Bad news about DD's car...

leebee

DIS Veteran
DD drives a 2009 Honda Fit with about 130K miles on it. We just learned it needs a new catalytic converter, to the tune of $2500. OUCH. We have no idea if this is a good investment or not. I mean... it's a Honda, shouldn't she get about another 50K-100K miles out of it? Or is that a pipe dream? Used cars are $$$... and new are even more expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, advice? TIA

A couple of questions.

Is the car driven in a state where emission testing and passing is required?
What are the symptoms that indicate it's a catalytic converter and not a faulty oxygen sensor(s)?
Did you see the error code from the plug-in unit? And if so, did you cross-check it online to confirm it is a catalytic converter? I would think you can take it to AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc. and get them to give you the error code (presuming there is one).

We are in Maine, and although we have state inspections we don't have emission testing. The car has been making an incredibly loud noise when we drive it, and our mechanic just looked at it and said it needs a new catalytic converter.

Don't know a thing about cars, but you won't find anything decent for $2500. That's the math we use every time our second car needs repair. Our DD was driving a Yukon that was at least 15 years old and the vehicle needed more than 3k in repairs. We ended up giving her one of our cars and buying a new one for us. That made sense for us because her car was a gas hog and didn't have any of the safety features our car had.

Good luck with the Honda, they do have a great reputation for longevity.

We are in Maine, and although we have state inspections we don't have emission testing. The car has been making an incredibly loud noise when we drive it, and our mechanic just looked at it and said it needs a new catalytic converter.
So in my youth many years ago, we could remove the catalytic converter and use standard exhaust pipe to reconnect. Obviously, that shouldn't be an option now with all the emission sensors, etc.

I would ask the mechanic if he/she plugged in the OBD2 scanner and if it showed an error code. And what was the code if it did report it back.

If it’s something that can be fixed, we fix it. With the price of new and used cars, $2500 is nothing if it buys you an extra year or two on the car.

Now, if it’s an ongoing issue, or the car has safety issues that can’t be resolved, or other multiple problems, I’d get rid of it.

If you have a mechanic friend or can get a second opinion, I would start there. A whole new catalytic converter might not be necessary if the issue is an exhaust leak. But if it is, I would probably just pay the $2500. The car is worth more than that.

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, with just under 90,000 miles. Unless the repair is astronomically expensive, I will keep getting it fixed, and would spend another $2500 on it. I think jimmymc's advice about a second opinion is a good one if you have a way to do that.

We are currently in this situation with a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. It has 165,000 miles and it has the check engine light on again. I just spent 600 in December for new sensors and other repairs. Everyone keeps saying it will make it to 200,000 miles but I just am done spending money on it. We are getting a newer used car. If my mechanic could guarantee that it would last another 8 months I might spend the $$ but there is no guarantee and who knows what else will break. My daughter is the primary driver and I won't let her drive it anywhere outside of the city so we need to look at Used cars. She is looking at a Honda Fit.

I like the idea of a second opinion.

How old is your DD? If out of college, then, IMO, it's on her to make the decision.

DS's car (2006 Sonata 250k miles, hand me down when I replaced mine) REALLY should probably be replaced. Check Engine light is on (pretty sure it's also the catalytic converter), I think air bags, and the shocks or struts need replaced. We just don't have the funds for it. He's still just a sophomore in college, I'm really hoping the car can last another 2 1/2 years.

I am a big proponent of second opinions. Once a repair place told me I needed new shocks and struts. I asked someone else who said I did not. I kept that car for many years and many miles afterwards, and never replaced the shocks or struts.

Of course your situation is different, as you acknowledge there is some issue with the vehicle. Hope you get some better news about it.

It’s a tough call deciding when to throw in the towel. That same car I referenced above started having something happen every other month or so. Nothing major, but it did eventually lead to me deciding to move on. At that point the car was over ten years old and had 174,000 miles, and it was built in the early 80’s, so I felt that was a decent life at that time. And by then I was commuting a long distance each day, which influenced my decision too.

Was the catalytic converter stolen? This is a big problem in my area, and it happened to me several years ago. I was parked at work (not a nice area) and I came out to drive home and my truck was making a very loud noise. It turned out that somebody had stolen my catalytic converter. It is easily accessible on many card and can be sawed off in a matter of seconds. Thieves steal them because they contain precious metals, so a thief can sell them and make a little money (likely to buy drugs). My truck was only 3 years old when this happened, so we paid to get it fixed, which was about $2500. If your DD’s car is still in good condition otherwise, I would definitely pay for the repair.

I would shop around for a better price. A catalytic converter for that car should not cost $2,500. It isn't cheap, but just price shopping, the part is about $1,500. I can not imagine it taking $1,000 labor to put it on.
To the big question, yes fix it.

I would shop around for a better price. A catalytic converter for that car should not cost $2,500. It isn't cheap, but just price shopping, the part is about $1,500. I can not imagine it taking $1,000 labor to put it on.
To the big question, yes fix it.
Yep quick check of auto zone have them starting at $469 up to $1135 (if you live in California)

I would get a second opinion. Loud exhaust noise could simply be rusted exhaust pipes which can be replaced. I believe that catyalytic converters are made from stainless steel and likely outlast the rest of the exhaust system. Some repair shops are more reputable than others so it is worth getting a second opinion particularly if you don't have any history with the place telling you an expensive repair is needed. I personally think the car dealer is more likely to be reputable then some random garage in your area. Dealers are held accountable by the manufacturer they represent and seem more likely to reputable. If a local garage is providing dubious estimates, not sure they would have the same level of accountability.

Last edited:
If you got the estimate from the Honda dealer, try your local Joe's garage and see if they can help out out.

DD drives a 2009 Honda Fit with about 130K miles on it. We just learned it needs a new catalytic converter, to the tune of $2500. OUCH. We have no idea if this is a good investment or not. I mean... it's a Honda, shouldn't she get about another 50K-100K miles out of it? Or is that a pipe dream? Used cars are $$$... and new are even more expensive. Any ideas, suggestions, advice? TIA
Wow ...I've heard of them being stolen off cars, but never had a car require a new one. And I have 2-cars right now with 150,000+ on them. It's a Honda and 130,000 is fairly low mileage ...I'd say shop around for a better price, but I think it's worth the investment at $2500

DD/SIL have decided they'll repair the car. She has just finished grad school- they have lived with us while she was in school but they'll be moving by the end of the summer, and when they do move, they'll need a second car. They are hesitant to take on rent ($2000 in this area, sometimes without utilities, for a 2br/1ba) and TWO car loans. Honda wants $3200 for the repair, so we'll take it to the shop we always do business with. DH went with SIL to pick it up today and the mechanic put the car up on the lift so they could see the converter. DH says it's in bad shape, and something about the baffles being rusted out? I don't know, but we live in a "winter" state that uses a lot of salt on the roads, and the Fit is SO low/close to the ground, that I"m not surprised.

Wow ...I've heard of them being stolen off cars, but never had a car require a new one. And I have 2-cars right now with 150,000+ on them. It's a Honda and 130,000 is fairly low mileage ...I'd say shop around for a better price, but I think it's worth the investment at $2500
Oh yeah, they can wear out, but that might only get caught in states where you have to have a smog check. But OP says it was making a noise, I suspect a rattle. It may be functioning perfecting as far as cleaning the exhaust up, but something broke off inside the converter. We had a Suburban for 31 years and a Mountaineer for 21 years that never needed them replaced. But my mom had to replace the catalytic converters on her Pinto but it was 25 years old at the time. It had two as it had a V-6 engine, but as I recall it was less than $500 dollars. In her case, they wore out and it would not pass a smog check.

Reactions: GAN
For years, we took our van to the dealer for inspections and whatever. After about 18 years, we needed a new radiator. Dealer said it would cost X amount (about 2 grand )and the car isn't worth . We took it to an "old fashion" repair guy our son took his car too. He did for about 1/2 the cost and the car is still running 12 years later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter