August 2012 Car Rental Thread

You will need to have your DH with you when you pick up the car. You can add him at the kiosk, you cannot do an additional driver and get an online checkin.
Another alternative is to do your above scenario and add your DH at the Car Care Center at Disney or any other Alamo location.

Thanks for the info! I think we'll add him at the car care center so they can go directly to the ME and I can go pick up the car and head to the BC to check in. We're so excited! 6 Days!! :banana:

Don't worry, if you check in with the greeter and tell them you want a car, one will be found for you if none are in the row.

thanks!
we get in pretty early, so I was guessing there would be plenty of cars.

We leave on the 23rd and rates with Alamo appear to be slowly but surely dropping. The rate for my car is still coming in about 10 dollars above what I managed to snag in July for the same rental but I am hopeful.
It's worth watching for the next few days to see if I can save a bit over the 195 I am paying currently.:)

gmeh1 said:
Did you get a T&C with leather interior? If so, it has a DVD player in it.

Yes leather which is blistering hot on the behinds daily. Son showed me the DVD player today I hadn't noticed.

Thanks to all of you - I have been following carefully and cheering everyone on to get the best deals possible and picked up a few tips along the way.:cool1:

Got a Fullsize from Alamo - all inclusive for 13 days out of Tampa for $332. Was glad to take a compact or midsize but whichever combo of codes I used had the Fullsize for less! Go figure!

Forgoing ME this trip because we are picking up an RCCL cruise out of Canaveral after 6 nights at BLT, then returning to WLV for the weekend before flying back home from Tampa on Sunday night.

Two questions, then...

How long will the drive take to WDW? Which Walmart do I stop at for room supplies?

AND... Think I can do ANY better on my rental?????? :rolleyes1 TIA!

If you don't mind me asking, what codes did you use? I have a rate of $239 for 8 days with National out of Tampa. I would switch to Alamo if I could get a cheaper rate.

Yes leather which is blistering hot on the behinds daily. Son showed me the DVD player today I hadn't noticed.

True, that leather can be hot. Hint: keep towels in the van to cover the seats. Works very very well.

Alamo rates dropped today approx. $10 below what I booked back in July....just made a new reservation: 8/23-9/3, standard car for $179. Costco & AA coupon codes.

Alamo rates dropped today approx. $10 below what I booked back in July....just made a new reservation: 8/23-9/3, standard car for $179. Costco & AA coupon codes.

Yep! That's about where we're sitting for our reservation for the same dates. Mine is 189 actually but I don't have a Costco card anymore so I am using Insiders/AA coupon.
Hoping to see it go down even more:)

We did the same mistake as you. We hadn't notice the leather seats and are having fun doing the hot dance when we get in it. At least it cools off fast. The DVD has been god sent when we drove to Madeira beach on our arrival day and will be great tomorrow when we head to Disney. 2 hours in the car with no DVD makes it for too many fights between my girls lately

pigletto said:
Yep! That's about where we're sitting for our reservation for the same dates. Mine is 189 actually but I don't have a Costco card anymore so I am using Insiders/AA coupon.
Hoping to see it go down even more:)

Based on the previous feedback from others here, I dont think you need to actually show a Costco card. I dont have one.

If you don't mind me asking, what codes did you use? I have a rate of $239 for 8 days with National out of Tampa. I would switch to Alamo if I could get a cheaper rate.

Hi Thumper - sorry if it took me a bit to get back... just checked - in the end, to get a full size out of Tampa - 8/20-9/20 - I put in the Costco code and my Insider ID - all taxes and fees came to $332.20. This after playing around with codes, sizes, times for WEEKS!

Off to study Tampa airport maps and directions to WDW - have never flown into Tampa before. Pain not to take Magical Express... we have to actually claim bags!!

Hope this helps!!

Hi Thumper - sorry if it took me a bit to get back... just checked - in the end, to get a full size out of Tampa - 8/20-9/20 - I put in the Costco code and my Insider ID - all taxes and fees came to $332.20. This after playing around with codes, sizes, times for WEEKS!

Off to study Tampa airport maps and directions to WDW - have never flown into Tampa before. Pain not to take Magical Express... we have to actually claim bags!!

Hope this helps!!

Maybe this will help you on your travel stuff. http://www.tampaairport.com/maps/directions.asp

Rates just dropped again. Now at 179 for a Standard car with Alamo for 11 days:cool1:

Waahhhh!!! :sad: I want my rental to drop too!

Still no where near the $115 we have for a standard for 7 days. I am slowing resigning myself to the fact that its as low as its going to go.

Waahhhh!!! :sad: I want my rental to drop too!

Still no where near the $115 we have for a standard for 7 days. I am slowing resigning myself to the fact that its as low as its going to go.

It was the weirdest thing. I am literally checking every hour or so right now just in case. I checked and it was lower. I booked it, cancelled the old reservation and went right back to check it again just in case.. and it was back up! It couldn't have been lower for more than an hour! Very strange.

It was the weirdest thing. I am literally checking every hour or so right now just in case. I checked and it was lower. I booked it, cancelled the old reservation and went right back to check it again just in case.. and it was back up! It couldn't have been lower for more than an hour! Very strange.

Well, you know what they say......timing is everything! :thumbsup2

All joking aside, I am glad you scored an even better deal today :cheer2: . If mine goes no lower, I will still be a happy girl. I am just thrifty by nature (I refuse to use the word "cheap" :lmao:) and am always in pursuit of the best deal available.

I am so impressed that you are checking every hour. I am lucky if I remember to check every day. Funny when you find that price you are comfy with, the panic to whittle it down subsides somewhat. Now for my December trip.......:crazy2: the prices are awful. Hoping the car rental Gods smile down on me between now and the holiday season. Lots of time yet, I know.....but patience isn't generally one of my virtues :rolleyes1 .

:thanks: Got back earlier this week.
We used the Kayak 'Shades of Green' code, and a $40 coupon emailed direct from National.

After a morning at AK, we hopped the first bus to pull in, and headed out. DH called the CCC from Saratoga Springs (not staying there - just where we ended up at the time) to arrange a ride, and we ended up at the CCC, where we were given a very slightly dinged, but still nice, Toyota Corolla (midsize) :car:

Put 130± miles on it, and $20 worth of gas in it. Dropped off at the airport, with 15 minutes to spare, and the final receipt had a rate that was even lower than the one originally quoted - by $1.81 We ended up paying 83.20 for it, taxes included.
Even with the gas, it more than paid for itself with the savings on beverages which we picked up at Publix vs buying at WDW prices.

Again, many thanks - youse guys ROCK :dance3:

:yay: :yay::yay:

Dollar has a "city special" right now for Orlando.
I got a mini van for 185$ :goodvibes

The also had Full size for 108$

:yay: :yay::yay:

Dollar has a "city special" right now for Orlando.
I got a mini van for 185$ :goodvibes

The also had standards for 108$

What are your dates? Holy cow that is WAY lower than I have seen minivans so far!

ETA) Just checked my dates. The city special for a minivan for us would be $839.00. LOL..not a chance!

This morning I happen to be up at 6 so I checked the rates at Alamo. For our rental 8/25~9/3 which is for 10 days for standard dropped to $145 from 155 and I used BJ's coupon AD8Z21SDB (10 days rental $40 off).

Since my sister needs one also, I called her change her reservation and the rates got back to $155. It shot right back up within 10 minutes. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter