Aussies beat the heat and escape to a Winter Wonderland! 01/06 COMPLETE!

:thumbsup2 I must say those fireworks looked awesome:woohoo:
I would even consider going to Vegas on New Years to see that:)

We went to the outlet malls everywhere we went and Vegas was the cheapest we certainly left the Nike and Oshkosh store with less cash in our pockets:rotfl:
We brought electrical things home with us and just use an adapter and have had no problems with any of it!

That's good to know about the adaptor for next time (I still want my Kitchen Aid and preferably not for 800 bucks!) Is it just like a travel adaptor that someone from the US would use to operate their hairdryer etc. over here?

Love your Vegas shots and that was a very quick drive up the PCH. Still....you got to the main bits.

I've drive Route 66 between Flagstaff and Needles. It is a reasonable drive and there are bits that I found sad because it just seemed so run down. I'd love to do it again...and Kingman and Oatman is where I consider the best experiences of the drive to be. Both towns were great, too. If you do the drive, there was a town....I can't remember where....might be Seligman or one of the other smaller stops....that offers a 4-wheel drive out to the Colorado River i.e., the base of the Grand Canyon without the need for donkeys! I really wanted to do that tour but we didn't have time to do it on that trip.

Thanks for the advice, I've heard other people enjoyed stopping in Kingman as well. DF would love doing the 4WD! We have an old Nissan Patrol that he loves taking off road here.

Awesome update. The Vegas shots actually made me want to go back to see some things I missed.

The coastline you drove along looks beautiful, and the seals are adorable.

Thanks :goodvibes You'll see how big the elephant seals really are in my next post because there's a picture of me standing next to a statue of one. I can't believe idiotic people approach them in the wild (sadly we saw it happen, which is just stupid when you consider how good the view is from the safety of the lookout) they are massive and could probably do a bit of damage!

Wow, just finished reading. Great photos and great report! Just wondering how you and the car coped with the snow? Did you need to use chains?!?!? We will be travelling through Montana right about when the snow should start arriving so I am a bit worried about driving in the snow!

We didn't use chains because as DVCAustralia mentions the car was fitted with snow tyres. I didn't actually realise that at the time though and started freaking out about it until somebody told us (I think I've watched too much Ice Road Truckers!) Our little rental car was great, it held the road really well (except a few black icy patches, but nothing scary)

We spoke to a taxi driver in Buffalo about it later on in our trip, as we were driving through a snow storm, and he kind of laughed and said he'd lived in those conditions for 40 years and that nobody really uses chains; they just fit the heavy duty snow tyres in winter. So I'm still a bit confused about the whole thing to be honest!

Generally the US and Canada simply have proper 'snow' tyres on their vehicles (the rental depot should have them on all their cars but it is worth checking). As long as you have these driving with snow or even on snow should be fine (although as the navigator, whilst I have a front seat view I do not have to actually do the drining). However California seems to insist on chains, probably because of the dominance of cars that would never venture into areas prone to snow (just like vehicles in Australia:rotfl:).

Lulu83, I appreciate you posting the trip report and look forward to more.

Thanks for reading! I'll have the next update ready to go very soon.

Day Nine – San Francisco

Before we left for our trip I assumed that I would love San Francisco and it would be one of my favourite places we would visit. Everybody else I know that has visited San Fran has loved it and I’ve grown up hearing about what a great city it is. So I was really surprised that I didn’t love it! I definitely had a good time and enjoyed myself and thought it was a beautiful city; I just didn’t fall in love with the place. We made a last minute decision before we left to swap one of our San Fran days to spend more time in Seattle, because I had a gut feeling we’d want more time there, and I was glad we ended up doing this.

I think the reason for this is the homeless epidemic that the city seems to have. I’m not uncomfortable about homelessness or people asking me for money etc. but I just found it heartbreaking to see so many obviously unwell, drug affected and/or mentally ill people doing it so tough and with little prospect of improving their situations. I think this bothers me so much because I work predominantly in mental health and typically with very low socio-economic clients back home, so I found it very hard to just ignore it since my instinct is to go into therapeutic mode.

Knowing my clients and the sad reality of what they are likely to do with any money handed directly to them, DF and I didn’t give money to any individuals, but made a donation to a local soup kitchen, where we knew the money would be spent actually helping people, which made us feel a little better. I know this is a complex issue and I’m not accusing the city of being neglectful or anything like that; with the size of the US compared to Australia this is bound to be a much bigger issue over there, I just found the situation really sad... But anyway, it didn’t stop us from enjoying our time in SF!

DF and I started the morning with a visit to Fisherman’s Wharf, which we were able to walk to due to the great location of our hotel.

IMG_1106.jpg

We had a laugh at all the people trying to eat clam chowder in bread bowls and had breakfast at the sourdough bakery, which smelt divine.

IMG_1112.jpg

Scrambled eggs in a bread basket with breakfast potatoes, and French toast

After that we tried to buy tickets for the Alcatraz tour (which we should have done in advance since it was sold out!) and had a wander over to Pier 39 to visit the locals.

IMG_1113.jpg

Sadly this was the closest we got to “The Rock”

IMG_1114.jpg

Enjoying the morning sun..

We had initially planned on joining one of the many bus tours to visit the main attractions of San Fran but I wasn’t feeling particularly enamoured with the city or in the mood at this stage so we decided to explore on our own. The downside of this is that we did miss out on seeing some of the main attractions (e.g. Union Square), but we also got to have a unique experience that I hadn’t heard about before. When we were at Pier 39 we picked up a brochure for the “marine mammal sanctuary” which is a hospital for injured sea life that is open to the public and free to visit. This sounded exactly like the thing to cheer us up so we walked back to the hotel for the car and made our way over to the sanctuary.

We got to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge on the way, and stopped at the observation platforms on each side to enjoy the view.

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Then we went through a tunnel and came out on the other side of town. It was like a whole different city, as though we were out in the country! Such a contrast to the bustling city on the other side.

IMG_1155.jpg

Friendly deer outside the sanctuary

We loved the sanctuary and found it very heart warming. There were only a few patients on the day of our visit, but they were expecting more soon because many of the elephant seal pups we’d seen only days before would be stranded when their mothers went back to sea and they weren’t strong enough to make the journey with them.

IMG_1158.jpg

Statue of an elephant seal, those guys are big!

IMG_1159.jpg

Patients

Most of the patients we saw were seals, and some of their stories were very sad, including one little guy who had been blinded after being shot in the head with an arrow. The sanctuary has a great gift shop and you can also make a donation or purchase an audio tour.

After we finished at the sanctuary we noticed a beach, which was practically deserted, and spent some time here enjoying the peace and quiet (again finding it very hard to believe we were only minutes away from San Fran!)

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Feeling refreshed we then headed back to San Fran and decided rather than joining a bus tour we would make the most of our rental car and take our own tour of the main attractions. Our first stop was the Botanical Gardens. This place is huge! We spent quite a while walking around, and I think we could have easily spent a lot longer! The gardens are really lovely.

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Next we drove to Alamo Square to see the famous Painted Ladies, which were beautiful, and reminded me of so many TV shows and movies!

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Our next stop was Lombard St; “the world’s crookedest street”. As much as I felt sorry for the residents (this place was packed!) we couldn’t resist driving down ourselves. The streets of San Fran are amazing; I was genuinely a bit scared at times by how steep they were! The residents are so lucky to have such great views.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

The street was too steep for a sidewalk, so it had stairs instead

We also saw one of the famous trolley cars here.

IMG_1202.jpg

By this time we’d worked up quite an appetite and the sun was starting to set. We drove back to the hotel to shower and change then decided to have dinner in Chinatown, which was within walking distance once again.

I can’t remember the name of the place we had dinner, but it was delicious. Chinatown had a great feel about it, and reminded me a lot of Singapore. We passed a lot of really nice restaurants on the way to dinner, including some great Italian places, but we were in the mood for Chinese so kept going. I remember reading that San Fran has one of the highest restaurants per head of capita ratio, and I can definitely see why now!

Sadly we were too full for sundaes at Ghiradellis tonight and headed straight back to the hotel after having a wander around Chinatown. On the way back I noticed a nice patisserie that I decided we should have breakfast at the next day.

Next up: Seattle

We didn't see the Painted Ladies or Lombard street when we were in San Fran which I was disappointed about. It's a shame you missed Alcatraz, it was the highlight of San Fran for our family, amazing place.

Another great update.

The thing about San Francisco is that there are so many things to do that just slightly off-the-beaten track. Glad you found one of them and I think I'm going to have to try to get out to the animal shelter next time I'm there. It's definitely something I haven't done before. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

I think your TR is great, it's great to know that I'm not the only one who goes into "extra" detail on things! :rolleyes1

When we went on our last big holiday in 2009, I spent about an hour every night writing one giant email to everybody at home! Glad that I did, because I would have forgotten so much if I hadn't have written it all down like that!

It's a shame that you weren't crazy about San Francisco - but maybe it's because you didn't get to do what I did when I first went there in 1978 (when I was 9 years old).................I met THE FONZ in a Chinese restaurant!!!!! Yes, I understand your envy, it was the highlight of our holiday!! (Not for my mum though, hers was 4 days later in Hawaii when we swam in the pool with Barry Manilow!!!) That holiday was definitely "cool", two thumbs up!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Loving your TR, great detail! :goodvibes We did the drive up the PCH in April and stayed 2 nights at San Simeon so we could visit Hearst Castle ... I definitely recommend including it on your itinerary if you ever get back that way. We loved seeing the Elephant Seals too, we saw them moulting which was very interesting. I do love San Francisco, but probably more because we always stay with friends and they take us off the beaten track a little. Looking forward to hearing more. :thumbsup2

I just wanted to jump in and say I read your report so far from start to now. Great job! I love all the details so keep them coming!!

Day Nine – San Francisco

Before we left for our trip I assumed that I would love San Francisco and it would be one of my favourite places we would visit. Everybody else I know that has visited San Fran has loved it and I’ve grown up hearing about what a great city it is. So I was really surprised that I didn’t love it! I definitely had a good time and enjoyed myself and thought it was a beautiful city; I just didn’t fall in love with the place. We made a last minute decision before we left to swap one of our San Fran days to spend more time in Seattle, because I had a gut feeling we’d want more time there, and I was glad we ended up doing this.

I think the reason for this is the homeless epidemic that the city seems to have. I’m not uncomfortable about homelessness or people asking me for money etc. but I just found it heartbreaking to see so many obviously unwell, drug affected and/or mentally ill people doing it so tough and with little prospect of improving their situations. I think this bothers me so much because I work predominantly in mental health and typically with very low socio-economic clients back home, so I found it very hard to just ignore it since my instinct is to go into therapeutic mode.

Next up: Seattle

I was interested to hear this because this is exactly how i felt when i visited in 1995, actually I admit I found it uncomfortable as we just don't see this at home. I am taking my family to San francisco after Christmas and I am really hoping I like it better this time!

We didn't see the Painted Ladies or Lombard street when we were in San Fran which I was disappointed about. It's a shame you missed Alcatraz, it was the highlight of San Fran for our family, amazing place.

Another great update.

Thanks! I was sad about Alcatraz too, it might be enough to sway me to give SF a second chance.. I guess it served us right for not being organised and assuming we could get tickets on the day!

The thing about San Francisco is that there are so many things to do that just slightly off-the-beaten track. Glad you found one of them and I think I'm going to have to try to get out to the animal shelter next time I'm there. It's definitely something I haven't done before. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I probably should give SF a second chance, we had very little time there and really didn't do much proper planning. There must be a reason why everybody loves it. I would definitely recommend the marine sanctuary, I was so inspired afterwards I wanted to volunteer there too (except the whole living on another continent thing would have made that a bit tricky..)

I think your TR is great, it's great to know that I'm not the only one who goes into "extra" detail on things! :rolleyes1

When we went on our last big holiday in 2009, I spent about an hour every night writing one giant email to everybody at home! Glad that I did, because I would have forgotten so much if I hadn't have written it all down like that!

It's a shame that you weren't crazy about San Francisco - but maybe it's because you didn't get to do what I did when I first went there in 1978 (when I was 9 years old).................I met THE FONZ in a Chinese restaurant!!!!! Yes, I understand your envy, it was the highlight of our holiday!! (Not for my mum though, hers was 4 days later in Hawaii when we swam in the pool with Barry Manilow!!!) That holiday was definitely "cool", two thumbs up!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm honestly trying to keep things fairly short, you'd hate to see my "long version"! ;) I did the same thing with emails to family and it's great now I can look back and remember all the little details I would have otherwise forgotten.

That is very exciting about The Fonz! I am extremely easily star struck so would have been very impressed and probably rendered speechless (e.g. once I saw a Perth Glory soccer player in a supermarket and stalked, I mean observed, him from a distance for about 15 minutes as if he was some kind of international superstar. I can't even remember his name but my sister has never let me live it down..) Did you actually speak to the great man? I have to admit I probably wouldn't have recognised Barry Manilow (unless maybe he was singing at the time?) but I'm sure my Mum would have been equally excited.

Loving your TR, great detail! :goodvibes We did the drive up the PCH in April and stayed 2 nights at San Simeon so we could visit Hearst Castle ... I definitely recommend including it on your itinerary if you ever get back that way. We loved seeing the Elephant Seals too, we saw them moulting which was very interesting. I do love San Francisco, but probably more because we always stay with friends and they take us off the beaten track a little. Looking forward to hearing more. :thumbsup2

Thank you! :goodvibes Hearst Castle did look pretty cool, and it was interesting that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere, made it more dramatic! I bet the views over the ocean from up there were pretty amazing.

Going off the beaten track definitely sounds like the way to go in San Francisco, I'll make sure to do some more research next time.

I just wanted to jump in and say I read your report so far from start to now. Great job! I love all the details so keep them coming!!

Thank you! And the details won't be a problem believe me :lmao: (unless I come across a day that I forgot what we did!)

I was interested to hear this because this is exactly how i felt when i visited in 1995, actually I admit I found it uncomfortable as we just don't see this at home. I am taking my family to San francisco after Christmas and I am really hoping I like it better this time!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels this way, I feel almost a bit stuck up talking to people about it, but it's really only because I feel so sad for the people that it bothers me. Hopefully you will have a nicer experience this time, and at least you are prepared I guess! A sundae from Ghiradelli's square should be just the thing if you need a little cheering up though :thumbsup2

Days Ten, Eleven and Twelve – Seattle

On our last morning in SF we had a tasty breakfast at the patisserie we’d spotted the night before, I had a chocolate croissant and coffee, which was the perfect start to the day.

After breakfast we drove to the airport to drop off our much loved rental car and catch our flight to Seattle. We had originally considered driving, but it would have added at least 2 days to our trip, whereas it’s a short flight, and was probably cheaper to fly in the end as well..

By the end of our trip we became old hands at the US domestic airport security routine, but found it a bit confusing this first time (taking our shoes, scarves and belts off etc.). We had an uneventful flight and landed in Seattle around mid-afternoon.

Our hotel in Seattle was in the historic Pioneer Square district and we were fortunate enough to have our hotel room upgraded to a pretty big suite.

IMG_1211.jpg

We walked everywhere in Seattle, which worked out well for us, but those not so enthusiastic about long walks might want to look at other options, because it ended up being quite a long way to the Space Needle for example. We bought our first City Pass in Seattle (book of tickets to several local attractions at a discount price). We didn’t end up making it to the zoo, but we still saved overall, and it was great not having to line up everywhere.

We experienced the stereotypical Seattle weather during our stay and it was overcast the whole time, as below:

IMG_1214.jpg

It didn’t rain as heavily as we were expecting though and we rarely got too wet when we were out walking, but we did take an umbrella everywhere. I don’t remember it being freezing cold, probably because of the cloud cover, although I did wear my down jacket most of the time we were outdoors.

We took it pretty easy on our first evening; we had a wander around the Pioneer Square district, which has some really lovely shops and restaurants. We also discovered the “underground city”. In the 1800s a fire destroyed a large part of the city, and the new city was rebuilt above the old one, so there are lots of cool tunnels to explore now. If we go back to Seattle I would love to do a tour and explore more. We had sandwiches at a place called Jimmy Johns for dinner, which we chose because it smelt so good from the street. These sandwiches were so tasty; I think it was my first proper “hot sandwich”. I usually hate mayonnaise but it tasted so good from here! After dinner we tried to do some washing in our hotel bathtub, which was a bit of a disaster, and then had an early night.

The next morning after a nice breakfast which was included with our accommodation (including Belgian waffles mmm!) we decided to start using our City Pass vouchers and head over to the Space Needle area. Along the way we walked past the famous Pike Place markets. I was very disappointed that the famous fish throwing stall was closed but seeing the first Starbucks store (I love my coffee!) made up for this! We didn’t spend too long here as we knew we’d be back.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Once we reached our destination we used our first voucher to visit the EMP (Experience Music Project) which is a rock and roll museum. It’s worth a visit to check out the building alone!

IMG_1253.jpg

The museum was really cool; there were lots of interactive exhibitions and a special Jimi Hendrix exhibit. You could easily spend a full day here. Attached to the EMP is the Science Fiction Museum (entry includes both museums), which I was super excited about being a massive sci-fi fan, although it was a bit smaller than I had hoped. They had a special Battlestar Gallactica exhibit when we were there and I think I squealed out loud with excitement when I realised this. It was also very exciting to see the bridge of the original Enterprise from Star Trek, R2D2 and one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There was a great gift shop outside the sci-fi museum too with some pretty hard to find collectibles, particularly from shows that have now finished.

IMG_1239.jpg

After the museums we used our next voucher to take a trip up the famous, and beautiful, Space Needle! Our voucher was for 2 visits in 24 hours (one during the day and one at night). We spent quite a while on the observation deck enjoying the view, and really loved learning about the history of the Space Needle.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

The next voucher to be used was at the Pacific Science Centre (the museums, space needle and science centre are all next to each other and part of the “Seattle Centre”). The science centre has lots of hands on things to do and was really fun. They had lots of different exhibits including space, the human body, measurement, water and a butterfly house. The City Pass voucher also includes an IMAX movie.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

However all of this was overshadowed when we realised there was a special (for an additional fee) exhibit; Harry Potter! We are massive Harry Potter fans so had to buy tickets for this. The exhibit was really well themed with lots of props, costumes etc. from the movies. They admitted small groups at a time and we were “sorted” with the sorting hat before we were allowed in. Unfortunately we weren’t allowed to take photos inside so you’ll have to take my word that it was great!

IMG_1249.jpg

After we left the Science Centre it was well past lunch time and we felt like some fresh air, so we grabbed some food (I can’t remember where though?) and then just had a wander around, checked out a few shops etc. We basically wanted to pass the time until sun set as we needed to use our second Space Needle voucher, and didn’t want to walk all the way back and forth to our hotel again! We came across a really lovely courtyard garden with a waterfall along the way.

IMG_1312.jpg

Eventually we headed back to the Space Needle for our second night-time trip. It was a clear night so we had a great view of the lights of Seattle. We were lucky enough to score a table next to the window, and enjoyed a few drinks (there is a bar up there) while watching the view at sunset and then the city lights.

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

We had initially planned to eat in a restaurant tonight, particularly to try some of the famous Pacific Northwest seafood, but we were just too tired after such a full day, and still had a long walk ahead of us back to the hotel. So we ended up getting hot sandwiches again, which we took back to the hotel, and had another early night.

Continued next post…

The next morning we had a bit of a sleep-in and then headed to the waterfront to use up the two remaining vouchers of our City Passes (well there were actually three, but we knew we wouldn’t make it to the zoo). We got tickets for a harbour cruise for later in the afternoon, and then headed over the Seattle Aquarium. We both agreed that we were more impressed with the Monterey Aquarium, but we still enjoyed this one, especially the keeper talks we managed to catch. There were also quite a few animals unique to the Pacific Northwest that we hadn’t seen before. The highlight for us was probably the giant octopus feeding, those things are huge! I’m pretty sure we had lunch at the aquarium, but this is a bit foggy..

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

After the aquarium we returned to the Pike Place Markets to explore some more. They have some really beautiful fresh produce there and I remember having a few snacks.

IMG_1314.jpg

Candy apples..mmmm!

There are also some really unique shops such as book, antique and a comic store, as well as a great pet store (without animals – just pet collectibles and gifts). We are big animal lovers with a very indulged dog and budgie, and also have a lot of friends/family who love doting on their pets, so we bought quite a few gifts here (e.g. car stickers, shirts).

With our backpack a little heavier we then returned to the waterfront for our harbour cruise. I initially freaked out when I saw how much the boat was bumping around while it was docked (I’ve been in a boat accident on a previous holiday and developed a bit of a boat phobia since!) but once we were onboard and moving I was fine. The cruise was really enjoyable. We basically travelled around the bay and a guide gave a commentary of what we were seeing, as well as some Seattle history and trivia. It was nice to sit down for a while too!

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

I couldn’t stop taking photos of the Needle..

IMG_1308.jpg

Escape from the Aquarium?

IMG_1309.jpg

Coast Guard icebreaker ship

IMG_1310.jpg

After the cruise we made the short walk back to our hotel and relaxed for an hour or two before dinner, which was a nice change of pace. I’d bought quite a few books along the way, since they are so much cheaper than back home, so I think I lay on the bed and read for a while.

Finally tonight we decided to try some of the local seafood and eat at a restaurant! The guide on our cruise had recommended Ivar’s, Elliot’s Oyster House or The Crab Pot, all of which are on the waterfront. We decided to go for The Crab Pot since it looked busiest, which we took as a good sign! We had to wait for a table, but that wasn’t a problem as we sat at the bar and enjoyed some cocktails (mine came with a free collectible glass too!) while we waited.

Nearly every table in the restaurant ordered the Crab Pot’s famous buckets of shellfish which are tipped out on the table for everyone to share, and require bibs and hammers to eat. Whilst this looked like heaps of fun, I have a mild seafood allergy and didn’t want to risk overdoing it. For appetiser we shared the Dungeness crab cakes which were delicious. This was the first time I’d had crab cakes and I’m definitely a convert!

IMG_1322.jpg

Minus the second crab cake which we already devoured

For mains DF had fish and chips and I had salmon, both of which were very nice. We decided to skip dessert and eat some of the chocolates we’d bought at the markets earlier in the day back at our hotel.

After dinner we wandered back to our room and began packing for our journey to Vancouver the next morning.

Next: Our first taste of Canada – Vancouver

Lulu - great update for Seattle.

Would you believe that somewhere in our vast collection of photographs (in the days of film photography)...I have a picture of that exact same waterfall?

I am totally converted to crabcakes now too after trying my first ones at DL in 2009 and then eating lots more at WDW in 2010. Your Seattle ones look delish.

I would have been so excited about the Harry Potter exhibit too, what a shame there are no pics.

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed Seattle.

Just want to say really enjoying reading yoru updates

Harry Potter exhibition would have had me there as well - I am wondering if it is the same one coming to Sydney this year?

Can't wait for the move into Canada

Lulu - great update for Seattle.

Would you believe that somewhere in our vast collection of photographs (in the days of film photography)...I have a picture of that exact same waterfall?

Haha what a coincidence! I'm pretty sure it was a UPS building and the garden was built for the 100th anniversary or something? We literally just stumbled upon it though, and I don't think I'd be able to necessarily find it again!

I am totally converted to crabcakes now too after trying my first ones at DL in 2009 and then eating lots more at WDW in 2010. Your Seattle ones look delish.

I would have been so excited about the Harry Potter exhibit too, what a shame there are no pics.

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed Seattle.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying crabcakes in WDW too, I drool over the photos in the dining reviews threads.. We really enjoyed Seattle, it was one of my favourite places we'd visited at that point in our trip.

Just want to say really enjoying reading yoru updates

Harry Potter exhibition would have had me there as well - I am wondering if it is the same one coming to Sydney this year?

Can't wait for the move into Canada

Thank you :goodvibes I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same exhibition, in which case I would highly recommend it! It wasn't particularly interactive but it was really well themed and cool to see so many real props. The gift shop was really cool too but extremely expensive (I so badly wanted to buy a wand but DF convinced me $80 was too much haha)

Just checking in to see if we are close to the next update??

Not that I am checking multiple times a day or anything :rotfl2:

Thank you :goodvibes I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same exhibition, in which case I would highly recommend it! It wasn't particularly interactive but it was really well themed and cool to see so many real props. The gift shop was really cool too but extremely expensive (I so badly wanted to buy a wand but DF convinced me $80 was too much haha)

$80??? :scared1: And I thought $30 at Harry Potter World was a little steep! (Now I'm glad DH decided to ignore me and bought 2 different wands home!)

$80??? :scared1: And I thought $30 at Harry Potter World was a little steep! (Now I'm glad DH decided to ignore me and bought 2 different wands home!)

I have to admit they were pretty awesome wands, all made of different woods, in fancy boxes and very realistic (if there is such a thing as a realistic magic wand?) But I didn't see too many people actually buying them!

Days Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen – Vancouver

We woke early to catch our first Amtrak train of the trip up to Vancouver. Aside from internal flights for long distances and driving on the west coast we pretty much used trains to get everywhere else (Amtrak and VIA Rail) and found this to be a great way to get around that was economical and reliable. Our travel agent booked our tickets for us as well so the process was really easy. It is possible to get a pass that lasts a number of days, but it worked out more economical for us to pay for each individual trip when we did the maths.

When we arrived at the Amtrak station in Seattle, on a very rainy morning, we discovered that we wouldn’t be catching a train after all as a mudslide had closed the track. So we boarded buses instead! We had a pretty uneventful trip across the border and arrived at the Vancouver station around the expected time anyway.

IMG_1325.jpg

View from the “train”

We caught a taxi to our hotel and were excited that we’d been upgraded to a very large suite, with separate kitchen and bedrooms. Our room was also ready early (we arrived about 11am). By this stage I was pretty exhausted as we’d had a very early morning and long tiring days. So I basically collapsed into bed as soon as we got into our room and slept soundly for several hours. DF used this time to take advantage of the wireless internet, send some emails home and upload some photos from the camera.

IMG_1332.jpg

View from the balcony of our hotel room

I awoke feeling refreshed and we decided to take a wander into downtown Vancouver. The hotel receptionist recommended we have a late lunch at the “best burger place in town” (which unfortunately I don’t remember the name of!) So we took her advice and had a very tasty lunch, then changed some money and just wandered around exploring for a while.

IMG_1337.jpg

DF insisted on taking this photo of the smallest KFC he’s ever seen (I wouldn’t let him eat there haha)

I can’t really remember where the time went or specifically what we did but I know we ate dinner in a pub and watched our first ice hockey game with some very passionate Canucks fans! It’s a strangely addictive game and we ended up being pretty engrossed by it! I think we had an early night after walking home from dinner (we walked everywhere in Vancouver and our hotel was very conveniently located)

One of the main reasons we wanted to visit Vancouver was as a base to travel to Whistler. Neither of us are skiers, but we wanted to have our first snow encounter and also see what a ski field is like. We hadn’t planned any travel in advance (it’s about a 3 hour trip one way) and asked the front desk at our hotel for advice on how to best get there. When they discovered we weren’t going to be skiing they suggested that instead of travelling all the way to Whistler we could save time and money and visit Grouse Mountain instead, which is a ski field only a short distance away from Vancouver and accessible by public transport. We hadn’t even heard of Grouse Mountain before but we took the advice of the locals and decided to give it a go!

The next morning we donned our full snow gear for the first time and walked to the ferry terminal, enjoying cupcakes for breakfast along the way (the red velvet at the Monte Carlo in Vegas is still my favourite!) After catching the ferry we then got on a bus which took us to the base of Grouse Mountain, paid for our tickets and caught the cable car up the mountain. In summer you can take a gruelling hike to the top (the “Grouse Grind”) instead.

IMG_1344.jpg

View getting on the cable car

I’m a bit of a wimp and found the cable car pretty scary, especially the two big “bumps” when it goes over the poles that connect the cables! But we made it safely to the top and were very excited to see the beautiful sight that awaited us, at the same time trying to act cool around the seasoned skiers who didn’t find the snow such a novelty!

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

We had a wander around and explored the visitor’s centre trying to stay out of the way of the skiers! DF really wanted to try ice skating so we both hired some skates. Neither of us actually knows how to skate and there was no rail around the rink so I was pretty nervous. They had frames to help the beginners (which looked very much like the walking frames elderly people use!) but regardless of this as soon as I stood up and took my first step I decided that ice skating is definitely not for me and promptly returned my skates. I just felt way too unsafe, and knowing my history of clumsiness I could visualise breaking my leg. DF was a lot braver though and gave it a go; he didn’t even mind me laughing at him using the frame. After a few circuits he actually got quite good! I was enjoying myself on the sidelines watching the skaters and definitely didn’t regret my decision to quit early.

IMG_1354.jpg

After DF handed back his skates we had lunch (which was pretty ordinary since we didn’t have a lot of choice up there!) and watery hot chocolate. We then decided to hire some snow shoes and go for a longer walk around. Our water proof shoes were doing a great job, but they didn’t have a lot of grip for the deeper snow. As much as I hated ice skating I loved snow shoeing! It was great fun and one of the best workouts I’ve ever had! I think we hired the shoes for about two hours in total. We walked right up to one of the ski lifts, and had a great view of the sun starting to set.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

After we returned our snow shoes we went for a ride on the “sleigh” which was included with our tickets. The driver was a fellow Aussie. It was really nice to rest our legs for a while and we picked up some skiers for our return leg back to the chalet.

IMG_1383.jpg

After our sleigh ride we had a quick look around the gift shop and then took the cable car back down. The city lights were really pretty from up there. We then caught the bus then the ferry back to the city and had dinner in one of the restaurants at the water front. I can’t remember where we ate but I remember having a delicious wonton soup which was the perfect thing on a cold night.

The following day we had considered spending on Vancouver Island, but decided to have a more laid back day instead. Something about Vancouver made us feel really relaxed so we didn’t end up fitting a lot into our visit there! I think we slept through breakfast (provided by the hotel) this day too.

We eventually ended up at Stanley Park, which is a huge (bigger than Central Park!) park in downtown Vancouver bordered by sea walls. We spent quite a few hours just wandering around exploring and really enjoyed the park; there is a lot to see. We made friends with some of the local bird life:

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

Walked along some of the sea walls:

IMG_1402.jpg

We found Grouse Mountain from the ground

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

And admired the totem poles..

IMG_1403.jpg

We also bumped into a show being filmed, which we later discovered was called Hell Cats (I’d never heard of it before?)

IMG_1415.jpg

Once again I really can’t remember how we spent the rest of the day after Stanley Park. I do remember doing some shopping, particularly for books, but I can’t remember what we had for dinner or how we spent the evening (aside from packing)

We really enjoyed Vancouver and thought it was a very “liveable” city. I’d really like to go back some day and explore further. DF’s brother is hoping to get a holiday job working in Whistler in the next year or so, which might be a good excuse to go back!

Next up: our first taste of the east coast, Montreal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter