A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Oh no! What an awful start! I can't imagine spending all that time in an airport with a toddler! And poor David and that ballgame! That luggage fiasco would have sent me over the deep end ... hours of looking only to be told that you didn't fill out a request (that nobody told you needed to be filled out ...)!!!

A cancellation is something I'm always concerned about with SWA ... but when we fly SWA, it's out of a small regional airport with just a couple of flights a day. I would have thought that flying out of a big hub like Baltimore would mean that there would mean plenty of opportunities to get you on an alternate flight. Guess not, huh?

just let him run on the moving sidewalks.

I wonder how much those would cost to have installed at your home...

4cf3wmQ6i0RvUJLYQRJfSr0oipkvS73aqGAbPoQ4KfZR6QjrlvZHIH2s6ndxWjZHy6czRKNeJZARrEHRY2suiCWiim9pHoqcynIV-EnUFvgrCq7SIxkxNMHDmJyEg7-4rxU1xurI9IE456ce0y6fd_WbKBqSQXda4fcCvOK_fcVV-FGtFIFSInW8wiq3LOhxT7Po6uDe6TJv5dru8Xq0HhWzxdRc6VquHNk7CT1I07YQmywboCgkJuYvJpBL3uBZVgzzSTa4A23OtfWZPlJupSDyvaSyX7X9Rwl7z57JeoMctYHmi_oiUp6Yec121QgAdRJ9faIPFGgQpQn7VaThQIzibr5dSDQRMgOlbxcIjJdJd53RjglP1Hh5gm8fk7bGW2vvoBrpXkGuCBHCEaeXaSt3-JBOhrbCPba48bGXYXu4S4FSAvd1WFRaRGcEnuyanCyP7Ce5kEoyypp20Ib6P0iHpiOGn1Z7dBwcvJZBtZkus6tPlCD46FG7NFDLM-zwAruKeFsiaI6Q5Uada8RcUqeXHyJomoV8BydpCcdp-HNv08n94CUeIsDrtsyaYIdqRDc3miIVxoGXq0qYCSxd4mXSDWCJ3tikCB_Yq_3lCdZNcgNh=w629-h838-no

This pic gave me some warm fuzzies. Even if it was only for an hour or so, nice moment.

Poor Dave was devastated to miss the game and was in tears. I felt awful for him

.... and this did not.

Poor guy.

we walked down the hall and paid outrageous airport prices for crappy pizza for dinner.

Last time we had a delay (even a short one) Southwest gave us some airport food vouchers. Did you see any of those going out?? We got a free pretty decent Mexican meal in Oakland.

I judged that this would enable us to “catch up” with our planned itinerary as soon as possible.

And this is sound judgement. I mean great plan, but I'm a bit skeptical at this point...

You could have posted this ONE photo, and not done any writing, and we'd have understood perfectly. (Don't get me wrong, your writing is top notch.)

And how come they could get to Minneapolis but we couldn’t?

And THIS, Sir, is the Million Dollar Question.

Wow! Not a great start, everything has to go better from that crazy start! Just how did your bags manage to get to Mn? Yes, Wi, means Wisconsin in my user name.

WOOHOO!!!!!!! Another Captain Oblivious report!! I was getting worried about what I was actually going to do on the Dis since @pkondz wrapped his up.

Full disclosure: I still can’t sleep on Christmas Eve. But now, it’s because I can’t wait for everyone else to open their gifts.

I am the world's worst at waiting for people to open presents. As soon as I get it, I want you to have it. My fiancé made me wait until his actual birthday and it nearly killed me, since I'd ordered the gift (customized Oakleys) about two weeks before.

I had been hearing horror stories about the TSA lines at airports, but we sailed through security and were at the gate in plenty of time for the flight.

I'd heard that too, but yet we had no problem flying to Texas.

Finally, after some bouncing, cajoling, fussing and bear-hugging, I managed to get Drew to sleep.

4cf3wmQ6i0RvUJLYQRJfSr0oipkvS73aqGAbPoQ4KfZR6QjrlvZHIH2s6ndxWjZHy6czRKNeJZARrEHRY2suiCWiim9pHoqcynIV-EnUFvgrCq7SIxkxNMHDmJyEg7-4rxU1xurI9IE456ce0y6fd_WbKBqSQXda4fcCvOK_fcVV-FGtFIFSInW8wiq3LOhxT7Po6uDe6TJv5dru8Xq0HhWzxdRc6VquHNk7CT1I07YQmywboCgkJuYvJpBL3uBZVgzzSTa4A23OtfWZPlJupSDyvaSyX7X9Rwl7z57JeoMctYHmi_oiUp6Yec121QgAdRJ9faIPFGgQpQn7VaThQIzibr5dSDQRMgOlbxcIjJdJd53RjglP1Hh5gm8fk7bGW2vvoBrpXkGuCBHCEaeXaSt3-JBOhrbCPba48bGXYXu4S4FSAvd1WFRaRGcEnuyanCyP7Ce5kEoyypp20Ib6P0iHpiOGn1Z7dBwcvJZBtZkus6tPlCD46FG7NFDLM-zwAruKeFsiaI6Q5Uada8RcUqeXHyJomoV8BydpCcdp-HNv08n94CUeIsDrtsyaYIdqRDc3miIVxoGXq0qYCSxd4mXSDWCJ3tikCB_Yq_3lCdZNcgNh=w629-h838-no

He looks like a miniature Scotty here!

Poor Dave was devastated to miss the game and was in tears. I felt awful for him. But the situation was completely out of our control.

Awww poor Dave :hugs:

And poor Oblivious family!! What a nightmarish way to start a trip. I can't even imagine.

Yep.

Oh my word!!! I am having anxiety attacks about flying with my children just READING about your day. I am hoping that things get better quickly!

That was just a brutal day. Nothing we could do about the weather, but it was a worst-case scenario as far as the airline providing service.

Same for me. Adrenaline is pumping before I go anywhere. I learned long ago to embrace it.

Me too. It's all part of the fun. We can crash later.

DO NOT TAUNT THE BASEBALL GODS!

Are they like Happy Fun Ball?

See, I told you. Feel real bad for Dave.

I guess it was my fault, then. Poor Dave. He was looking forward to it so much.

When I was a kid, I could never get to sleep on Christmas Eve.

I don't even remember what sleeping was like as a kid. I just know we woke up way too early!

In both cases, the anticipation is half of the fun. The night before a vacation, I’m tossing and turning in excitement, as I can’t wait to leave work behind and start exploring.

Better than me, running around trying to finish packing before we have to leave, dreaming of getting some sleep.

my father drove our van back to Delaware and saved us $100 in parking fees.

Nice!

Take that, baseball curse!

I sense a bad omen here. That and I watched it unfold on FB.

Then we checked the “Departures” board. Already, our flight time was shown later than originally scheduled. Not encouraging.

Dun, dun, dunnnn

All of us, especially Drew, were excited to get on board and fly in an airplane.

Did he remember his last two trips?

Finally, after some bouncing, cajoling, fussing and bear-hugging, I managed to get Drew to sleep.

:faint:

Fortunately, someone actually did buy them from us—we sold at a loss, of course, but at least we got a little something back for them.

Well at least you got something back.

The baseball curse lives.

Don't taunt the baseball gods. :sad2:

NOT EVEN TWO MINUTES LATER: “Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that your flight has been cancelled.” Thanks again for stringing me along, Mr. Desk Clerk!

Jerk clerk. Hey! I made a rhyme! Jerk clerk, jerk clerk, Jerk clerk. OK so I'm getting punchy just reading about your experience.

I took the 6 a.m. flight out of Reagan. On the plus side, I judged that this would enable us to “catch up” with our planned itinerary as soon as possible.

So this was for Thursday and at this point in the story we've just passed Midnight into Wednesday morning? :confused3 I just want to make sure that I didn't get lost somewhere along the way.

“Did you put in a request to have your bags pulled from the plane? If you didn’t put in a request to have them pulled, our policy is to send them on.”

This is absolutely ludicrous! I mean wasn't one of the 911 changes that your bags were "allegedly" pulled from the plane if you didn't board?

Southwest’s motto is “Bags Fly Free”. I had no idea that was meant to be taken literally. You’re not going anywhere, but your bags could fly all over the country!

I sure hope they had a good time while you were stuck in the airport.

THAT is the million dollar question!!!!

When I was a kid, I could never get to sleep on Christmas Eve.
I remember similar such things…
Long gone are those days.

dial up radio stations playing Christmas music on my state-of-the-art Sony Walkman…
Wait…
You’re tellin’ me radios no longer had tubes that needed warming up when you were a kid?

we’d reach 5:30 a.m. and I could start annoying my parents.
“Having children is like living in a frat house –
nobody sleeps, everything’s broken and there’s a lot of throwing up.”

me and my brother down the stairs to check and see if Santa had stopped by during the night.
And if he’d remembered the BB gun.

This was always an iffy proposition at best.
Kings of the naughty list, I take it.

(pause)

ThumpthumpthumpthumpthumpTHUMPTHUMP “Santa was here!”
You wasted time going back upstairs?
Every man for himself!

I mention this because vacation planning gives me the same sense of anticipation that I used to get in the days before Christmas.*
OK, now that one I also have to confess too.

*Full disclosure: I still can’t sleep on Christmas Eve. But now, it’s because I can’t wait for everyone else to open their gifts.
Pbbbft…
I sleep well now.
Last Christmas, it was about 10:30 or so before we decided it might be time to go roust the young’en out of bed. It’s a whole different world.

In both cases, the anticipation is half of the fun. The night before a vacation, I’m tossing and turning in excitement, as I can’t wait to leave work behind and start exploring. Julie is also tossing and turning, but she’s wondering what we’re going to forget to take with us.
Well, someone has to be the practical one.
(I feel so bad for those folks…)

Just a few days after the school year ended, another adventure was ready to begin. We had our usual departure plan: our flight was scheduled to depart Baltimore at 2:30 p.m., arriving in Minneapolis at 4:50 p.m. local time. We would leave our place in Delaware around 10:30 a.m., pick up my father in Dover around 11:00, and then drive to the airport and arrive in plenty of time to go through security while my father drove our van back to Delaware and saved us $100 in parking fees.
“Good plan; didn’t work…”

Or so I’m told, that is.

Once we landed in Minneapolis, we were going to head straight downtown to Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins. They just so happened to be playing our team, the Philadelphia Phillies, that evening.
So, we’re talking about a game with championship implications here, right?

Bwaaaaahhaaaaahaaaaaaa!

Take that, baseball curse!
Oh, I see…

What is about to happen next is entirely your fault then?

paid regular prices for crappy fast food
Well, regular prices do make it a smidgen less crappy.

We all had our Phillies gear on…
Additional attacks upon the curse?
Brave souls.

Already, our flight time was shown later than originally scheduled. Not encouraging.
But not that unusual.

All of us, especially Drew, were excited to get on board and fly in an airplane.
Yep, He’s got a better idea of what’s goin’ on this time around.
Still won’t remember that much, but that’s just reason to go back and do it again.

Wait, let me re-phrase that: ever try and keep a 2-year-old boy peaceful and happy anywhere?
It’s been a while…

He disproves the laws of thermodynamics, because he is a perpetual motion machine.
So when are you headed to Sweden to pick up the Nobel?

Also, I’m too old for this.
Pup…

Eventually, we found the best way to keep him entertained in the airport was to just let him run on the moving sidewalks.
Wait, isn’t that why they put them there in the first place?

This distressed David greatly.
And I do feel bad about that one.

Imagine how much he’d enjoy it if the Phillies were any good!
Takes a stronger individual to follow a “work in progress”.

Being a “fan” of any of “America’s” teams (gawd I hate that advertising phrase) requires zero effort or commitment and as such negates the definition of “fan” in the first place.

There’s a saying out where my son goes to school that sums this up;
“I wear a WCU shirt because I went there;
You wear that Duke shirt because you went to Walmart”

We ran laps on the moving sidewalk.
Transportation Treadmills…
There not just for toddlers anymore.

our plane was supposed to be coming from Norfolk, Virginia and there were storms between us and them preventing the plane from taking off.
“It’s a fifteen minute flight; can’t pull it off with this equipment…”

Finally, after some bouncing, cajoling, fussing and bear-hugging…
You got Julie to agree not to kick you to the curb?

Sorry… that just popped out.
Do continue with you original train of thought.

I managed to get Drew to sleep.
So, much for the Nobel Prize.

It didn’t last long…
Never mind, the Scandinavian trip is back on.

At some point in the evening, we walked down the hall and paid outrageous airport prices for crappy pizza for dinner.
The real tragedy of the day.

The difference in fares is only $400 per seat, so I could book a flight from Philadelphia for an extra $2,000.
How ‘bout another big cup of No.

I bit back several profanity-laced tirades…
A skill learned from years as a fan of “works in progress”.

I work for the state government. And as far as I’m concerned, any of you that work for the airline industry have forever lost your right to complain about bureaucracy ever again.
Wait…
An American; not complain?
I thought you were a Nobel Laureate.

My father arrived around 10:30 p.m. We still didn’t have our luggage.

Dun – Dun – Duuuuuunnnnnnn
dramatic-chipmunk.gif

“Oh, I think those bags are already on their way to Minneapolis.”

I’m sorry…WHAT??
OK, now if there wasn’t a plane for the passengers…
then what type of witchcraft provided for a plane just to haul the baggage?

“Did you put in a request to have your bags pulled from the plane? If you didn’t put in a request to have them pulled, our policy is to send them on.”
Yeah…
Even I’d have lost it right about there.

That’s what I was asking!

Right off the bat, we’d lost two days of our summer vacation.
Rough…

I'm semi-familiar with the story from FB, but...... holy crap, dude.

Yeah. Not the best day.

Funny. I never really had that problem.
I think part of the reason was because when I was old enough to start getting excited about it, we started doing the traditional French Canadian thing. Which is, go to church... at midnight. Done by 1am or so... then a massive meal. Bedtime was, oh... around 3 or 4. am.

Sacre bleu!

Man, that's a late night. I could never pull an all-nighter. I always started malfunctioning after 2 a.m.

And yet... I do have a memory of waiting by the tree... wondering if my sister would ever wake up.
(This was before all the late, late, late night shenanigans.)

Julie and I have had a couple of Christmas mornings like that. The kids have started sleeping in while we're still up early, ready to go!

So young.

We had one radio. It was bigger than I was and was in the Living Room.

Now was there electricity in the house at this time? Running water?

That was very nicely done! :laughing:

Hey, thanks!:thumbsup2

I don't have that problem.
Last several years, Christmas is at our house and I'm usually super busy Christmas Eve.... and exhausted by the time I hit the hay.

This past Christmas Eve was pretty awesome. The older kids and I were up building a train table for Drew. It was like Santa's workshop.

Did I ever tell the story of what happened on my first Disney trip, night before?
If not... I think I'll save it for my TR.

Teaser.

I don't believe I know that story. I'll be waiting!:hyper:

Whoa! Dude... $100???? What a rip off!

It's actually not that bad. The rate for the long-term parking lot at BWI is $8/night. We would be gone for two weeks, so it adds up.

Statistically, most thunderstorms occur on Tuesdays.
I just made that up. Because, math.

64% of all statistics are made up.

Nice.... or... would have been.

Yeah. Hope the Alternate-Universe Family enjoyed it.

Ha! You've got that curse thing on the ropes!

Nothing could possibly go wrong now!

I am bitterly disappointed to learn that you did not in fact consume PB&J sammies.

Bitterly.

Sorry. The usual plan is to buy PB&J supplies after we fly out. This helps streamline the luggage.

Oh, yeah. This traveling thing ain't so hard.

Piece of cake! We have it all figured out! Nothing can stop us now!

Oh? So he knew what was going on?

This was Drew's first trip where he was aware of what was going on. I don't know how much he'll remember in future years, but he was definitely excited to fly on the "blue air-pane".

Uh... Hate to tell you this, but I can't see what you're trying to show us.
Looks like maybe a plane.
But I can't tell, 'cause someone sneezed on the lens.

Again?! My bad.

Nope! We stuck with girls.
They're horrible later in life.

Well...good luck with that.

Nope! See above.

Crap. I have a girl, too. I guess I'll find out.

Hook him up to a treadmill and store some energy in batteries!
Save money!

Wouldn't that be nice? I could retire!

:lmao: That picture's great!

Thanks!

Yay!!!

Yay?

Nay?

Nay.

As were your hopes and dreams.

Consigned to the ash-can of history.

Awww... I feel badly for him.

Me too. The poor kid was crushed.

Isn't that the best? Loved when my rats fell asleep on me.

It is great! Fighting them to get to that point, not so much.

Well, silver lining I guess.

Better than nothing, anyway.

Man, that really sucks. I really do feel bad for him.
I'd send him a Winnipeg Goldeyes cap... but he a. wouldn't know who they are and b. wouldn't care if he did.

He might still think it was cool! Anything baseball is ok by him.

Remember when I said you had it on the ropes?

You're Foreman. The curse is Ali.

I feel more like Wile E. Coyote to the Road Runner. Or Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. The curse is Lucy.

Oh thank goodness!!

(And you believed them.... :sad2:

I know. It's a recurring problem with me--believing what people tell me.

At first I was "What? The airline didn't give you vouchers?" but then I remembered that they're not liable for weather delays, only mechanical.

Yep. With weather delays, the traveler is basically SOL.

Oy. No kidding.

:faint:

Pretty sneaky of him! He's got a career in politics ahead of him!

If he doesn't get throat-punched first.

Smart. Don't think I would've thought of that.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

And robbery!

I work in the airline industry... not for it.
Maybe it'll make you happy to hear that I occasionally get to threaten airlines? Does that help?

Didn't think so.

Maybe a little. Could you put in a little extra threat for me next time?

Wow. That was a close one. That would've been a tough one to fix. If you could do it at all.

Yeah, that took a few phone calls and some begging and pleading. Credit to Enterprise for working with me.

Poor li'l gaffer.

He was so done. Actually, so were the rest of us.

An hour and a half? But.... they weren't even put on a plane yet, since there's no plane... right?

One would think. But there you go, using common sense again.

Nice of him. Gives you guys a bit of a break too.

That was a big help. Granddaddy is Drew's favorite person in the whole wide world (sometimes even more than Mommy), so it was great to have reinforcements.

Now that's just crappy service. Not impressed.

Agreed.

I don't blame you one bit.

So. Done.

???????
I assume they put them on an earlier flight? But... why?

This was a real mystery. I still don't know how it happened.

:sad2: Did you punch him/her?

In my mind? A thousand times. I got a few other shots in, too. I'm undefeated at mental boxing.

I know she's unhappy, but.....
Sorry... that just makes me laugh.

Actually, me too. That photo just encapsulates the whole day.

Stupid of you, really.

I keep trying to inject common sense into situations where it is neither useful or wanted.

Sweet! I'm going to get a bag big enough to fit into.

And then you can get your carousel ride at the baggage claim!

Like I said. Must've been shoved on an earlier flight. Was there one?

Maybe?:confused3 Or they put them on a later flight.

And totally understandable. What a day.

Worst. Vacation. Day. Ever.

Ok, I'm sure others have had it worse, but it felt pretty bad.

When vacation time is at such a high premium... man that really sucks.

Yeah, it was brutal sitting back at home the next day and thinking, "I'm using an annual leave day for this.":crazy2:

No!
(Trying to build the suspense for you there a bit.)

:scared1:

Interesting. Looking forward to more.

Hopefully we'll get to show you something more interesting than the inside of an airport!

Yeah. Not the best day.

:sad2:

Sacre bleu!

Zut, alors!

Man, that's a late night. I could never pull an all-nighter. I always started malfunctioning after 2 a.m.

Don't try my job.

Julie and I have had a couple of Christmas mornings like that. The kids have started sleeping in while we're still up early, ready to go!

Ingrates! Get up and wake your parents!

Now was there electricity in the house at this time? Running water?

Of course there's running water and electricity.
If you didn't run with the bucket from the well, you'd feel the electricity in the air as your Dad stood there with the switch in his hand.

This past Christmas Eve was pretty awesome. The older kids and I were up building a train table for Drew. It was like Santa's workshop.

Cool! Photo?

I don't believe I know that story. I'll be waiting!:hyper:

I made a note to include it.

It's actually not that bad. The rate for the long-term parking lot at BWI is $8/night. We would be gone for two weeks, so it adds up.

Ah yes. That makes sense. Still.... long term parking? Longer than a week? Max fee of $50.

64% of all statistics are made up.

This is true! I read that... just scroll up!

Sorry. The usual plan is to buy PB&J supplies after we fly out. This helps streamline the luggage.

Ah. Gotcha.

This was Drew's first trip where he was aware of what was going on. I don't know how much he'll remember in future years, but he was definitely excited to fly on the "blue air-pane".

:laughing:

Crap. I have a girl, too. I guess I'll find out.

Oh, don't worry...

Wouldn't that be nice? I could retire!

Nah. There's the whole "bottomless pit of hunger" thing.

Consigned to the ash-can of history.

Whoa. Harsh.

It is great! Fighting them to get to that point, not so much.

I do remember that.

He might still think it was cool! Anything baseball is ok by him.

PM me your address and I'll see what I can do!

I feel more like Wile E. Coyote to the Road Runner. Or Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. The curse is Lucy.

:laughing: Yup!

I know. It's a recurring problem with me--believing what people tell me.

At least now I know why you read my TR.

If he doesn't get throat-punched first.

Well, sure. That goes without saying.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Note to self: Do not let a blind squirrel crawl up leg.

Maybe a little. Could you put in a little extra threat for me next time?

Sorry, not really.
This is what happens (and never with the large airlines)
We have rules in Canada that state if you do not depart within 1 hour from your expected departure time or do not advise us of your arrival within 1 hour (there are modifiers to that, but good enough for now), search and rescue will begin.
That means usually the following:
1. Making sure someone at my work didn't forget to update the status.
2. Phoning the pilot and/or the company for an update.
3. Arranging (if possible) for someone at the location to determine if the plane's there.
4. Notifying the military who will (if the plane isn't found by the above steps) send a C130 Hercules Search and Rescue aircraft to investigate.

Note that it pretty much never gets to stage 4.
95% of the time it doesn't hit stage 3.

A typical conversation is this:
Me: "This is the Winnipeg Air Traffic Control Centre, we're looking for an update on _____."
Them: "Oh! Sorry! Yes I/they are there at time ____" or something like that.

Occasionally, you get the person who's new at the job or filling in or unaware of the rules or lazy or....
Me: "This is the Winnipeg Air Traffic Control Centre, we're looking for an update on _____."
Them: "I don't know."
Me: "Can you find out?"
Them: "No."
Me: "Oh, okay no problem. We'll have to launch a "Herc" to fly out to investigate. Can I get your name?"
Them: "Uh... can you hold on? I'll see what I can find out."
Me: (Sweetly) "Sure. No problem."

I believe the bill for an unnecessary search is upwards of $10,000.

He was so done. Actually, so were the rest of us.

I bet.

This was a real mystery. I still don't know how it happened.

It just seems... well....
The industry is so careful these days, since 9/11, that all suitcases are matched to a passenger.

In my mind? A thousand times. I got a few other shots in, too. I'm undefeated at mental boxing.

Of course the ring is so small...

Actually, me too. That photo just encapsulates the whole day.

::yes::

And then you can get your carousel ride at the baggage claim!

Yes!!

What a horrible start to your vacay! There's only 2 of us and I would have had a meltdown (I know-that wouldn't solve anything) - I can't imagine having to keep 4 kids calm as well. So sorry for your rough start - although it does make for a more lively tr.

It's really hard to deal with all of that. I think I've learned over the years that you need to realize when things are out of your control. In those instances, anger or complaining is not going to help fix the problem. We took care of the things that we could control--selling our baseball tickets, canceling reservations, trying to get the rental car company to save our car for a couple of days--and once we did that, all we could do was ride out the storm.

And complain about the customer service afterwards.

I live in CA and weather isn't really a factor for flying in/out. Seems to always be sunny here. :sunny: We usually only pay attention if we have to have a layover-absolutely no to Chicago in the winter/spring and I try to avoid Dallas in the summer.

Alison (@franandaj ) likes to brag about the SoCal weather too. The rest of us live in constant jealousy.

Planning vacations is as exciting for me now as anticipating Christmas when I was a kid. I have to say-planning for retirement is also ranking up there!

I bet! You're living the dream!

Wow. Just wow. :sad2: I am going to think twice now about complaining about my petty flying annoyances like reclined seats and such (but then I'll still complain about them, of course :rotfl: - just after pausing to think of this first). I cannot imagine starting a vacation off in such a disappointing and difficult way! And, also, I had no idea our state was such a popular destination that it booked up all your flight alternatives. :confused3 Gosh, I hope you eventually make it here and are awake enough to enjoy it.

Oddly, I don't know if this is our worst airport story. Once Julie and I were flying back to Philadelphia from Florida in the winter, and due to an ice storm we got dropped off at BWI and left to our own devices from there. Only time in my life I ever slept in an airport.

Wow! What a start, or not start. Pretty crappy of SW not to bring another plane in for the next day vs. "Sorry, we are all booked for the day. Its not our fault." Good news is I found your bags at MSP riding the carousel... :rolleyes1 you may want to get a new tooth brush. :crazy2:

That was definitely bothering me. I couldn't believe it all hinged on one airplane in Norfolk. Southwest does own more than one airplane, right?

Just keep the toothbrush. I'm good.

Hopefully you made it today and off on your adventures and landed already. Its a bit gloomy out however.

??

This was back in June. Don't worry, the story will get better.

Oh no! What an awful start! I can't imagine spending all that time in an airport with a toddler! And poor David and that ballgame! That luggage fiasco would have sent me over the deep end ... hours of looking only to be told that you didn't fill out a request (that nobody told you needed to be filled out ...)!!!

That was just brutal. The biggest issue I had was the customer service--communication there was really, really poor. And that ended up wasting so much time.

A cancellation is something I'm always concerned about with SWA ... but when we fly SWA, it's out of a small regional airport with just a couple of flights a day. I would have thought that flying out of a big hub like Baltimore would mean that there would mean plenty of opportunities to get you on an alternate flight. Guess not, huh?

I thought we'd have more choices as well. I think the airlines in general have become so good at filling up their flights that they have things right on the edge in terms of the number of planes flying vs. the demand for travel. So when something like this happens, there's no room for error.

I wonder how much those would cost to have installed at your home...

I should look into that! Julie could use the break.

This pic gave me some warm fuzzies. Even if it was only for an hour or so, nice moment.

Let's call it "The Calm Before The Storm." Well, technically it was after a storm. But before the fiasco.

.... and this did not.

Poor guy.

I felt awful for him. And there was nothing we could do.

Last time we had a delay (even a short one) Southwest gave us some airport food vouchers. Did you see any of those going out?? We got a free pretty decent Mexican meal in Oakland.

Nope, nada. I think the general rule with airlines is that if the delay is weather-related, you're SOL.

And this is sound judgement. I mean great plan, but I'm a bit skeptical at this point...

It was the plan that involved the least amount of cancellations/phone calls.

You could have posted this ONE photo, and not done any writing, and we'd have understood perfectly. (Don't get me wrong, your writing is top notch.)

I agree! That one photo sums up the entire day! And it cracks me up every time I look at it.

And THIS, Sir, is the Million Dollar Question.

Stay tuned...

Wow! Not a great start, everything has to go better from that crazy start! Just how did your bags manage to get to Mn? Yes, Wi, means Wisconsin in my user name.

I think the bags question will be a mystery forever. I have no idea what happens after it leaves on the conveyor belt.

WOOHOO!!!!!!! Another Captain Oblivious report!! I was getting worried about what I was actually going to do on the Dis since @pkondz wrapped his up.

Well, I'm glad we could take care of you!

I am the world's worst at waiting for people to open presents. As soon as I get it, I want you to have it. My fiancé made me wait until his actual birthday and it nearly killed me, since I'd ordered the gift (customized Oakleys) about two weeks before.

Tell you what--if you buy me lots of expensive gifts, I promise to open them right away.:thumbsup2

I'd heard that too, but yet we had no problem flying to Texas.

Maybe the reports were more bark than bite.

He looks like a miniature Scotty here!

We all think he's a clone of David. It's probably the blond hair.

Awww poor Dave :hugs:

And poor Oblivious family!! What a nightmarish way to start a trip. I can't even imagine.

I don't think you could do much worse. Just a bad day all the way around.

I don't even remember what sleeping was like as a kid. I just know we woke up way too early!

That' all part of the fun!

Better than me, running around trying to finish packing before we have to leave, dreaming of getting some sleep.

I leave all that worrying/packing stuff up to Julie. It's great! (Don't ask her how she feels about it)

I sense a bad omen here. That and I watched it unfold on FB.

Hey, no looking ahead in the story!:rotfl:

Dun, dun, dunnnn

If there was a soundtrack, that would be it.

Did he remember his last two trips?

No, I doubt it. This was the first one that he was really aware of what was going on. He probably still won't remember it, but it was fun that he knew in the moment what was happening.

Well at least you got something back.

Better than nothing!

Don't taunt the baseball gods. :sad2:

That appears to be the life lesson here.

Jerk clerk. Hey! I made a rhyme! Jerk clerk, jerk clerk, Jerk clerk. OK so I'm getting punchy just reading about your experience.

:rotfl2: I like it!

So this was for Thursday and at this point in the story we've just passed Midnight into Wednesday morning? :confused3 I just want to make sure that I didn't get lost somewhere along the way.

Yes--the day from hell was Tuesday, and we left around midnight just as it was crossing into Wednesday. The re-booked flight was early Thursday morning.

This is absolutely ludicrous! I mean wasn't one of the 911 changes that your bags were "allegedly" pulled from the plane if you didn't board?

I don't recall how things shook out, but I know they tightened up the rules quite a bit. Our bags each had a tag identifying them as ours, but maybe they don't officially have to be on the same flight?:confused3

I sure hope they had a good time while you were stuck in the airport.

Well, we're not done with the bag saga yet...

THAT is the million dollar question!!!!

I don't think we'll ever get an answer!

Wow, sorry you had to start off your vacay with a big dose of reality. I was very disappointed when one of my flights was cancelled in England due to rain. Guess it happens more than I thought, and I'd been really lucky up to that point. But to do this with a toddler? That's cruel. And I still don't understand why they sent the luggage on without you. Someone is getting paid somewhere to coordinate these kind of things, aren't they? I mean, I don't work in the airline industry, but I always assumed that the most efficient thing would be to load the passengers and the corresponding luggage on the same flight....

I think cancellations probably do happen more often than we realize, and like you, I was probably fortunate not to have had to deal with it before this. It really does make for a stressful situation, having to completely re-plan and change the itinerary on the fly. I don't have a good explanation for the luggage fiasco. I'm not sure anyone does, really.

I remember similar such things…
Long gone are those days.

But the memories are still there. That's important.

Wait…
You’re tellin’ me radios no longer had tubes that needed warming up when you were a kid?

I love it here! Your house is always in the same place and you don't got to go outside to use the bathroom.

“Having children is like living in a frat house –
nobody sleeps, everything’s broken and there’s a lot of throwing up.”

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

And if he’d remembered the BB gun.

Definitely an important item.

Kings of the naughty list, I take it.

Hey, you can't prove that!

You wasted time going back upstairs?
Every man for himself!

Well, Mom and Dad did want to see us open the gifts.

OK, now that one I also have to confess too.

Seems to be universal here.

Pbbbft…
I sleep well now.
Last Christmas, it was about 10:30 or so before we decided it might be time to go roust the young’en out of bed. It’s a whole different world.

The kids are sleeping later and later. But I'm not.

Well, someone has to be the practical one.
(I feel so bad for those folks…)

Me too, my friend. Me too.

“Good plan; didn’t work…”

Or so I’m told, that is.

Man plans, God laughs.

So, we’re talking about a game with championship implications here, right?

Bwaaaaahhaaaaahaaaaaaa!

Below the belt!

Actually it doesn't hurt as bad as it did before 2008. At least I can point to a recent championship. That wasn't the case for a long, long dry spell.

Oh, I see…

What is about to happen next is entirely your fault then?

Probably. Everybody will say so, anyway.

Well, regular prices do make it a smidgen less crappy.

You know the fries are good, at least.

Additional attacks upon the curse?
Brave souls.

Julie likes when everybody dresses according to theme.

But not that unusual.

Unfortunately, no.

Yep, He’s got a better idea of what’s goin’ on this time around.
Still won’t remember that much, but that’s just reason to go back and do it again.

Well, we don't need to do EVERYTHING again. But it was fun to see him get excited about the plane ride.

It’s been a while…

Those memories are more repressed.

So when are you headed to Sweden to pick up the Nobel?

Those guys keep lowering their standards every year!

Hey, I'm over 40 and I have a 2-year-old. I'm allowed to be too old for that.

Wait, isn’t that why they put them there in the first place?

Maybe?

And I do feel bad about that one.

Win some, lose some. Nothing to do here but admit we lost. It hurt.

Takes a stronger individual to follow a “work in progress”.

Being a “fan” of any of “America’s” teams (gawd I hate that advertising phrase) requires zero effort or commitment and as such negates the definition of “fan” in the first place.

There’s a saying out where my son goes to school that sums this up;
“I wear a WCU shirt because I went there;
You wear that Duke shirt because you went to Walmart”

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Agreed. There are so many Cowboy fans around me. I always ask what their connection is to Texas. They always look at me funny.

Transportation Treadmills…
There not just for toddlers anymore.

I always feel like The Flash walking on them.

“It’s a fifteen minute flight; can’t pull it off with this equipment…”

I don't recognize that one.

You got Julie to agree not to kick you to the curb?

Sorry… that just popped out.
Do continue with you original train of thought.

That's a miracle I give thanks for every day.

So, much for the Nobel Prize.

Easy come, easy go.

Never mind, the Scandinavian trip is back on.

party:

The real tragedy of the day.

We all suffered greatly.

How ‘bout another big cup of No.

Works for me.

A skill learned from years as a fan of “works in progress”.

And years as a public servant.

Wait…
An American; not complain?
I thought you were a Nobel Laureate.

It is our national pastime.

Dun – Dun – Duuuuuunnnnnnn
dramatic-chipmunk.gif

So Alison already added the soundtrack, but the .gif takes it to another level.

OK, now if there wasn’t a plane for the passengers…
then what type of witchcraft provided for a plane just to haul the baggage?

One of the great mysteries of our time.

Yeah…
Even I’d have lost it right about there.

I don't even know what to say anymore.

That’s what I was asking!

We're all asking it!

::yes::

Let's call it "The Calm Before The Storm." Well, technically it was after a storm. But before the fiasco.

This bodes not well.

Nope, nada. I think the general rule with airlines is that if the delay is weather-related, you're SOL.

Yeah, I think you're right. Our was mechanical issues. Their fault.

And it cracks me up every time I look at it.

I saw on FB giggled then too. Of course, I was feeling your pain then too.

Stay tuned...

Duh, duh, duuuuunnnn...

I just can't even imagine. My DH would be so upset we'd probably just go home at that point.

Hope it gets better!

Zut, alors!

Gesundheit.

Don't try my job.

I don't think I could do your job. Mark no function sleep well without.

Ingrates! Get up and wake your parents!

Darn right!

Wait a minute...

Of course there's running water and electricity.
If you didn't run with the bucket from the well, you'd feel the electricity in the air as your Dad stood there with the switch in his hand.

And that was BEFORE the 8-mile uphill walk to school!

Cool! Photo?

I remember Julie posted on on FB last Christmas Eve. I'll have to try and find it.

I made a note to include it.

Cool!

Ah yes. That makes sense. Still.... long term parking? Longer than a week? Max fee of $50.

Max fee! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As if such a concept could ever exist!

This is true! I read that... just scroll up!

Hey, you're right! I did see that! It's on the internet and everything.

Nah. There's the whole "bottomless pit of hunger" thing.

Crap.

PM me your address and I'll see what I can do!

Hey, thanks! I will.

At least now I know why you read my TR.

Why was that again?:confused3

Well, sure. That goes without saying.

I wish we all got a couple of free throat-punches in life. Then again, others might use it on me.

Note to self: Do not let a blind squirrel crawl up leg.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Sorry, not really.
This is what happens (and never with the large airlines)
We have rules in Canada that state if you do not depart within 1 hour from your expected departure time or do not advise us of your arrival within 1 hour (there are modifiers to that, but good enough for now), search and rescue will begin.
That means usually the following:
1. Making sure someone at my work didn't forget to update the status.
2. Phoning the pilot and/or the company for an update.
3. Arranging (if possible) for someone at the location to determine if the plane's there.
4. Notifying the military who will (if the plane isn't found by the above steps) send a C130 Hercules Search and Rescue aircraft to investigate.

Note that it pretty much never gets to stage 4.
95% of the time it doesn't hit stage 3.

A typical conversation is this:
Them: "Oh! Sorry! Yes I/they are there at time ____" or something like that.

Occasionally, you get the person who's new at the job or filling in or unaware of the rules or lazy or....
Them: "I don't know."
Me: "Can you find out?"
Them: "No."
Me: "Oh, okay no problem. We'll have to launch a "Herc" to fly out to investigate. Can I get your name?"
Them: "Uh... can you hold on? I'll see what I can find out."
Me: (Sweetly) "Sure. No problem."

I believe the bill for an unnecessary search is upwards of $10,000.

Well, I can see why an organization would want to avoid that fine. And I can see why it would be so steep. Good to know you can keep the lazy folks in line.

It just seems... well....
The industry is so careful these days, since 9/11, that all suitcases are matched to a passenger.

That must be the technicality. The bag is indeed matched to me...but may not be on the same plane.

Of course the ring is so small...

Man, I walked right into that one.

What a horrible, horrible day! I can't even imagine.

It was a long, ugly one, that's for sure.

I like this picture though! It reminds me of the early photographs that prove that horses have all their feet off of the ground at one point during a gallop.

Thanks! I liked the reflections in the glass. And it was the best we could do since he wouldn't stop moving!

This bodes not well.

Mmmm. Correct, you are.:yoda:

Yeah, I think you're right. Our was mechanical issues. Their fault.

Right. That's the key difference.

I saw on FB giggled then too. Of course, I was feeling your pain then too.

We tried hard to keep our sense of humor no matter what. There's only so much you can do.

Duh, duh, duuuuunnnn...

There's that tune again...

I just can't even imagine. My DH would be so upset we'd probably just go home at that point.

Hope it gets better!

There's only so much that is under control. It's easy to get upset, but I think we knew it wouldn't help at all. It will get better!

And :welcome:

Hey, you can't prove that!
Ahhhh...
But can you disprove it?

You know the fries are good, at least.
Mmmmm... beef tallow...

So long as they aren't cold, though.

Julie likes when everybody dresses according to theme.
Tam would too, but the guys in the house don't go for it very often.
I did agree to play along at least once for the upcoming trip though, so we'll see how that plays out.

Agreed. There are so many Cowboy fans around me. I always ask what their connection is to Texas. They always look at me funny.
Well at least that "fan" base has actually been suffering for a few seasons now.
(An I don't feel even the slightest modicum of sympathy of 'em)

I don't recognize that one.
Not worth worrying over, but it's from one of Ron White's better stand-up routines

It is our national pastime.
Going all the way back to Roanoke and Plymouth

So Alison already added the soundtrack, but the .gif takes it to another level.
I wanted something for the "Dramatic Chord" where Arthur & Bedamire first encounter the Knight who say Ni...
but believe it or not, that's one thing I couldn't find on the internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter