Are you averse to the 'new' 5-day pass only? Please read and comment...

Walt Disney himself would not have wanted for people to feel they had to limit or restrict their time at his wonderful park - so why do you?

I don't want to go to a beach for my holiday.

I want to go to Disneyland with my family... The happiest place on earth. :flower3:

Actually - when Walt was alive I don't believe they sold anything more than one day tickets. When DL opened, one had to pay for each ride until they issued books with an admission ticket and ride coupons. If you were out of the right coupon you had to pay cash. That indirectly limited patrons' time in the park and served as an effective crowd control. Frankly the "all you can eat" policy really changed things. I remember going on Pirates several times in a row when there was no line. We'd run out and get back in and pretty much only one boat left while we were doing it. Before then, you'd need to be judicious about which coupon you used.

I don't know what the place would be like today if there was a similar coupon system. I think it was possible to buy an admission only ticket back then, although most people got the value books with the coupons. For someone on a multi-day trip, I believe it would have been possible to combine the coupons and maybe spend some days without really going on the rides. You could go shopping, eat, or just spend time watching parades and characters.

Walt of course had pride in his special place, but he was also a businessman.

Actually - when Walt was alive I don't believe they sold anything more than one day tickets. When DL opened, one had to pay for each ride until they issued books with an admission ticket and ride coupons. If you were out of the right coupon you had to pay cash. That indirectly limited patrons' time in the park and served as an effective crowd control. Frankly the "all you can eat" policy really changed things. I remember going on Pirates several times in a row when there was no line. We'd run out and get back in and pretty much only one boat left while we were doing it. Before then, you'd need to be judicious about which coupon you used.

I don't know what the place would be like today if there was a similar coupon system. I think it was possible to buy an admission only ticket back then, although most people got the value books with the coupons. For someone on a multi-day trip, I believe it would have been possible to combine the coupons and maybe spend some days without really going on the rides. You could go shopping, eat, or just spend time watching parades and characters.

Walt of course had pride in his special place, but he was also a businessman.

Welcome to the DISBoards, bcla! :) I remember Walt's famous quote... "To all who come to this Happy Place... welcome! This land is your land....." Walt, in my personal opinion (by which I base both on his world renowned speech, as well as by his comments on why Walt created Disneyland, so as to be able to spend quality time with his family) would have felt strongly against limiting family time and even from preventing profit in the parks by limiting the time one could spend with their family within the park.

Welcome to the DISBoards, bcla! :) I remember Walt's famous quote... "To all who come to this Happy Place... welcome! This land is your land....." Walt, in my personal opinion (by which I base both on his world renowned speech, as well as by his comments on why Walt created Disneyland, so as to be able to spend quality time with his family) would have felt strongly against limiting family time and even from preventing profit in the parks by limiting the time one could spend with their family within the park.

However, Disneyland has always had internal occupancy limits. They of course had safety in mind, as well as the comfort of their patrons. I don't know how Walt would have reacted to the multi-day passes and the steep discounts for additional days. Before the days of the multi day tickets, they stopped visitors at the door who had tickets when it was too crowded. Now they try to regulate it by killing one-day ticket sales.

The rental of five-day tickets does get around the point of issuing them from a business and occupancy perspective. Someone with a multi-day ticket legitimately using them might just stop by for a few hours on one or two days or even spread out time in the parks for a more leisurely pace. The person "renting" a ticket for one or two days will likely try to maximize the time and increase the overall usage.

In any case, they're being strict about enforcement now. I was checked for ID every single time. They're also making sure that each guest's name is printed on the ticket either by machine or with a permanent marker they provide. It wouldn't surprise me if the brokers weren't telling their customers to carry a dry erase marker. If they bring down the hammer, there is no practical way for these brokers to stay in business other than outright fraud. Right now it's a gray area in terms of legality, but if they can't consistently deliver it's fraud.

With the enforcement efforts, maybe they will reconsider longer tickets.

However, Disneyland has always had internal occupancy limits. They of course had safety in mind, as well as the comfort of their patrons. I don't know how Walt would have reacted to the multi-day passes and the steep discounts for additional days. Before the days of the multi day tickets, they stopped visitors at the door who had tickets when it was too crowded. Now they try to regulate it by killing one-day ticket sales.

The rental of five-day tickets does get around the point of issuing them from a business and occupancy perspective. Someone with a multi-day ticket legitimately using them might just stop by for a few hours on one or two days or even spread out time in the parks for a more leisurely pace. The person "renting" a ticket for one or two days will likely try to maximize the time and increase the overall usage.

In any case, they're being strict about enforcement now. I was checked for ID every single time. They're also making sure that each guest's name is printed on the ticket either by machine or with a permanent marker they provide. It wouldn't surprise me if the brokers weren't telling their customers to carry a dry erase marker. If they bring down the hammer, there is no practical way for these brokers to stay in business other than outright fraud. Right now it's a gray area in terms of legality, but if they can't consistently deliver it's fraud.

With the enforcement efforts, maybe they will reconsider longer tickets.

When Walt was alive, the Park was an Amusement Park solely, and had not yet expanded into a Resort where executives have indicated in press releases that a Disneyland Resort guest would want to spend more than 5 days there. (I guess they meant that you may wish to purchase an annual pass :rolleyes:, which is not a feasible option for many. The recommendation of purchasing an annual pass has been a generic response that Disneyland Guest Services has continued to write back to the guests who have written in a complaint about the discontinuation of the longer Park Hopper ticket.) As well, the addition of a 1, 2, or 3 day Park Hopper purchase 'added' on has been suggested by Disneyland Guest Services, which does make the 'cost per day' more expensive than when going up to 5 days only, which is in very poor taste in my opinion to treat those who are spending more money in the parks (food such as snacks and meals, etc.) who choose to spend more than 5 days, with such little regard. But hopefully, they are starting to think about it some more, and it looks as though they may be...

I agree with you that with the enforcement efforts, that they may reconsider bringing back the longer Park Hopper tickets. Fingers crossed! That, and a little pixiedust: :goodvibes

I have to post here: I had previously stated that I initially wasn't sure that fraudulent ticket use was at the helm of the problem for Disney - however, after reading this thread, where 3-day and even 2-day Park Hopper Disneyland Park Guests are now being asked for ID, it clearly WAS a legitimate issue. My post is #24 on this post:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46833312#post46833312

Disneyland, I feel badly for you that such ticket abuse has taken place. I truly hope you can get a handle on it, and manage to make every legitimate Disney Guest feel welcomed at your Park (Resort) once again, by offering a longer-than-5-day-Park-Hopper-Pass once you gain control over this matter, which looks strongly in your favor!! :yay:

I read today that ticket process may very well go up come March, and while at first that made me feel sick perhaps they will offer longer tickets then. I visited last year and for one of my days my best friend and her Family did Disneyland. We ran back and forth and basically ran ourselves ragged so they could get there moneys worth, it was crazy. Luckily I had many more days myself because that is not my idea of how Walt envisioned a Family to experience his park.

Please Disney execs, give us a longer ticket. I'll gladly show ID!

I just spoke with Disney and also chatted with someone. They never mention the problem was fraud, all they said is tickets longer than 5 days were not popular.

We were going to surprise the kids with a 7 night Disney trip, but due to the new ticket changes my wife and I have decided to go to San Diego for a week. It will be cheaper and we love the beach and kids love Sea World. They love Disney more but I refuse to purchase an extra 2 day pass when I am purchasing a 5 day pass.

Well done Disney you lost my business.
Kyle

I just spoke with Disney and also chatted with someone. They never mention the problem was fraud, all they said is tickets longer than 5 days were not popular.

We were going to surprise the kids with a 7 night Disney trip, but due to the new ticket changes my wife and I have decided to go to San Diego for a week. It will be cheaper and we love the beach and kids love Sea World. They love Disney more but I refuse to purchase an extra 2 day pass when I am purchasing a 5 day pass.

Well done Disney you lost my business.
Kyle

The 'not popular' was used as an excuse a lot during the beginning of this struggle by Disney for loyal DISboard fans and other loyal fans who wanted more-than-5-day Park Hoppers, but as of late, the more common excuse that Disney must have told their reps. to tell us was 'fraud.' I am highly encouraged that if they can get the fraudulent ticket use under control, then we can expect in the near future to see 6 and 7 day or more Park Hoppers. :love: Don't give up yet, Kyle, we have to believe in Disney magic. :wizard:

I read today that ticket process may very well go up come March, and while at first that made me feel sick perhaps they will offer longer tickets then. I visited last year and for one of my days my best friend and her Family did Disneyland. We ran back and forth and basically ran ourselves ragged so they could get there moneys worth, it was crazy. Luckily I had many more days myself because that is not my idea of how Walt envisioned a Family to experience his park.

Please Disney execs, give us a longer ticket. I'll gladly show ID!

This quite disgusts me, enough is enough, is enough. (If what you read is true.) In the past years since we started going, the price raise has been so substantially higher than previous years it is making me sick. We understood when prices raised for world of color, renovations, Cars Land, new rides, Buena Vista Street, etc... BUT DOES IT HAVE TO KEEP GOING UP?!?

(Shakes head, sadly.)

Walt believed in earning money - no doubt about it - but he also wanted for families to be able to spend quality family time in his parks.

Tonight, I had my girls write letters to Disney asking them to bring back the longer hopper passes! Our trip was part of their Christmas present, so they just found out about it. I hope that letters from children (and they hand-wrote them in cursive! :) ) will speak to Disney. I wrote months ago and received a phone call in return from my snail mail letter.

In case anyone missed it, here is the address for which to send snail mail letters. Be sure to include your phone number and address.
Write snail mail to:

Disneyland
Guest Relations
1313 Harbor Blvd. P.O. Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803-6161

Tonight, I had my girls write letters to Disney asking them to bring back the longer hopper passes! Our trip was part of their Christmas present, so they just found out about it. I hope that letters from children (and they hand-wrote them in cursive! :) ) will speak to Disney. I wrote months ago and received a phone call in return from my snail mail letter.

In case anyone missed it, here is the address for which to send snail mail letters. Be sure to include your phone number and address.
Write snail mail to:

Disneyland
Guest Relations
1313 Harbor Blvd. P.O. Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803-6161

What a great idea, sgrap! It would be nice if they can see the effect this (Taking away more-than-5-day Park Hopper tickets) will have on some of their most VIP guests - the children!

Thank you also for posting the mailing address.

Please do keep us posted, as to when your children hear back from Disney, thanks! :goodvibes

New Business:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3043976

Looks like they are really working hard to get the fraudulent ticket use under control; once they do so, I would expect and hope to see longer than 5 day park hoppers once again.

Let's just hope they can fine tune this picture taking process, so that there are not lengthy waits, as reported on that thread.

Sent my $0.02 their way!

I feel now more than ever that this is a bad move. They did it to help cut down on ticket reselling but really, this was a very shortsighted way to deal with it. And now that they have implemented ID checking and even as of today picture taking to link to multi-day passes, it seems like doing away with +5 day passes is even more unecessary.

I reminded them that there are many people like myself who, due to distance and financial reasons, can't get to the park that often. But when we are there, we want to be able to do it right! We spent five days in the parks, ate all our meals and snacks there, and bought a respectable amount of souvenirs. But I wanted MORE! Next time I went I knew I wanted to go for at least 6 days... but now, I probably can't, unless they change this policy.

The so called "not-popular" excuse just doesn't make sense either. It costs Disney nothing (assuming proper use of the tickets, ie: no reselling) to OFFER passes of more than 5 days. We're not talking about physical inventory here, like a clothing store that has to pay to have the clothing made to sit on the shelves, and then loses money if they don't sell those items. We're talking about park passes here! I can't believe they tried using that as a reason.

What a great idea, sgrap! It would be nice if they can see the effect this (Taking away more-than-5-day Park Hopper tickets) will have on some of their most VIP guests - the children!

Thank you also for posting the mailing address.

Please do keep us posted, as to when your children hear back from Disney, thanks! :goodvibes
My girls received a letter back from Disneyland today. Even though they wrote separate letters in separate envelopes, they only received 1 letter back, addressed to both of them. That seemed a bit lame to me--they each individually took the time to write, so shouldn't they each 'rate' their own letter? It was basically a form letter, saying pretty much what the e-mail I received back in response to my original e-mail. I had hoped they would get a personal phone call back like I did to my letter. Oh well, at least Disney is hearing from some of us that we want our longer hopper passes back!

Sent my $0.02 their way!

I feel now more than ever that this is a bad move. They did it to help cut down on ticket reselling but really, this was a very shortsighted way to deal with it. And now that they have implemented ID checking and even as of today picture taking to link to multi-day passes, it seems like doing away with +5 day passes is even more unecessary.

I reminded them that there are many people like myself who, due to distance and financial reasons, can't get to the park that often. But when we are there, we want to be able to do it right! We spent five days in the parks, ate all our meals and snacks there, and bought a respectable amount of souvenirs. But I wanted MORE! Next time I went I knew I wanted to go for at least 6 days... but now, I probably can't, unless they change this policy.

The so called "not-popular" excuse just doesn't make sense either. It costs Disney nothing (assuming proper use of the tickets, ie: no reselling) to OFFER passes of more than 5 days. We're not talking about physical inventory here, like a clothing store that has to pay to have the clothing made to sit on the shelves, and then loses money if they don't sell those items. We're talking about park passes here! I can't believe they tried using that as a reason.

There are definitely legitimate reasons for wanting to stay longer than 5 days, and it's so disappointing that Disney has not yet acknowledged that they will implement that change. I do feel that since they are cracking down on fraud, they should be able to soon re-instate the longer-than-5-day parkhopper tickets. Glad people are still writing in to express their sentiments. Thanks!!

My girls received a letter back from Disneyland today. Even though they wrote separate letters in separate envelopes, they only received 1 letter back, addressed to both of them. That seemed a bit lame to me--they each individually took the time to write, so shouldn't they each 'rate' their own letter? It was basically a form letter, saying pretty much what the e-mail I received back in response to my original e-mail. I had hoped they would get a personal phone call back like I did to my letter. Oh well, at least Disney is hearing from some of us that we want our longer hopper passes back!

Separate letters in separate envelopes definitely should merit a personalized reply to each of your daughters. :( I think you are right, Disney must be hearing from a lot of people still, that a longer Park Hopper pass is being requested.

I am sad to see that this has been an issue for so long. My BF has a better memory than mine, so he definitely noticed the absence of longer-stay park hopper tix. I went ahead and dashed off an email, since it has affected our length of stay plan. I am now trying to convince him to add on a trip to San Diego, but we may very well just end up going home. We are ready, willing, and able to throw more money at Disney, but I guess they just don't want it!

I am sad to see that this has been an issue for so long. My BF has a better memory than mine, so he definitely noticed the absence of longer-stay park hopper tix. I went ahead and dashed off an email, since it has affected our length of stay plan. I am now trying to convince him to add on a trip to San Diego, but we may very well just end up going home. We are ready, willing, and able to throw more money at Disney, but I guess they just don't want it!

I was hoping that with picture taking, signing passes, etc. etc., as well as some reports of extending 5 day park hoppers to 6 day, that this might be a go, but so far, no one can really seem to confirm this.

Does anyone know? I want another day of Autopia! :drive: lol.

I think now that the whole picturing taking thing is in place, we should start writing letters again. I was told that was the reason for taking them away. But, you hear so many different things. I was in the parks the first of this month and had to have my picture taken for the 3 day pass. Enough already, I just want to be able to spend more time in the parks without having to buy another 1 or 2 day hopper.:confused:

It looks like this discussion has died away, so I will just add that I received another email from guest relations that states that they are not bringing back the longer tickets. We have to settle for the 5 days or do a combination of different tickets or buy an AP. Sad to say, nothing is going to change.:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter