Anyone drive from Texas to Disney World?

anolen300

Mouseketeer
Does anyone drive from TX to Disney World? This will be our 5th trip driving. Just wondering how far you usually go and where you stop if you do.
:drive:

Does anyone drive from TX to Disney World? This will be our 5th trip driving. Just wondering how far you usually go and where you stop if you do.
:drive:

We have driven about five times (we fly now though). We have started very early from the College Station area and made it to Tallahassee, spent the night and made it to the parks at opening. We also have left in the afternoon after school, stayed in Lake Charles, LA and made it to WDW in the evening (no parks time).

Those are some long rides (I know others make longer, but wow!). That's why we fly. Although, if airfare keeps going up, we may have to go back to driving, even with $4 per gallon gas. ;)

We are flying this year in June but usually drive. We are in Laredo now but last year when we drove we drove from San Antonio. We drove nonstop going leaving at 1 in the afternoon the day my son got out of school witha 6 and 4 ywear old. We ended up getting to the Orlando area by 10am and went to SeaWorld. It was a loooong trip but we did it. We prefer to drive non stop going and stop on the way back.

When we stop the half way point for us is Mobile Alabama or Biloxi Mississippi. Thats about halfway between San Antonio and Orlando.

This year we got nonstop flights from Laredo for $600 so we are flying Allegiant. Hope you have a great trip.

I have done it many times. It's just me and my daughter (dd8). We drive from Austin to Tallahassee, spend the night and then drive in to DW the next morning. Have 1/2 day at the parks. It's a long drive but we manage to make it.

The first 2 trips we did we drove non-stop. Well almost non-stop on the second one we pulled over outside Tallahassee at a rest stop and napped for an hour. Actually felt safe cause they had security at the rest stop.

Does anyone drive out of DFW area where you head into Louisiana at Shreveport? We usually cut down south out of Shreveport towards New Orleans then hit I-10. GPS keeps wanting us to go straight on 20 into Mississippi then go south. Anyone go that way? Just wondering if it's all non-stop highway or if it's one of those state highways where you go through cities and have red lights and speed limit changes.

We've driven before, stopped at Tallahassee, about 12 hour trip from the Houston area.

How fast did you drive and did you stop for meals, breaks, etc. along the way?.
We normally drive from Chicago to FL but are going to Houston first to visit family before heading to FL and are trying to figure out where to stop for the night.
Last year we did Chicago to Disney to TX and know where to stop that way but are looking for a good stopping point for our reverse triangle trip this year.

Wickey's Friend we must be neighbors! ;)

We thought about driving and have friends who have driven from here to Tallahassee. I think they stopped every few hours since they have little kids. Gas started going up so I looked for airfare that would be about the same price as us driving (plus food/hotel along the way). We're flying now, but I would like to drive one day! If I could drive there and fly home I'd do that...just depressing to think of that long drive home!!

We've driven before, stopped at Tallahassee, about 12 hour trip from the Houston area.

Same here. We are leaving on June 3rd and already have the HOJO booked.
We always drive since my autistic ds does not fly.

/although we fly now, we have taken both routes through Louisiana; straight across on I20 to Mississippi and heading south from Shreveport.

The I20 route takes you to Jackson, where you get off on a smaller road down through Hattiesburg. It's still a four lane highway, but it's not an interstate so yes, you do go through small towns with redlights.

Once in Hattiesburg, we usually take Highway 98 to Mobile. Again, I like the backroads trips. More to see!

The only thing I don't like about the south of Shreveport route is that incredibly long bridge over the swamp. Everytime we crossed it, I was praying that the car wouldn't break down :scared1:

We usually stayed in the Fort Walton Beach/Niceville area. I grew up there so it's a perfect stopover. Also let's you put your feet in the gulf :banana:

Crestview is also okay. They have a Hardee's, which is where I would get my biscuit fix. Nobody makes biscuits like Hardee's!!

Wickey's Friend we must be neighbors! ;)

We thought about driving and have friends who have driven from here to Tallahassee. I think they stopped every few hours since they have little kids. Gas started going up so I looked for airfare that would be about the same price as us driving (plus food/hotel along the way). We're flying now, but I would like to drive one day! If I could drive there and fly home I'd do that...just depressing to think of that long drive home!!

Howdy! We usually drove the whole way home each time -- DH didn't want to stop. :) It is a loooooooong way home, especially through Louisiana.

DisneyBum, I couldn't help but laught at your post. Being from the Baton Rouge area, that "long bridge over the swamp" is one of my favorite stretches of road and it's also funny to think that it isn't the longest bridge in the state of Louisiana.

On a more relavant note, we are driving from Houston to WDW in January. I am already mapping out our stops as DH and I wil be going nonstop to get there!!!

We drove from Houston last June and will be driving again in August. We left about 5:30am and drove to Ocala, arriving about 9 p.m. Stopped twice for gas and made a couple of rest stops, plus a sit-down meal. Got up early the next morning - drove for an hour and a half - and we were at EPCOT before noon. For the drive back, we made it about 1/2 way and then stopped for the night - can't remember the town. MUCH harder drive back, but sharing the driving and napping along the way helped.

We stayed at the Cabins and made our meals, so I went grocery shopping early in the morning in Ocala - cheaper prices than nearer WDW and gave me something to do while the others slept. Oh, if I could only sleep past 5!!!

(Seeing the Buc-ee's sign in Florida was funny!)

another Dis'er told me about this thread. Boy do I need help. We usually fly but with the prices going up and up I think this year we might drive. We are coming from Houston on thur June 2 my son gets out of school at 12:15. we would like to leave then but not sure if that is a good idea or what a good time to leave would be. We would like to be there for star wars weekend on friday. Any tips suggestions???? a route that works best for you? Any and all info would be great thank you.

Not sure how much help this is since we come from the dfw area but what the first trip we drove without stopping at hotel. Just pulled into rest stop outside Tallahassee and napped for couple hours. Next couple times we stopped in Gulfport cause we didn't leave till after work which was around 4 pm. That was about halfway point but we didn't like that cause it was still a long drive next day before we got to the world. Last time we left work at lunch and drove to Tallahassee. That was nice cause it's only about 4 hours till Disney World. We love driving and it's a a nice drive I think. Lol plus if u time it right can stop at the welcome center in Pensacola and get some fresh free orange juice!!

We will be making our first trip to Disney World in 11 days. Leaving from the Plano area. I had originally planned to get on 20 all the way to Jackson, then head south to Mobile. The other option appears to be to head south at Shreveport on 49, then turn east and go through Baton Rouge to Mobile.

Looking at Google maps, it appears to be a 40 mile / 15 min difference, but sometimes The Google isn't that accurate on directions.

I saw from DisneyBum303 that from Jackson to Hattiesburg, there are redlights and such, which really messes with my "hurry up and get there" frame of mind :)

The plan is to leave town on a Thursday afternoon, which should get us to Orlando right around check-in time on Friday. Has anyone made this trip recently? Any construction issues along either route? Any gnarly traffic areas during evening or morning rush hours along the way?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Jeff

We will be making our first trip to Disney World in 11 days. Leaving from the Plano area. I had originally planned to get on 20 all the way to Jackson, then head south to Mobile. The other option appears to be to head south at Shreveport on 49, then turn east and go through Baton Rouge to Mobile.

Looking at Google maps, it appears to be a 40 mile / 15 min difference, but sometimes The Google isn't that accurate on directions.

I saw from DisneyBum303 that from Jackson to Hattiesburg, there are redlights and such, which really messes with my "hurry up and get there" frame of mind :)

The plan is to leave town on a Thursday afternoon, which should get us to Orlando right around check-in time on Friday. Has anyone made this trip recently? Any construction issues along either route? Any gnarly traffic areas during evening or morning rush hours along the way?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, congrats on your trip almost being here. We have made the drive 4 times and the past 3 have did the I-20 into Shreveport then cutting down 49 to I-10 route. I was curious myself about staying on 20 into Mississippi as Google suggested then cutting down and hitting 10, but I think that way while shorter will actually end up being longer. This was the advise I received on my original question and Google street view confirmed it. While the overall route is a little shorter I think it's faster to stay on highway the whole time. The only thing I hate is that ride down 49 through Louisiana seems to take forever!

Are you driving non-stop?

The plan is to drive straight through, with my wife and I switching out at fuel/bathroom breaks. One or both of us may end up sleeping at a rest stop at some point.

My thinking was the same as yours. Even though the distance is a bit shorter going through Jackson, the addition of red lights and reduced speed limits in the towns will make the travel time longer. Granted, were probably talking about 30min extra, but faster is faster, right? ;)

Yeah that's what we say. The fastest route is the best. I get picked on from friends because we like to drive as long as we have the time. I would rather drive and get to see everything than be stuck in plane. If you have time the USS Alabama is right off I-10 and a nice attraction to stop at and take a couple hours break. I talked DW into it the first time but no more after that. Lol now she is obsessed to getting to Disney asap. Although I make her suffer through stopping in Pensacola at the rest stop so I can get pics of the Blue Angel's plane and have some of that great OJ and grapefruit juice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter