Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Pretty sure Chicago was the last marathon major to go to a qualifier/lottery for the 2014 race...up until then it was first come first registered. I was part of the last free-for-all registration in 2013 and there were major server issues and they closed registration very shortly after it opened to try to solve the mess.

While most marathons are experiencing declining participation, from what I've read, I think the really big and/or unique ones like Chicago, NYC, Big Sur, etc., will still continue to fill without difficulty. The Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) seems to have bucked the downward trend as well, finally going to a lottery in the last few years. I remember the first I tried to register (2012), it opened at noon and had sold out by the time I got home from work to register, a record at the time. In the following year, it sold out in less than an hour, and had major server crashes the year after that, finally leading them to go the lottery route. It is interesting that I got in this year, the first year I actually tried to the lottery route. I never could find any data on how many people applied for the lottery, so I don't know what sort of odds I beat, but I'm wondering how many people balked at the big bump in the entry fee, from $100 last year to $160 this year.

Question for those who have done this race before....

Has anyone purchased admission to the Balbo Hospitality tent? If so, was it worth it?

Has anyone purchased admission to the Balbo Hospitality tent? If so, was it worth it?

I have not done Chicago, but my co-worker who did Chicago in 2016 told me at that time that she really enjoyed those amenities. If she were to ever do a Disney race, then she would get Race Retreat. From her description, they seemed similar. I considered it, but haven't decided if it is something I would want or not. Kind of cool you could meet the Champions though.

Some of the charities are pushing for early race registrations - $1000 raised for guarantee entry if you do it before the raffle.

Do we think everyone will be pulled like last year? I can't think of anyone I know who didn't get picked. :confused3

Do we think everyone will be pulled like last year? I can't think of anyone I know who didn't get picked. :confused3

Tough to say. The press clippings post-lottery seem to indicate a roughly 50% lottery chance in the past. But it seems we can't come up with anyone we know collectively that has not made it in. Certainly could just be some lucky friends we all have. Although, the guaranteed time qualifier status has changed this year which makes it even more difficult to guess what will happen with the lottery.

Well I mean I once won my school's lego building contest in 2nd grade and I did win a local news game show about space in 6th. But I haven't gotten an invite to any "champion" tent perks yet. :(

I won first place in our region for typewriting in the Future Business Leaders of America competition. Sadly, I crashed and burned at state due to my inexperience with correction tape versus erasable bond paper. I’m still bitter.

A little bit of good news, my wife has decided to enter the lottery :cool1:, meaning that I can officially register as well as she's on board for a fall 2018 Chicago trip, yay!

She has said that she would never run a marathon, then did WDW 2016 and Dopey 2017. She insisted she would never run a non-Disney marathon either, so...never say never :D

Figured I would get my application in before the lottery applications started flowing in...looks like this is happening!

24209833748_30e2f4da2d.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter