Canada to announce new travel restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying across Canada is expensive. I can fly from Alberta to Orlando for cheaper than to fly to Eastern Canada. How SAD is that? It is not wonder more Canadians don't travel in our own country as much. When you cost into a trip to the opposite side of Canada with flights, hotels, food and car rentals....it is cheaper to fly internationally.

Yes! A friend of mine, they almost always travel in Europe, because they can get better deals on flights there, than they can staying within Canada.

Yes it is. We've been checking for awhile. ☹ But if they're struggling financially, and need to rebound, in the economy we're going to be left with, not a lot of people are going to be able to afford those prices, normal or not.

Pretty sad that we can do a week at Disney cheaper than a week in AB, our own country.

We have not a staycation near us in years, We are on Vancouver Island. I started looking at prices for places near us and couldn't believe how expensive it all is. Seriously could fly to Mexico and spend a couple weeks for 2 people at the same rate as a week in BC. Have booked a hotel in Osoyoos for June and best rate is still close to $1400 for the week or actually 6 days. YIKES!!! Now waiting to see if our restrictions will be lifted or not by then so we can go. If not we will cancel.

I really need some Disney soon, I have been listening to the Park music at home, hubby comes in and has a little laugh but never says anything... I'm sure he misses it too but won't admit it

We have not a staycation near us in years, We are on Vancouver Island. I started looking at prices for places near us and couldn't believe how expensive it all is. Seriously could fly to Mexico and spend a couple weeks for 2 people at the same rate as a week in BC. Have booked a hotel in Osoyoos for June and best rate is still close to $1400 for the week or actually 6 days. YIKES!!! Now waiting to see if our restrictions will be lifted or not by then so we can go. If not we will cancel.

I really need some Disney soon, I have been listening to the Park music at home, hubby comes in and has a little laugh but never says anything... I'm sure he misses it too but won't admit it

I hear ya! We're also on VI and whenever we used to look at a weekend in Vancouver (in the "before times" of course!) we always budgeted for at least $1000 between ferries, hotel, food, and activities! :eek:

It's not much better here on the east coast, trust me. If we want a decent hotel for our family of 4 in the "tourist" areas like St. Andrews, Halifax, Cavendish etc... it's around the same price for a week in the summer. The cottage we rented last time in PEI - not on the water, but about a 3-4 minute walk, but it was out in the middle of nowhere, 25 minutes to Cavendish, was $1700/wk in peak season. Try to get something like that in Cavendish in summer and you're looking at $2000-2500.

It's not much better here on the east coast, trust me. If we want a decent hotel for our family of 4 in the "tourist" areas like St. Andrews, Halifax, Cavendish etc... it's around the same price for a week in the summer. The cottage we rented last time in PEI - not on the water, but about a 3-4 minute walk, but it was out in the middle of nowhere, 25 minutes to Cavendish, was $1700/wk in peak season. Try to get something like that in Cavendish in summer and you're looking at $2000-2500.

I guess when you can only rent your house out for a very short period of time each year, you've got to charge enough to make up for the rest of the year.

Those places in the nice warm weather can rent out every single week of the year.

Will we even be able to travel inter provincially this summer I wonder? I would strongly consider going out East or out West but what are the odds we will even be allowed ?
As of now we are considering Florida at the end of 2021 or early 2022 but if that’s looking unlikely I would happily plan to stay in Canada . I just don’t even know if we will be able to move around freely.

Will we even be able to travel inter provincially this summer I wonder? I would strongly consider going out East or out West but what are the odds we will even be allowed ?
As of now we are considering Florida at the end of 2021 or early 2022 but if that’s looking unlikely I would happily plan to stay in Canada . I just don’t even know if we will be able to move around freely.
I think by summer it will be back to like it was last summer. My plan is to hopefully drive to Montreal for a week in July. Go to La Ronde and do some other things. I think by then cases will be low again and traveling in Canada will be encouraged.

I think by summer it will be back to like it was last summer. My plan is to hopefully drive to Montreal for a week in July. Go to La Ronde and do some other things. I think by then cases will be low again and traveling in Canada will be encouraged.
That’s what I’m hoping too .

I'm hoping the Atlantic bubble will be back at least. We would like to go to PEI for a few nights. But if not, we'll probably just do a couple weekends away within our own province.

I would be happy to be able to travel in my own province or to the other end of our island.. fingers crossed we will all get to do a little something this summer....

So many things that I miss since covid restrictions, but one of the big ones is jumping in my car and going on a road trip for the day....

Well, BC is one of the most beautiful places in the world. People come here from far and away. Why would it necessarily be cheap? Living here certainly isn't cheap either lol.

Well, BC is one of the most beautiful places in the world. People come here from far and away. Why would it necessarily be cheap? Living here certainly isn't cheap either lol.

Because lots of amazingly beautiful places all over the world are affordable? 🤷‍♀️ It's not expensive because it's beautiful, it's expensive because it's Canada. But, definitely correct that it's not cheap place to live!

What does everyone think about the impact the new variant might have on summer plans? I read this morning that one should have eye protection and masks for all people in an interaction, even when outside and distanced. Got me thinking that my backyard pool visits of last summer may be gone this year.

Interprovincial travel may be out for us for the time being with these variants. Seems my world just keeps shrinking....
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-variants-canada-risk-1.5901797

Last edited:
What does everyone think about the impact the new variant might have in summer plans? I read this morning that one should have eye protection and masks for all people in an interaction, even when outside and distanced. Got me thinking that my backyard pool visits of last summer may be gone this year.

Interprovincial travel may be out for us for the time being with these variants. Seems my world just keeps shrinking....
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-variants-canada-risk-1.5901797

Wow. I hadn't read that, especially the eye protection. Good grief. "After just minutes of exposure"... that's worrisome. I'm starting to think like you - we're probably not going to be able to do much of anything this summer. :(

Wow. I hadn't read that, especially the eye protection. Good grief. "After just minutes of exposure"... that's worrisome. I'm starting to think like you - we're probably not going to be able to do much of anything this summer. :(
Right, I know?

Makes me wish I was able to put a pool in the back. I was hoping we'd be able to go to the beach and Calypso water park this summer but I guess not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter