2017 WBPC: Zen, Self-Deprecation, and Reflections of a Life Well Cruised

Great TR! I'm looking forward to our EBPC this fall and your Cozumel excursion just jumped to the top of my list.

It was really fun, I would highly recommend it. Although we've been to Cozumel 3 or 4 times before, we've never been to the east side of the island. This excursion gave us the opportunity to finally see that. It's beautiful.

JG

So... we also rented one of those dune buggies while were in Cozumel the last time. We had that green one in the background of your picture. OMG! I had to fall in it to get in, and then it must have looked equally hilarious watching me trying to get out.

I wasn't really able to step on those side panels. I'm just over 5 feet tall. It was still way too far up and down into the seat. I had to get in and out with people watching me and it was.... bad. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I hope you had an easier time.

So... we also rented one of those dune buggies while were in Cozumel the last time. We had that green one in the background of your picture. OMG! I had to fall in it to get in, and then it must have looked equally hilarious watching me trying to get out.

I wasn't really able to step on those side panels. I'm just over 5 feet tall. It was still way too far up and down into the seat. I had to get in and out with people watching me and it was.... bad. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I hope you had an easier time.

Oh no! I hadn't considered that! I'm 5'10", but I do remember it being awkward - especially when we returned to the dune buggy after our second beach stop and the seats were crazy hot. I was happy to have that white Disney beach towel at that point, to spread on the hot seat! Anyway, the hot seat, combined with that step up and in, did make for a less than graceful entry.

JG

Truffle Pursettes and Tuna - my go to at Animators :thumbsup2

Fabulous haul of goodies in Cozumel, good to know it's right at the terminal before you board (or get off); one stop shopping :cheer2:

Day 3, Tuesday April 25, Cozumel Day, Part II
Music Recommendation: “Mr. Blue Sky” ELO

Busy night! Consider this schedule:

6:15 Hector the Magician
8:15 Dinner, Animators Pallet
9:45 Edge Effect
10:30 Beauty and the Beast

Wrapping up my comments about dinner, this was our first exposure to the new Animator's Pallet show on the Wonder, and I have to say that we both liked it a lot. I hadn’t read much about it, so I didn’t know where it was going. I think the best way to describe the finale is by comparing it to the compilation of movie clips that you see right at the end of the Great American Movie Ride at Disney Studios. It’s a lot like that, but this one is obviously comprised of Disney animated movies, and I gotta tell ya, it really tugs at the heart strings. It’s amazing what an emotional connection we have with all those characters, and the highlights of so many great Disney classic movies with a crowd rousing Disney music score was something to behold! We both liked it better than Turtle - Vision.

So after a dinner that included a double shot of cappuccino each, I whisked DW off to Azure, for a performance of Edge Effect, the a cappella quintet we had seen in the teaser show on the first night. We managed to make it there just as the show started. These guys are really good! Their harmonies are tight, and they are super entertaining. They closed their show with a tribute to 2 performers that passed in 2016; Leonard Cohen, and Prince. The Prince song was good, but I found their rendition of “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen to be especially moving. And it's all done without any musical instruments! Impressive.

IMG_0232.JPG

After their performance, we had about 5 minutes to get to the Buena Vista Theatre for the new "Beauty and the Beast", with Emma Watson. We made it with time to spare and took our seats. Although "Beauty and the Beast" had been out for a while before the cruise, DW and I had purposely not been to see it because we thought it would be fun to see it for the first time on the cruise. And we were correct. It's a great theater, awesome sound, and seriously, we were watching a Disney movie on a Disney ship, in 3D! How cool is that? We loved the movie, perhaps not as much as the original animated version, but let's be honest. The animated classic has been etched into the fabric of our lives; it’s somehow caught up in all the memories of our daughters frolicking in the living room while that movie played incessantly in the background on the VCR. I don't think anything can compete with that. But again, we thought the movie was great; no complaints.

IMG_0230.JPG

Ok, here’s another one of DW’s favorite parts of our cruise story; invariably they are the parts that involve me making some kind of embarrassing mistake. Now please, understand that it is now about 12:30 am, and it has been a long, fun filled, but exhausting day. I’m sure mental fatigue played a role in what I am about to describe. So 12:30 am, we’re headed up the stairs to exit the theater, and we come to those big trash bin looking repositories, where folks are supposed to deposit their 3D glasses. I threw my 3D glasses in the bin, and walked out into the hall. I then took my prescription glasses off the top of my head, and put them on my face……wait, why does everything look so funky? DOH!!

Yep, I had thrown my prescription glasses in the receptacle bin used for 3D glasses. Perfect. Just perfect. Well, I slowly made my way back to the foyer of the theater, which as one might expect, was difficult because it was against all the exiting traffic. I finally got to the receptacle bin. It was dark in the foyer, and all that I could see through the opening of the bin was a nondescript pile of intertwined 3D glasses. I reached down deep, and started blindly digging around with the tips of my fingers. People were looking at me like I was nuts! All I could feel were cheap, plastic frames with flimsy film-like lenses. It must have been a pitiful sight; me, my face flush up against the opening of the receptacle bin, the entire length of my arm extended down into the depths of the bin, fishing for who knows what. A nice man saw me and took pity. He pulled out his phone and turned on his flashlight app. Why didn’t I think of that? I removed my arm and he shined the light down into the bin. I spotted my glasses, and this time, I extended my arm with purpose and precision. Boom, target acquired. I thanked the nice man and got out of there quickly, hoping my fellow passengers would not forever identify me as the clown who threw his prescription glasses into the receptacle bin….a characterization that would be completely accurate. I think DW laughed the whole way back to our room. As long as she’s entertained, I guess it’s all good.

We got back to our room and found this waiting for us:

IMG_0166.JPG

Cappuccino’s notwithstanding, DW once again proved that she can be deep into REM sleep, before I even finish brushing my teeth. I tried not to disturb her as I climbed into bed. Heh, no chance of that. She was out like a light. I reviewed the day. Although we had initially been disappointed that we couldn’t do the same excursion that we had so enjoyed with the girls on our previous visit to Cozumel, it turned out fine. In fact, it was really fun, filled with adventure and lots of Mr. Blue Sky (you guys didn’t think I would get it in, did you). I wouldn’t have wanted to miss it. The only thing that would have made it better is if the girls could have been there with us, but hey, I’m over that. I’ve “Let it go”. Goodnight everyone.

IMG_0562.JPG

Last edited:

Truffle Pursettes and Tuna - my go to at Animators :thumbsup2

Fabulous haul of goodies in Cozumel, good to know it's right at the terminal before you board (or get off); one stop shopping :cheer2:

Oh ya! I don't know how much longer those chocolate bars are going to last. I needed them to last for the picture, but now that I've got that.........

Our daughter has traveled all over the world with us (and we have more adventures ahead..she is 12). But I find myself nodding and empathizing with your memories of Beauty and the Beast and adventures with your girls. It passes much too quickly, doesn't it?

Very much enjoying your report!

Our daughter has traveled all over the world with us (and we have more adventures ahead..she is 12). But I find myself nodding and empathizing with your memories of Beauty and the Beast and adventures with your girls. It passes much too quickly, doesn't it?

Very much enjoying your report!

Yes it does pass too quickly! The period between teaching them to ride a bike and walking them down the aisle, where did all that time go?

Yes it does pass too quickly! The period between teaching them to ride a bike and walking them down the aisle, where did all that time go?

oh man, we're about to send my oldest to middle school. I swear she was just born yesterday and I have NO idea where the time went.

I'm also enjoying your trip report. The more of these I read the more I find new ports I want to explore.

Day 4, Wednesday April 26, Sea Day
Music Recommendation: “I’m Your Captain / Closer to Home” Grand Funk Railroad

Here's this:

IMG (Copy).jpg

IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg

We slept in a little this morning. I hadn't scheduled our room service wake up coffee until 7:30. We didn't have any plans for this beautiful sea day until 9:30, when DW's spin class was scheduled. Yep, she had successfully maneuvered the maze of bureaucracy, and her name was among 10 lucky participants in today's 9:30 am spin class. Like I wrote before, it's all about being there when they put the sign up sheet out so that you can be one of the first to get your name on the list. I will comment that as the cruise progressed, it became easier and easier to get a slot in the spin class. For those of you with gym memberships, it reminded me of the first few weeks of January at the gym. Everyone starts the year off with great intentions, but that quickly fades. Same on the cruise. On day 2, everyone was sticking to their cruise resolutions, but by day 9, most people have chosen to forgo their workouts for the rest of their vacation. Just give me another piece of cheese cake and leave me be.

As we took our coffee on the balcony, we noticed a cool thing in the seascape below us: flying fish!! The first one I saw, I didn't even bother disturbing DW, who was engrossed in her teenage vampire romance novel. But when I saw a second, and then a third, I decided it was more than an anomaly, so I figured it would be OK to interrupt her. She looked out at the surface of the ocean and not seeing anything immediately, she accused me of interrupting her classic literature for nothing. I think she might have been expecting something the size of a marlin, with a six foot wing span. However I was quickly vindicated as another fish took flight, and then another, and another. They were coming with regularity now, and it was fun to try to spot them. If you've never seen one, picture a rather large anchovy with thin translucent wings skimming the surface of the water for short distances - maybe up to 30 feet or so. From our balcony on deck 7, it had an appearance that reminded me somewhat of skipping a flat stone on a pond or a lake; but this time the lake was the ocean, and the stone was a live fish!

IMG_1176 (Copy).JPG

We made our way up to Cabana's for our typical cruise ship breakfast of oatmeal and fruit. No matter how nutritionally deficient the rest of our meals were, we continued to start each day with this healthy staple. At 9:20, we headed to the gym. As always, I assumed my position on an elliptical. DW joined the rest of the folks in her spin class. The class was held in the same little area in the center forward part of the gym as her Pilates class was. The class instructor, a young South African woman, had moved 10 stationary bikes into position for the class. As previously indicated, DW said this class was very good, and I could see that it was the kind of class she likes because she was sweating profusely! Wait, sorry. DW doesn't sweat, she perspires. (buckets full, in this instance!).

We headed straight from our workout to the Pot Sticker cooking demonstration. On the way there, we ran in to Daisy, and even though we weren't dressed for a photo shoot, Daisy insisted on a photo with DW. I think Daisy begrudgingly let me in the shot also:

IMG_0167 (Copy).JPG

The cooking class was a first for us. This is one of those cruise ship activities that we just never had time for on previous cruises. However, with a schedule that included 8 sea days, we were determined to try some things that we had never done. Today’s demonstration was how to cook Pot Sticker’s. Normally I don’t go in for this sort of thing, but it was more interesting than I had anticipated. The chef made it interesting. He is the chef for Liberty Tavern at WDW Magic Kingdom. Not only did he have lots of great cooking tips that DW eagerly soaked up, but I was very interested in everything he had to say about being a chef at WDW. Evidently, it is very structured, and very competitive. One doesn’t just show up one day and start flipping burgers at Liberty Tavern; it has taken him something like 20 years to work into that plum position, and his progress through the hierarchy has included stretches at a number of WDW restaurants. It was quite fascinating to hear about his career path, and what it’s like to be a chef for Disney.

IMG_1173 (Copy).JPG

The next event we wanted to attend was a lecture by Captain Ken Puckett on the construction of the Panama Canal. The lecture was in the Walt Disney Theatre and it started immediately after the Anyone Can Cook class ended. Captain Puckett was a pilot for the Panama Canal Commission for 16 years, and piloted over 1440 vessels through the Panama canal. Besides being an obvious subject matter expert, Captain Puckett is funny, engaging, and a genuine pleasure to listen to. After today's presentation, I was hooked. For the remainder of the cruise, if at all possible, we tried to attend all of his lectures, and gauging by the attendance, so did everyone else! Here is Captain Puckett's website, if you want more info:

http://panamacanalpilot.com/index.html

Captain Puckett's presentation was over at noon, and we thought about heading up to Cabana's for a big salad, but we were still in our workout clothes. We decided instead to head back to our room and clean up before lunch and afternoon activities. Somehow, once again, the path from the Walt Disney Theatre on deck 4, to our stateroom on deck 7, brought us by the coffee and soft serve ice cream on deck 9. Go figure. So yes, DW procured a coffee float, her previously described drug of choice. DW kept insisting that her coffee float usage is strictly recreational, but isn’t that what they always say? I considered an intervention, but I’m just not strong enough. For now, I will be an enabler, and just bury my head in the sand. Well, until we passed the pizza counter, and then it was time to take my head out of the sand and get some pepperoni pizza!

IMG_0171 (Copy).JPG

We went back to our room to enjoy our snacks on the balcony. As I bit into the comfort of melted cheese and gooey goodness, I reflected that, although this is pizza, and it’s actually pretty good pizza, it isn’t as good as the pizza we get from the local Italian eatery back home. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? WHEN DID I BECOME A PIZZA SNOB?? In college, anything with bread, mozzarella, and a little bit of tomato sauce was voraciously consumed with high praise and thanksgiving.

Hmmm. I don’t like this about myself. But I have to begrudgingly acknowledge that now, my discriminating pallet demands more. What have I become? Will I soon be drinking Earl Gray with my pinky daintily pointed away from my cup?

I spent a considerable amount time wrestling with my conscience over this. I don’t want to be “THAT” guy. To assuage my conscience, I came up with a great explanation (read RATIONALIZATION): As I have progressed through the various stages of life from 18 to 54, my ability to (alliteration alert!) pay for the premium piece of pepperoni pizza pie has gone steadily up. See the top graph below:

IMG (Copy).jpg

However, consider the second graph above. This graph shows my ability to tolerate and process calories, and as you might expect, this one has taken a nosedive during the last 36 years.

Combining the 2 graphs demonstrates a significant gap at age 54 between my ability to pay for the premium slice, and my ability to tolerate and process the associated calories. See the gap labeled “B” below. I call gap “B” my Index of Pizza Snobbery.

IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg

Conversely, notice gap “A” that existed when I was 18. I refer to this gap as my Index of Unrequited Pizza Craving (aka my IUPC). What’s all this prove? It doesn’t prove anything, but I think it does say something about pizza snobbery being a natural function of age, and the ability to afford premium products as one gets older.

So enough with the graphs. I know that’s not what you signed on for dear reader, but I had to work through this pizza consumption crisis of conscience conundrum (heh, more shameless alliteration). I suppose the only question you really want answered is, did I finish my slice? Come on, really? IT’S PIZZA!!!

IMG_0214 (Copy).JPG

OK, so there may have been 2 slices involved. DON'T JUDGE ME!

Last edited:
oh man, we're about to send my oldest to middle school. I swear she was just born yesterday and I have NO idea where the time went.

I'm also enjoying your trip report. The more of these I read the more I find new ports I want to explore.

Thanks for following! Cozumel has always been one of our favorites. It's safe, and lots to do!

JG

Continuing to enjoy your report. I completely understand your pizza snobbery. Having moved from the Northeast to South Carolina, what they call pizza here is unrecognizable.

Continuing to enjoy your report. I completely understand your pizza snobbery. Having moved from the Northeast to South Carolina, what they call pizza here is unrecognizable.

LOL! If you were in the Northeast, you were enjoying some of the best pizza in the country! Chicago might be the only place that could compare.

Thanks! Put on your Nike's and "JUST DO IT!" We need to check Alaska off our bucket list next, but after that, I could see us doing another PC. It was that good.

JG

You would love the Alaska cruise-- we did the one in May of this year. TR is on here. And we would do Alaska 1 or 2 more times, if time and $ allowed. We just couldn't do it all!

I love your trip report to bits! It is laugh out loud hilarious and so entertaining! From the bottled water to the 3 D glasses incident and everything else, I love it!

Hmmmm... we used to make our own Coke floats on the Magic... your wife's Coffee Floats sound even better! :sunny:

I also look forward your goodnight family photos ..... they're right up there with chocolates on the pillow.
Don't worry though. One day you'll get to relive it all with your future grandkids. I can tell you. It is incredibly amazing! :)
Thanks for sharing your story, your wonderful photos, and the helpful tips!

Day 2, Monday April 24, Sea Day
Music Recommendation: “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is” - Chicago

Our coffee was delivered promptly at the appointed time, 7:00 am. I was already up and stirring about the stateroom when the Room Service Attendant arrived. So here's a tip that I only learned halfway through the cruise. I've always been super concerned, to the point of obsession, that I have plenty of one dollar bills handy so that I can tip Room Service. Of course, if we order several items, a fiver will take care of it as well. Around day nine, I figured out an important "life hack" for ordering Room Service on Disney Ships: The Room Service Attendant always has a charge slip with him that, if you want, you can use to write in a tip amount and it will be added to your shipboard account. They make it so simple to tip! Who knew? (probably everyone but me)

We took our coffee on the balcony. This was the view from the balcony that morning:

View attachment 252249

Somehow, that’s just a little more awe inspiring than having our morning coffee on the living room couch watching the TODAY show.

We threw on our gym cloths and headed off for our first official workout of this cruise. The Navigator indicated that there was going to be a Spin class at 9:30, and DW wanted to participate in that class. Sadly, by the time we got to the gym at 8:30, all slots for the Spin class had been filled. DW asked the gym attendants about it, and they said that it fills up really fast, so you almost need to be present right when they put the sign up list out. Although she was bummed that she missed the Spin class, DW noticed that there was a Pilates class at 4:00, and there were still some slots open for that. She signed up for Pilates and we did our morning workout routines. After our workout, we still had time to clean up and get to Cabana’s for our morning oatmeal. We tried to take it easy on the breakfast foods, since we had Palo Brunch scheduled at noon.

My notes are pretty much silent regarding the period of time between breakfast, and our Brunch at Palo, and I’m pleased about that! Here’s the thing - It’s only the second day of the cruise, and I’ve already started to experience that familiar conflict always bedevils me when I'm vacationing. I abhor being tied to a schedule when I'm on vacation; I get enough of that at work. And yet, I am loath to miss anything; I want to do it all! The obvious problem is that these two vacation philosophies are mutually exclusive. One can't have it both ways. Time management experts, like Stephen Covey (author of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People") recommend that people diligently schedule “down time”; but I see a certain ambiguity in that recommendation. I mean, "diligently scheduled down time?" That's an oxymoron, right? Isn't that a little like vegetarians for beef? I thought the whole point of down time is that it’s not supposed to be scheduled!

“Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?” - Chicago

I’ve always thought it would be nice to live without any kind of schedule, and be like the singer in the song by Chicago. Certainly THEN we’d be fulfilled and enlightened, and humanity would live in peace and harmony. I don’t believe it for a second, but isn’t it pretty to think so?

Unfortunately, one of the hard realities of 21st century life is that we are pretty much tethered to our schedules. We carry around a personal device that reminds us of the meeting we need to attend in 15 minutes. If we don’t show up, someone calls us on the same device and asks us why we are not where we said we were going to be. There were definitely times on this cruise when DW and I shuffled ourselves from activity to activity with a steady eye on the clock to make sure we made it to the next event. But there were also times, thankfully, when we tried not to schedule anything. I guess everyone struggles with striking the right balance.

Rant over. Off to Palo. Now, you have to understand context; I’m a CPA. And yes, all the stereotypes apply. So by definition, it’s hard for me to justify a $30 up-charge for Palo Brunch, when there is so much good food available that I don’t have to pony-up more money for. But I tried to go with an open mind. And somewhere between the crab legs, scallops, chicken parmesan, strawberry soup and cannoli, I had a culinary epiphany. Palo Brunch is worth every penny!

View attachment 252250
View attachment 252251

View attachment 252254

View attachment 252255
View attachment 252256

So there's a couple of empty desert cups over there on the left, and clearly we haven't eaten our main courses yet. Don't judge me!
View attachment 252257
View attachment 252258

View attachment 252259

How does one begin to describe Palo brunch? It was such a visceral, carnal experience. It made me wax poetic:

Ode to Palo By JohnGalt

Palo, you are my hunger,
Your rich bounty, my thirst.
A table is spread before me,
An oasis in the desert of the ocean.

Seventeen virgins could not serve
With the skill and subtlety of Sasha.
Each napkin thoughtfully arranged,
Every fork delicately placed.

I partake of my desire’s ambrosia.
Nectar is poured into my cup.
I eat a crab leg
And I am refreshed.

I find refuge in your parmesan chicken,
Solace in your eggs benedict.
I taste your margarita pizza,
And my heart rejoices.

Dessert. How can one aspire
To choose between the moon and the stars.
I know that I’ll miss you my sweet tiramisu,
But with regrets for poor Paulie, I’ll take the cannoli.

When will I be weaned
From the want of my obsession
That gave me the will to cross continents
And the strength to divide oceans.

Ok, so I had the tiramisu too. I’m so ashamed. Not.
Are you sure you're an accountant?:magnify::P

I could have spent some of that vacation money on driving a more prestigious car, but instead, I settled for a Pontiac Vibe. I put 260,000 miles on that car. But you know what? Long after that Vibe has been reduced to a rusty carcass in a graveyard of automobiles, I'll still have the memories of cantering on the beach in Mazatlan with my girls.
Totally agree. The memories I've made on these trips with my daughter will last a lifetime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter