Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

Just an FYI for those who may be travelling to Aulani in near future.

We are just back from a family trip in early Dec. Our family has been to Aulani many times now and we love the lazy river, particularly my wife who has some mobility issues and loves to float and walk the river. The river for this trip was abnormally cold. Like very cold to the point that my wife couldn’t get in (along with many other guests). My sons and I are used to swimming in cool water and we also found it uncomfortably cold and only went for a couple of quick laps.

I raised issue with guest services who said they have been getting complaints but that the river is set for 82 degrees and that is what it should be. I indicated it was no where near that temperature and asked they they check things out. They said they would advise recreation and get back to me, They never did. I did ask a few lazy river life guards who said the river was definitely much colder than normal but they had not heard anything official. One life guard heard a rumour that the heater was broken but had no idea when things might get better. Other guests were speculating that Disney has just lowered temps to save on energy costs. At this point, we have no idea if something was broken but we have made some inquiries to help alleviate our concerns for future trips.

On the definite plus side, we did find cast members to be very friendly and courteous. In addition, the staff levels have improved considerably since our trip from April.
The lazy river is much much warmer today to my delight. Many of our followers need not to worry! Problem solved! We just enjoyed 3 laps!

Curious if anyone has info on the temperature on the lazy river in summer months - just to compare when the cold season comes around

We were the first ones in the lazy river at 8am the week of the 4th of July. It is cold in the morning! The foliage has grown in and it’s very shaded back there. Of course you warm up pretty quickly in July. The 2 pools closest to the lagoon have the most sun and are much warmer in the morning and late afternoon.

I don’t know the lazy river water temp but the other day it felt noticeably warmer than the ocean, which was 79 F according to an online site.

Is it that bad in Nov.? We've only been to the Big Island (2009 and 2011) in May and over Mother's Day, which was a bargain time to go back then. Due to the deep recession in 2009, we got our flight from Madison, WI, a beautiful 2-bedroom condo at the Houla Resort located just outside of Kona for 9 nights, and a rental car for $2400 from Orbitz. Then in 2011 we paid $3400 for same package for 8 nights. I know those days are over!

When we arrived in 2009, the rental car folks tried to get me to upgrade to a convertible. I refused but then when we went out back to get our car, we got to pick out one of eight convertibles. That's all they had left when they tried their best to get me to upgrade. 😎 We generally spent a lot of time in the car with the top up except in the late afternoon and evenings. In the nine days we put 3,000 miles on the car driving to Hawi three times, twice to Hilo and once up to Volcano. Here's a few pictures of the Big Island's Beauty.

View attachment 729290View attachment 729291
I don't know if you already noticed - but I love that there's a heart shape in the first picture (I have several shots that are super identical to yours).

It has been fine for quite a while now.
I always appreciate and trust you have current scoop! We are returning the week prior to Christmas this year 12.16-23 with my parents who won’t be very comfortable at their age in colder pools.

What pool temps should we prepare for with the pools and lazy river? How about the lagoon?

Anything else you think we should be mindful of at this time of year? We had only visited once prior in July. Thanks!

OP here. On the one year anniversary of starting this thread I have to ask how the temp is in the lazy River these days. Anyone there now who can provide an update? Cheers

I was there last weekend and I didnʻt even go in the lazy river. It looked cold! :) I did spend a lot of time in the jacuzzi which was nice and hot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter