Am I the only one who DOESN'T care about free dining?

I no longer want FD either. It was great for the first few years when appy's and grats were included, but now even the snack options have been whittled down to a few choices we don't want, milkshakes are no longer considered a "beverage", and on and on. We had a dinner at Crystal Palace and the grats were more than I'd have spent on a CS meal for food that we weren't really hungry for, and my kids won't stuff themselves just to get their money's worth. One son ate a small salad and some mac and cheese only, and he's in his 20's....for $32.00 plus tip. It really is no longer "free" when you add up the gratuities and I don't skimp on them as that's not fair to the server. I guess if we'd never experienced the original DDP then it wouldn't be so hard to accept the changes, but unless things change back, we'll never do FD again. We are DVC members too with plenty of points but we booked between 10-14 additional nights cash at Disney with FD- no more. We'll do CS, cook some meals in the room, or grab something off-site vs. struggle to get ADR's and pay OOP for grats on the "free" dining, and save lots of money.---Kathy

I love the dining plan. It always saves a ton of money! We eat at our favorite restaraunts and get to just leave a tip before leaving! This year we are going to get free dining and a room discount! So excited! Our trip is December 06-13.

I feel like such an oddball. I have no desire to do the dining plan at Disney, even for free. I've seen so many people have issues with what they have left, what they've used, not understanding how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that so many people can take advantage of it. I'm just wondering if I'm all alone in my little world.:rolleyes1

no, I do not eat anything in restaurants. at the most a baked potato or a breakfast.
That is why I like to do a villa, I can cook my own weird way!! and I could not even eat a meal they offer, way to big! and when I do order it is a kids meal.(breakfast)

This is our fourth consecutive year at the BWI. Every year I make the numbers to evaluate the benefit of the DDP and always come up with the same conclusions Here are my thoughts:

The "free dining" offer is only actually "free" when there is no other room discount availabe to alternatively choose from. If this is the case for you, take it because it is "really free"... end of discussion.

But, if you can choose from a room discount or free dining, then it is not really free isn't it... the dollar saving from the room discount is the actual cost of the dining plan.

If after doing the math using the actual cost of the plan (as stated above) the FD still yields a better value, consider the following:

1) Loss of flexibility: the FD option actually forces you to stick to your ADR's. If you are someplace else far away and decide to skip your ADR, you will have to eat at a counter service place at your expense since you will most likely cannot be seated at a table service restaurant on the spot. If this happens more than once, then maybe the payback of the FD is lost. I have found very difficult to replace lost ADR's when at the parks. Plus it creates stress (and it does not make sense, funwise) to have to modify your park schedule just not to lose your credits if you missed an ADR.

2) Your young kids will have to eat from the children menu, (this is the real dealbreaker for us) which in most cases are very limited to "kid friendly" options (a.k.a fried stuff, mac&chesse, and the like). If your kids like to eat and try real food, they will be out of luck, specially at Epcot restaurants where part of the fun is to experience food from other countries.

These are my 2 cents.

This is our fourth consecutive year at the BWI. Every year I make the numbers to evaluate the benefit of the DDP and always come up with the same conclusions Here are my thoughts:

The "free dining" offer is only actually "free" when there is no other room discount availabe to alternatively choose from. If this is the case for you, take it because it is "really free"... end of discussion.

But, if you can choose from a room discount or free dining, then it is not really free isn't it... the dollar saving from the room discount is the actual cost of the dining plan.

If after doing the math using the actual cost of the plan (as stated above) the FD still yields a better value, consider the following:

1) Loss of flexibility: the FD option actually forces you to stick to your ADR's. If you are someplace else far away and decide to skip your ADR, you will have to eat at a counter service place at your expense since you will most likely cannot be seated at a table service restaurant on the spot. If this happens more than once, then maybe the payback of the FD is lost. I have found very difficult to replace lost ADR's when at the parks. Plus it creates stress (and it does not make sense, funwise) to have to modify your park schedule just not to lose your credits if you missed an ADR.

2) Your young kids will have to eat from the children menu, (this is the real dealbreaker for us) which in most cases are very limited to "kid friendly" options (a.k.a fried stuff, mac&chesse, and the like). If your kids like to eat and try real food, they will be out of luck, specially at Epcot restaurants where part of the fun is to experience food from other countries.

These are my 2 cents.

The cost difference may be true of the deluxe resorts, but for the Values, the FD is worth more than the difference in the discount/rack rate. We stayed at ASMu last fall for $82 (plus tax) per night and had dining for 3 of us (all adult meals) The AP rate was 54/night but no way could we get all that food for the difference ($28 per night). We spent more than that just with 1 CS and 1 Snack per day. I know it's a pain with the reservations and yes, most likely we wouldn't purchase a dessert but for 28/day feeding 3 adults, we couldn't do that at a MicDonalds.

We do this a lot but we use the resort to transfer. On our second night of park going, we have an ADR for The Wave at 5:30PM so we're planning on going from AK directly to CR then when we're done with The Wave, we can just walk right over to MK. No matter if you are going to a resort in between, driving or taking a bus from another park, you will still have to transfer at a given point when going to MK.

I guess DFiance was hoping to rest at resort (CBR) before heading to another park, otherwise your idea of a meal break at a monorail resort is great!

We just got back from our First Free Dining trip. We have done the DDP on each of previous trips but this was the first "Free" trip and we absolutely loved it. Both of our DDs now qualify as Adults on the plan and for us we saved us almost $1300. Thats an incredible amount of savings. We also booked our Dec. Free Dining Trip prior to our trip in Aug. hoping to enjoy it. Well we liked it so much, we booked another on the Bounce Back offer for 10 days next Aug. We are so excited and just love the DDP and getting it for Free makes it all the more better!!!:love:

PHEW!!! Just read through this entire thread & I'm more confused than ever. I have awesome (I think) adr's & looking forward to the "experience". No, I wouldn't do this OOP necessarily but for "free" I'll try it.

I can def see how adr's could cramp our touring plan in the parks, but hopefully I've accounted for/offset that by the times I booked them. A room discount would only be $110.00 and I'm not sure that our family (myself, DH, DS12 & DS10) could eat for that much OOP---it'd be close.

Maybe the 40% DX CL, susidized with a lil munchies in the lounge & then OOP???:confused3 Of course, then we're paying more for a room too...

I dunno, it's all so confusing my head is spinning! :yo-yo:

The cost difference may be true of the deluxe resorts, but for the Values, the FD is worth more than the difference in the discount/rack rate. We stayed at ASMu last fall for $82 (plus tax) per night and had dining for 3 of us (all adult meals) The AP rate was 54/night but no way could we get all that food for the difference ($28 per night). We spent more than that just with 1 CS and 1 Snack per day. I know it's a pain with the reservations and yes, most likely we wouldn't purchase a dessert but for 28/day feeding 3 adults, we couldn't do that at a MicDonalds.

Exactly! That's exactly the point many of us are trying to make. You need to run the numbers to see if "Free Dining" is really the best value you can get.

It depends on what other room discounts you can get, the "level" of the resort you're staying at, and how much you would pay OOP for any food that might be covered by the plan. For me that would only be the entree and beverage (if I don't order an adult beverage) at a TS and a combo with no beverage or dessert at a CS.

It just seems like a lot of people hear "Free dining" and think they're getting a great bargain. Many do, but some do not.

We are doing "free" dining in Sept. We have four adults and a 2 year old in a value room. The room is $102 per night after the charge for additional adults. Our dining would have cost $160. If we could get a 40% off code (which we've never gotten), it would save us $40 per night. There is no way I could feed 4 adults at Disney on $40 a day.

The food isn't the world's greatest, but it is quite edible and I'll take it. We do lots of character meals because my 2 year old likes them (and they are mostly buffets, so she eats free and can get whatever she wants). We are also doing three things that are 2 TS (Safari Celebration--we are part of a grand gathering, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Hoop De Doo Review). I would never have paid OOP for these so they are a nice bonus for us.

We are doing the free dining and it is the pin we wanted the most. I think it depends what you plan on doing. We went to Disney last year and opted not to get the dining and for the 2 of us we spent about $600 on food over 10 days and only 2 meals were at restaurants. This trip before even getting the free dining offer we decided we would pay for the dining package. So we were very happy to get a free dining pin because it saves us $880 for our 11 nights. We did have 40% off originally but it was still cheaper with the free dining when we had a 7 night package booked. We also then added 4 nights after which were outside the window on the 40% so another way it is a huge savings for us.

We are doing "free" dining in Sept. We have four adults and a 2 year old in a value room. The room is $102 per night after the charge for additional adults. Our dining would have cost $160. If we could get a 40% off code (which we've never gotten), it would save us $40 per night. There is no way I could feed 4 adults at Disney on $40 a day.

The food isn't the world's greatest, but it is quite edible and I'll take it. We do lots of character meals because my 2 year old likes them (and they are mostly buffets, so she eats free and can get whatever she wants). We are also doing three things that are 2 TS (Safari Celebration--we are part of a grand gathering, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Hoop De Doo Review). I would never have paid OOP for these so they are a nice bonus for us.

This another situation which is perfect example of when and why free dining works. If a guest is staying in a value resort during the free dining promo..it makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure you save a good chunk of change with the free dining.
The value of free dining decreases if a guest is staying in a Deluxe resort (which is our preference) and paying full rack rate. This is why I would prefer to visit when there isn't a free dining promo. Which is getting more difficult with their extending the free dining promotion for a longer period each year.
It's been to our advantage to find a good discount code for the room. We have even added the dining (not free) to that code, and still came out a head. I've been lucky enough to have never stayed in Disney and paid full rack rate. Our last trip while we had an AP discount on a room at the Poly..we opted not to add dining as we're not happy with the change to the plan. It was a better value for us when it included the appetizer and gratuity. Since the change to the plan.. we have used our Tables in Wonderland card for the 20 percent discount, and found that to be a better value in our particular situation.
It really all depends on how and where you plan to stay. The free dining with staying in a value resort makes sense. You have to think twice about what is really free if you're staying in a deluxe resort. Certainly isn't free if you're paying full rack rate. While most of us here on the dis know this..I do agree with others who have posted that some guests (in particular first timers) simply here "free" and are under the impression they are cashing in on a great deal...when in fact, it may be just the opposite. Ya gotta do your homework and run the numbers when it comes to a Disney vacation.

It honestly is not my favorite but we use it once. It does save money. But we took the room onlty discount at the AKL instead and will pay for our food. But on the other hand we can get the whole package deal and stay at the ASMu siutes for the price of the AKL and our tickets would be included. So it would work out free for us. But I would rather stay at the AKL. But we like eating at the RFC and T-rex yes those meal run me around 100.00 per a visit.I order GC for those meals before we leave. Plus we do CP once for breakfest and we may eat a boma's for dinner. But on vacation we eat a lot of junk instead of meals funnel cake,dole whips ect.

We have never been able to take advantage of the free dining either no pin code or just not our dates. But i don't think it would really be for us though we don't really eat that much when we go. Each time we might have breakfast a time or two and eat at rainforest, but other than that we just grab something quick and most of the time we share something.

Wow realizing that this is page 13 or so of this thread and probably nobody will notice this...but In response to this kind of topic, I did some analysis of the current offer, thinking it woudl follow the traditional logic. It doesn't. If your family is of the correct makeup - say two adults and two juoniors - the maximum value of free dining - then the current free diing offer is better than the current room only discount at the deluxes.

If you choose it or not is totally up to you, and I understand folks have different desires, but here's some numbers:

For a family of four: two adults, two teens:

BC with water view, Nov 8 for six nights, DDP, 7day MYW tickets with hopping and waterparks
rack rate: $5,500.

Same thing no dining: $4,540 ($960 difference)
Same options and resort but with free dining offer $4540
Same options, including DDP, but using current room discount offer: $4751 ($124/day)
Same options as above, room discount, no dining, and getting tickets via Disney (you could save a little buying tickets froma broker):$3791

Same family, dates at ASSp standard room:

Rack rates: $3073 (with DDP), $ 2833(with QS DDP)
Rack, no dining: $2113
Free dining offer:$2353 (DDP), $2113 (QS DDP = free)*
Same otions w/room discount:$2863 (reg DDP) $2623 (QS DDP)
Same options, room discount, no DDP: $1903

*the discount you get is equal in value to the QS DDP at a value, you are paying the difference in price between the two plans if you pick regular DDP.

So the current room only discount for BC, in this case would be $750.
Using Free dining :$960 - the cost of free dining. (Often these numbers are reversed,and the room only discount is bigger)

At the values, the current free dining off is for the price of QS DDP (the aug/sept offer was for th regular DDP, so a bigger discount).
So the difference is $720, using free dining offer.
The current room only discount is $210 at a value.

One more bit to chew on - when you pick different offers, the default add ons change as well.

Free dining isn't free. It's a PITA with all the restaurants packed and the hotels filled up to near capacity. I made the mistake on going from 8/17-8/22 at the beginning of free dining last week (booked this as a last minute trip and didn't check if any promos were running) and was SHOCKED to find out I was right in the thick of FD. As you entered the parks, you'd see a sign at guest relations advising you that all table service was booked solid and gave you alternatives to QS places that may/may not be jam packed. Went into Cosmic Rays for lunch (again, forgot about FD) and it took 45 minutes just to find a place to sit. You had to be constantly moving and hovering around like a buzzard waiting to find your prey (an open table, in this case LOL). I hate FD and was floored when they extended FD into my beloved first 2 weeks of December.:mad::mad::mad: Come Monday (tomorrow) I gotta make ressies as soon as they open to guarantee I can at least get something I want before the free dining whord swoops down and swallows every possible available restaurant remaining. 40% off is WAY better than FD, at least for my family it is.

Here's a copy & paste of one of my recent posts on this issue:

Since I have an AP, my thoughts on FD is that "Free dining isn't really free!", at least not for us. Somewhere on here I have an example as to the price difference between our upcoming stay in November/December at AKL with and without FD. I'd rather have a 40% discount on a Deluxe room than I would FD. BTW, we're paying $139.00 a night at AKL so for my 7 day trip i'm saving over $700.00. We just got back from a 5 day trip last week and we only spent $197.00 on food and that was eating 1 table service and 1 quick service meal each day. Of course, that is with a TIW card but that really only saves you the price of the tip - it doesn't really save alot of money on the meal itself (20% off the meal, but they add an 18% gratuity to every ticket - which we always do anyway).

This is why free dining isn't free for ME:

my trip at AKL for 7 days:

With AP rate: $938.00 including tax
With FD: $1863.00 including tax - also includes 1 day base ticket for each of us (3) - It would be $2634.00 with 6 day base tickets

room #2 ASMo (for in-laws) LOL

With AP rate: $338.00 including tax
With FD: $786.27 including tax w/1 day base tickets - It would be $1241.02 w/tax with 6 day base tickets

Room #1 savings: $1696 w/6 day tickets or $925.00 w/1 day tickets (we haven't spent that much on food in 3 trips)
Room #2 savings: $903.02 w/6 day tickets or $448.27 w/1 day tickets (these are only QS meals; can't eat $450.00 in QS meals - unless I eat for 2 weeks at Flame Tree BBQ YUMMY)

Please note that all of these figures are for MY family and YMMV. That's why I can say FD isn't free, for me.

Auntie was right on previous page. FD is good if you stay at a Value, but isn't as great with the new QS dining plan. For my family, it's not a good deal - far from it. Being AP holders makes this not a good deal for us, and maybe most other AP holders with my size family. I've done all the numbers crunching a myriad of times to show that it simply doesn't work for us. For those that it works for and for those that believe it works for them, great. And before someone (FD supporter) tries to rationalize this for me, please don't. DW and I share all of our plates as we can't eat 1 full meal without leaving alot of food left over on each plate. We learned this from our first 2 trips to WDW, so from that point on we share everything. That's 1 of our key secrets to saving money without sacrificing on any of our meals.

But on the other hand we can get the whole package deal and stay at the ASMu siutes for the price of the AKL and our tickets would be included. So it would work out free for us.

I beg to differ with you on this. You are moving from a deluxe resort to a value. Nothing wrong with values. It's not "free" even if you want to think of it that way. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The free dining plan is almost always a great deal if you are staying at a value. For people staying elsewhere I will say it again:

You need to run the numbers based on your group make-up and what you are likely to eat.

If you're a family of 4 staying at a value it's almost certainly a great deal. If you're a single or couple staying at a deluxe it may not be the best value.

I'm just concerned that "free dining" may eventually become the predominate discount WDW offers. It would not be a good deal for me or others like me (singles or couples who like to stay at deluxe resorts).

I'm really trying to follow all of the logistics here, but it's a lot to rap around my tiny mind.

The room discount is only about $110.00 at a dx no matter what the rack rate---the 40% CL is a lil better, but then it's more $$$ overall!? But I guess you get a few snax/goodies...

We're a family of 4 (DH, myself & two sons ages 10 & 12); so, is it even possible to eat for less than $100 bucks a day at Disney. I'm guessing maybe if we shared meals and bought snax for our room???:confused3

I like the idea of "free dining" but HATE the idea of being tied to a ressy & IF I can't/don't make it, I'm just heck out of luck===then where is the "value"? I guess I'm just a lil emotionally "tied" to my ressies at this point. The funny thing is, I was joking with my husband a few mos. ago about 'wouldn't it be funny if Disney came out with a room discount AFTER we made a bunch of dining plans and got "attached" to them!!!' :rotfl:

Having never been to Disney it's all very overwhelming and the whole "free dining" or room discount just gives me one more variable to put into the equation. :confused:

Hmmmm...being a person who has on occasion taken advantage of "Free Dining"...I like it. However, I also would (and have) choose to take advantage of the 4/3 deal. It allowed me to stay at a deluxe resort and purchase the deluxe dining plan. I REALLY liked having the best of all worlds (IMHO)!!!

If all I had as an option was free dining and I had a large family (I don't...just me and dd7), it is a wonderful way not to have to cut corners when eating! There are also so many different dining plans to pick from...and yes, I have done the basid dining plan and then moved on to deluxe (but it is not for everyone).

End result...the Free Dining is a draw, but not as much as the 4/3 deal that I had. However, if I could swing a mini trip in between and it was during free dining...I'm totally there!!! :rotfl2:

I'm really trying to follow all of the logistics here, but it's a lot to rap around my tiny mind.

The room discount is only about $110.00 at a dx no matter what the rack rate---the 40% CL is a lil better, but then it's more $$$ overall!? But I guess you get a few snax/goodies...

We're a family of 4 (DH, myself & two sons ages 10 & 12); so, is it even possible to eat for less than $100 bucks a day at Disney. I'm guessing maybe if we shared meals and bought snax for our room???

I sort of priced it out, using menus from All Ears - so maybe really recent price increases aren't included. I looked at whether a $75 discount amount per day would cover food. Here's what I came up with:

For $75, you COULD get:
four breakfast platters at the ASSp QS food court(different resorts have different prices for this type of meal: eggs, meat, toast). No drinks.
Four double cheeseburgers at Starlight Rays Cafe. No drinks.

Then you have about $15 to put towards a third meal. For about that price you could split two QS meals among four people or have a snack item in the $3.50 price range per person.

So if you figure $100, then yeah, you could do QS eating in the price range.

If you start talking Table service, not really. There's a few places that offer TS meals at close to QS prices: The Plaza's sandwich menu comes to mind. The GF Cafe, if you stick to lower priced menu options also comes to mind.

If you add in alcohol the budget gets totally shot very rapidly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter