• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Here's a crazy, sad, unexpected situation. My DD & her DH are close friends with another couple on their block, they both have two DDs close to the same age, one child shares a birthday with one of our DGDs, they are like family hanging out in each others homes. The DH of their friends passed away in his sleep last night, he was maybe 34, 35 years old. Needless to say people are freaking out and it's just awful. Our DGDs have been here most of the day and they brought their little friends over this morning so their mother could start sorting everything out with my DD & her DH there for moral support. The little girls are only 3 & 5, the mom is probably mid 30s and now all those lives are changed in an instant. My DD & son-in-law are devastated at the loss of their friend and will now have to explain to our DGDs why their little friends don't have a daddy any longer.

I know this couple & their kids through my DD, see them at daycare sometimes, we've chatted at parties at DDs house. DW & I aren't close to the couple but certainly are acquainted through their relationship with DD. At this point I have no idea about the cause of death, and maybe we'll never know. I would presume heart attack but who knows? A strange & unhappy day in this corner of ALDIO today.:sad2:

I'm late seeing this, but I wanted to say how sorry I am this happened. I hope the wife and children find comfort in the company of your daughter and her family.

It's great to see this thread again. I stopped receiving notifications for it for some reason, so I've had much to catch up on. It's always nice to "see" you lovely people. :wave2:

Hey TS, good to see you again! I thought we'd lost you! Now we need October Beauty to return, and of course all others are invited. @leebee thanks for checking in again.
if we're showing each other things.....I think there should be pics!!!!

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought something similar earlier in the thread, but as the sole male citizen of ALDIO (at least I think so) I thought I should be on my best behavior. It's not that good but I try. ;)

Story to share...A couple of years ago DW & I were at WDW, DD was to be in charge of coming by to check our cat once a day. DD lives literally 4 minutes down the road and it's no biggie for her to drop by and look in on Thistle. One morning she comes in to find carnage...our cat has found a baby bunny (wild), slaughtered it and has dragged it in to our house to show off the spoils of her efforts. Well this would be the morning that DD brings our two DGDs along (2.5 and 4 at the time) Those two certainly didn't need to see that, but it is what it is. DD called a college age neighbor next door to come clean up. The two DGDs STILL talk about the cat killing the bunny, I'm pretty sure they'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

Fast forward to 2017 and Thistle, at age 11, basically stays in the house most of the time. She'll go out on the front porch for a few minutes, but she's basically an indoor cat. For a few days Thistle has been acting like she wants to go outside for a few minutes, we hold the front door open to let her out, but she turns around and rejects the notion of going out. Today DW and a DGD discover that there's a baby bunny under a shrub right by our front porch steps. We'll be keeping the kitty in til further notice. :)

Hey TS, good to see you again! I thought we'd lost you! Now we need October Beauty to return, and of course all others are invited. @leebee thanks for checking in again.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought something similar earlier in the thread, but as the sole male citizen of ALDIO (at least I think so) I thought I should be on my best behavior. It's not that good but I try. ;)

Story to share...A couple of years ago DW & I were at WDW, DD was to be in charge of coming by to check our cat once a day. DD lives literally 4 minutes down the road and it's no biggie for her to drop by and look in on Thistle. One morning she comes in to find carnage...our cat has found a baby bunny (wild), slaughtered it and has dragged it in to our house to show off the spoils of her efforts. Well this would be the morning that DD brings our two DGDs along (2.5 and 4 at the time) Those two certainly didn't need to see that, but it is what it is. DD called a college age neighbor next door to come clean up. The two DGDs STILL talk about the cat killing the bunny, I'm pretty sure they'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

Fast forward to 2017 and Thistle, at age 11, basically stays in the house most of the time. She'll go out on the front porch for a few minutes, but she's basically an indoor cat. For a few days Thistle has been acting like she wants to go outside for a few minutes, we hold the front door open to let her out, but she turns around and rejects the notion of going out. Today DW and a DGD discover that there's a baby bunny under a shrub right by our front porch steps. We'll be keeping the kitty in til further notice. :)

Cute story but the kitty's name is even cuter. I love Thistle!!! :)

Here's my animal story:

Years ago on Christmas morning we awoke to see that our dog at the time had dragged up a deer carcass from the woods! Well DH had to go into speed mode to remove that carcass so that the boys wouldn't think our dog got one of Santa's reindeer!!! I still think to this day I have never seen DH move so fast....ever!!! :rotfl: :santa:

Cute story but the kitty's name is even cuter. I love Thistle!!! :)

Here's my animal story:

Years ago on Christmas morning we awoke to see that our dog at the time had dragged up a deer carcass from the woods! Well DH had to go into speed mode to remove that carcass so that the boys wouldn't think our dog got one of Santa's reindeer!!! I still think to this day I have never seen DH move so fast....ever!!!

:rotfl2: THAT is CLASSIC! On any other day maybe not a big deal, but Christmas Morning?????????????

Backstory on Thistle: We were looking for a Disney name when we got her as a kitten and I was going through a book about Disney animation in which they recounted some of the basic storylines of some of the Disney movie classics. In the section on Sleeping Beauty they were describing how Prince Phillip was battling the dragon (Maleficent) and struck the dragon down in the "thorns and thistle." Hence "Thistle" was named.:cat:

Can I join in? I just checked Nextdoor and there's a literally a wild goose chase going on down the street in our town. They posted online because they needed help catching a goose that has an injured wing so they could take it to the town pond. It's getting dark and they were afraid the goose would get run over or get into an altercation with a horse if someone decided to ride their horse down the street.

Just remember, Ned Flanders did not tell you. :D

For the longest time I thought your screen name meant you were "Newfoundlanders" ;)

Good luck leebee. Let us know how you come out. My dh and sons built the doghouse base today but my dh now thinks the wood he bought for roof support posts aren't beefy enough so he's gone back to the drawing board.

My husband says a home project is NEVER complete without three trips to Lowe's/Home Depot!!
We did OK with the storm. We had about 30 minutes of complete deluge, but no hail and the wind wasn't too bad. We're looking at a lovely week ahead: Upper 70s (F) and low 80s and sunny, right through to the 19th until we leave on vacation. It's summer and we're both teachers (although DH is at the college level and dept. chair so he has to touch base daily), so it looks like we might get the front porch finished and maybe even get the back deck painted before we leave. WOW! That's almost the entire summer "honey-do" list!

Last edited:
Can I join in?

You should totally be here! Hope your neighborhood goose remains safe(not that I haven't eaten pate--still don't want to see one get run over.) I was up around 6am a couple of days ago taking a walk along a creek & wooded area and heard the strangest noises. After a few seconds I realized it was geese! They were honkin' ;)

^ Or, Cuba before the cruise ships are not going there any longer, :rolleyes1 What do you other Aldios think? :)
Prices are pretty ridiculous for every itinerary I've seen that includes Cuba - especially given that they're all priced in USD and exchange is a blood-bath right now. If you really want to see Cuba I'd suggest an AI would be a much better value. (Apologies in advance Aldio'ers :blush: ), that will change when and if American citizens get the OK to go there.

I'm curious about all your references to your Baker's Cyst. What kind of symptoms is it causing you? I have one too - a big one in my left knee. Other than an unpleasant tightness, which is made worse in hot weather like we're having now, and a bit of a twinge going down stairs, it's far from debilitating. :wave2:

@jevs I was afraid we'd lost you Jo! Good to see you again. We've got a pretty good run of highs in the 90s which means if I'm going to get in my daily walk I'm up before 6AM to walk in relative comfort. I'm not making any snarky comments about the lack of trip reports because I didn't file a report on our WDW trip a couple of months ago. Of course you all know what WDW is like, but being held captive in an exotic place like Barcelona would make a much more intriguing story...if anything like that has ever happened to anyone around here.:scratchin:teeth:

Can't lose me. I am the gift that keeps on gifting :smokin:

Haha - you show me yours; I'll show you mine!

Nice to see both Jevs and you, Ronandannette, back on our ALDIO thread. And if we're showing each other things.....I think there should be pics!!!! :rotfl:

You want pictures - for a limited time only (please do not quote pics in quotes - thanks).

Where in the world are jevs and co?

upload_2017-7-9_13-20-25.jpeg

Nice to see both Jevs and you, Ronandannette, back on our ALDIO thread. And if we're showing each other things.....I think there should be pics!!!! :rotfl:
:confused3Remind me how to upload them again and I'll get you some asap!!

Can I join in? I just checked Nextdoor and there's a literally a wild goose chase going on down the street in our town. They posted online because they needed help catching a goose that has an injured wing so they could take it to the town pond. It's getting dark and they were afraid the goose would get run over or get into an altercation with a horse if someone decided to ride their horse down the street.

That sounds like my kind of town! We even have a couple of horses and some chickens, so we might fit in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter