Christmas in Germany

figmentfan2009

Mouseketeer
Has anyone been on the Germany trip over Christmas holiday?

Is anyone GOING on the December 20 - 28 trip to Germany this year?

Anything anyone can tell me wonderful about that trip?

Hello! We are going on the Christmas Markets trip to Germany--my understanding is that this is the first year a xmas trip has been offered, apparently based upon requests to include the famous Christmas Markets. I have a call in to ABD to let me know about the details--there will be changes to the schedule due to the holidays and weather--they have promised to let me know when they know. I'll post what I learn. Meanwhile...if anyone else has any inside scoop please share! (We have a DD who will be 9 and a DS who will have just turned 16).:santa:

I was under the impression that information on holiday tours aren't available until about a few months before the trip. But maybe this year will be a little different ...

Either way, when the cast members at AbD know, they'll probably call each person that is booked on those tours. Right?

JUST got off the phone with the booking agent... the itinerary should be firmed up over the next couple weeks. Right now, VERY tentatively, they have this...

2 nights in Heidelberg
1 night in Trendleberg
2 ngiths in Rothenburg and
3 nights in Munich

Not stopping at Steiff factory (it is closed all that week). They aren't sure what they are replacing it with.

Added... Nuremberg Christmas Market.

Now, to start pulling together boots and sweaters which I haven't needed in a while.

princess:

thanks Figmentfan! Sounds like the number of nights per town is the same--with the elimination of the stuffed bear factory and the addition of the xmas market. We did the xmas London/Paris in 2008 and were very pleased with the way Disney worked with the holidays (including a great full day/evening at Disneyland Paris on xmas day), so have no doubt the German itinerary will be just as magical. Are you going, and if so any kids?

Number of nights in each place changes... it was 2, 2 2 and 2, now it is 2, 1,2,3

Yes, we booked today, we have a 17 and a 15 going as well as dh and I.

They said that they are still working on what to replace the bear factory with so I don't think that is what Nuremburg is doing...

My kids are thrilled to death that they may actually get to not only see Germany but Germany in the snow... DS is totally into history and particularly the medieval period so it is going to be a particularly magic holiday season for us this year.:santa:

Haven't taken the tour but having lived in germany for 3 years in my younger years (Mannheim) I will tell you that christmas is one of my favorite memories. The christmas markets are beautiful and having spent a lot of time in heidelberg you'll have a wonderful time.

Have fun!

Thanks for the correction--we re-went through the ABD website to get the current trip details to compare, and do note the extra night in Munich (and one less night at the castle). We've already booked a pre and post night, so this gives us yet more time in Munich--and more likely now a day train trip to Salzberg! I've decided to stop comparing the trips--the Chirstmas trip will be decidedly different, and it is all good! I checked a Germany guidebook and it sounds like the Nuremburg Christmas Market is quite the experience--guess city goes all out and it is quite well known.

Thanks FigmentFan2009! From maps etc I'm guessing we'll be at the Christmas Market on Dec 23, which may be the final day for that market--it may go to the 24th (some of the markets apparently close on the 23rd). Hey--aren't you about to go on the China trip? We did that last June--it was indeed the trip of a lifetime, and we even ventured out on our own in Bejing using the subway (although I'd recommend taxi--very very inexpensive). If Daisy is one of the guides, tell her hello from Ashley from California (our soon to be 9 yr old, who just adored Daisy). We had Dusty and Daisy--great guides.

We lived about 45 minutes from Nurnberg four years ago. You will love the market- all of Germany is beautiful during Christmas, and the market and old square is magical- especially if there is snow. I want to go back again:)

Haven't taken the tour but having lived in germany for 3 years in my younger years (Mannheim) I will tell you that christmas is one of my favorite memories. The christmas markets are beautiful and having spent a lot of time in heidelberg you'll have a wonderful time.

Have fun!

I also lived in Mannheim when I was younger! We were there in 89-92. I agree...the Christmas markets are great and Heidelberg has a wonderful one. Be sure to drink plenty of gluhwein!

For those who have lived in Germany...it looks like ABD will have us staying in Munich for the final three nights of the trip, which will include Christmas Day and Dec 26 (from the guidebooks it looks like everything is shut down for both days). Do the trains run on limited schedules during those two days?

FigmentFan2009: the ABD rep said that as of this week, there are 10 kids on the trip (wide range of ages), which is pretty good 6 months out.

at least one of the 'kids' is 15, the other will be a week away from the great 18th birthday. Both are actually looking forward to ice skating in Heidelberg if we have the time!

There were 7 empty rooms before we booked (now there are a max of 5).

I'm hoping they have something wonderful booked for our time in Munich. I didn't get many details, only that the bear factory is closed the whole week.

Just moving this up, as we are getting closer to December. No word re the final schedule, although I heard a few weeks ago that there were only a couple of rooms left. Who all is going?

Well, Don't know about anyone else, but we are still going... still looking avidly forward to it... still haven't heard ANYTHING about the itinerary.

BUT!!!

I keep hoping to hear... and I keep hoping that someone will start talking about it soon! I'm getting to the "I'm excited" point again.

I bought a nifty little common German phrases book from AAA for $5, to brush up on my very minimalist German (from my high school days xx years ago!)--and I'm starting to focus on Germany travel books to get ideas for free time. I feel the excitement building! I spoke with a couple who live in Munich and they said it is 50/50 there will be snow on the ground at Christmas--and that the Christmas markets are sights to behold. (Also sounds like the train to Salzburg is pretty easy, so we are likely to be doing that at some point during our Munich stay--we are adding on two days at the end via ABD, so we'll get to know that city pretty well). I saw other comments about the Germany trip that suggested it was more adult than child oriented, which was surprising--we wanted to do this trip while our youngest was still "young enough" to be thrilled with the fairy tale aspects (she's 9). It'll be a great trip, I am sure--for the young and old at heart!

To those of you who are going -- have a great time! I am soooo jealous. I think the Germany trip looks like the most "magical" of the Adventures. Anyone can take you rafting the grand canyon, but nobody does castles and fairytales like Disney!!

I have to find a phrase book and I'm REALLY hoping that real german is a lot like the amish version of german!

I am hoping a lot to be able to walk the Philosopher's trail and get some pictures and enjoy the peace!

Have been to Germany many times (married a good German boy) - but have not been with ABD. All I remember about our trip at Christmas was it was VERY cold and rainy, so pack accordingly. I never expected the markets to be outside - LOL I mean, really, it was cold AND raining. Way too cold for this Georgia girl. :) But it was a lot of fun and our kids loved it!! Have a great trip!! We are headed to South Africa next week with ABD - a little warmer:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter