Apparently going to WDW solo is "sad and depressing" LOL

I totally agree with you! Right this minute I am debating a solo trip for December. My usually Disney pals are teachers and can't get out of school. I would love to go see Candlelight Prpcessional without hearing complaints, eating where I want, doing what I want.....the past three yeas have been hell, got rid of a cheating husband, had to sell my house, moved during a terrible winter while working 80 hours a week. But I survived and trying to convince myself that a solo trip to "my happy place" is just what the doctor ordered
Reading the posts here are just what I need!

Sounds like you need to do something nice for yourself :goodvibes

I never understand why people feel the need to judge others. I travel with my sister because we both love Disney but I would go solo too. Personally, I'd hate to take a toddler to WDW, my meltdowns are enough to deal with.:lmao:

I've never been to WDW solo (DH would probably rebel) but have traveled alone. I go to movies alone, dine out alone. I like it for the same reasons others on this thread do. I've been in restaurants where the maitre'd has asked if I want some company, answer: "No thanks. I'm here by choice." Or once I had someone say to me when they found out I would catch a movie after work solo "Aren't you afraid people will think you have no friends?" Seriously? That says volumes about them more than me. Reading this thread has planted a seed.....

I had this conversation with my grandson again yesterday. He would never go to a themepark alone. He says that that is too boring. I don't argue with him about it anymore, because I am never bored. I feel liberated. Don't have to answer to anyone but myself. Don't have to put up with other people's whims, and whining because they don't get what they want.

My solo trip is 31 days away, and I am super excited.

I'm typing this on the final night of my 5-day solo trip. I've had a blast and even did Keys to the Kingdom on Thursday. The ability to make my own plans certain while having the freedom to go elsewhere at my own pace is incredible.

None of this means I don't love having my family here, but it allows one to experience the parks in their own way.

I have travelled solo on trips to Disneyland and spent days on my own when I was travelling with my mum when I went to WDW. It's the best. Thinking of travelling over to WDW on my own in 2015 to celebrate my birthday. Never been away for my birthday so it should be a blast!

I have travelled solo on trips to Disneyland and spent days on my own when I was travelling with my mum when I went to WDW. It's the best. Thinking of travelling over to WDW on my own in 2015 to celebrate my birthday. Never been away for my birthday so it should be a blast!

I did a solo trip to WDW for my 30th. I wore the button and everything! Most people were super nice. A few said "Awww...you're alone on your birthday???" It didn't bother me! I had an amazing time!

I did a solo trip to WDW for my 30th. I wore the button and everything! Most people were super nice. A few said "Awww...you're alone on your birthday???" It didn't bother me! I had an amazing time!

Sounds like you had heaps of fun! I have to wear the birthday button now lol!

Its a bit of a quandary...half of me wonders have I done the right thing booking my first solo trip in October...and the other half cant wait to do whatever I want, when I want...also I've booked lots of time there, just to be leisurely. ? Soak up the atmosphere and just enjoy been there..and 100% Disney, never stepping off property until my flights home.

This is me! A little hesitant, but so excited at the same time. I have a list of all the things I never got to do before so that should keep me occupied for quite some time. Enjoy and have a great trip! pixiedust:

I plan on doing a solo trip for my 22nd or 23rd birthday in June 2015/16 (haven't decided yet) but I'm so looking forward to it. I've been 7 times with my family and as much as I do love it with them, it just gets too much sometimes so I'm excited to go on my own.

I plan on doing a solo trip for my 22nd or 23rd birthday in June 2015/16 (haven't decided yet) but I'm so looking forward to it. I've been 7 times with my family and as much as I do love it with them, it just gets too much sometimes so I'm excited to go on my own.

Same here. I had an excellent time in Orlando two weeks ago.
I plan on going back for the 2015 Wine and Dine Half Marathon.
Kinda nervous about going solo though.

Don't diss the solo trips until you try it! I tend to get told I'm 'brave' doing Disney on my own, I hate that, brave are our servicemen and firemen, going out and having a great time is hardly brave, I even inspired one British lady to consider doing it when her kids were grown up, she loved Disney and, like me, dreaded the day when they didn't want to go with her. What's not to love about freedom to do what you like!
People who make negative comments to a solo traveller should put their brain in gear before opening their mouth as they have no idea why the person is alone, I have no family except for DD who isn't keen on going with Mum now she has a boyfriend (who ironically is going to WDW next month with his family, but, not with her as it was all organised long before they met and they haven't been courting that long anyway) My friends all have families and they cannot afford to do this kind of trip. Three weeks after my DH passed away a guy quipped 'Smile, it may never happen', I won't tell you my response. If someone makes a negative comment about being solo, just say 'Jealous much?'

Deciding factor for me to plan my first solo trip this year, was thinking about what was stopping me. I realized it was just other people's reactions or comments. I then quickly saw that was insane, and booked. Also so far reactions have been pretty good. Not that it's important what others think, it's nice that people are more evolved than I thought. This site and solo threads have been excellent source. I can't wait to get there. Thanks everyone.

Its going to be my third solo trip to disney in september 2014. My first one was Orlando ( september 2012). My second one was last year in Anaheim ( september 2013). Still see some awkward reactions of people when you are telling that you are going solo. I told them that i would send them pictures of me smiling all the time when im in the park, so they dont have to any worries about me being solo there ;-)

I keep encountering this reaction from people too! But I just explain to them this...

After so many trips, usually where I'm bringing somebody for their first time and catering my plans to making sure THEY have a great experience... I'm just SUPER excited to finally eat what I want, wake up when I want, stay out as late as I want, sleep when I want, skip what I want, spend as much lingering favorite places as I want, speed through other things as fast as I want, and just generally DO what I want! :hyper:

I'm single and live alone in RL, and am very very comfortable being on my own. Honestly, the only thing I'm nervous about is the 5 hour drive there and back... Just because road trips are much more fun and go by faster with somebody to talk to. But my week in Disney? No way, that's MY time! :p

I keep encountering this reaction from people too! But I just explain to them this... After so many trips, usually where I'm bringing somebody for their first time and catering my plans to making sure THEY have a great experience... I'm just SUPER excited to finally eat what I want, wake up when I want, stay out as late as I want, sleep when I want, skip what I want, spend as much lingering favorite places as I want, speed through other things as fast as I want, and just generally DO what I want! :hyper: I'm single and live alone in RL, and am very very comfortable being on my own. Honestly, the only thing I'm nervous about is the 5 hour drive there and back... Just because road trips are much more fun and go by faster with somebody to talk to. But my week in Disney? No way, that's MY time! :p

I would suggest podcasts or audio books, and a great playlist. I love driving alone! Total control of the radio!

I travel quite a bit on my own anyway but mostly to volunteering projects around the world so this is an entirely new experience for me. I'm a bit nervous because I tend to be a bit shy at first so I'm worried I won't get the most out of the character interactions I want to do (mostly so there are actually photos of me rather than just photos I took lol).

Would've invited some friends to go with me but they'd just whine about the heat and slow me down!! Total commando style tourer over here!

For me this forum has been a major contributor to just getting booked and visiting at the end of September...the hardest part is making the decision. Eventually I realised go solo or don't go...so thanks to all those positive comments on this site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter