Apparently going to WDW solo is "sad and depressing" LOL

LaLalovesWDW

**Disney Diva for Life**
I'm running out of my snappy one-liners to come back at those who think that traveling ANYWHERE solo is "sad and depressing." I'm here at WDW now since Monday and, other than the constant reminder that I need to work out more because my body is like a bowl of jello right now, I have been having a wonderful time!!! But at least once a day, I run into someone who gives me this look like I just told them I have terminal cancer when I tell them Im here solo... one guy even said that the thought of him going on a vacation alone, especially to Disney is "sad and depressing." As I said to him, "aww whats sad and depressing is that the obvious insecurity in your personality renders you handicapped in initiating new interactions and experiences without the crutch of others, but its ok...bless your heart." I said it smiling so it wouldn't sting as much, but he got the point. LOL :rotfl: I really don't have that generalized idea of those who chose not to travel solo. I do understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea...but don't knock my hustle if its what I enjoy just because you don't understand. But I digress... heading to Bongos tonight for good Cuban food and drinks!!

Some people can't do anything alone. Personally, I love going solo, and I have a trip coming up in August.

I hope you continue to have a wonderful time on your solo trip.

Don't worry about those who don't understand. Not sure why people feel the need to impose their feelings on others, and discount your feelings.

Good for you! I hope you have a blast. And I hope you are using Disney trans so you can enjoy a few cocktails at dinner! :thumbsup2

total strangers or people I know seem to react the same when I say I am going alone...esp. to Disney! My favorite was the time a friend suggested I travel with someone else...My response was, I know I could. But I do not want to. That is the difference. Glad you added the "bless your heart" that always softens the blow...

Well I went back in Dec and absolutely loved not having somebody say... what another shop, are u having yet another margarita? LOL I loved every minute of my 8 day stay. No worries or cares. Yes at times I got a little sad, but quickly got over it. I'm planning on going back this Dec. you do all toss little things you don't get to do when u travel with others. Or better yet do absolutely nothing at all and hang out at the pool ( pool bar)

I've long since stopped caring if people think it's weird to go to the parks by myself, or anywhere for that matter. I've got my first trip to Disneyworld at the end of this month, and after that will head down to the Caribbean. Slowly wandering the parks for five days followed by a week of sitting on white sandy beaches, enjoying tropical beverages sounded like a good time to me. I hope you enjoy every minute of you sad and depressing :rolleyes2 vacation!

I loved going solo. No deciding what to do, no meeting up for lunch. Stopped to do attractions/movies that my other friends won't stop with. Eating what and when I want. Leaving hotel when you want. Some of my friends just "have to eat breakfast in the food court" before leaving for the park. (As long as I have coffee and granola bar I'm fine). Able to park hop if wanted. I have gone with groups as small as just 2 and as big as 8. I like my solo time. I even went to Australia last year solo. (Couldn't find a travel mate due to price). Had a blast.

Enjoy your time.

Love traveling solo! Doing what I want, when I want. Not worrying about any one else. Love, love, love. Enjoy!

Love going solo...MY pace do what I please.I have meet different people from different places and laughed.....I missed going this year..hopefully later in the year if all goes well

I haven't gone completely solo yet, but in September I will go 4 days solo before DH comes (for another 3.5 days for TOT weekend). I absolutely can't wait!!! (especially since food and wine fest will be going on:thumbsup2)

I had one day solo last year when BFF had a conference and it was so relaxing just going where ever I wanted, eating whatever/whereever/whenever I wanted.

Thankfully, no one has ever commented on me being alone during the trips I've gone to WDW solo, but my snappy comeback would be "Well, I'm the best company I can find, so why wouldn't I want to share this with myself?". That should shut them up real quick. :thumbsup2

I'm going to be going on my 1st Solo holiday next year and it will be to WDW.

The good thing about it -

I can do what I want when I want and not have to worry if the other person finds it boring, doesn't like it etc.

Will be strange, but hey. All part of the Journey :D

Will be there solo a week from tomorrow for almost a week-long stay - so excited, and don't care what anyone thinks! Enjoy (I know I will) :goodvibes

I am in the middle of planning my first solo trip, and I am having so much fun with it! I will spend the first part of the trip with family, but I planned to stay several extra days after they leave. So far, I dont think I will have any problem filling up my time. I have booked Keys to the Kingdom tour (yay!), and am thinking about MNSSHP, too. I may have a dismeet for that one. I plan to see some of the other resorts, shop at my leisure,(and I can outshop many of my friends and family!), have a cocktail by the pool, a margarita in Epcot, and another one at Bongos. (Those are yummy!) No, the drinks will not be all on the same day! There is just so much to see and do, and I get to do it at my pace, stop when I want to, or go til I drop. I might feel a little lonely at sit down meals, but I have made several dining reservations and I am not going to let it stop me. I am counting down the days!:cool1:

I have been on one solo trip and had a blast. I would love to do another one just need to find the time. I woke up every morning and read and relaxed and went to the parks later in the day. I had fun interacting with families and taking pictures for them. It was just a great trip. :)

Going for my first solo trip in early December. Making a list of all the things I have never done before and going to do them ALL! Hoping I have time, it is turning out to be quite a list between character meetings, shows, parades, shopping and food. I was taken aback on my last trip - my traveling partner was sick one day so I went to GF tea alone so I would not get charged the fee and when I was at the podium and checked in as one person, the staff got very loud "ONE? ONE?" and made a big deal out of it. It made me feel sad at the time since he was sick in the hotel room. Hoping I won't bump into a lot of those situations on my first solo trip but I will have a few one-liners handy for when they happen. Love and pixie dust to all! pixiedust:

my traveling partner was sick one day so I went to GF tea alone so I would not get charged the fee and when I was at the podium and checked in as one person, the staff got very loud "ONE? ONE?" and made a big deal out of it. It made me feel sad at the time since he was sick in the hotel room. Hoping I won't bump into a lot of those situations on my first solo trip but I will have a few one-liners handy for when they happen.
If anyone does that to me when I am on my solo (and GF tea is on my list), I will look surprised, look all around me, and say "Oh! You're right! Thanks so much for pointing it out!", in a very innocently sarcastic way. Either that or I will tell 'em to let Johnny Depp know I'm waiting for him when he arrives. :snooty:

From all the great replies to this thread, there are a lot of solo travelers out there. We can't all be wrong. Of course, I know we aren't and I just love treating myself to a solo vacation.

I'm doing my second solo trip to Disney World this July! 1st one was back in 2012. I can hardly wait! 8 days of doing exactly what i want when I want! Last year I went with a friend! We had a good time, but honestly if I had to help her find one more smoking section I think I was going to hang myself! I felt I had to make sure she was having an amazing time the whole time! Solo is just so much more enjoyable and relaxing!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter