Bear in MK? Is this real?

To add, if it is Yogi Bear stealing picnic baskets at the Magic Kingdom, hopefully Ranger Smith will put an end to it and take Yogi Bear back to Jellystone Park.

Poor bear. He finally got away from the daily grind for a nice vacation at WDW...and they just up and take him back to some wretched spot out in the wilderness.
Individual Lightning Lane Pass to Ocala National Forest works. Who would have guessed the line meant climbing trees?

I know that WDW has lots of wooded areas, but are there many bears there, or might this one have wandered in from quite a ways away?

I know that WDW has lots of wooded areas, but are there many bears there, or might this one have wandered in from quite a ways away?
There's been at least a couple wandering around Tampa over the past couple of months. They're definitely around.

There's been at least a couple wandering around Tampa over the past couple of months. They're definitely around.
Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of bears in Florida! I was just wondering how common they are within WDW.

p.s. California used to have grizzlies, like the one on our flag and in my photo of Grizzly Peak at DCA. Now, like Florida, we only have black bears.

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of bears in Florida! I was just wondering how common they are within WDW.
We don't hear anything but Disney doesn't advertise. I know they've been moving down though so it's going to be a thing before long. Not WDW but I'm in Polk County, which is just west of Disney. There was a panther hit by a car a few months ago in Southern Polk. Unusual only in nobody knew they were this far north. Big Cyprus sanctuary is down south in Collier County, (Naples) where the panthers are at. That borders the everglades. Anyway, too much info, but my point is the bigger predators are moving around and filling in the empty spaces. My daughter was surprised about the bear and I told her to check the property with the satellite view on Google maps. Look at all the green space in and around Disney property.
Ok, I'm really done now! 😆

Several years ago when we were staying in the Ft Wilderness cabins there was a cautionary posting at the pool that a bear had been sited in the area. I remember it because I'd been doing a daily early morning jog to and from Wilderness Lodge. I decided that was no longer beneficial to my health.

Several years ago when we were staying in the Ft Wilderness cabins there was a cautionary posting at the pool that a bear had been sited in the area. I remember it because I'd been doing a daily early morning jog to and from Wilderness Lodge. I decided that was no longer beneficial to my health.

Black bears rarely attack people. You likely would have been totally fine unless you cornered a bear or stumbled upon it's cubs. It would most likely have avoided you completely.

Last edited:
Black bears rarely attack people. You likely would have been totally fine unless you cornered a bear or stumbled upon it's cubs. It would most likely have avoided you completely.
Alligators in Seven Seas Lagoon rarely attack people, until one did. And now there are fences on all beaches. How long until fences go up along running trails? Chain link, 7ft tall, to keep nature away from people. Will it take the loss of another small child, or will Disney be more proactive this time around?

Alligators in Seven Seas Lagoon rarely attack people, until one did. And now there are fences on all beaches. How long until fences go up along running trails? Chain link, 7ft tall, to keep nature away from people. Will it take the loss of another small child, or will Disney be more proactive this time around?
Actually, the fences and rip-rap along the beaches are to keep the people away from the water. That stuff doesn't stop alligators. They can climb fences.
Back when the child was taken off the beach I believed then and still do that Disney failed in their obligation to warn people that everything on property isn't animatronic. They should have had signs up for a long time before the alligator incident warning that there's dangerous wildlife on the property. Not to scare, but to educate. Locals know you don't hang out around the shoreline at dusk or dawn as that's when alligators primarily feed. (They don't carry watches that I know of and can feed anytime they're hungry but dusk and dawn is the primary). People not from around here just don't know any better. There's also a mindset once you hit the property line that you're in Disney now and nothing bad can happen. All I can say is they have taken some steps to keep the people and wildlife a safe distance away from each other.
Now if we can just keep the idiot tourists from playing with the bison in Yellowstone and other western parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter