• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Bad news about DD's car...

I finally saw the estimate today. The catalytic converter is just under $1500. Turns out there's also an oxygen sensor that needs replacing, and a couple of exhaust pipes, as well as gaskets and such. Throw in 3 hours of labor, and tax, and... $2400.
Would it be tacky to ask for the dead catalytic converter, so we can sell it to a metals place and get some money back?

I finally saw the estimate today. The catalytic converter is just under $1500. Turns out there's also an oxygen sensor that needs replacing, and a couple of exhaust pipes, as well as gaskets and such. Throw in 3 hours of labor, and tax, and... $2400.
Would it be tacky to ask for the dead catalytic converter, so we can sell it to a metals place and get some money back?
I would think not. Do you know where to sell it?

I wonder if the repair shop makes money off of it . They might say no.

Being on the commercial side of sales and service on delivery trucks you have every right to ask for the bad parts. You own the car and everything associated with it, running or not. Why would they want to keep the old parts other to profit from them by selling them to a recycle outfit.

Yeah - I would. Not sure if one that old is worth it or not - I am no expert.

It may also be that they are figuring that in with the estimate and expecting to keep the parts.

Worst they can say is no - it is yours and if it has any value they will sell it.
It possible when you ask they may offer you a small amount knowing they can get more for it - may be worth that if they do just so you don't have to deal with it.

Just to state in general - I hate cars and I hate dealing with mechanics, but once you find a good one stick with them and hope they stick around. Luckily after many years of getting work done on my 2005 Explorer I finally found a good one.

In Ohio, where I live, it's illegal for a salvage yard or metal recycling center from buying catalytic converters without proof of ownership. Unfortunately, there are many yards that will buy them regardless and it is very profitable for these criminals.
There are a lot of disreputable places here too. The manhole covers and the gas line caps are missing all over the place. Pretty sure when someone brings a heavy metal disc stamped City of Boston on it the junkyard is going to know it’s not a family heirloom. They simply don’t care.

Ask for it back. It’s your car so it’s your parts! My brother in law is a mechanic. He always has me ask for my parts. He likes to be sure the parts are really as bad as they say.

Their repair price might already include them reselling the catalytic converter to a recycler for the precious metals, I doubt they would just toss it in the trash. Many states have laws dealing with how junkyards handle these due to theft issues. Your state may/may not allow for private parties to resell them as scrap.

In Ohio, where I live, it's illegal for a salvage yard or metal recycling center from buying catalytic converters without proof of ownership. Unfortunately, there are many yards that will buy them regardless and it is very profitable for these criminals.
This is such a rampant issue here; there have been several pieces of legislation passed over the last couple of years to deal with it, mostly focused on a major crack-down on the buyers. :( If you're in an exposed parking area and your car is noisy when you start it, you know in an instant what the problem is. It's never happened to us, but today could be the day. Funny thing though, I've never once heard tell of anybody who had their catalytic converter just "go" and need to be repaired or replaced. I had no clue it was such an expensive component. Bad luck for @leebee 's daughter, I guess.

This is such a rampant issue here; there have been several pieces of legislation passed over the last couple of years to deal with it, mostly focused on a major crack-down on the buyers. :( If you're in an exposed parking area and your car is noisy when you start it, you know in an instant what the problem is. It's never happened to us, but today could be the day. Funny thing though, I've never once heard tell of anybody who had their catalytic converter just "go" and need to be repaired or replaced. I had no clue it was such an expensive component. Bad luck for @leebee 's daughter, I guess.
Yeah - that is why they are stolen - "Catalytic converters can be expensive because they need to be made from a mixture of precious metals. Platinum, palladium, and rhodium are some of the main precious metals required to make a catalytic converter."

As I understand it though they loose those precious metals over time.

Unfortunately I've seen it happen many times. I myself have never been a victim, but as a general manager at an auto dealership we have been victimized several times where thieves jack up the car and quickly cut the cats off the car. In less than 2 minutes the car is up, converters cut off, and off these criminals go. Most of the time the cars are badly damaged as well.

Not tacky, but there may very well be a "core" charge that the mechanic paid on the new part that they will get back when they return the old converter to the parts house. So your mechanic could ask you to reimburse him for that charge if you want the part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter