematic at best. That was clearly the low point and with the trip cut to one night there and one more night in Munich, that change is a very big positive. Christmas day in Rothenburg will be fun. Jennae should be one of your guides and she is great. You should have two days of four hour bus rides, be patient. Dress warmly, Neuschwanstein will be cold, but should be very beautiful.

A valuable tip, in Rothenburg, the Kathe Wohlfahrt stores are everywhere (many are not label as such). If you have purchased and shipping from one of their stores and are buying and shipping from another of their stores, show the cashier your prior shipping receipt BEFORE SHE RINGS UP ANOTHER RECEIPT. They will combine the shipping and save you duplicate charges.

Thanks--we are looking forward to the Christmas markets and the additional time in Munich. And thanks for the Kathe Wohlfahrt shipping tip--would never have occurred to me! (Although I AM wondering whether I should tell DW...we'll be buying enough as it is at the xmas market...) What were the lodging issues in Trendelburg?

At the Trendelburg, i heard some people had problems with the flow of water in the bathrooms and the amount of space inbetween beds. Maybe Tom and Sue can explain more.

With the exception of three or four rooms in the main building, the rooms and bathrooms were very small. No phone, no internet and nothing to do in the town. The cellphone coverage was good. The winter should be okay, but in the summer I would worry about being too hot.

Okay... so... as a geek it may not be totally heaven, but no connectivity... quiet night... I think it wouldn't be too bad for the night... especially given that my kid is totally castles and mideavel...

Here is hoping for snow that night...:wizard:

We did The Germany trip in summer 08. Our entire group stayed in the main building. I didn't know there were other buildings. Our rooms were huge. Our kids room was bigger than most NYC apartments. It was cool enough in the summer with the windows open (no AC there or in Rothenberg). There is nothing to do there at all except for all the activites Disney provides. It's the kind of place to hang out and drink wine. The kids played soccer and cards. It was a few hours when we arrived and a few hours the next afternoon. It felt like a nice slow down in the middle of an otherwise packed itinerary.

I love reading about this trip. It looks like it is going to be a fantastic adventure. I bet the food is one of the best parts! Can't wait to read more!:goodvibes

I agree--and we are nearing the 60 day mark. The guides now have a break (for this trip) between now and the Christmas trip, so with that bit of a rest up and the excitment of the holiday season, I imagine everyone will be really pumped up for this particular Adventure. It should be a wonderful experience! (When I asked a month or two ago it was nearly full--anyone call lately for the number of people going/break down of the ages of the kids?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter