Anyone drive from Texas to Disney World?

I drove twice from Houston (Katy) to WDW with just my 2 year old -- he was a great travel companion. One issue I had was sometimes needing to stop to use the restroom when he was sleeping and not wanting to disturb him. He also didn't like being kept awake (not able to lay down to go to sleep) if I didn't stop for the night early enough.

I stopped overnight once each way (no advance reservations -- just stopped when I needed.) I was already familiar with part of the trip as I drove him from Ohio to WDW a few months earlier. I went 3 times because of my annual pass and the fact that I didn't have to pay for DS.

I would suggest buying a small battery operated fan that you can use in the back seats because sometimes the air conditioning doesn't reach back there -- that's what I did for my son to keep him cool. I also used front window sun protection to keep the car cooler when we were parked and also put one over his car seat.

If you belong to AAA, you can have them make a triptik for you -- I like these and have always had them make them for me before long trips. They'll also give you maps and hotel/attractions books of the states that you'll be going through.

I love my portable DVD player with headphones for him now and his video game player with headphones. Both of these help with my sanity and concentration on the road.

Pack an overnight bag so you can just get what you'll need for going to sleep and dressing the next morning even if you bring everything from your car in to your hotel room with you for safety.

When securing hotel rooms, ask about rooms on the lower floor, I had to haul a kid and luggage up a flight of stairs on one of the stops which was a pain.

You can save money by using the hotel discount coupon magazines that you'll find at rest stops and Denny's.

Thanks we are going to drive non-stop except for gas and bathroom breaks . Wondering has anyone drove non-stop if so how long did it take you to drive. I was thinking leaving dallas at 4pm after school and heading out .Hopeing to fill up 2-3 times :)

Yes, we did this trip a few years back. We stopped about every 3 hours to swap drivers, stretch, and use the restroom. We left at 2pm from DFW airport area and arrived at 9am the next morning at Pop Century.

Good luck!

Yes, we did this trip a few years back. We stopped about every 3 hours to swap drivers, stretch, and use the restroom. We left at 2pm from DFW airport area and arrived at 9am the next morning at Pop Century.

Good luck!

We left the Lake Tawakoni area around 5:30pm on a Thursday, and arrived in Orlando between 10-11 am Friday.

We're debating flying or driving from DFW to Orlando June 2013. Just for convenience I would rather fly but there are 11 of us - 8 adults and a 14, 7 and a 5 yr old. We would definitely save money. We're thinking about renting a 15 passenger van and driving non-stop w/ 3 hr shifts and then stop for breaks, restroom, food and burn off energy. And then back on the road. We drive 6 hrs from DFW to home in KS all the time so I think we can do it.

We thought about two vehicles - an SUV and a car but we're still toying w/ the 15 passenger van. Everyone having their own space is going to be very important! :rotfl:

ROAD TRIP!!

The van has the driver and passenger seat plus 4 rows and the 4th row is long enough for 3 people. So each row will have 2 people and the back row 3 people.

We plan to leave at 3AM Saturday morning and make it there in 18 hours or so arriving around 9PM/10PM. Check into our condo (two - 2 Bdrms - beds are important to us as well, LOL!), enjoy a week at WDW and do the same thing the following Saturday on our drive back home.

Anyone who has traveled w/ extended family let me know your thoughts. We're siblings and grew up together so we're use to being around each other and traveling together. We're a pretty tight bunch and the siblings that are traveling are low key laid back kind of people. We're leaving the troublemakers at home this trip. :rolleyes1

I'm nervous, excited and anxious about this trip. I guess you can tell since I'm sweating it 10 months in advance.

We're debating flying or driving from DFW to Orlando June 2013. Just for convenience I would rather fly but there are 11 of us - 8 adults and a 14, 7 and a 5 yr old. We would definitely save money. We're thinking about renting a 15 passenger van and driving non-stop w/ 3 hr shifts and then stop for breaks, restroom, food and burn off energy. And then back on the road. We drive 6 hrs from DFW to home in KS all the time so I think we can do it.

We thought about two vehicles - an SUV and a car but we're still toying w/ the 15 passenger van. Everyone having their own space is going to be very important! :rotfl:

ROAD TRIP!!

The van has the driver and passenger seat plus 4 rows and the 4th row is long enough for 3 people. So each row will have 2 people and the back row 3 people.

We plan to leave at 3AM Saturday morning and make it there in 18 hours or so arriving around 9PM/10PM. Check into our condo (two - 2 Bdrms - beds are important to us as well, LOL!), enjoy a week at WDW and do the same thing the following Saturday on our drive back home.

Anyone who has traveled w/ extended family let me know your thoughts. We're siblings and grew up together so we're use to being around each other and traveling together. We're a pretty tight bunch and the siblings that are traveling are low key laid back kind of people. We're leaving the troublemakers at home this trip. :rolleyes1

I'm nervous, excited and anxious about this trip. I guess you can tell since I'm sweating it 10 months in advance.

You could try two minivans with DVD entertainment systems to entertain the kids. OOOOO, or you could do a minivan and a 15 passenger van. This way the kids could be in one with the entertainment system. The 15 passenger van could be for extra luggage room. Also, if the person that got done driving wanted to sleep, they could stretch out in an entire seat of the 15 passenger van. There could be the driver and a passenger in the 15 passenger van in addition to the person (or people) sleeping.

You could try two minivans with DVD entertainment systems to entertain the kids. OOOOO, or you could do a minivan and a 15 passenger van. This way the kids could be in one with the entertainment system. The 15 passenger van could be for extra luggage room. Also, if the person that got done driving wanted to sleep, they could stretch out in an entire seat of the 15 passenger van. There could be the driver and a passenger in the 15 passenger van in addition to the person (or people) sleeping.

Hmmm 2 minivans that's a good idea and cheaper than the one 15 passenger van. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Hmmm 2 minivans that's a good idea and cheaper than the one 15 passenger van. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

I was worried about our drive and we didn't have any trouble with our DS. We drove from Justin, to Memphis, to Northern AL (to visit one of my DH's cousins), down to Tallahassee, and then to Orlando. I just wish we had known that the two screens in our mv could play two different movies at the same time. Honestly, we all enjoyed driving better. My DH and I were supposed to have gone to WDW in January for a kidless trip, but it looks like that may be pushed back to June. This is our oldest DS first year in high school and that will be right in the middle of his first season in wrestling. If, we for sure have to move back the trip, it'll be in June and we will be driving.

^^^^^^^Now that's a ROAD TRIP!

I'm trying to wrap my mind around driving straight to Orlando. I couldn't imagine any detours. LOL!

^^^^^^^Now that's a ROAD TRIP!

I'm trying to wrap my mind around driving straight to Orlando. I couldn't imagine any detours. LOL!

Well, the DH wanted to see his cousin and I wanted to get through enough of TN to add it to the list of states I've been to. We left Justin, TX at 3:30 PM and drove through to Memphis. We got drive thru food and only stopped for gas and quick potty break while gassing up. I can't remember what time we got into Memphis b/c we didn't stop there. There was a huge baseball tourny and no rooms where we tried. We ended up stopping in New Albany, MS about 2 AM.

Well the votes are in and the majority said NO WAY TO DRIVING FROM DFW TO DISNEY!! :rotfl2: I'm soooo HAPPY!! The families were the first to say NO WAY!! Phew!!! I'm so glad we're flying!!! Now I can toss all this driving information. Information download. DELETE!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter