2008 DDP choice for DVC members

What will the majority of DVC members do in 2008

• Continue using the Disney Dining Plan (either version)

• Will no longer use the DDP but switch to the DDE

• Will no longer use the DDP and begin paying out of pocket

• Never used the DDP and never will

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted continue using the DDP given that tax will still be included. In that case, I think that I will still come out ahead.

I've done the math for our family (everybody's math will be different) and neither the new DDP nor DDE make sense for us.

We will no longer use DDP and will eat virtually all of our meals offsite, except for an occasional character meal.

The math barely worked for the other DDP for us!:rotfl2:

Nooooo, no DDP for us for sure. We will also probably do a some eating off-site and some in-room cooking (which I enjoy).

Amazing how these rumors turn out to be so accurate.:thumbsup2

I'm very disappointed in what appears to be a drastic change to the dining plan. I personally don't like for benefits to be taken away and I believe that this change is a reduction of benefits (for all users not just DVC). Since we are DVC we have the option of eating in our villa and not patronizing the Disney restaurants. Our option will be to reduce our spending at Disney restaurants as a way of protesting this reduction in benefits -- at least during the first year. We'll still do a few "must do" restaurants, but will spend significantly less money as a result of eating in. So, I guess if Disney goes through with this it is really to my benefit LOL.

well, since I'm buying into the DVC at AKL, I plan on staying concierge whenever we can so there is half my food right here and then we can just do some have-to meals with cash. I wish it wouldn't hnage but i don't like the new specualtions about it. I'm fine with them adding the deluxe option but why take away from the one they have now. I'll pay the extra dollar to keep it the same! If they keep the one they ahve now, I'll continue to purchase it wiht evry vacation we do.

Voted to keep using the DDP but.....we will try the Deluxe for our jan. trip and try no DDP for our february trip. That will give us a pretty good comparison. Deluxe should be a good option for us but the proof will be in the dining receipts that I obsessively keep up with on the trip!

We may do the DDP deluxe for 1 night in December. That would actually be a bargain. Spread 3 TS and 2 snacks over 2 days. And get the free mug to boot. It would work well with the CP in Dec. We would just split our stay between a couple of resorts, which is no big deal to us.

Amazing how these rumors turn out to be so accurate.:thumbsup2

I don't think you would be able to spread it out over 2 days because the dining plan is per day/reservation only. i think it would have to be used within 1 day or it is lost... what does everyone else think? If I'm wrong let me know.. I may have to consider this as well :)

I'm not sure it would be worth all the effort of switching rooms, even if you could do it.

hmmm... now this option is VERY interesting :)

my wife and I always get a mug... so if we could do 2 to 3 table service meals during the 2 days...hmmm interesting

time to do some more math!

The DDP worked great for us, but if they stop including the tip we probably won't use it again. I do think they'll see a big drop in DDP usage if this happens.

Prior to the dining plan we did a couple of sit down character meals. Otherwise, we did a lot of counter services. We also always ate at RFC. If they increase the price, we'll probably opt for the old way of doing things. Unforunate. I think the plan allowed people to stay onsite and eat. Now there will be incentive to leave. Honestly, I would pay the same price as now and have them eliminate dessert or the appetizer. I wish there was an option of one or the other with the plan. We would much rather have an appetizer then we would dessert. And, I don't like that the tip won't be included. A tip is not REQUIRED, and if they make that change I see a lot of waters just not getting very good tips.

I will definitely stop using it. I would have been ok with making it a choice better app or dessert. When we used the plan in March it was often $100 (total) for 2 adults and 1 child. So bacially every TS meal would cost me about $15 more for 18% tip. That definitely makes it not a good deal.

I voted to switch to DDE.

We have used both, and calculated out for us that the current DDP was a better value than DDE, but only if you would have eaten the same food.

We would not normally have desert with lunch and sometimes not with dinner - and would not have a snack every day either. But on the DDP you feel you HAVE to eat everything you pay for.

If they remove appetizers and tips from DDP, even with the minor price reduction, I don't see it making financial sense.

For my family I never really saw that the DDP was worth it. However, now that the kids are old enough to actually eat an adult portion I am looking forward to trying it for free in 27 days. But, with the changes it again does not look like much of a deal to me.
We used the DDE once in 2002 when we bought AP and made 3 trips in the year but since then that has not really been an option.
In the future if things stay fairly consistant and DH and I are able to take extended or more than one a year vacations we will reevaluate it then.

I used the dining plan on my last vacation for the first time. It was a lot of food, more than we would normally eat. I won't use it again under these circumstances, taking away the appetizer doesn't bother me. Excluding the tip, given the prices at disney table service restaurants, now that hurts. I think it will hurt their servers a lot more than it hurts the diners though.

So they took $1 off the price, woo hoo!

Anyway, we had to know this wasn't going to last. They couldn't possibly be making a profit with all of what was included for the price. I wonder if they'll still do their "free dining" package promotions in future?

I am glad I tried it, now I can choose my table service meals more wisely since I've had the chance to try the restaurants out without risk. Some of them are worth paying the price, some just aren't.

... on the other hand, it will probably make it easier to get reservations on short notice, planning my daily meals 6 months in advance was really stressful for me.

I think they were making a profit. Food is a little overpriced in WDW anyway, so even with the personal saving of the DDP they were still making money. And they were keeping us from going outside of WDW to eat. Why go elsewhere when you already paid for your meals onsight

Its a tough call. My initial reaction and vote is to begin using DDE. The dining plan is pretty nice if its just my DW and myself and we are in a studio. I might try DDP for studio stays and DDE/kitchen for larger unit stays.

I will also not be buying the DDP if the changes go through. I agree eliminate the appetizer or dessert but include the tip.

Where can we see the changes to the DDP? I am so sad:sad1: We love the DDP and dont want it to change one bit!!:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter