Breaking up with Disney?

DisneyGal24

Always dreaming of Disney! DVC—SSR & AKL
I can’t believe I’m even saying this but I think we are breaking up with Disney. I’ve seen this same thing on the disboards over the years and now it’s us. Disney has meant so much to my family over the last ten years. It has been our go to vacation destination with us spending a minimum of two weeks each year. Due to the pandemic, we haven’t been to the parks since July 2019. We have enjoyed some resort only stays as well as VBR. At the parks, so much has changed that I just can’t get excited about our July 2022 trip. I am really dreading the whole thing and that never happens!!! I even suggested to DH that we should sell one of our contracts and he actually agreed! Anyone else out there feeling this way?? It just feels like the magic is gone for us and it makes me sad.

If Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selections excite you, then do not sell.

Since you have not been since July 2019, there are several new attractions to experience:
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Smugglers Run
  • Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad
  • Ratatouille
  • Guardians of the galaxy (2022)
  • Tron (TBD)
The Magic Kingdom and Epcot both have new nighttime shows.

If these get you excited, then do not sell.

Really, the reason to sell is if you are disgusted by the obvious money grabs - big price increases in tickets, hotels, and food. Plus a lot of petty nickel and diming - end of Disney’s Magical Express, end of free FastPass+, end of free MagicBands, etc.

You’ll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if Walt Disney World is still worth it for you.

I am sorry that you are feeling this way because any vacation, Disney or not, should be making you feel excited. A lot of things have changed and there are people who just don't fee it gives them the same level of fun.

Maybe as you get closer to it, you will get that magic back! I hope so!!!!

Before I would sell a contract, I would rent it out, pay the maintenance and make some profit. Do this for a couple of years and see if you will want to get rid of it.

Im not happy with the direction, but things change and I cannot imagine selling my contract. If I didnt want to go, I would bank my points, if you can, and wait another year.

Sorry you’re not feeling it right now. Our last trip was January 2020. We had June 2020 plans that were canceled lots until we gave up and banked everything. We’re planning for Summer 2022 as well. While I’m not dreading it, there isn’t much that I can say I’m really looking forward to seeing or doing other than spending time with my family. The new shows released this week aren’t even a draw. I really didn’t like either. Plus this kite flying at AK looks ridiculous. I think we’ll give it one more shot before deciding to walk away & choose other vacation options. I hope top brass shifts for the better and maybe get some people who love Disney and not just dollar signs. I get Disney is a corporation but, it’s about balance. You can give customers a chance to have a wonderful experience and still make a profit.

Last edited:
I agree with @js and it's exactly what we will be doing next year and maybe even the following year as well. I look at it as a trial separation instead of a divorce. If we learn that we don't miss Disney at that point, the contracts will go up for sale.

We left Disney, but it wasn’t so much of a break up on our part.

Disney broke up with us.

We were huge fans of the old Pleasure Island, especially the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse. When those venues closed, there was truly no evening adult entertainment.

THEE single best attraction Disney had, that happened to be a bar, was the Adventurers Club.

That was the beginning of our divorce. If you have never been, you will never understand.

Kungaloosh!!!

We are planning for March 2022 - I will admit I’m not feeling the magic as much this time around. A lot of it is Genie+, ME, and the fact that many of our favourites are still closed. However I’m willing to experience it myself in person and see. My two kids could care less about any of those things above - they just want to get back to their favourite place. I’m thinking (hoping) once we are there, and I see their happy faces, I’ll feel the magic once again.

I can’t believe I’m even saying this but I think we are breaking up with Disney. I’ve seen this same thing on the disboards over the years and now it’s us. Disney has meant so much to my family over the last ten years. It has been our go to vacation destination with us spending a minimum of two weeks each year. Due to the pandemic, we haven’t been to the parks since July 2019. We have enjoyed some resort only stays as well as VBR. At the parks, so much has changed that I just can’t get excited about our July 2022 trip. I am really dreading the whole thing and that never happens!!! I even suggested to DH that we should sell one of our contracts and he actually agreed! Anyone else out there feeling this way?? It just feels like the magic is gone for us and it makes me sad.
This is how we feel also. Bought DVC in 1997 and just loved it when we took kids back then. Have a trip in June 22 and for the first time not excited about it but promised grandkids this trip. Had a dream when bought DVC to take grand kids here. Did take oldest grandkid Jan 2020 for a short weekend trip after not being in the parks for 5 years and could not believe how crowded it was compared to years before. I was so excited that trip when I drove back on to property but after going to the parks I felt like the magic was gone. And now with all the changes and money grabs I have no desire to return. I watched the 2 new firework shows on youtube and the music was just terrible at both it just made me sad to see what the future of wdw will be like. After this trip will either sell our dvc at a very nice profit or just continue to use them at Hilton Head.

A lot of the negative feelings come from many of upper management's decisions. I have said before, but Bob Chapeak was probably the perfect person to run Disney during the Pandemic. Now that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, he is not the person fanatics like me want to lead forward. I am a person who likes to see things half full, so I am hopeful that Chapeak run will be short and a true lover of all things Disney will be put in charge.

Admittedly my first trip to Disney was February 2020 so I don't have a lot of experience pre-pandemic, but I have gone 3 times since March 2020 and I have two more trips scheduled through February 2022.

I would say take the things that are mentioned on this forum with a grain of salt and don't let them influence your opinion until you experience the changes for yourself. Think about all the reasons you purchased your DVC contract and why you went to Disney for 10 years and see if those things have actually changed.

I recommend renting out your points for a couple years and use that money for other travel. Then, make a "final" visit to Disney and see if you really want to sell at that point. There will always be changes, but it's easy to make new travel habits and to find new fun ways to visit.

The Magic Kingdom and Epcot both have new nighttime shows.

Really, the reason to sell is if you are disgusted by the obvious money grabs - big price increases in tickets, hotels, and food. Plus a lot of petty nickel and diming - end of Disney’s Magical Express, end of free FastPass+, end of free MagicBands, etc.

You’ll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if Walt Disney World is still worth it for you.

I haven't given up completely yet but the new MK fireworks show was a big disappointment - no magic at all. Haven't watched the new Epcot show but I am kinda mad about the barges messing up the views around the lake. The new MK show is definitely a big negative for me. Disney seems to be underestimating the value of nostalgia in their enthusiasm to promote their newer IPs.

The money grabs are definitely also an issue - it's true.

But there are a lot of other fun places in the world to go...

For us, we Are early planners. 11 month reservation, 180 day meals, 60 day fast passes. It spread out the planning and gave you something to look forward to. The 60 day planning for meals then day of lightning lane reservations takes away the “fun” of planning. Add in all the changes that can happen right before your trip and it makes the process less enjoyable In my opinion.

We've been using our points for HHI and Hawaii. We don't have a lot of points, however, so for us "breaking up" with Disney isn't a divorce - its just moving from a "one of your best friends in high school" to "we've grown apart and stay in touch on Facebook."

I have made this mistake before. We rebought our points at the end of 2020 and then did another add-on. I was also disillusioned and we also had some things we wanted to do to our house with the money. What I found is that other vacations are just as expensive if not more expensive (at least for the type of vacations I want to have) and staying in regular hotel rooms just did not feel like a vacation with two teenagers. I think other people have good advice. Rent out your points for a year or two and see how you feel then. I SO regret selling our BLT points we bought in 2010 for $120 or lower

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter