Are manners becoming extinct?

That's a bunch of crap. I know of no one that was ever scolded because they held a door open, it's not sexist it is common courtesy for male or female.

Poor parenting is the cause of the decline of manners and the outside world all acting like spoiled little brats. Because they are spoiled little brats.
You said it right there.

Something I’m pondering this morning. But I worked in schools forever. it seems that as time marches on, manners are no longer be taught nor expected from children. This also applies to many adults, who of late are complained about on these boards. Is it the decline of society as a whole, or just flat out, bad parenting.
Become no,

went extinct in the late 90s early 2000s

we are all just now realizing the mess we are in

Now when I’m leaving or entering a building and see someone approaching I always hold the door whether it be man or woman but I was raised to always hold the door for a lady.
If you hold the door open regardless of gender why does it matter what the gender of the person is? That's rhetorical because I know that's how you were taught but it's in conflict to the first part of your statement, if you do it for all now stands to reason you can let go of thinking about it in the way of "always holding the door open always for women"

The reason why some individuals take issue with it is a presumption based on gender as if instead of it being seen as a polite thing to do for anyone it's merely just something you're supposed to do for one gender over another. I think it helps people struggling with being rebuffed to understand that it's very likely someone who ended up having a problem with their door being opened for them was subjected to comments or actual behaviors in the past that instead of being seen as an individual they were merely seen as their gender.

I was taught to open the doors for anyone because that's a nice thing to do, a nice gesture so this whole gender thing was never part of my childhood. I think that makes for a different viewpoint IMO.

If you hold the door open regardless of gender why does it matter what the gender of the person is? That's rhetorical because I know that's how you were taught but it's in conflict to the first part of your statement, if you do it for all now stands to reason you can let go of thinking about it in the way of "always holding the door open always for women"

The reason why some individuals take issue with it is a presumption based on gender as if instead of it being seen as a polite thing to do for anyone it's merely just something you're supposed to do for one gender over another. I think it helps people struggling with being rebuffed to understand that it's very likely someone who ended up having a problem with their door being opened for them was subjected to comments or actual behaviors in the past that instead of being seen as an individual they were merely seen as their gender.

I was taught to open the doors for anyone because that's a nice thing to do, a nice gesture so this whole gender thing was never part of my childhood. I think that makes for a different viewpoint IMO.
I was just sharing an experience I had and not looking for a psychological evaluation.

Lots of interesting perspectives and thoughts on this subject.

I will always open/hold open doors for anyone.

To borrow a line from Sinatra, "I did it, I did it my way"

Interesting how this turned once again to millennial bashing. I raised 3 millennial kids to be independent and support themselves well, all without calling people sir and ma'am and treating women like they are weak. I dealt with a lot of crap as an engineering student in the early '80's, which I'm sure influenced my attitude towards this. The mess society is in is not due to young people without manners. It's much deeper than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter