Any Canadians planning a fall 2021 trip?

Looking more and more like I need to change my Carnival cruise. I saw some guidelines posted they won't consider me fully vaxxed because I have AZ and Pfizer. Mixing Moderna and Pfizer is ok. I feel a bit defeated. I did what was recommended and now I won't be able to cruise? Well on Carnival where I have 4 cruises planned over the next two years. Royal seems to be accepting of the mixing. I guess I will have to call and see what I can do about December, and then plan a Disney trip instead, probably move flights, messy. 😞😿

Looking more and more like I need to change my Carnival cruise. I saw some guidelines posted they won't consider me fully vaxxed because I have AZ and Pfizer. Mixing Moderna and Pfizer is ok. I feel a bit defeated. I did what was recommended and now I won't be able to cruise? Well on Carnival where I have 4 cruises planned over the next two years. Royal seems to be accepting of the mixing. I guess I will have to call and see what I can do about December, and then plan a Disney trip instead, probably move flights, messy. 😞😿
They should study and then (based on study) offer anyone who had AZ and then a mRNA 2nd dose a third dose of the mRNA to please any dual shot requirements.

But yeah it sucks.

They should study and then (based on study) offer anyone who had AZ and then a mRNA 2nd dose a third dose of the mRNA to please any dual shot requirements.

But yeah it sucks.

My understanding is they have been studying mixing and it's acceptable in terms of providing immunity. As for a 3rd shot, while I'll be happy to get whatever they tell me to, and I fully expect boosters to be recommended, I find it frustrating that whole lot of Canadians are going to have difficulty because we rushed to get what was first available, as we were told to do. I hope the government will do something about it, whether in terms of the vaccine passport or whatever, but I don't feel like I can continue waiting for that when I have a trip that is going to have to be cancelled last minute. So. Proactive, I'll cancel it, try to move it, and deal with other options that may work out better for us. I just wish Disney had better availability for December as well. Even Universal seems to be full the week I was looking for.

My understanding is they have been studying mixing and it's acceptable in terms of providing immunity. As for a 3rd shot, while I'll be happy to get whatever they tell me to, and I fully expect boosters to be recommended, I find it frustrating that whole lot of Canadians are going to have difficulty because we rushed to get what was first available, as we were told to do. I hope the government will do something about it, whether in terms of the vaccine passport or whatever, but I don't feel like I can continue waiting for that when I have a trip that is going to have to be cancelled last minute. So. Proactive, I'll cancel it, try to move it, and deal with other options that may work out better for us. I just wish Disney had better availability for December as well. Even Universal seems to be full the week I was looking for.
Agreed. I had a Pfizer scheduled for Friday last week. Got there and was told it was Moderna - I am aware that you can mix the two. I just don't want any headaches with travel so opted to wait until Pfizer was available. Scheduled for next week - going to same clinic with my 12 year old for her second shot.

Again not anti-vax. Just hate the changing story based around vaccine supply.

Agreed. I had a Pfizer scheduled for Friday last week. Got there and was told it was Moderna - I am aware that you can mix the two. I just don't want any headaches with travel so opted to wait until Pfizer was available. Scheduled for next week - going to same clinic with my 12 year old for her second shot.

You’re lucky to be getting Pfizer as a second shot...around here ( Toronto - Peel) all seconds are now Moderna . I’m done ... my daughter has her second scheduled for Saturday

You’re lucky to be getting Pfizer as a second shot...around here ( Toronto - Peel) all seconds are now Moderna . I’m done ... my daughter has her second scheduled for Saturday

I’d call before I changed anything . Are we sure this is the final word ? The USA doesn’t give out AstraZeneca so it’s not in their official guidance ( and therefore mixing isn’t ) but our PM said that it’s being worked out now and won’t affect our ability to travel. There were countries like the UK that used AstraZeneca more than anything else.. are they saying they will all just be banned? I’d be shocked if this was their final official word on the situation.

I would give them a call before canceling. Maybe this is something that they haven't had to deal with yet, so they might not even know it's an issue.
Hopefully it won't be an issue for you, since everyone has been saying from the beginning that the best vaccine is the one that's available to you.

RunDisney announced the Wine and Dine half, and I really want to sign up. Everything is so expensive though, I don't know if I can justify it. But I really need a break (specially from my children, who I promise I love dearly, but after spending the last 14 days in isolation with them due to a confirmed case at my son's daycare, a break sounds amazing)

Thanks, I called and moved the cruise to Dec 2023, no penalties. I'm ok with it. I have flights to Orlando in December but will likely shorten the trip and look at when to do Disney instead. I am sad about the cruise but we have one booked for March 2022, August 2022, B2B April 2023, and now December 2023. I am sure it will all work out by the March cruise, and RCL has already said mixing is fine so I'm less worried about that. This also gives us time to get kiddo vaccinated as he would be turning 12 on the ship and obviously can't be vaccinated by then so... Disney in December... just having a hard time with hotels for when we wanted to go. But maybe getting there after his birthday will be ok any way. And we'll get to take advantage of still having Magic Express. I'm sure it will still be a great trip.

I’d call before I changed anything . Are we sure this is the final word ? The USA doesn’t give out AstraZeneca so it’s not in their official guidance ( and therefore mixing isn’t ) but our PM said that it’s being worked out now and won’t affect our ability to travel. There were countries like the UK that used AstraZeneca more than anything else.. are they saying they will all just be banned? I’d be shocked if this was their final official word on the situation.

Right now,every ruling with the cruise lines is very fluid , changing every day.... Broadway productions said they didn’t consider those with AZ shots fully vaccinated and you couldn‘t buy tickets then after consult with the WHO they reversed it. I’m sure the cruiselines will also.

Right now,every ruling with the cruise lines is very fluid , changing every day.... Broadway productions said they didn’t consider those with AZ shots fully vaccinated and you couldn‘t buy tickets then after consult with the WHO they reversed it. I’m sure the cruiselines will also.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking. With research showing that those of us who mixed AZ and an MRNA have a much stronger immune response than two doses of AZ , I can’t see a reason to rule us out . I think it will change too .

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. With research showing that those of us who mixed AZ and an MRNA have a much stronger immune response than two doses of AZ , I can’t see a reason to rule us out . I think it will change too .

I am sure they will, whether it's in time for my pay in full date was the problem, and I'm not willing to risk it right now. So... Disney instead, not totally disappointing? We will find a way to do that in December

I find it frustrating that whole lot of Canadians are going to have difficulty because we rushed to get what was first available, as we were told to do. I hope the government will do something about it, whether in terms of the vaccine passport or whatever,
I feel your pain. I'm sorry you are having to cancel your trip. The rollout of AZ was a mess and the messaging about it even worse. I'm fully vaccinated with AZ for both doses. They didn't say we could mix vaccines until after I took my second dose. I feel like our government let us down, they only wanted to get the numbers as early as possible. Now I feel like a second class citizen.

I feel your pain. I'm sorry you are having to cancel your trip. The rollout of AZ was a mess and the messaging about it even worse. I'm fully vaccinated with AZ for both doses. They didn't say we could mix vaccines until after I took my second dose. I feel like our government let us down, they only wanted to get the numbers as early as possible. Now I feel like a second class citizen.

I'm with you on this! I got my second AZ dose the day BEFORE they recommended mixing!

Currently, many EU countries are only accepting AstraZeneca from Europe, not AstraZeneca produced by the Serum Institute in India....also known as Covishield. This is the one we received in Canada.

I believe they may all be accepted down the road.... it mayjust take some time.

So frustrating for sure.

Currently, many EU countries are only accepting AstraZeneca from Europe, not AstraZeneca produced by the Serum Institute in India....also known as Covishield. This is the one we received in Canada.

I believe they may all be accepted down the road.... it mayjust take some time.

So frustrating for sure.
the AZ we received in early April at a Rexall was produced in the states. We both are still confident that we made the right decision to get the first jab available even though it's been a bit of a roller coaster due to the fact that science isn't stagnant and the studies on both the virus and vaccines are ongoing. I'm sure that by the time we travel (currently looking at early 2023 😱) booster shots will be happening.

Last edited:
the AZ we received in early April at a Rexall was produced in the states. We both are still confident that we made the right decision to get the first jab available even though it's been a bit of a roller coaster due to the fact that science isn't stagnant and the studies on both the virus and vaccines are ongoing. I'm sure that by the time we travel (currently looking at early 2023 😱) booster shots will be happening.

How do you know your dose was from the US?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter