Bear in MK? Is this real?

Alligators in Seven Seas Lagoon rarely attack people, until one did. And now there are fences on all beaches. How long until fences go up along running trails? Chain link, 7ft tall, to keep nature away from people. Will it take the loss of another small child, or will Disney be more proactive this time around?

Honestly, that would be terrible. The wildlife wouldn't be able to move about as freely (though fences won't stop a lot of creatures). Remember that WDW was built in the wilderness - that's the whole point of Fort Wilderness. Wildlife exists - people just need to be mindful of that and respectful to the animals. I certainly wouldn't worry about the miniscule chnace that a black bear could attack a jogger.

Last edited:
Black bears rarely attack people. You likely would have been totall fine unless you cornered a bear or stumbled upon it's cubs. It would most likely have avoided you completely.
I was jogging really early, like barely daylight. While I enjoyed the quiet, I wanted to avoid startling the bear if it was around. Yes, it probably would have been fine but HAD it ended badly, then folks would be singing the tune of "Why was that crazy woman jogging when there was a bear in the area?" The payoff was not worth the risk. Not like I wasn't doing enough walking in the parks anyway.

I was jogging really early, like barely daylight. While I enjoyed the quiet, I wanted to avoid startling the bear if it was around. Yes, it probably would have been fine but HAD it ended badly, then folks would be singing the tune of "Why was that crazy woman jogging when there was a bear in the area?" The payoff was not worth the risk. Not like I wasn't doing enough walking in the parks anyway.
You were wise. Nothing wrong with your decision.

The rumor is they are trying to make Country Bear morre realistic. LOL

About 17 years ago, staying in the Ft. Wilderness Cabins, and renting a golf cart, they used to allow the carts down the jogging/bike path from Settlement to Wilderness Lodge - we'd often cart to the end of the path and walk over to Wilderness Lodge for the restaurants. On one trip, we came upon a black bear walking right up that bike path. It was just out foraging, and once it saw the cart coming, it ran off into the woods.

It's very common to find deer, raccoon, opossum, armadillos, and the occasional wild turkeys, along that path through the woods, and throughout Disney World's forested areas. Bears are a much less common sighting - and I've heard from a friend that works on property that they occasionally see wild boar along the fringes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter