2017 WBPC: Zen, Self-Deprecation, and Reflections of a Life Well Cruised

The tour portion of our excursion continued through some of the narrow streets of the old city. This was perfect, because it gave us the opportunity to get our bearings before striking out on our own.

IMG_0279 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0281 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0282 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0287 (Copy).JPG

The guy creating these paintings on glass was amazing. He painted one from scratch for the group, and demonstrated that he can produce one of these in about 5 minutes!

IMG_0288 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0289 (Copy).JPG

After showing us several significant land marks, Carlos left us to ourselves for 2 hours. DW and I wandered the old city streets enjoying the beauty of the architecture, and friendliness of the people. And I decided I want a balcony like this!

IMG_0292 (Copy).JPG

And of course, if you are in Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela, or Colombia, there WILL be statues of Simon Bolivar, considered the great emancipator of these countries from the tyranny of European rule. Sounds familiar.

IMG_0294 (Copy).JPG

Pedro de Heredia, founder of Cartagena in 1533:

IMG_0296 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0299 (Copy).JPG

Last edited:
The ubiquitous clock tower (Torre del Reloj). Wanna meet someone to peruse the old city shops with, and later stop for an espresso on the plaza? Meet 'em here, under one of the most recognizable Cartagena landmarks:

IMG_0297 (Copy).JPG

And from the clock tower, it's less than a 5 minute walk over to the Hard Rock, to add to your collection of t-shirts that you never wear:

IMG_0298 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0300 (Copy).JPG

Above is the Iglesia de San Pedro Claver, Church of St. Peter Claver. His bones are interred there. We saw all these people exiting that open door, so we thought we would go in and check it out. No sooner had I crossed the threshold than a sprightly nun lunged at me and shooed me off with a broom! Wow! I guess I didn't look penitent enough. Later we realized that if one desires to tour this historic religious site, one must go through the yellow building on the left and make the proper donation. I don't think it was very much - something de minimis like 5 dollars. We would have gladly paid to go in and look around, but we were running out of time and besides, that nun was no joke! She knew what I looked like and she was not messin' around with that broom!

IMG_0302 (Copy).JPG

We strolled around the old city at our leisure, and really enjoyed our free time in Cartagena. But the noon day sun was starting to take it's toll. Enter Gelateria Paradiso, an air conditioned oasis! And, the gelato there seriously rocks! I can personally vouch for both the coffee, and the coconut flavors.

IMG_0305 (Copy).JPG
IMG_0307 (Copy).JPG

Last edited:
LOL. DW proofs these for me and she just pointed out that the water bottle featured prominently in that last picture above, is one of the Sam's Club water bottles that I so stubbornly hauled around in my backpack on embarkation day! Evidently, we still had some left on Cartagena day!

Cartagena looks beautiful! I know I'm not going to like the heat, but what can you do? What money do they use there? Or did you buy gelato with credit card?

Cartagena looks beautiful! I know I'm not going to like the heat, but what can you do? What money do they use there? Or did you buy gelato with credit card?

I had some Colombian pesos left over from business trips to Bogota, so I just used those. I think they would have taken dollars also, but the exchange rate they give you on the street is never favorable. If you want Colombian pesos, an ATM is your best bet. And yes, Gelateria Paridiso takes credit cards too.

As for the heat - hydrate hydrate hydrate. People from the US tend to underestimate how much water they should drink in tropical heat like that. Yes, it's a little uncomfortable when the sun is at it's zenith and there's not much shade to be found, but it can go from uncomfortable to dangerous if you are not drinking enough water.

Thanks for the note!

JG

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: She for sure is the nun with the ruler in the olden days in Catholic School.

I never thought I would want to see Cartagena, but it sure does look beautiful......added to bucket list.

Thanks for a great report enjoying it so much!!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: She for sure is the nun with the ruler in the olden days in Catholic School.

Right? The Blues Brothers movie came to mind. It would appear that parochial education is alive and well in Cartagena! She sure educated me!

I never thought I would want to see Cartagena, but it sure does look beautiful......added to bucket list.

Thanks for a great report enjoying it so much!!!

Cartagena is beautiful. DW and I would like to spend several days there sometime. A little research indicates that late January through February might be the ideal time to go there. That's when they have some gentle trade winds that help with the humidity a little bit.

Wow! What a nice surprise to find a bunch of updates. Cartagena looked like a lovely place to walk around, it reminded me of old San Juan. We ended up with a pina colada as our frozen treat after all our walking, sounds like the gelato hit the spot nicely though.

Wow! What a nice surprise to find a bunch of updates. Cartagena looked like a lovely place to walk around, it reminded me of old San Juan. We ended up with a pina colada as our frozen treat after all our walking, sounds like the gelato hit the spot nicely though.

Agree - the narrow, picturesque streets of Cartagena reminded me of Old San Juan quite a bit. I'd like to go back there too!

Enjoying your TR! And seeing all the awesome places you've been....WBPC and EBPC are both bucket lists for me....oh man, I need to win the lotto!

Enjoying your TR! And seeing all the awesome places you've been....WBPC and EBPC are both bucket lists for me....oh man, I need to win the lotto!

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. Cruising / traveling would be high on my list of things to do after winning the lottery.

Thanks for following!

JG

Day 6, Friday April 28, Cartagena Day, Part II
Music Recommendation: “Wipeout” The Surfaris
Feeling like we had truly experienced as much as one could process in a single day of exploring a new city, we met our group in the Plaza de San Pedro Claver and returned to the ship. We liked Cartagena a lot, and we may return here someday and stay for a few days. Another thing I liked about our excursion: at 5 hours long, we were left with some extra time to enjoy the ship’s amenities while in port. In fact, when we returned to the ship, we managed to check another must-do item off our list - The water slide!

IMG_1356.JPG

The air conditioning on the bus back to the ship was struggling to keep up. With the heat and humidity of Cartagena bearing down on us, we hurried back on board and quickly changed into our swimsuits. it seemed a perfect time to take advantage of this refreshing activity. As hot as it was, there was no line for the Twist & Spout water slide. You gotta love port days. We walked uninterrupted up the stairs, all the way to the top. When we reached the summit, we saw that there were 2 children, a girl and a boy, waiting for their turn near the entrance of the slide. There's no lifeguard attendant at the top. Instead, there is a red light / green light system indicating when it is ok for the next person to proceed down the slide. The light turned green and the little boy, probably about 8, climbed in the mouth of the yellow chute and sped down slide. The little girl, probably about 7, looked up at DW and me and asked us if this was our first time. DW told her, "Yes, and I'm a little scared!" The little girl sweetly responded, "Don't be scared. It'll be alright. It's fun! Just don't step over that yellow line until the light turns green." As the little girl had indicated, about 3 feet back from the mouth of slide there was a bright yellow line on the non-slip surface leading up to the chute entrance. This sweet little girl had given us this caution with such sincerity and conviction, I had to ask, "Why should we not step over that line until the light turns green?" And with a very serious but quiet whisper she told us, "Because if you do, that man will yell at you," and she pointed to a speaker above the red light / green light assembly. That's awesome! This sweet little girl was telling us the rules, and trying to save us from a humiliation that she had evidently already suffered. There was obviously a closed circuit video monitoring system so that the lifeguard at the end of the slide could keep tabs on what is going on at the top, and he would give the green light when he was ready for the next person to proceed down the slide. We thanked the girl for her help, the light turned green, and off she went into gravity powered liquid enhanced plastic fabricated fun.

IMG_0846 (Copy).JPG

DW was on deck now. "Don't step over the yellow line," I chided her. We looked at each other and laughed. But you know what? The temptation to put a few toes over the line was palpable. How far could one push the yellow line limits, before an electronically amplified, disembodied voice would scold you? The temptation was so great that even DW pretended that she was going to put a toe over, but at the last second, she diverted her toe a different direction. DW was just about to stray down the wayward path of a hardened water slide criminal, when the light turned green and saved her from her reckless self. She disappeared into the maw.

IMG_0322 (Copy).JPG

Of course, that left me up there alone. All alone. Nobody but me, the closed circuit video camera, and that bright beautiful yellow line that I was feverishly trying to ignore. Oh, the temptation was excruciating! I like to think I'm the kind of guy who pushes the boundaries, rebels against the bureaucracy, sticks my thumb in the eye of "the man." But on this day, on this insignificant water slide, I gave myself over to the apathetic embrace of discretion, and I shrunk back from the yellow line; my life story in one sentence. Maybe I was still smarting from the verbal lashing the nun had given me. Or, maybe I'm not the rebel I like to think I am; I dunno, I can't quite work it out. My silent introspection was jarringly interrupted by the red light switching to green. I assumed the corpse pose and took off.

IMG_0806 (Copy).JPG

Wow, I wasn’t expecting it to be so fast! It was terrific! They key to water slide speed is distributing your weight with more skin, less fabric touching the slide. Fabric surfaces such as my swim trunks, only add friction and slow you down. Knowing this, I had taken my shirt off. That's why you're not getting any pictures; NO ONE wants to see that! I arched my back slightly, lifting my swim trunks a few centimeters off the surface of the slide. Freed from the fabric friction, I accelerated into the winding turns, and I could feel the centrifugal force pushing me partially up the side of the slide. I had a serious head of steam as I sped toward the splash down area where the water slide ends. This splash down area consists of a straight "runway" about 15 -20 feet long, that is filled with about 12 to 14 inches of water. It is designed to quickly and safely slow people down to a stop, through the natural friction of standing water.

Momentum is calculated as mass times speed; and I pretty much rocked both sides of that equation by the time I hit the splash down runway. And when an unstoppable force (me) hits an immovable object (the water), something has to give; in this instance, a giant wave of water. Have you ever been to Sea World and seen the wave that Shamu generates when she breeches and then splashes back down? It was like that.

The lifeguard even gave it a "Woah!" as he skipped out of the tsunami's destructive path. Dude! You don't have to make it seem like it's the biggest splash down ever! And yet, I extracted a certain amount of satisfaction from the lifeguard's explicative "Woah," and his Dorothy-like skip to avoid my wake. Take that, Bureaucracy, here's a thumb in your eye! Heh, maybe I am just a little bit of a rebel; I'm a Shamu splashing tsunami generating rebel! I saw DW waiting for me. "Can we have nap time now?" I asked. She smiled and nodded affirmatively, and these two rebels retreated to our anti-establishment hideout in stateroom 7530, for our rebellious afternoon nap.

IMG_1650 (Copy).JPG

Last edited:
Oh boy, loving all the updates and beautiful pics! Having gone through Catholic grade school I cracked up at your 'nun with a broom' encounter. When I was in school, it seemed, according to the nuns, that the boys could do no right, so in all likelihood, for you, that is, just existing by the exit door would have been enough to get you broom swatted, even if you weren't trying to dodge the donation by sneaking in the out-door. (just kidding)

Thanks for the highly entertaining updates! Your water slide experience was too funny!!!

I can't even tell you how much I'm enjoying your posts! Your writing style is wonderful - makes me smile and creates vivid pictures that make me feel like I'm right there with you. DH and I will be on the 2018 WBPC cruise next April. It will be our first cruise without our daughter, who will be finishing up her Junior year at college. I felt your melancholy when you spoke of traveling without your daughter, but I am looking forward to getting to know my husband again! :-)

Last edited:
Haha! That was the most fun I've had on a water slide without actually being on the water slide!

Thanks! The water slide really was faster than I had anticipated it being. We loved it. It's one of those quintessential things that you have to do on a Disney Cruise. It's there, so it needs to be conquered!

Oh boy, loving all the updates and beautiful pics! Having gone through Catholic grade school I cracked up at your 'nun with a broom' encounter. When I was in school, it seemed, according to the nuns, that the boys could do no right, so in all likelihood, for you, that is, just existing by the exit door would have been enough to get you broom swatted, even if you weren't trying to dodge the donation by sneaking in the out-door. (just kidding)

I think you're totally right! I think she looked at me and figured I just have the look of a heretic! No question! I was gettin' the broom!

Thanks for the highly entertaining updates! Your water slide experience was too funny!!!

Thank you for following!

JG

I can't even tell you how much I'm enjoying your posts! You're writing style is wonderful - makes me smile and creates vivid pictures that make me feel like I'm right there with you. DH and I will be on the 2018 WBPC cruise next April. It will be our first cruise without our daughter, who will be finishing up her Junior year at college. I felt your melancholy when you spoke of traveling without your daughter, but I am looking forward to getting to know my husband again! :-)

Why thank you, that is so kind! Getting to know your husband again - That is sooo the right attitude to go with! Good for you guys, and I really wish I could join you and take this cruise again, but I don't think its in the cards for us in 2018. We'll see.

I am just dying over here with your entire description of the waterslide! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Classic!

I had things to say about your day in Colombia but now all I can think about is how much I want to put a toe over the yellow line later this month on the Wonder......:laughing:

I am just dying over here with your entire description of the waterslide! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Classic!

I had things to say about your day in Colombia but now all I can think about is how much I want to put a toe over the yellow line later this month on the Wonder......:laughing:

Oh no! I'll feel just horrible if my narrative leads you to the water slide dark side! ........But if you do end up there, be sure and tell us about it! LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter