2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of the Magic Kingdom, these locations already have alcohol and specialty beverages available ala carte. I don't see why tha would have to change for OOP guests.

So you're suggesting that those paying with DDP credits will get an alcoholic drink/specialty beverage instead of the regular drink, but those paying OOP will not get the alcohol unless they want to pay extra. Perhaps. That would be an extra incentive for guests to purchase and use the DDP. But that would definitely start eating into Disney's profits.

The menu for a dining plan are sometimes different than just paying out of pocket and that was a bit frustrating.
Really? I have never heard of that before. We have done Free Dining a few times, back in the day, 2005-2008, but never heard of such. What I am most interested in is the possibility of just paying OPP for a 5 year old and using her credit for an adult meal. If possible of course.

Was also just planning on doing the dining plan for just one night of our trip, if they still allow DVC reservations to do that. I could stretch out the three table service meals into four table service meals.

Really? I have never heard of that before. We have done Free Dining a few times, back in the day, 2005-2008, but never heard of such. What I am most interested in is the possibility of just paying OPP for a 5 year old and using her credit for an adult meal. If possible of course.

Was also just planning on doing the dining plan for just one night of our trip, if they still allow DVC reservations to do that. I could stretch out the three table service meals into four table service meals.
There is no difference between kids and adults on the deluxe plan...but there is on the other 2. But quick service it really doesnt matter. We were at brown derby and noticed our dessert options were different than other people in the restaurant. We actually had no option but 1...take it or leave it. Btown derby was disappointing, as was Sanaa...and I was really looking forward to Sanaa. Tiffins was exceptional. CRT and BOG were awesome. But just too much money. But it was our first visit and we learned what worked for us and what didn't.

There is no difference between kids and adults on the deluxe plan...but there is on the other 2. But quick service it really doesnt matter. We were at brown derby and noticed our dessert options were different than other people in the restaurant. We actually had no option but 1...take it or leave it. Btown derby was disappointing, as was Sanaa...and I was really looking forward to Sanaa. Tiffins was exceptional. CRT and BOG were awesome. But just too much money. But it was our first visit and we learned what worked for us and what didn't.
That is a complete shame about the dessert options at Brown Derby. I call that a bait and switch.

That is a complete shame about the dessert options at Brown Derby. I call that a bait and switch.

Did you purchase the Fantasmic! package at Brown Derby? With the show packages they include a set dessert but I’ve never had to order a specific item when just using a dining credit. I know they do this with the Fant! package at Mama Melrose as well; on the package you get a dessert sampler, but if you’re just ordering dinner and paying with credits you can chose whatever dessert you like.

Did you purchase the Fantasmic! package at Brown Derby? With the show packages they include a set dessert but I’ve never had to order a specific item when just using a dining credit. I know they do this with the Fant! package at Mama Melrose as well; on the package you get a dessert sampler, but if you’re just ordering dinner and paying with credits you can chose whatever dessert you like.
Oh no, just thinking about doing a dining plan for one night next year.

The biggest changes for 2018 is alcohol w meals. If it is alcohol w all meals but buffet, there may be a revolt. We will find out soon enough!

Except we are (supposedly) all adults and can read. If the meal we choose to use our credits on doesn't have or include an alcoholic drink, then we forfeit that particular component, in the same way we do when using them on breakfast which does not include the dessert. What if you choose to use a TS meal at Crystal Palace, Tony's, Liberty Tavern or The Plaza where there is no alcohol served? Do we think Disney is finally going to bring alcohol to all of MK or will people quit going to those restaurants because there is no alcohol?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do think Disney did NOT think this all the way through, and that is what will cause the frustration, complaining, and un-magicalness for many people.

Last edited:
That is a good point about the MK restaurants that don't serve alcohol....im all for a cocktail with dinner but I sure hope they don't start serving alcohol in those restaurants for the simple reason that its always been that way, and i think its good for the family enviroment , Don't get me wrong I'm excited about being able to get a cocktail included in my meals but MK has always been "dry" BOG having alcohol was a big deal...

Last edited:
Do you think we can use a snack credit for an adult beverage?

Many meals include a non-alcoholic drink w an option to buy alcoholic. Will this allow the alcoholic? Shrug
MK also has booze at skippers canteen. Slowly booze is becoming allowed

A snack credit has never been allowed for alcohol, that won't change

Here's the problem:
View attachment 288729

This is the basis for confusion and debate. A buffet doesn't currently include a specialty beverage, and the 2018 dining plan does not say it's included next year. What are the options?
1. Maybe folks on the dining plan will get a specialty beverage in addition to (or instead of) the normal beverage that's included with a buffet.
2. Maybe Disney will increase buffet pricing and give everyone a specialty beverage
3. Or, based on what's published, folks on the dining plan will not get a specialty beverage at buffets.
I am adding in the **included from the WDW site "**If available; buffet excludes specialty beverages that are sold separately (2017 plan only).". It does appear specialty beverages will be an option for the 2018 plan at buffets.

Not sure what you mean by "no difference between kids and adults on the deluxe plan but there is on the other two ".....currently both the quick service and deluxe plans pool adult and child credits, in case anyone else is confused.

Except we are (supposedly) all adults and can read. If the meal we choose to use our credits on doesn't have or include an alcoholic drink, then we forfeit that particular component, in the same way we do when using them on breakfast which does not include the dessert. What if you choose to use a TS meal at Crystal Palace, Tony's, Liberty Tavern or The Plaza where there is no alcohol served? Do we think Disney is finally going to bring alcohol to all of MK or will people quit going to those restaurants because there is no alcohol?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do think Disney did NOT think this all the way through, and that is what will cause the frustration, complaining, and un-magicalness for many people.

Liberty Tree Tavern and Tony's both serve alcohol.

Liberty Tree Tavern and Tony's both serve alcohol.

Well, learn something new every day. I had never noticed that and just assumed since MK was supposedly dry until BoG and the Skipper Canteen. Have they always served alcohol or did that come along with BoG?

I'm not sure, but when I began making our plans several months ago, they both listed it on their menus. One of the reasons we chose to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern using the DDP!!

Well, learn something new every day. I had never noticed that and just assumed since MK was supposedly dry until BoG and the Skipper Canteen. Have they always served alcohol or did that come along with BoG?

It came later. Tony's didn't serve alcohol in 2012 and LTT didn't as recently as 2015 (my last visit to those two restaurants), but both have wine/beer on the menu now.

Was also just planning on doing the dining plan for just one night of our trip, if they still allow DVC reservations to do that.
The only way you can do a dining plan for one night is if the one night is a separate reservation - If you had a weeks stay at one resort you could drop one night and book a different

brown derby and noticed our dessert options were different than other people in the restaurant.
The fantasmic package has a dessert sampler so yes you are offered different desserts when you do the fantasmic package. other than that the dining plan does not result in different offerings.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the dessert differences for the fantasmic package

All info here regarding pooled credits is currently the case. Stay tuned for 2018. Will it change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter