Better than Visa Magic Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
calling National and having some $8-per-hour phone employee tell you that you can use a discount code, is not very good verification or assurance. you still goes at your own risk, so why bother calling to begin with?

Sorry to resurrect an old and heated thread, but I just had to share my good luck---

I risked the insurance issue. Used the 67 code plus the $35 web coupon. And happily the agent at the Car Care Center location also took an Entertainment book double upgrade coupon on top of all that.

So, we had a full size car for one week in August for $82.

Couldn't have done it without the DISboards.

:disrocks:

:yay: 7days, $92, no problems, none at all. This was just last week. Thank you to the OP.

Had 2 reservations in August, no problems with either one. Picked up at Oakland and at Sacramento. Also had a friend pick up at Orange County. No one had any problems. Too bad the code got pulled.

The purpose of these types of forums is to help people find deals they normally could not find on their own; the 'deals' are sometimes codes that they are not eligible for, but are able to use.
It's called 'a slick deal' and beating the system.

If you don't understand the concept, or are one of the folks who have to call to verify, then you really don't belong using the codes if you are that worried about it. Use a code that you are eligible for, and leave the 'slick deals' for those of us willing to go for it.

As I said, the first rule of the 'deal' is to NEVER CALL. If you were eligible for it, you'd know about it.

Don't ruin it for everyone else. Times are hard for folks and deals like this can make or break someone's ability to go on a vacation if you think about it. I'm not speaking for myself, but for other's who do whatever they can to get their family to Disney, or wherever, at a bargain price.

Just my $0.02

**I added the bold above**

It makes me concerned when people are willing (and happy) to be "slick" and do something that isn't 100% on the up and up just to get ahead. If one will do something "slick" for something non-vital then what will one do when it's over something vital?

Are you serious? What exactly are you implying that people will do? I am completely for everyone having their own opinion, but to make a blanket statement like that is pushing it. I didn't even use the code but to me that is a little unfair. :confused3

**I added the bold above**

It makes me concerned when people are willing (and happy) to be "slick" and do something that isn't 100% on the up and up just to get ahead. If one will do something "slick" for something non-vital then what will one do when it's over something vital?

Oh and I suppose that by your participation in this forum looking for deals doesn't make you someone who is looking for a deal?

Just because I look for the best deals doesn't mean I'm something that you have insinuated. I won't get into a flaming contest with the likes of someone as anal-retentive as yourself, but my original post says it all, how I feel.
If you want the deal, take it, use it and have a back up plan B, but DON'T CALL and screw it up for the rest of us.

Calling is for the weak and fearful who are afraid of every little step they take in life.

That being said... good day.

PS: Oh, and How is it that I am getting ahead by getting a good rate on a rental car? Interesting thought process you've got there... LOL

calling National and having some $8-per-hour phone employee tell you that you can use a discount code, is not very good verification or assurance. you still goes at your own risk, so why bother calling to begin with?
:thumbsup2 def not worth a thing:confused3 u could call 3 times and get 3 different answers to your questions of course it happens @ WDW too;)

while i believe that calling can red-flag/kill a code, im more inclined to think that the different rate categories (which is what contract IDs really give u) r capacity controlled the same way their coupons r:idea: ...once the magic # of rentals have been reached during a specific time period/per corp ID it is removed & the rate defaults to basic rental rate that's my theory & im sticking to it lol

I started this thread and got excited, read the end and was not excited read some fo the middle and now I'm confused?

These codes are corporate codes? Do you have to use them as an Emerald Aisle club member? I understand the risks involved with this code - I just want clarification on what has been discussed so far (preferrably without reading all 56 pages).

D4D

I started this thread and got excited, read the end and was not excited read some fo the middle and now I'm confused?

These codes are corporate codes? Do you have to use them as an Emerald Aisle club member? I understand the risks involved with this code - I just want clarification on what has been discussed so far (preferrably without reading all 56 pages).

D4D

This is an old thread that has been beaten to death. I never should have posted yesterday (or was it the day before?). All I was trying to do was report that I used the code with no problem.

The codes in question are no longer available.

There was some uncertainty as to who was allowed to use the code. I used it a few times without any issue. However others were told at the time of rental that they did not qualify for the code.

The moral allegations made by many are really not appropriate. The bottom line is that National has the ability to restrict the use of these codes and they are not. They have the ability to note on the reservation that any particular code requires and ID, a coupon, blue hair or whatever. They CHOSE not to put these restrictions on the reservations when these codes were used. They also CHOSE to note on some coupons that the physical coupon is required at the time of pickup so the ability is there.

There is no moral problem with attempting to use a code for a discount and if the system allows it, getting the deal. I see nothing slick about that. I've said before, National KNOWS that the internet exists and that there are people sharing codes. They have CHOSEN not to put these restrictions on the reservations so no one is getting anything over on them. They are ACTIVELY allowing it to happen - whether people are calling or not.

I agree with the poster who said the calls did not likely kill the code but instead the number of reservations made with it.

One more question - where is it documented which codes are for whom? I may be mistaken but I don't recall that all the codes listed in this thread were shown to be for use by specific people. I know one email indicated one was a 'complementary' code and could be used but that is vague language and does not say that it can only be used by xyz. One of the others was said to be only for the travel agent employees but I don't remember if I saw any documentation at all.

So before the moral argument continues, I'd like to see PROOF from National that each of the codes were restricted and then how, and to whom. I know the codes are dead for new reservations but there are plenty of people who have existing reservatiosn with them.

I am, by the way, a seasoned traveler - I traveled for business for 9 years.

The moral allegations made by many are really not appropriate. The bottom line is that National has the ability to restrict the use of these codes and they are not. They have the ability to note on the reservation that any particular code requires and ID, a coupon, blue hair or whatever. They CHOSE not to put these restrictions on the reservations when these codes were used. They also CHOSE to note on some coupons that the physical coupon is required at the time of pickup so the ability is there.

There is no moral problem with attempting to use a code for a discount and if the system allows it, getting the deal. I see nothing slick about that. I've said before, National KNOWS that the internet exists and that there are people sharing codes. They have CHOSEN not to put these restrictions on the reservations so no one is getting anything over on them. They are ACTIVELY allowing it to happen - whether people are calling or not.

I agree with the poster who said the calls did not likely kill the code but instead the number of reservations made with it.

One more question - where is it documented which codes are for whom? I may be mistaken but I don't recall that all the codes listed in this thread were shown to be for use by specific people. I know one email indicated one was a 'complementary' code and could be used but that is vague language and does not say that it can only be used by xyz. One of the others was said to be only for the travel agent employees but I don't remember if I saw any documentation at all.

So before the moral argument continues, I'd like to see PROOF from National that each of the codes were restricted and then how, and to whom. I know the codes are dead for new reservations but there are plenty of people who have existing reservatiosn with them.

I am, by the way, a seasoned traveler - I traveled for business for 9 years.

Lots of us on this board are seasoned travelers. :goodvibes
I don't use codes I'm not certain I qualify for, because I don't want the financial risk. Others feel differently-that's certainly OK.
The real problem is this: Folks come to the DIS for sound, honest information. Imagine how absurd it would sound on the resort board if there were "codes" posted that were for the private use of travel agents, or new folks were soundly put down for "calling" Disney with a question. :rolleyes1 That just wouldn't happen.
I wish the slick deals stayed at slick deals, fat wallet, and flyertalk. The folks at those sites understand the legal/financial risk, and are OK with it.
I believe most of the folks who come to the DIS to plan a nice vacation really aren't looking for slick. They're look for legit and no hassle.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

This thread is really not serving any great pupose here anymore. It is getting nasty, with not so nice posts back and forth. So....a few comments before I close it.

1. Just because someone here used a code, does not automatically make it 'good' for everyone else.
2. If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.
3. Be sure you qualify for the code you are using.

Just because others have been able to use a particular code, does not mean that everyone is going to be able to use it. Yes, sometimes travelers get through with no issues. My problem is the person who does get asked for that 'proof' and doesn't have it. If just one person gets nailed, based on what they read here, then that's one too many people getting 'caught'.
These 'codes' could be perfectly fine to use.....it is truly a case of 'buyer beware'. I don't trust anyone, on the phone, telling me 'Oh sure, you can use that code..no problem.'...it's not skin off that person's nose if I'm stuck holding the bag.
So..use codes you know you qualify for. If you find a code that looks great and you want to use it, but aren't sure if you qualify, then do so at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter