Breaking up with Disney?

Here is where the analogy breaks.

I love Disney. I am frustrated right now by the company - and particularly by the activism the company has chosen to engage in with politics that have nothing to do with Disney's business. That's different from the normal complaints on here about G+, Prices, and CM's. It's still a valid reason however (in my book) to be frustrated with the company.

You can't just walk away from decades of marriage. So I can't just easily give up and leave. Any relationship - even one with a company like Disney takes work. The problem is that usually a marriage takes investment on both sides. You both have to be willing to work at it. Disney isn't willing to work at it. I have written them and asked them to come to counseling with me so we can work on our problems together. I didn't even get so much as a "I'm busy right now, but maybe we can talk about it over dinner?" from Chapek. I sent flowers, but I don't think Disney even put them in a vase. :-(

All kidding aside, I am in a bit of a bind. On the one hand, I want to speak with my wallet and let Disney know I am unhappy by withdrawing my funding from the company. On the other, that's going to hurt me more than them since it would mean selling a long term investment that I won't get back. I can't change my mind in 2 years and just bring things back to normal (just like if you get a divorce).

I don't want to give up on Disney. But I want them to hear my concerns and at least take them seriously. If they listen and ultimately decide to move in a different direction than I support, then I can move forward with my life and be comfortable with my decision. But right now it's really hard to know where their minds are and where they see themselves in 5 years.
Disney has always been involved in politics, it just was not talked about as much as now. It does not bother me in the least. I don't even agree with my spouse about politics.

A part of it is changing demographics. Millennials now have the largest buying power. Gen X is moving into their peak earning potential. Decisions for Disney and a lot of companies are made with these folks in mind, particularly the technology decisions.
Not that I have a horse in this race, but I’m a late baby boomer (1964), and have more purchasing power now than I have ever had. Not sure where you are getting younger folks have the buying power.

Now that we are 3 hours from Disney instead of 14 hours, we are contemplating selling our remaining three contracts. We have enjoyed our three night/four night short trips for the past four years, but now we no longer enjoy the new attractions (we're not about fast, spinning, jerky rides - I get motion sick and have BPPV vertigo from time to time). We've enjoyed the Epcot festivals, but we wind up spending on average $40 a day to go to the park and then $70 a day each trying all the food items that we enjoy. We used to get the all parks and water parks passes years ago (no more than $400 a person) and now we have been purchasing the Florida Weekday pass (also about $400 a person). We live 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, so we can have a beach vacation any day of the year (or just swim in our own pool). We had some banked points from 2019 into 2020, so we have four nights booked in March (no park tickets) to celebrate our anniversary. Once we use up those points, we'll decide if we plan to keep them or sell them all or one or two of the contracts. We sold two contracts about 14 years ago to reduce the dues we were spending and still had plenty of points for at least two trips a year. We're not fans of Disney's trends in movies and television any more either. So a divorce seems imminent.
We have sold two of our three contracts. We have one left (the original OKW contract that we bought 25 years ago) and that may go on the market in a few months. We have a ton of banked points and our son may want to use them with a few friends (plus he still has friends at WDW who have guest passes he could use).

I became a member in December 2021 and I too miss the good ole days, like late 2021/early 2022. 😉
Nothing will match those days, oh where did the magic go....

Still love it.... getting my WDW planning on for Feb 2023... spreadsheet and 11month reservations are made

More than 20 trips to Disney World since 1995 and DVC members for 20 years. Sad to say that the last five years of changes at Disney have been too much nonsense. They are only interested in the cash flow now. Your experience has become irrelevant. Contracts are up for sale. Time to move on. This was a difficult decision but the recent changes, specifically the Genie+, was the last straw.

Finally, why should anyone believe they are entitled to be able to afford a Disney vacation, no matter what their income happens to be
This statement says it all. You have no idea who Walt actually was, and why he built the parks. You would be a perfect board member.

Not that I have a horse in this race, but I’m a late baby boomer (1964), and have more purchasing power now than I have ever had. Not sure where you are getting younger folks have the buying power.
I agree …. No better experience than living through decades of economic cycles to respond to various policies. I shifted into real estate when spending spree started.
I returned from WDW last week and noticed a lot of grandparents among families seeing kids depart as grandparents stayed longer duration.
The younger generation will soon realize double digit market returns are not normal.

You have no idea who Walt actually was, and why he built the parks.
Actually, I do. Neal Gabler's excellent biography is one good source. Disneyland was, in part, one of the earliest and still best examples of corporate synergy. It is no accident that the Lands were patterned after many of the main themes of the Studio's films. It is also no accident that there was a weekly show on ABC promoting the Park, because ABC provided much of the financial backing in exchange for the weekly content of the show. More corporate synergy.

The aw-shucks gee-whiz good-ol'-Uncle-Walt act was just that. An act.

You would be a perfect board member.
Ad hominem attack? Welcome to my ignore list.

Actually, I do. Neal Gabler's excellent biography is one good source. Disneyland was, in part, one of the earliest and still best examples of corporate synergy. It is no accident that the Lands were patterned after many of the main themes of the Studio's films. It is also no accident that there was a weekly show on ABC promoting the Park, because ABC provided much of the financial backing in exchange for the weekly content of the show. More corporate synergy.

This biography was done very well I thought, I knew some of Walt's history, but this book was very informative.

disneysynergy.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter