Bad news about DD's car...

I would shop around for a better price. A catalytic converter for that car should not cost $2,500. It isn't cheap, but just price shopping, the part is about $1,500. I can not imagine it taking $1,000 labor to put it on.
To the big question, yes fix it.

You are correct. I am a General Manager at a Honda dealership; And while we may be a bit more than your local Billy Bob or Sally Jane garage (and there are good reasons for that), the cost should be nowhere near $2,500. It should not exceed $1,500 including the parts and the labor. At least where I am in NE Ohio.

( I should add, integrity is a big part of pricing. Some dealerships as well as the local yocal garages may lack in this area. Fortunately, most are upright)

We are in Maine, and although we have state inspections we don't have emission testing. The car has been making an incredibly loud noise when we drive it, and our mechanic just looked at it and said it needs a new catalytic converter.
Get a second opinion/estimate . We took our truck into a place in Lewiston and his assessment was completely off from what the local garage said. Getting another opinion saved us over $1,000. People are stealing catalytic converters. Apparently there is a bit of titanium inside. I can’t imagine it’s worth much but the police at the mall mentioned it’s really common in Hondas! Super. I drive a CRV.

We needed a new CC on our VW Tiguan. We paid it because we aren't in a position to purchase a used car outright right now or finance a new one (see thread on budget board: why do people take on so much debt...be prepared to be judged).

Get a second opinion/estimate . We took our truck into a place in Lewiston and his assessment was completely off from what the local garage said. Getting another opinion saved us over $1,000. People are stealing catalytic converters. Apparently there is a bit of titanium inside. I can’t imagine it’s worth much but the police at the mall mentioned it’s really common in Hondas! Super. I drive a CRV.
It's actually palladium and usually some other extremely rare metals like platinum or rhodium. These are some of the rarest and most expensive metals in the world.

Police here say thieves get about $150 from metal recycling centers for the typical catalytic converter. So it is very profitable for 2 minutes of criminal work.

DD drives a 2009 Honda Fit with about 130K miles on it. We just learned it needs a new catalytic converter, to the tune of $2500. OUCH. We have no idea if this is a good investment or not. I mean... it's a Honda, shouldn't she get about another 50K-100K miles out of it? Or is that a pipe dream? Used cars are $$$... and new are even more expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, advice? TIA
You could unless someone hits her. I had an 09 Honda odyssey and was hit. Wasnt anything serious but the body shop couldn't find a door. You get no compensation for those major maintenance items

Police here say thieves get about $150 from metal recycling centers for the typical catalytic converter. So it is very profitable for 2 minutes of criminal work.
My husband replaced his catalytic converter in his old Honda and I don't remember how much he got at the metal recycling place, but it was a nice chunk of change.

In Ohio, where I live, it's illegal for a salvage yard or metal recycling center from buying catalytic converters without proof of ownership. Unfortunately, there are many yards that will buy them regardless and it is very profitable for these criminals.

DD drives a 2009 Honda Fit with about 130K miles on it. We just learned it needs a new catalytic converter, to the tune of $2500. OUCH. We have no idea if this is a good investment or not. I mean... it's a Honda, shouldn't she get about another 50K-100K miles out of it? Or is that a pipe dream? Used cars are $$$... and new are even more expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, advice? TIA
I think you made the right call in fixing the car. We have consistently purchased Honda's, Toyota's and Subaru's over the years and have been extremely happy with them. None of them have had any major issues such as engines, transmissions or anything that was expensive to repair. We just donated our 1996 Honda Accord with 230,000+ miles that had relatively minor issues.

OP here. They looked at used cars but there isn't anything in the area that is affordable, and loan rates are up around 8%. Heck the dealerships are asking $10K for un-inspected, tow-off-the-lot cars. We all live together; the 4 of us (and a 7year old) share the 3 cars we have. We need the 3rd car just so everyone can get to work, etc. DD/SIL are hoping to move out within the year and will need to get a second car then; mortgage/lease and two car loans was just too daunting to consider (especially as tey are still paying school loans, too). We are going to help with the cost (it's on my credit card but we'll pay it off when the payment is due so interest free, we're paying 1/4, they'll pay me interest-free monthly on the balance). It just seems crazy that there are so few options for used vehicles. Whatever happened to the "$100 Special?"

Is the 2009 Fit even worth $2500 now?

I usually get rid of cars when the annual maintenance/repair costs exceed the car’s value.

If money is an issue, you’re unlikely to find anything reliable for that price, so it might be worth it to pay for the repairs.

If the car has been mechanically sound up until this point, I would probably pay for the emissions/exhaust work. If you have been having any mechanical issues though I would probably look at replacing the car.

It just seems crazy that there are so few options for used vehicles.
The used car market is still upside down. It's not as bad as it was during the height of the pandemic but it's still flopped where used cars are commanding a higher price tag than before.

My husband's 2010 Mazda 3 was totaled out in August and we were given $6K (then minus our $500 deductible) for something like I believe 160,000+ miles on it. Under normal market conditions that is maybe 2 or 3 grand more than expected.

I would get a second opinion. Is this something that you could install yourself? Or a local community college with an automotive program? Sometimes they will install for just the cost of parts, as students are working on skills and certifications.

Cars are definitely pricer these days, nor do they seem to last as long as they once did. Before investing more money, I would identify what your cut-off point is for continuing to invest in a car with 130k miles. While it might not seem like a lot of mileage, more things can potentially start needing replacement. We replaced DD#1s car which had 70k miles (7 years old) due to repeated issues. It was smarter for us to replace her car then to keep investing into it.

Do it if everything else is sound. Even if she only gets another year out of it, it is well worth it.

The used car market is still upside down. It's not as bad as it was during the height of the pandemic but it's still flopped where used cars are commanding a higher price tag than before.

My husband's 2010 Mazda 3 was totaled out in August and we were given $6K (then minus our $500 deductible) for something like I believe 160,000+ miles on it. Under normal market conditions that is maybe 2 or 3 grand more than expected.
This! DD#1 car was starting to go downhill. She had a 7yo fiat with ~70k miles, and we got ~$8k for it two years ago. Not bad for a car that we paid $13k for new! [At the time of purchase in 2015 we got a HUGE discount for a car that had been on the lot a year!!!!]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter