Am I the only one who DOESN'T care about free dining?

Free dining for those of us with a bigger family (3kids) is a great value. We are currently planning a trip for June off-site (for the first time :sad1:). We are only planning 3 TS meals for our entire trip. After adding up the amount we are spending for food, including eating breakfast in our room, and taking into account that our room is $68/night, we are coming out the same or very close to the amount we would pay to stay on-site in Sept/Oct and have 6 days of dining. That would be 6TS, 6CS, and 6 snacks per person! The ONLY reason we are not coming back for free dining is the dates. We cannot take the kids out of school again this year, we just took them out last year for 3days for Disney!
*Also, in November, we got a free dining code with our Disney Visa card. We saved a total of $850.00 on our trip! We swapped from the 40% off Code we began with because it saved us $200 more than the 40%off code. Now, my parents, who were only paying for 2 adults, got a better deal keeping the 40%off code. So, it all depends on the makeup of your family.

I *loved* Free Dining when it included appetizers and gratuity! It was the best deal I ever experienced on Disney property. I used it in 2006 and 2007.

I had booked FD bounceback for Oct 2009, but when I got a 40% off PIN I cancelled.

Without appetizers and gratuity I really don't see it as "Free" anymore. My family and I eat at 2 or 3 signatures per trip, practically no QS (just Wolfgang Puck Express and Flame Tree BBQ) and a lot of TS lunches, so it isn't the best value for us. We are annual passholders too, so having to add MYW tickets is a hassel. We use TIW (silly name! I liked DDE better) and still find it worthwhile. For anyone interested, it IS possible to have the mandatory 18% gratuity waved, our favorite server at the California Grill (Ron) did this. He explained that they HATE forcing a gratuity, something that is intended to be at the diners discretion. We tipped him more than 18% because his service is exceptional, but it IS possible to remove the mandatory TIW gratuity.

I'm thrilled with my "deals" for this year!

May 30th - June 3rd - CSR Standard View w/ AP rate $434 ($108/night)

Sept 24th - 29th - Poly Garden View Club Level w/ 40% PIN $1620 ($324/night)

Sept 29th - Oct 3rd - CSR Standard View w/ 40% off PIN $434 ($108/night)

In total we have saved nearly $2000! :scared1::woohoo::yay:

OP I am with you. I have no desire to use the dining plan. I certainly would not pay for it. I acknowledge that there would be SOME value to free dining, but I would value it less than Disney does because of how we normally eat. I actually prefer to go when there is NOT free dining, because it is a little easier to get ADRs. I also normally prefer NOT to have a package so it can be paid when I check in, like every other hotel. The 4/3 deal was enough to encourage me to get a package.

Free Dining Help!

I'm afraid I'm going to join this group of people unexcited about free dining!

I'm trying to book a table service at Magic Kingdom on 9/20 and nothing is available. I'd like around 8:30pm and couldn't care less how superb or not the restaurant is.

We arrive late on 9/19 so there's no way we can have dinner that first night.
9/20 Lunch at Tusker House around noon in AK
9/21 Princess Lunch at Akershus around 3pm in Epcot
9/22 Garden Grove at Swan & Dolphin
9/23 Going home day - no reservations before 9:30am available

Anybody an expert at booking free dining table services?

Free Dining Help!

I'm afraid I'm going to join this group of people unexcited about free dining!

I'm trying to book a table service at Magic Kingdom on 9/20 and nothing is available. I'd like around 8:30pm and couldn't care less how superb or not the restaurant is.

We arrive late on 9/19 so there's no way we can have dinner that first night.
9/20 Lunch at Tusker House around noon in AK
9/21 Princess Lunch at Akershus around 3pm in Epcot
9/22 Garden Grove at Swan & Dolphin
9/23 Going home day - no reservations before 9:30am available

Anybody an expert at booking free dining table services?

There is a Sept ADR Cancel/Swap thread over on the dining board. You may be able to find something over there. Another thought, have you considered a table service at one of the MK resorts? MUCH better options and they are a quick monorail ride away.

After a long family discussion, we decided to dump the free dining for an offsite condo. Trying to get ADRs was tough, plus I just don't know what I am hungry for 2 months from now. Paying tips on overpriced food equals what I can get for a comparable meal offsite. My park days no longer have "appointments" set for meals. I can eat what I want, when I want it.

I actually felt relief when the phone call was placed to cancel the package.

We figure to save several hundreds of dollars too.

There is a Sept ADR Cancel/Swap thread over on the dining board. You may be able to find something over there. Another thought, have you considered a table service at one of the MK resorts? MUCH better options and they are a quick monorail ride away.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that particular thread. Also, we're going to Animal Kingdom in the morning and to MK that evening for EMH so I'm trying to have dinner in the park to save time. Good suggestion though!

After a long family discussion, we decided to dump the free dining for an offsite condo. Trying to get ADRs was tough, plus I just don't know what I am hungry for 2 months from now. Paying tips on overpriced food equals what I can get for a comparable meal offsite. My park days no longer have "appointments" set for meals. I can eat what I want, when I want it.

I actually felt relief when the phone call was placed to cancel the package.

We figure to save several hundreds of dollars too.

If a 40% pin magically appeared in my email box, I'd be dropping free dining like hot cakes for that instead. I understand well why you made the decision you did.

Can I trade my table service for a counter service? I'd rather eat at the counter than have 4 long sit-down meals. I think I just read that Value recipients get free QS (counter service) for their stay. I wish we had gone with Pop like I wanted to, but my dfiance wanted the tropical CBR. Come to think of it, I don't think during my time they offer the counter service free dining for Values anyway.

We tried the DDP back in 2007 and although it saved us money on TS meals, we ended up with almost all of our snack credits still available at the end of the trip. At that time, the tip was included so even still, it was worth the money. There were 4 adults on this trip.

When DBF and I went back last March, it no longer included a tip and it no longer included desert. We are not big on appetizers but we love dessert so with both of those perks gone, it just wasn't worth it. This trip, there was only the 2 of us.

As it turns out, we ate far less when it was just the two of us and we saved about $200 by NOT getting the DDP.

On that note...when they released the Free Dining code a couple of weeks ago, I did try to get in on that because it's FREE. So if we didn't use all of the credits it's not big deal. But we have a room only reservation, not a package, so I couldn't get it.

When DBF and I went back last March, it no longer included a tip and it no longer included desert. We are not big on appetizers but we love dessert so with both of those perks gone, it just wasn't worth it. This trip, there was only the 2 of us.

I think the dining plan always included dessert? They eliminated the appetizers.:confused3

I think the dining plan always included dessert? They eliminated the appetizers.:confused3

Maybe I did confuse that LOL I have a terrible memory... OH I remember now! We talked about how sometimes we would rather have an appetizer instead of dessert and that we felt they should let you pick which one you wanted. We opted to not go for it last year to compare 2007 to 2008, and found that we saved money by not getting it.

Sorry...seriously REALLY bad memory and I often confuse my thoughts LOL

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that particular thread. Also, we're going to Animal Kingdom in the morning and to MK that evening for EMH so I'm trying to have dinner in the park to save time. Good suggestion though!

We do this a lot but we use the resort to transfer. On our second night of park going, we have an ADR for The Wave at 5:30PM so we're planning on going from AK directly to CR then when we're done with The Wave, we can just walk right over to MK. No matter if you are going to a resort in between, driving or taking a bus from another park, you will still have to transfer at a given point when going to MK.

In 2008 they cut out the tip and the appetizer. The dessert has always been, and still is, included in the dining plan.

Maybe I did confuse that LOL I have a terrible memory... OH I remember now! We talked about how sometimes we would rather have an appetizer instead of dessert and that we felt they should let you pick which one you wanted. We opted to not go for it last year to compare 2007 to 2008, and found that we saved money by not getting it.

Sorry...seriously REALLY bad memory and I often confuse my thoughts LOL

No worries. I just turned 40:scared: in June so you had me doubting MY memory. :laughing: And for what it is worth, I totally agree with you. Dh and I always say we wish they would give the choice of appetizer or dessert. :)

We could care less about free dining. We want and need a 4/3 or 40% offer for April!!!!

we have never gotten free dining. but i think we would rather do the discount on the room. we are fine with that. i dont even know what i will have for dinner tomorrow night let alone 30 or 80 days from now...ha ha. but maybe we would try it someday if we had the chance.

We never get the dining plan - "free" or not. We always stay at the Beach Club and the 40% PIN is a great savings. Dining plan just does not work for us. We eat out very differently than the plan supports. Sometimes multiple apps and a bottle of wine. We never get desert at dinner. TiW works great for us since we can eat however and whenever we want and get a 20% discount on everything we order. Plus I do not like to be tied down to an ADR. If we like where we are (even if it is the room or the pool) we will skip an ADR an we can do that since we have not pre-paid for our meals. I like options and the DDP just does not give me enough. It is just the way we like to vacation!

Glad it works so well for others.
Teresa

I feel like such an oddball. I have no desire to do the dining plan at Disney, even for free. I've seen so many people have issues with what they have left, what they've used, not understanding how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that so many people can take advantage of it. I'm just wondering if I'm all alone in my little world.:rolleyes1

No, you're not alone. I liked the old dining plan that included appetizers and tip, but I'm not at all interested in the current plan. I don't do dessert, don't do TS every day, and don't like the beverages at CS locations - I'm happy with ice water (free) at CS meals.

I would spend more on average for the DDP than if I paid OOP. Also, I'm not feeding a family. I usually travel with only one other adult, and stay at WL, so the "savings" on "free" dining is often not as good as a tasty room discount might be.

For me Free Dining means I don't really have to worry about making sure I am willing to fork out extra money to feed everyone on the trip. Plus I have a dairy allergy and they do lots of things to make it look like I am eating just like the others. And I stay in the Values because the room just needs to be clean and comfortable. I realize the food is overpriced, but have you been to a fair lately? I paid 6.50 for a stupid elephant ear. Which is more expensive? I've done the numbers and fairs can cost as much or more then Disney if you want to go for a long time, although hw many times can you watch them milk the cows?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter