A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

I don't think I could do your job. Mark no function sleep well without.

me no function good rite now.

And that was BEFORE the 8-mile uphill walk to school!

through 10 feet of snow, uphill both ways!

Max fee! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As if such a concept could ever exist!

:sad2:

Why was that again?:confused3

You're asking me?

I wish we all got a couple of free throat-punches in life. Then again, others might use it on me.

Eep! Good point.

That must be the technicality. The bag is indeed matched to me...but may not be on the same plane.

Uh.... Having a thought here and I don't like it nor will I post it.

Ahhhh...
But can you disprove it?

Innocent until proven guilty!

Mmmmm... beef tallow...

So long as they aren't cold, though.

Right. You have about 7-8 minutes of bliss.

Tam would too, but the guys in the house don't go for it very often.
I did agree to play along at least once for the upcoming trip though, so we'll see how that plays out.

I'll sometimes choose a shirt that might subtly (at least in my mind) tie into whatever we're doing that day. I don't like it when everyone's blatantly wearing the same thing, though. That's too cutesy. Sports team-wear is excepted, of course.

Well at least that "fan" base has actually been suffering for a few seasons now.
(An I don't feel even the slightest modicum of sympathy of 'em)

Nope. Not one little bit.

Not worth worrying over, but it's from one of Ron White's better stand-up routines

Ah. I don't think I'm familiar with him.

Going all the way back to Roanoke and Plymouth

It's what we do!

I wanted something for the "Dramatic Chord" where Arthur & Bedamire first encounter the Knight who say Ni...
but believe it or not, that's one thing I couldn't find on the internet.

Wow. And here I thought it had everything!

me no function good rite now.

Hopefully the break is coming soon!

through 10 feet of snow, uphill both ways!

Darn right! Kids these days.

You're asking me?

What was I thinking?

Uh.... Having a thought here and I don't like it nor will I post it.

I try to avoid those. Thoughts, I mean.

Sorry, not really.
This is what happens (and never with the large airlines)
We have rules in Canada that state if you do not depart within 1 hour from your expected departure time or do not advise us of your arrival within 1 hour (there are modifiers to that, but good enough for now), search and rescue will begin.
That means usually the following:
1. Making sure someone at my work didn't forget to update the status.
2. Phoning the pilot and/or the company for an update.
3. Arranging (if possible) for someone at the location to determine if the plane's there.
4. Notifying the military who will (if the plane isn't found by the above steps) send a C130 Hercules Search and Rescue aircraft to investigate.

Note that it pretty much never gets to stage 4.
95% of the time it doesn't hit stage 3.

A typical conversation is this:
Me: "This is the Winnipeg Air Traffic Control Centre, we're looking for an update on _____."
Them: "Oh! Sorry! Yes I/they are there at time ____" or something like that.

Occasionally, you get the person who's new at the job or filling in or unaware of the rules or lazy or....
Me: "This is the Winnipeg Air Traffic Control Centre, we're looking for an update on _____."
Them: "I don't know."
Me: "Can you find out?"
Them: "No."
Me: "Oh, okay no problem. We'll have to launch a "Herc" to fly out to investigate. Can I get your name?"
Them: "Uh... can you hold on? I'll see what I can find out."
Me: (Sweetly) "Sure. No problem."

I believe the bill for an unnecessary search is upwards of $10,000.

So this is what you do when we don't see you on the boards...

Alison (@franandaj ) likes to brag about the SoCal weather too. The rest of us live in constant jealousy.

Yeah, except we can't take baths without feeling totally guilty and our showers are taken with buckets to conserve extra water for the plants (when waiting for the warm water).

I leave all that worrying/packing stuff up to Julie. It's great! (Don't ask her how she feels about it)

I guess you don't care quite as much as Fran does in what is packed.

Yes--the day from hell was Tuesday, and we left around midnight just as it was crossing into Wednesday. The re-booked flight was early Thursday morning.

OK, Glad I know what's up

Well, we're not done with the bag saga yet...

Uh oh :sad2:

Ah yes. That makes sense. Still.... long term parking? Longer than a week? Max fee of $50.

WoW! We ended up paying almost $300 for our *new* parking alternative. I'm going back to the dang slow regular LA lot parking.

Max fee! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As if such a concept could ever exist!

Yeah. We have parking places that try to etice folks with Free car washes, valet parking and who knows what else.

That must be the technicality. The bag is indeed matched to me...but may not be on the same plane.

This is so wrong.

No kidding. Guess where I am right now... and for the next 13 hours.

:faint: Did you survive? Please tell me you survived.

This is probably for the best.

Yep. Safer that way.

There are exceptions to that rule.
I've seen it done.
:rolleyes1

Oh, sure. The court of public opinion has no such rule.

Of course, goes without sayin'...

Whew.

So this is what you do when we don't see you on the boards...

He also adds unnecessary "u" 's to words that don't need them.

Yeah, except we can't take baths without feeling totally guilty and our showers are taken with buckets to conserve extra water for the plants (when waiting for the warm water).

That drought is just brutal. I can't believe how long it's continued on.

I guess you don't care quite as much as Fran does in what is packed.

Nah. We can always find replacements if needed.

OK, Glad I know what's up

:thumbsup2

Yeah...there's one more kick to the family jewels coming.

WoW! We ended up paying almost $300 for our *new* parking alternative. I'm going back to the dang slow regular LA lot parking.

$300? Did they trade out your car for a better model?

Yeah. We have parking places that try to etice folks with Free car washes, valet parking and who knows what else.

Sounds like that should be standard!

This is so wrong.

::yes::

Correction. It is one of the things I do when I'm not on the boards. :laughing:

He also likes to jump on the carousel at the baggage claim and ride around when no one's looking.

:faint: Did you survive? Please tell me you survived.

No.
I finally snapped like a twig yesterday.
Called in sick for my last midnight shift.
And there's more.... details on my TR in a bit.

Oh, sure. The court of public opinion has no such rule.

See? There ya go.

He also adds unnecessary "u" 's to words that don't need them.

That's so you can tell the difference between me and u.

He also likes to jump on the carousel at the baggage claim and ride around when no one's looking.

Wait.... You don't?

YIKES!!!! This has to be one of the WORST airline stories EVER!!! What a MESS- that you all held it together is spectacular. Gold Medals all around-

Chapter 2: Two Roads Diverged In a Wood, And I…I Was Stuck In Delaware

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

--"Casey At The Bat", Ernest Thayer

WEDNESDAY IN THE REAL WORLD

If by Mudville, you mean Dover, Delaware, then yeah—no joy was to be found on Wednesday morning. We’d crashed at my parents’ house and awoke in the morning tired and grumpy. Oh, and we had no clothes except what we were wearing, and no toiletries because ours were presumably on their way to Minneapolis.

We had some breakfast and scrounged up some toothbrushes from somewhere and then packed ourselves into the van to drive back to our house. Our goals were modest: a shower and a change of clothes.

Seriously, we were in bad shape here. Drew made the trip home wearing nothing but a diaper and sandals.

7W89D9IKuqBeVEmS7DXt2SO-lsksjS3QLKnqeTnrMH8OlbCBhaS2T-2q-xLKgkU6oJ-MdLySIb1oT3SR3v4b35oN62pUexLZntNySPzc0lIlWvLdkGCzBc2QNH9eDRtB1NhqjaeXnd9gRUi_SZYdrbd5qonWWhnHoxSIQqfe8BUs_2gqPTIbXFfN-QFhnq_qde3drRxCoIR255dqNIRy9lUPhj0BSzGEPKFIKXAFz91a5wijwOUt9AIaEsFc17TitbGcbs0bJpAkwXL8IF_Ahbzuar6DW081PUgdHOTMF6eibZ-XxsKzjwPH_K4Iz5X4B8Z0fqTWGs_advPXMlke3tO_vs8EVxvHtUhFg6xNo7I8rYDCU7VFfXSm7lu6wEPhzrRgGMUAGc1a4U4byFYfsEdMJN7nuozuPXJUS1Z6c0ymCqh4NklHS9ozvH5c0T7oySQORczqjSeklVkNUEWqqkNV05As3TYvsjViCx7_CbN-ysxMC4mqkUJOI3GV3rKiVukOYRFIrRXsEUdYFMYMO5kY1RWKRjW88sKAXUlB1X_a2Im2tNENCTCSg2HzYnb2PK89ahmzioo_ql1lgZhXNQkIoVaxdHKRt2ApLrbjR6mskMbu=w631-h841-no

Our plan Wednesday was to shower, change, and then track down our missing bags. We got the first two items accomplished fairly quickly. Showering that morning felt like being kissed by angels.

I was still feeling grumpy, though—it felt awful to be in my house knowing I was wasting another day of precious annual leave from work. Julie was on the phone with the Minneapolis airport talking to Gail of Southwest Airlines. Gail hadn’t seen our bags yet, but she promised to let us know if she did. Awesome. They were probably in Seattle by now.

We had no food in the house. Part of the drill in vacation preparation is eating everything in the fridge and pantry before you go so nothing is left to spoil and give you a nasty surprise when you return. So, we had our first gourmet meal of the vacation: everyone got subs from Wawa.

Wawa is a Philadelphia-area institution and quite simply the greatest convenience store in the world. If you don’t have a Wawa near you, I feel sorry for you. But don’t worry, they are expanding. I even saw a few in Florida last time I was there. Anyway, they were having their annual summer “Hoagiefest” where their 10-inch subs are $5 apiece. Their food is surprisingly good for a convenience store.

PONUcqeG8YqP0zENFhcLI6RfedjkUcIZMKMfc5l0mMMX7kiDHkCCSWtcuYD4x0-1RdGguH71PAVP0NRaVhGIYZ7KtFU7gqF_yBs_5ss9KC57KX1JkEdFuNiwfrwlktyUiyrXKBoK4clLb2b7NxRDMQ27NpjGFnneytX09hjdUrJ2dtrXM7yC_nUKA2ITzDyNjCYFJVjm1eRZaYHeJG67KdcgutYGC1DCNDpZXrw_qyuOmtjIMnRCqBHYtLRAMlko2Nw4lV2yuvVJuSgE9q_TVIx0wH21GydXeLw37VlfzU3IGPGuk9Tc8Vt1UPetFnNgl9B_67K9DfdE2uTXhtQMzVmM8tkWhhO8BdBPGxD5nWChtqVQMqOaRBMAeXtG8d9OPWY-oJ4iIuutK4EyMGX7sll0acNVhnYENQkBHccAsYVKkxvawlrWoaLg43BBeCO2iAJkG4SyiBjLFWhamssBge2cQ82q4iXMudh44hxTIG6_hhEKIqwy5AFM-IVK3yeK4UjJAUvLnA-SVDeFlvAeeiJM2wm9fubY-d1w5eBoSOQkiVuqm1eGn8n0f68cjCM3zxa2oJIho_ClMHO2tyOdi1wY19dZeErbapjdp4yPxp_o8nka=w631-h841-no

Shortly after lunch, we got a call from Gail at Southwest in Minneapolis: our bags were there! She would be holding them until we arrived on Thursday. That was a huge relief.

Of course, this means that they probably were still in Baltimore on Tuesday night when we were trying to retrieve them and hadn’t traveled until Wednesday morning, so we could have gotten them back except for airport workers who were either clueless as to what bags they actually held or just too lazy to get them for us.

There’s not much to tell about the rest of the day Wednesday. We had a 6 a.m. flight out of Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C. on Thursday morning. Figuring a couple hours for travel and a couple hours for security, breakfast, etc., that meant we needed to spend the night at my parents’ house and wake up at 1:30 a.m.

Ugh.

It was even worse for my dad, who would be getting up at that hour just to drive us to the airport. He wouldn’t even get a vacation out of it.

Needless to say, we drove back to Dover and went to bed early that night.

As the opening lines of the chapter read, somewhere the sun is shining and hearts are light. Let’s take a look at that alternate universe, where everything works like it should and flights aren’t cancelled and people actually get to enjoy their vacations. Here’s what would have happened Wednesday, if we’d made our flight Tuesday night:

WEDNESDAY IN THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

The Oblivious Family woke early, having thoroughly enjoyed the Phillies’ epic 9th-inning comeback against the Minnesota Twins the night before in which the Phils had ever-so-briefly recaptured the glory of their 2008 championship season. After a hearty hotel breakfast featuring fresh, cooked-to-order food made of the finest ingredients, they jumped into the rented minivan/limousine and drove to get grocery supplies at Whole Foods, where everything in the store was always on sale.

Alternate Universe Mark led the way, cutting a dashing figure as he led his family on another adventure.

steve-rogers.jpg

Alternate Universe Julie cast adoring glances at her husband while she kept everyone organized, content and on-task.

ljljoihgugyugyghyyy.jpg

Alternate Universe Sarah was thrilled to help care for Alternate Universe Drew…

Agent-Carter-Featured-05172016.jpg

Jack-Jack-The-Incredibles-baby-a.jpg

…who was a perfect angel in the back seat, totally content everywhere we went.

Meanwhile, Alternate Universe Dave and Alternate Universe Scotty were always excited to ride along, refrained from becoming addicted to electronics, and never once asked if we were there yet.

4f21ed2b00cae.jpg

The Alternate Universe Oblivious Family drove through Minnesota to Duluth, never once encountering any traffic along the way. Then they proceeded up the beautiful Lake Superior Coast, driving all the way to Tettegouche State Park where they did a glorious hike to see this waterfall:

6723288903_0d933beacd.jpg

Then they backtracked south along the lake, stopping to enjoy the view at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park (incredibly, there was still snow on the ground in July—must have been another cold Minnesota winter):

Split_Rock_Lighthouse_-_Lake_County,_Minnesota_-_8_Jan._2009.jpg

And Gooseberry Falls:

Gooseberry-State-Falls-Bridge.jpg

They took several family photos where all six of them were looking at the camera and smiling brightly with eyes open, and all of the strangers they asked to take the photos were happy to do so and composed the shots perfectly, never forgetting to include the spectacular sights in the background.

They spent the night in Duluth, having dinner at Fitger’s Brewhouse along the lake shore, where both the burgers and the homemade root beer on draft were absolutely divine. Alternate Universe Drew took care of changing his own diapers throughout the day and sat calmly and quietly through the meal at dinnertime, and the three older Alternate Universe children looked at Alternate Universe Mark and said, “Dear Father, thank you for providing for our needs daily as well as giving us this day of wonderful memories and adventure.” And Alternate Universe Julie batted her eyes at Alternate Universe Mark and said, “Your vacation planning is absolutely perfect. There’s nothing I would have done differently. I’m so thrilled to share life with such a strong, handsome, brilliant man.” And Alternate Universe Mark gave them all an aw-shucks smile and said, “I’m just happy to be of service, and give you all the joy you deserve.”

Then, they linked arms and enjoyed a sunset stroll on the path next to Lake Superior.

THURSDAY IN THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

Thursday began with yet another gourmet breakfast at the hotel and then a joyful three-hour drive up to the very northern border of Minnesota, where they visited Voyageurs National Park. Voyageurs protects a large area of lakes and islands along the Minnesota/Canada border and was created to honor the French fur trappers (“voyageurs”) who used the interconnected waterways to explore and settle the area over 250 years ago.

The kids were very excited because they’d been signed up to participate in a Ranger program where they could learn the lifestyle of the voyageurs and, more importantly, take a ride in an authentic period canoe around the lake. Children under 5 were not allowed, so Alternate Universe Mark had graciously offered to spend quality bonding time with his youngest son so Alternate Universe Julie could experience the life of the voyageur. They all had a blast and afterwards retired to the lakeside where Alternate Universe Julie whipped up her signature sandwiches featuring a spread combining the nectar of the peanut and a red wine reduction that just explodes on the taste buds for a savory delight. The kids begged for seconds, but they had to save supplies for the rest of the trip. After that, they were back on the road for another joyous drive to the town of Bemidji.

THURSDAY IN THE REAL WORLD

All of the above may have been slightly exaggerated, but those indeed are the activities we missed out on by having our flight cancelled. As a kid, I visited both the Lake Superior coast and did the canoe ride in Voyageurs, and I had good enough memories of that trip that I wanted my kids to experience them as well. It was definitely a bummer. Maybe next time, Minnesota. Anyway, back in the real world…

The alarm went off at 1:30 a.m.

There’s no way to make that sound good. Because it isn’t good. It sucks.

The only good thing about that hour is that the roads are clear, so by the time we got into the van and on the road, we sailed through Maryland. Even the highways in D.C. were fairly clear, and that never happens except at oh-dark-thirty in the morning. We reached the terminal at Reagan Airport around 4 a.m., where my father wished us well and heroically drove our van back to his house in Delaware. He really went above and beyond the call of duty for us on this trip.

We got through security quickly—amazing how that happens when it’s 4:00 a.m. and you have no luggage other than your carry-on bags—and found our way to our gate. There was another rainstorm moving in but it wasn’t supposed to be as severe as the storms we’d faced on Tuesday.

We found some pastries for breakfast and some much-needed coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts in the airport. Then, before we knew it…things actually went as planned.

We boarded the plane on time. That was a good first step.

2gMFT4d_9cKR-kyv_u1tB_b45OuxdD6msEPDzhxOLi4OMVUwlryXInBhVqrxdzrGcYKITCZccv5QvCCKWUjUwLrAufp3FQmzBBv74oscLj64UBXfC3QdHKgUh6UBGs4gy7jHvq1lxuwsxjPltp_VZhsMsvsM35xNePL_CDzH3NT9fkeyeAjT5X_fuzJ6B3TVTEWfaIjyc0QBulmGyGBOpBYl7OnWyDn0bHXjVOu9GHxt1FB_MD4_lEWSRrRWPgRl6NOd7H0ff8J_NBFwU8g0d6msBZ8yoVIuN31MCHCwkU_tzY7WT2jKaVNYM9-y2ttFE4b06WmWTrBuFQtYpAbijAouuR65cg0M1v39cUgokEmKKFUcAE_sTdENKEBDeAfD88GXo3UoHVN5vvwHneJqjTqlWO9X6jSnadfFUWtmbWscrvL68TH7iWKTd-Mo7Zw5YsvfBk-yR2OvSjXtnld1pT6zqSdpKH7cDCrKlJvdV09bUH4JOVZlAuwq4IxfWObGl-46iwM7MH8lqIkOSysBAriJ80VnQax0tpuImEpQvJ6DLNi_cxRP5rEjZxVycvtpWnaTIBCPppxlnuVKiFpzEN6R_jf7899KtGbEHvrXiCrfjKNJ=w1122-h841-no

Then we took off on time. Also good. A couple of hours later, we landed…in Milwaukee. Our new flight gave us a layover here. We had a couple of hours before the hop to Minnesota, so we explored the Milwaukee airport a bit. I’d heard rumors of a strange magical location here before, and was on a quest to find it. And I did!

Do you ever find yourself totally discombobulated after doing the TSA Tango in the airport security line? Well, Milwaukee has you covered! They’ve helpfully provided a Recombobulation Area for you.

lcsLyz1XznbTBRUqDTObE6k4BemkrVNDbLDv_Cj0p6qApIAVKJkeXDPRsRgHFTTJM4JXt7XjvvSMzzttXfMkMcajtDcxGw8SocfVqbVG3tNpTuED4Wsn4soH-DwO_no61I5hjIegK8ZZ9ZVs851jRLk9y85Pjow7cMS9WyCK8XbZP6E2KgZY_1mqo3GyFU3jo2S6aJTt5SiyZdVdyZ8NKptNJrjoMbWj32ooF9_ayvkFHmRfjgK8nvShZp4U87Pl22Nhs4xp57AQpQXnPVP7IWUbdz3gFmsMTkYssGKB1pKeq4I5HZDatFHndWQ2toTcnH1FGY45PhnRcHklENly9Za_JL4Rqk22PLGePDRMfsbTTImwiyDgim34o3wXR5Am7IycNxrbJy-xZ2RECxP2F92nkOR0F8z8MM_dAYykMEuqBqWCylReTjHxBzs8Xk64nQMziv1QMxPpPaMy_k4GZabzPr5ktZsP1GCFx_1UXHKewV34Z-nfib2yU4F_4NZSu-deejGsiRLgX-ITIES4hRET7eed77eRKb2HN0mcpwp00JHQESfVe6PbdV0uCK6d8N8yn0GIJIsjIZnAcd2VnnS8ax9s9TJ53kW9BMdQxBnKWkJb=w1187-h792-no

They also had a nice little play area to keep Drew busy.

8HjuOtQOUhH5AK73TgJ-acH9YZCC_NqUra7dDGeKpIjWQVmrspPX3UIMNu6a8FCbTYmEFAbtrOGBHkT1vxx6gpZsR33kWtyIm_pBfDMQVT9eCnXxZFVgTE9Jf5_Op3HGfGFoxMc3j05eUAc8vRaYkMBZ0VYBBBZae_Tj52GMQsjNjYSzkpadrGvmo5_2YYWzy9ci4_0gxm8eN7YO00Jd2iq_LEEz9xrBtvpXarQvT6Y7eZyW06v9DUoX4qVmJKtsJl1-2S-4PmgNtcoeQNrdwkHWQPl0pvT9SY131T1DY7O1Bi61wVVwRbpM87kRD9gVJzTHTbL7U8kf6cRs5zrP4peNr5NeP2-yR4HfN1LiipBilkax6PVuWYeYxkvuxyFzfk2RIrW3BRkMlVwbZqnvflxvfRQKxDAG5HV6xV0Fo5MfuhdgRZ1c1J-ZrJtuw4IN5esjMXfpMNU-Upa_xRt5ldITKaL2bN0s1Jf5nKng4ngLKGV2z5Z7n1oSLDyxnAhxrdMHju9z8_iTwqssYayfFNs46zsP9OABba1HRdX8KhDHgDPhM03a26iiOnwNYVrqTVpMCWkIzsZ3V3i20Pb9Qw3wIMsHN1_UYhl2bElBs6MbwqrB=w1187-h792-no

And you can’t kill time without taking Scotty to the crappy gift shops.

Le0E0e_kZm3nshn9eWy6vt_3HJqkdS00Ycoyw97BP7PZhSFA1ujHqPDhyL8Xa-O81TOZ4SbWLI0fsIVM8p0rupFJ578hIfe8QmMEaf9d-Udq3iTSsTmjeDLbf7f5JsA8FpguDOPTpZCpMb6vd2tJ5gTYyGTQlGd7yrY4cNYHdKFthI-mZSYZekWVJP1jr7IgvlhXcXpBT_fnzVHy7POlu-pE9xUnh5VNo5w75OgqH9K9GcPLYLKzoQpMZ2yHaap70CS6oJqb8Ti98ezRm8VUFEl2x3A4QtCuXlRrLKUf0YSqd1IupokV-NGGGaRg-CMeNjGSMxzJ7xYfTHiPL0jIAnYgEvK-AmQtTpMug9ahw1I1mvf1rGrxjHCFxmoL2Bh7NzZCQdtPCD2A3yN0gmZILGPg0V9Xk3c4Cc5D3Q5DlnjQjWZPZfE-o9nKD9djUqJoqQ8PDFz1aUeMvTynRFIvmDQyQSJ7cPNia_222EzLlwYSZa237X6gBzEtEKoKIFpruJXPitdbwZeO7nNhwQkhJ8m8TIEYKWfxsid67FUxtfIzQmHBjLFsbtzdUE7VicNVfSWhw4VeD0RI68scNYV4R3SSmWDAzb3QPazM1dvEDjScpF67=w1122-h841-no

We got on the next plane and took a short hop over to Minneapolis. Finally, two days later, we were ready to start the vacation. We went to the baggage claim and found Gail, who indeed had all of our bags ready to go. We thanked her for her help and then walked across the street to the rental car lot, where we were still hoping that Enterprise had honored our phone-handshake deal and kept our van ready for us.

As it turned out, the communication there hadn’t been perfect, but they did indeed have a van for us and honored our original rate. With that, we could finally relax and start traveling!

We drove about five miles and then stopped. We were all hungry. We had planned to shop for our food supplies once we’d arrived, but in this case hunger took precedence and we decided to buy lunch. Instead of the usual fast-food chains, we opted for a different fast-food chain: Culver’s. This is a Midwest chain that has no locations on the East Coast. So we figured we might as well try something new.

And we actually liked it a lot! It’s still greasy fast food, but they had a couple of things going for them. One: fried cheese curds. These little bits of heaven are like mozzarella sticks, except with little melted nuggets of cheddar cheese inside instead. Excellent! And very nutritious, because the Midwest is known for nothing if not for healthy eating.

F_KcJiqrdkaCsKY1tfuYda2RrKdm2sgwRmlxGQnnHnnBHq8rBTk8uiCoFRERvZVgHc2yp1EYtbpwIU6WhSTUKLJfIbmbbF4cyxhsUYDUKrAbXjQWiY4niSiHrhSWHcWHT1OTB88ZXhAMT5edjnI-a6yeJqNclLbZsmRa2nVHv7JXOxuQb0Hw4DlpKlLOuR6CkiqfTb70B8focMotMyNo7U4-lHIyUljVLgJ-FSm-w-E2dhJWVv4RTUCEWnZnSgaqXV1aXu2y0Uf-UDZAsMBxU8iIHzxLpRFX7QJPtkbuf9QRGdr3S8gsjFdoxrTzwT4RJnGNHm0c5tCxsSriTvhKjsqzeFBHKqEtLbbMM-CP0K3nZ4_X-3-czJqpk9_OJBjXTxuxNlBfRIJNATcj2OxCImlwIi4nFh8EM_g-HJKFeDeMOFbzBISGQEuYpXGS9lAjvNMoY0mpf9c4N1o-vLrDK1Dwt8PpOpCE2Nh45P_3nL1TvavA27nLYvOXVHw1XvGEkcV0l6KzW6zJs4n99P11JVp3iTXlXWSsdpvM-DgnFqeStU-KXIPeWn96Xxus5PVg7nJ_xRKUsxaZgOFHC_llPMzJf60G1W0WJiFvi2XcqWSkl-Pi=w631-h841-no

The other secret weapon was the frozen custard they offer for dessert. Custard is basically the same thing as ice cream, only fattier. Which also means deliciousier.

So Culver’s got a thumbs-up from us, and a promise to go back whenever we got tired of PB&J sandwiches. Speaking of which, we found a Wal-mart nearby and loaded up on our road trip supplies. This is our way of saving money on the trip so we can afford to be on the road for two weeks and see so many things. Unfortunately, trying to fit the supplies into an already-stuffed minivan means the kids end up looking like they’re playing a game of 3-D Twister as they pretzel themselves in and around the various boxes and bags. Ah, memories.

We set out for Bemidji. That’s where we had planned to stay on Thursday night, and it would have been a much more convenient stop coming from Voyageurs National Park instead of Minneapolis. Nevertheless, I didn’t want to have to keep changing and cancelling reservations, so we’d made the decision to drive there from the airport and then catch up with our plan. Also, Julie really likes saying “Bemidji”, and I didn’t want to deprive her of the chance to see it.

The drive was four hours from Minneapolis, but luckily the adrenaline from traveling beat out the exhaustion from waking up so early. We made it to our hotel, a new Country Inn located right on the shore of Lake Bemidji, and got checked in. There’s a nice walking path all along the lake shore that goes into town, so we took a walk to stretch our legs and find a place to eat dinner.

There’s one major tourist attraction in Bemidji, and it’s a truly iconic place. I’m talking about a real bucket-list destination, the kind of place your kids will talk about with their children someday. And it may have taken us three days to get there with all of the corresponding exhaustion, stress, and frustration that went along with it, but all of that seemed like distant and minor trifles now. We travel in order to show our kids the world. To give them experience they’ll always cherish, and never forget. To show them that humanity is both very much the same and very different all around the world. And now, adding to that rich legacy, we could show once more that all of that investment and struggle was all worthwhile. Because we could see giant concrete statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

sKMXSLKJTef8AqYFJlgZkMrgoRvC5JKUVpVtMjcF1QS9G7LIOK9C-Z6YRmt9nToiqsG6y2CIP6P3anb8KcSDQgQ80owsgIgFwxhwKjZK78X8luj73DQVA50Pqf7_3xYRo8GJ8RfvF-qURdyOMFFWEZN1E8nBx37KmNRV-RUj-hHQK2QchT9aBmJgbcR3lflcWdPTGuW7dLyUW2xbhX9G6GMShXSef8iaeJO07LVsWAV5xkD5JZwUUI3MSbL27cL_wFs4u5uOvbaJYOKdYRf5FdWO5r2dR2RVWZmlOXZWleZnq9Ofh2BhgD7ueqy7RRK2C-rmXArEL75rsL8mXly7qZCHTnIG3u12x02mFg_1hUtQFZHSH6kfPUiWSl0HbZ-OcLKgf8gEVKK9HJ7foDKNXTKJgoynGOq8hcz2nlnod3rLOsABlSsTbSC0yMiHN2O8N0u0i4wipKrNFyyxK6VEmpkj6NwMD8pfuk2R1pK9smSWvloxQQlEO7EBBVW8fYOqyG-x602NQVi__UsX87pmM6s7NPhWIAS1oyIhIhwV9AfnuR-bnUeagWbKb5ZHGXoKhluYThW_Jzsmp0cMj96eIKWmD8PxwaGrwilgaR2DwYcInKjN=w1122-h841-no

I’m sure the kids really appreciated this moment. They kept asking if we could leave to go get pizza, but I’m pretty sure that’s their way of saying they were honored to be there.

We found a chain restaurant called the Green Mill that specialized in Chicago-style deep dish pizza, which sounded like it would hit the spot right about then. And it did. Not the best we’ve ever had, not the worst, but it satisfied hungry stomachs.

We walked along the lakeshore back to the hotel (that Country Inn was really nice, by the way) and enjoyed the late afternoon weather. We were finally hitting the wall and ready to catch up on some sleep. We went to our room and opened our bags to get our pajamas and toiletries unpacked. And that’s when we got our last kick-in-the-you-know-what from Southwest.

Our clothes were wet.

Seems as though our bags had been left on the baggage carts out on the tarmac during those big storms back on Tuesday. A couple of bags were better than others, but now we had to go about emptying the bags and trying to dry clothes around the room while we slept.

Yes, Southwest Airlines received a very strongly-worded message from me that very night. And to their credit, they did reach out and work with me to make things right. But that doesn’t change the fact that this was really crappy customer service. From a company that usually does much better.

We finally collapsed into bed. The nightmare was over (we hoped) and we would hopefully be back on track the next day. We still had a great deal of the country to explore.

At least the hotel clerk had hooked us up with a nice room. I’ll leave you with our view.

aj1Rs3Yh914ZgMlXJFgFAl8xpjJpPVJDjK0CcC3bPQ6r23Yrp5p1bGUjZymtyHdItZEELHMU8RmyU8px9H-OAFrX6cQfg0fJpKCXdijoE8JY5ypMtSAribw562kj8baa-j5rgXiqX_yL6Iyhn8buXwUHD8HBS3Y7GTsDN3hQ9JbYvje9CBzKuJnEQ2kESXkQAsRCQca8z5-87MkgvFyZTKxTelcdhG6mzsOfg1gi6mh5TRsVGdGRnTCpCDGT3zIzp9_BkNpmKd9i1tQbiM6k0k-hJeyjwkpw1Iyi2aPaSZVTrZiKIU2aUWzD4KL5iOYW-WDrL2siqKfK1Q0J0ZP2kMh5G8OM4Hk5H02sV6hyMcGBjek4iMwYGko38Wxd-JeS69ehQ6KhMb7RzO-JMhRKd-wtWRYCsLOJ4TiLzNE9Z3d3VZtquFEiIhEX2m8Sfnb8yIqkR7rQl4inre4ZZzNOuJ0Na0ML8IpMimwgEdbutlKz58Uu_mvITt2q5VXZxzmJkMEiW1ufN0-dPZKEBgAJ1CTOUZvkKlpyE8fTY3RXRH2SSna_54jXNPN3VDBSKlpbWZD90E4q41bDAPnhwbdis7velglDp3mC05O3FZr7uBBJRNRq=w1187-h792-no

Coming Up Next: Our first encounter with the mighty, rushing Mississippi River. A DISMeet in spirit (with bacon). And more excitement than you could possibly handle as we drive across the amazing landscape of North Dakota.

No.
I finally snapped like a twig yesterday.
Called in sick for my last midnight shift.
And there's more.... details on my TR in a bit.

Oh, no. I'll head on over to hear the sordid details. Hope you're ok.

See? There ya go.

Sigh.

That's so you can tell the difference between me and u.

I see what you did there!

Wait.... You don't?

Well...not since The Incident.

YIKES!!!! This has to be one of the WORST airline stories EVER!!! What a MESS- that you all held it together is spectacular. Gold Medals all around-

Pretty crappy day, to be sure!

:welcome: aboard, Ellen!

Because we could see giant concrete statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

YOU SAW PAUL BUNYAN AND BABE? Sweet. Bet the kids will be talking about this 20 years from now.

Glad the trip got back on track. I like alternative world myself, but then I wake up.

Wow. That Alternative Universe vacation was pretty sweet. Especially with the oh-so-angelic children. Can I get one of those vacations?

So much better than your actual first 2 days of "vacation."

But, Babe the Blue Ox! In concrete! That, at least, was awesome.

Two Roads Diverged In a Wood, And I…I Was Stuck In Delaware
Just remember, when you come to a fork in the road…
take it.

Especially if it’s pointing out of Delaware.
Except you might what to hang around for a while when there’s a hurricane warning, apparently.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

--"Casey At The Bat", Ernest Thayer
Yes, but even Casey gets a second chance…
Walt says so…

Dosen’t mean he won’t mess it up again, but still…

WEDNESDAY IN THE REAL WORLD
Gawd… that sounds supremely awful.

Oh, and we had no clothes except what we were wearing, and no toiletries because ours were presumably on their way to Minneapolis.
Still don’t quite understand how they pulled that one off.

We had some breakfast and scrounged up some toothbrushes from somewhere
From “somewhere”?…
That might qualify as thrill seeking.

Seriously, we were in bad shape here. Drew made the trip home wearing nothing but a diaper and sandals.
Somehow, that seems to suit him, though.

it felt awful to be in my house knowing I was wasting another day of precious annual leave from work.
A true insult piled on top of that rest of the injury.

Awesome. They were probably in Seattle by now.
The Cascades are lovely that time of year.

If you don’t have a Wawa near you, I feel sorry for you.
I’ll live…

Their food is surprisingly good for a convenience store.
Sound’s a lot like a “QT”
do y’all have those up there to compare?

Shortly after lunch, we got a call from Gail at Southwest in Minneapolis: our bags were there! She would be holding them until we arrived on Thursday. That was a huge relief.
First win of the trip.
Sort’a…

(Hey, nearly any win is a win at this point, I’d ’ve been happy about it)

Of course, this means that they probably were still in Baltimore on Tuesday night
Yeah, I suspected that scenario as well…
OK, more of a tie then a win, I guess.

so we could have gotten them back except for airport workers who were either clueless as to what bags they actually held or just too lazy to get them for us.
Hey, it was raining that day.
You can’t expect people to work under such extreme conditions.

WEDNESDAY IN THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE
Cool! It’s like an episode of Star Trek.
There’s always a convent Temporal Rift in the Space-Time Continuum when you need one.

The Oblivious Family woke early, having thoroughly enjoyed the Phillies’ epic 9th-inning comeback against the Minnesota Twins the night before in which the Phils had ever-so-briefly recaptured the glory of their 2008 championship season.
Also the year of the economic crash.
Coincidence?

After a hearty hotel breakfast featuring fresh, cooked-to-order food made of the finest ingredients
And at a Super-8 of all places. Who knew!

they jumped into the rented minivan/limousine
No, no no…
Alternate universe!... Remember?

At worst it was one of these…
article-0-18A81E5D000005DC-215_634x344.jpg

and in a more perfect galaxy it ought to be one of these pieces of junk…
millennium-falcon-4_9c006047.jpeg

Alternate Universe Mark led the way, cutting a dashing figure as he led his family on another adventure.

steve-rogers.jpg
Wrong Captain….

Alternate Universe Julie cast adoring glances at her husband while she kept everyone organized, content and on-task.

ljljoihgugyugyghyyy.jpg
Wait!
You mean that not the actual Julie?

This can’t be so…
I’m crushed.

(incredibly, there was still snow on the ground in July—must have been another cold Minnesota winter):
Who says that the hemispheres have to be oriented the same in an alternate universe.

all of the strangers they asked to take the photos were happy to do so and composed the shots perfectly, never forgetting to include the spectacular sights in the background.
Now you’re just making stuff up.

They spent the night in Duluth, having dinner at Fitger’s Brewhouse along the lake shore, where both the burgers and the homemade root beer on draft were absolutely divine.
Hate you missed that one.
I’ll have to go back over to our local brew house for some of their divine burgers and homemade root beer (and porters and stouts and ales, oh my) to make up for this unfortunate missed opportunity.

I’ll raise a glass in your honor when I get there.

Alternate Universe Drew took care of changing his own diapers throughout the day and sat calmly and quietly through the meal at dinnertime
But… but…
Then what on earth would you write about?

the three older Alternate Universe children looked at Alternate Universe Mark and said, “Dear Father, thank you for providing for our needs daily as well as giving us this day of wonderful memories and adventure.”
That will happen.
You probably won’t actually hear it first hand, but that one.
That’s happenin’.

they could learn the lifestyle of the voyageurs and, more importantly, take a ride in an authentic period canoe around the lake.
I do believe that would have been more of a hit than they’d know.

THURSDAY IN THE REAL WORLD
smashed-radio.jpg

All of the above may have been slightly exaggerated…
get

but those indeed are the activities we missed out on by having our flight cancelled.
ba7439f5-8561-425c-92f4-fed23e9935d2_l.jpg

We reached the terminal at Reagan Airport around 4 a.m., where my father wished us well and heroically drove our van back to his house in Delaware. He really went above and beyond the call of duty for us on this trip.
There’s Captain America

We found some pastries for breakfast and some much-needed coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts
Is that Dunkin’ or Drunkin’?

They’ve helpfully provided a Recombobulation Area for you.
A true American Landmark worthy of being sought out.

As it turned out, the communication there hadn’t been perfect, but they did indeed have a van for us and honored our original rate.
We’ll call it a win, then.

we opted for a different fast-food chain: Culver’s. This is a Midwest chain that has no locations on the East Coast.
Errrr…

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Oh, too bad but…
Sorry, no points this time; thanks for playing.

There is a Culver’s not five miles from my house.
Good greasy burgers, fried cheese, custard & malts…
What’s not to like.

Unfortunately, trying to fit the supplies into an already-stuffed minivan means the kids end up looking like they’re playing a game of 3-D Twister as they pretzel themselves in and around the various boxes and bags. Ah, memories.
What?
No pictures?

Also, Julie really likes saying “Bemidji”…
Just rolls off the tongue.
Rolls almost as well as:
Wile… E… Coyote… Suuuuuper… Geeeeeenius…

Ranks up there with such noble and historic place names as Murderkill, as well.

There’s one major tourist attraction in Bemidji, and it’s a truly iconic place. I’m talking about a real bucket-list destination, the kind of place your kids will talk about with their children someday. And it may have taken us three days to get there with all of the corresponding exhaustion, stress, and frustration that went along with it, but all of that seemed like distant and minor trifles now. We travel in order to show our kids the world. To give them experience they’ll always cherish, and never forget. To show them that humanity is both very much the same and very different all around the world. And now, adding to that rich legacy, we could show once more that all of that investment and struggle was all worthwhile.
Alright P. T.
Settle down there.

Because we could see giant concrete statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

sKMXSLKJTef8AqYFJlgZkMrgoRvC5JKUVpVtMjcF1QS9G7LIOK9C-Z6YRmt9nToiqsG6y2CIP6P3anb8KcSDQgQ80owsgIgFwxhwKjZK78X8luj73DQVA50Pqf7_3xYRo8GJ8RfvF-qURdyOMFFWEZN1E8nBx37KmNRV-RUj-hHQK2QchT9aBmJgbcR3lflcWdPTGuW7dLyUW2xbhX9G6GMShXSef8iaeJO07LVsWAV5xkD5JZwUUI3MSbL27cL_wFs4u5uOvbaJYOKdYRf5FdWO5r2dR2RVWZmlOXZWleZnq9Ofh2BhgD7ueqy7RRK2C-rmXArEL75rsL8mXly7qZCHTnIG3u12x02mFg_1hUtQFZHSH6kfPUiWSl0HbZ-OcLKgf8gEVKK9HJ7foDKNXTKJgoynGOq8hcz2nlnod3rLOsABlSsTbSC0yMiHN2O8N0u0i4wipKrNFyyxK6VEmpkj6NwMD8pfuk2R1pK9smSWvloxQQlEO7EBBVW8fYOqyG-x602NQVi__UsX87pmM6s7NPhWIAS1oyIhIhwV9AfnuR-bnUeagWbKb5ZHGXoKhluYThW_Jzsmp0cMj96eIKWmD8PxwaGrwilgaR2DwYcInKjN=w1122-h841-no
I’m shocked… Shocked, I tell you!
That actually lives up to the hype.

We went to our room and opened our bags to get our pajamas and toiletries unpacked. And that’s when we got our last kick-in-the-you-know-what from Southwest.

Our clothes were wet.
Wow… Just wow.
That’s just…. Ummm…

Wow.

At least the hotel clerk had hooked us up with a nice room. I’ll leave you with our view.
aj1Rs3Yh914ZgMlXJFgFAl8xpjJpPVJDjK0CcC3bPQ6r23Yrp5p1bGUjZymtyHdItZEELHMU8RmyU8px9H-OAFrX6cQfg0fJpKCXdijoE8JY5ypMtSAribw562kj8baa-j5rgXiqX_yL6Iyhn8buXwUHD8HBS3Y7GTsDN3hQ9JbYvje9CBzKuJnEQ2kESXkQAsRCQca8z5-87MkgvFyZTKxTelcdhG6mzsOfg1gi6mh5TRsVGdGRnTCpCDGT3zIzp9_BkNpmKd9i1tQbiM6k0k-hJeyjwkpw1Iyi2aPaSZVTrZiKIU2aUWzD4KL5iOYW-WDrL2siqKfK1Q0J0ZP2kMh5G8OM4Hk5H02sV6hyMcGBjek4iMwYGko38Wxd-JeS69ehQ6KhMb7RzO-JMhRKd-wtWRYCsLOJ4TiLzNE9Z3d3VZtquFEiIhEX2m8Sfnb8yIqkR7rQl4inre4ZZzNOuJ0Na0ML8IpMimwgEdbutlKz58Uu_mvITt2q5VXZxzmJkMEiW1ufN0-dPZKEBgAJ1CTOUZvkKlpyE8fTY3RXRH2SSna_54jXNPN3VDBSKlpbWZD90E4q41bDAPnhwbdis7velglDp3mC05O3FZr7uBBJRNRq=w1187-h792-no
And all was right with the world.

Sort’a…

For now…

Hay, there’s missiles and henges and big rocks on the horizon
It’s all gonn’a be good.

Last edited:
The Real World Oblivious Family scenario sucked. Really hard. In about 30 years the kids will all look back and give a faint smile of nostalgic memory to their own kids around a family Thanksgiving. Until then, they'll wonder how they survived those 2 incredibly crappy days.

But, HEY! You're really somewhere now seeing fantastic sights and landmarks. You know, like giant cement behemoths. LOL!

And doing noble tasks like drying your own suitcase contents out. :crazy2: :sad2:

It's gotta be all uphill from here.... right? Right?!

You made it somewhere!!! I can hardly believe it!!

I know, right? Will wonders never cease?

That view though, stunning! I think it will all be worth it in the end!

We really liked that hotel (and the room!). Nice view of the lake. I hope you're right--we shall see!

YOU SAW PAUL BUNYAN AND BABE? Sweet. Bet the kids will be talking about this 20 years from now.

Absolutely! It's a seminal moment. They'll be talking about it like, "Why did we stop there again?"

Glad the trip got back on track. I like alternative world myself, but then I wake up.

Me too, my friend. Me too. Although I think that alternate photo of me was pretty close to the real thing.

Wow. That Alternative Universe vacation was pretty sweet. Especially with the oh-so-angelic children. Can I get one of those vacations?

Sure, if I ever figure out how to make it happen!

So much better than your actual first 2 days of "vacation."

We're not even in the same zip code.

But, Babe the Blue Ox! In concrete! That, at least, was awesome.

Sure, "awesome" is one word that could be used. :rotfl2:

If by Mudville, you mean Dover, Delaware, then yeah—no joy was to be found on Wednesday morning.

Oddly enough... I'm not overly surprised.

Oh, and we had no clothes except what we were wearing, and no toiletries because ours were presumably on their way to Minneapolis.

Don't be jealous. At least someone's having a nice vacation.

something.

Our goals were modest: a shower and a change of clothes.

Good to set goals.

Bad shape? Bad? This is what I plan to wear every day when I retire!

Showering that morning felt like being kissed by angels.

I believe you. Nothing like a shower when you're beat.

I was still feeling grumpy, though

Did he file a sexual assault charge against you?

it felt awful to be in my house knowing I was wasting another day of precious annual leave from work.

Ugh. The worst.
"Can I come in and work today and get the day tacked onto the end of my vacation?"

Gail hadn’t seen our bags yet, but she promised to let us know if she did. Awesome.

I know this! I know this!
"What are words said to people to get them to hang up and leave me alone!"

They were probably in Seattle by now.

I don't know if I should laugh at this.... for all I know... they are.

everyone got subs from Wawa.

I can't stop thinking of the MASH episode where Klinger is cutting Potter's hair.
"You outta be in pictures... WAWA.
You're the picture of health... WAWA."

"Klinger, enough with the wawas."

Wawa is a Philadelphia-area institution and quite simply the greatest convenience store in the world. If you don’t have a Wawa near you, I feel sorry for you. But don’t worry, they are expanding. I even saw a few in Florida last time I was there. Anyway, they were having their annual summer “Hoagiefest” where their 10-inch subs are $5 apiece. Their food is surprisingly good for a convenience store.

Huh. I was sure you were going the other way. Interesting.

Shortly after lunch, we got a call from Gail at Southwest in Minneapolis: our bags were there!

:faint:

Of course, this means that they probably were still in Baltimore on Tuesday night when we were trying to retrieve them and hadn’t traveled until Wednesday morning, so we could have gotten them back except for airport workers who were either clueless as to what bags they actually held or just too lazy to get them for us.

I'm going to go with option #2.

that meant we needed to spend the night at my parents’ house and wake up at 1:30 a.m.

Good Lord. I'm sure getting the kids up then was a piece of cake.

It was even worse for my dad, who would be getting up at that hour just to drive us to the airport. He wouldn’t even get a vacation out of it.

Nah. Dads live for stuff like that.

The Oblivious Family woke early, having thoroughly enjoyed the Phillies’ epic 9th-inning comeback against the Minnesota Twins the night before in which the Phils had ever-so-briefly recaptured the glory of their 2008 championship season. After a hearty hotel breakfast featuring fresh, cooked-to-order food made of the finest ingredients, they jumped into the rented minivan/limousine and drove to get grocery supplies at Whole Foods, where everything in the store was always on sale.

You may be over selling it dude.

Maybe.

ljljoihgugyugyghyyy.jpg

I'm officially in love with alternate universe Julie.

…who was a perfect angel in the back seat, totally content everywhere we went.

Wait.... did you sedate him?
This is possible.

Meanwhile, Alternate Universe Dave and Alternate Universe Scotty were always excited to ride along, refrained from becoming addicted to electronics, and never once asked if we were there yet.

Okay, now I know this didn't happen.
There's just no way.

where they did a glorious hike to see this waterfall:

6723288903_0d933beacd.jpg

Wow but that's pretty. Really sucks you didn't get to see that.

(incredibly, there was still snow on the ground in July—must have been another cold Minnesota winter):

It happens.

and all of the strangers they asked to take the photos were happy to do so and composed the shots perfectly, never forgetting to include the spectacular sights in the background.

If all those strangers were professional photogs.... it could happen.

“Dear Father, thank you for providing for our needs daily as well as giving us this day of wonderful memories and adventure.”

:lmao:

Although they should be trained to say this. Even if it requires beatings at regular intervals.

“Your vacation planning is absolutely perfect. There’s nothing I would have done differently. I’m so thrilled to share life with such a strong, handsome, brilliant man.”

You had me right up until "with"

All of the above may have been slightly exaggerated

Nah. I buy it.

Anyway, back in the real world…

The alarm went off at 1:30 a.m.

There’s no way to make that sound good. Because it isn’t good. It sucks.

It doesn't get any realer than 1:30 am.

The only good thing about that hour is that the roads are clear,

::yes:: I really don't mind driving to work at 6am. Zero traffic.

my father wished us well and heroically drove our van back to his house in Delaware. He really went above and beyond the call of duty for us on this trip.

See above comment about Dads.

There was another rainstorm moving in but it wasn’t supposed to be as severe as the storms we’d faced on Tuesday.

Can you imagine????

Then, before we knew it…things actually went as planned.

Thank goodness. I mean... finally!

"You kids look alert and happy for the photo!"

Do you ever find yourself totally discombobulated after doing the TSA Tango in the airport security line? Well, Milwaukee has you covered! They’ve helpfully provided a Recombobulation Area for you.

:laughing: That's great!

As it turned out, the communication there hadn’t been perfect, but they did indeed have a van for us and honored our original rate. With that, we could finally relax and start traveling!

Wait, they did have a van? But not the one you wanted?

we opted for a different fast-food chain: Culver’s. This is a Midwest chain that has no locations on the East Coast. So we figured we might as well try something new.

Seen the signs... never been in one, though.

The other secret weapon was the frozen custard they offer for dessert. Custard is basically the same thing as ice cream, only fattier. Which also means deliciousier.

mmmm.... custard.
Must stop next time.

Unfortunately, trying to fit the supplies into an already-stuffed minivan means the kids end up looking like they’re playing a game of 3-D Twister as they pretzel themselves in and around the various boxes and bags.

Meh. That's what they're there for. As long as the adults are comfy, that's all that matters.

Also, Julie really likes saying “Bemidji”, and I didn’t want to deprive her of the chance to see it.

At work, we say it on occasion.
Never gets old.

I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure those are the same ones my folks saw in the 50s/early 60s.

I’m sure the kids really appreciated this moment. They kept asking if we could leave to go get pizza, but I’m pretty sure that’s their way of saying they were honored to be there.

:laughing:

Our clothes were wet.

Oh, COME ON!!!

Seems as though our bags had been left on the baggage carts out on the tarmac during those big storms back on Tuesday. A couple of bags were better than others, but now we had to go about emptying the bags and trying to dry clothes around the room while we slept.

:sad2:

Yes, Southwest Airlines received a very strongly-worded message from me that very night. And to their credit, they did reach out and work with me to make things right. But that doesn’t change the fact that this was really crappy customer service. From a company that usually does much better.

What did they wind up doing for you?

We finally collapsed into bed. The nightmare was over (we hoped)

God, I hope so!

That's a right purty view, too.

A DISMeet in spirit (with bacon).

:sad1: Still not happy about that.

Oh, no. I'll head on over to hear the sordid details. Hope you're ok.

Oh, yeah. It's all good.
But you know that now.

Well...not since The Incident.

Don't mention the War!

If by Mudville, you mean Dover, Delaware, then yeah—no joy was to be found on Wednesday morning. We’d crashed at my parents’ house and awoke in the morning tired and grumpy. Oh, and we had no clothes except what we were wearing, and no toiletries because ours were presumably on their way to Minneapolis.
Wow. Misery. I got nothing else…

OK, sorry. The first bit was depressing. But now I’m smiling because I can’t help but think of waking up in the morning wearing nothing but a diaper and sandals and wondering what the heck I did the night before.

The kids were very excited because they’d been signed up to participate in a Ranger program where they could learn the lifestyle of the voyageurs and, more importantly, take a ride in an authentic period canoe around the lake.
What a bummer. The canoe trip sounds great. I enjoy canoeing when I get a chance, so something like that would be right up my alley.

One: fried cheese curds. These little bits of heaven are like mozzarella sticks, except with little melted nuggets of cheddar cheese inside instead. Excellent! And very nutritious, because the Midwest is known for nothing if not for healthy eating.
What’s not healthy? The cheese is dairy and the breading is grain. There’s two food groups in one right there!

Our clothes were wet.
:sad2: Not cool, not cool at all.

That is a pretty awesome view to enjoy while drying clothes. I’ve had worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter