2008 BAN Wagon Support Group

TPCShauna

<font color=green> Most Cheerful Creativear<br><fo
DH and I have been working on getting our year files in order as the year ends and I've noticed a rather alarming trend. Like a goof, I keep all of my scrap related receipts including postage receipts. I did an informal tally and stopped around $2,500 for the year with a rather significant pile still left. For all that money spent, I only have about 50 pages done for the whole year even though I've made and received some gorgeous swap items. :teeth: This brought home a rather alarming thought.

I need to stop buying scrap stuff, cut back on my swapping and start getting some pages done! This is more than just a page productivity thing for me as DH and I are planning to buy into DVC this year and a decrease in my scrappy spending will be helpful for that.

Honestly, I don't know if any of y'all are looking to save, reduce, be more productive or whatever but I would really, really love to have a support group with others who have the bug and are trying to reduce their spending/swapping. As such, I'm proposing a 2008 BAN Wagon.

Here's how it works: Make a list of items/days that you are planning to buy this year. Items could be regular needs like adhesive, specific Cricut carts, a new trimmer, etc. Days could be your birthday, anniversary, Valentine's, Christmas. These are the days you are "budgeting" for. Any spending outside of that is off limits.

This will be a support thread for all those that are trying not to buy/swap. As such, no enablers for sales or pics of adorable swap items are allowed. You can share your success stories of how you withstood the temptation of a great deal as long as you don't provide specifics that might tempt others.

Post your list of items/days to hop on the BAN Wagon and then lets support each other from there. Remember, this is a place to dream, wish and hope for those goodies so that the rest of us can try to talk you out of spending the $$$ for them. Just think! If you save up the rest of the year, you can spend even more on your special days!!! If you should happen to fall off the wagon, admit it, let us support you and then move on. Just please don't share the details of what made you cave!

I'll start with my goals for 2008.

I will participate in a maximum of 4 swaps this year (not counting Secret Sister exchanges) and I will do my best to use my stash to create my items for said swaps.

My free days are:
My Birthday (April 3)
Anniversary (Oct. 5)
Christmas
2 free days of my choosing

I will only purchase:
Adhesive including CM tape runners, glue dots of all sizes, ZIG pens and Xyron refills
A new paper cutter that won't have constant worn out blades (looking at the Making Memories or Purple Cows portable)
Cricut mats and blades as needed (no more than 2 packs of mats every 3 months and 1 pack of blades every 4 months)
4 new Cricut carts TBD at a later time - I'm thinking Opposites Attract, Doodletype, JOTS and one other
Monthly membership in my Ribbon club
Solid cardstock
Photo developing

List of BAN Wagon members
Kim1964
PrincessNancy96
AlexWyattMommy
BernardandMissBianca
aroyer
PamCo88
MazdaUK
rlovew
Lisa
StitchIsOurHero
Momof2DisneyKids
hopemax
ddavis80
graygables
Yzerbear19
happycampers
believen
party of 3
Mickster
bearbear
missesdisney
lewdyan1
SusieStone
calenniebu
scrappinmom
KerTggr
lovingthemouse
KatDisney
momx3boys
New England Eeyore
pjlla
angelmom
bigbabyblues
Tigger1221
NemoMom07
mommy2mrb
pongoperdigirl
jennyL
Mickeyteacher
plgrn
vanyel
mmkk
I hrt Stitch
Raenstoirm
wdwmickey
happypooh

Here's a clippie for our sigs if you want one.
DISBanWagon-Sm.jpg

IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z318/scrappygirl_photos/DISBanWagon-Sm.jpg[/IMG

Please join me. What are your goals for 2008?

I definitely have to cut back on spending. I just started scrapping on January 1, 2007. So, I started from zero and over the course of this ONE year I have collected:

-the Ellison Design Big Shot (though, to be fair, that was a surprise from DH, not something I purchased)
-3 Big Shot alphabets and a whole tray of shape cuts, as well as cutting pads (regular and extended)
-the Cricut
-the Cricut Expression
-17 Cricut cartridges
-Cricut tool kit
-Cricut spatula
-extra Cricut mats (all 3 sizes) and blades
-a Xyron 510
-a rolling cart for paper storage
-2 Cropper Hopper organizers
-many pounds of paper
-miscellaneous stickers, brads, ribbons, rubons, glitter, pens, adhesives

We are saving for an August trip, and I really think it's time to stop buying and use what I have. I have completed 101 pages this year, and I've never participated in a swap, so I'm not concerned with page production. I just have to reduce my spending....in my own mind, anyway. DH doesn't care what I spend:).

So, I'm hopping on the ban wagon.

My free days:

January 1 (It's already been planned to go shopping with the friend who got me into scrapping:))

May 11 (Mother's Day)
August 14 (my birthday, though the actual shopping will probably happen after since we will be at WDW for my birthday)
October 25 (wedding anniversary)
Christmas
2 free days that coincide with great cartridge deals:)

I will limit myself to 4 new cartridges over the course of the year, and try really hard to hit a great sale to get them. My BFF recently got a Cricut and hasn't ramped up her cartridge collection, so she will likely buy carts I don't have so I'll have access to new carts that I don't have to buy:).

I will limit my supplies to adhesives (Zig pens, photo mounting squares, tape runners), mats, and blades. The only patterned paper I will buy is a Christmas stack later in the year (I have a ton of patterned paper that I hardly ever touch, but I will make myself use it this year).

I may need more solid paper, but I will use what I have first, and when I go to the store to get the paper, I will bring limited cash and leave credit cards/checkbook/ATM card at home so I can't spend more than I have on me.

These are my goals for 2008.

Yay Kim! I have a BAN Wagon buddy!

I think your goals are very reasonable. I also appreciate you posting all the stuff you've bought this year because I think your list beats mine. :lmao:

Good luck and let's be accountable together!

I'm jumping on the BAN wagon...

I dropped swaps about mid-year last year and now need to utilize my stash...
My free days:
2 TBD
Apr 9
Jul 22
Christmas

I have 2 cartridges I'm after this year... well, 3.... so that will be my limit..
My supply limit will be... mats.. adhesive, solid paper...I'll get all those on sale...

I also started mid-year.. I set a certain amount when I go out and I can NOT use any more than that...and I only utilize cash... DH thinks I'm nuts but he'll see the savings in the end!

The only other must pay for item will be my photos to scrap... once a month..

My DH will thank you.
I'm in.
I am so not listing what I have purchased since I started this little hobby a year and 7 months ago. But I probably could have financed a long weekend at WDW, easily.

My weakness is paper. I hoard the stuff. Never use it, just have to have it. That said, I will only buy paper on my free days.

Valentine's Day
Mother's Day
August 28
October 18
Christmas
and 2 FD tbd

I will limit myself to said paper buying days, adhesive as needed and only on sale or with coupons, 2 cricut carts (if there is anything new in the offering, no buying older stuff), and printing photos.
I will only purchase the paper and hardware if it is on sale near or at my said days.
I will limit my swapping to only what can be sent in a priority envelope, no more boxes of swaps for me.
I will only sign up for 6, yes you read it right, only 6 swaps before the summer. I will have to shop my stash for these swaps. No buying anything new. My resources will need to re-evaluated at the summer to be sure I have enough stash to continue swapping.
PN96, will you help me keep count?

I just tallied my spending, and I'm sure I missed a few receipts along the way.
Are you ready??? $3561.72......:faint: Good lord do not let my DH see this!!!
disclaimer - that did include 2 Cricut machines.

OK so I am sooo joining the ban wagon, we need a ticker. I'll work on that later.

Shopping dates:
Mommy Day 5/11 or National Scrapbook Day 5/3
Birthday - 11/24
Christmas 12/25
2 TBD dates

Necessary Supplies:
$15/ month for Lisa's crop
adhesive - purchased at Lisa's (I usually buy 3-5 at a time)
cardstock - only on sale and if I'm in the area. All my stores are 30+ minutes away. And only for specific pages.
mats and blades
photos - no idea how much the spending limit will be on this. I am planning to scrap at least 2 WDW trips so it will be a lot. I'll let you know those costs as we go.

Bonus purchases:
4 carts - 1 will be the other princess and 1 will be Joys of the Season. I'm reserving the other 2 spots to see what else comes out later in 2008.
CKC Hartford - I promise to keep the shopping to a minimum and to join the crops so I can get some pages done.
SDV Orlando - I promise to spend more time scrapping and less time in the parks. I don't usually buy much anyway but I do take the classes.

Swaps:
I'm not sure, I really need to decide if I want to do any.

OK! (big sigh) I am in! I am a little scared of falling off the band wagon, but I think I can do it! I don't even want to add up what I have spent since I found the DIS scrapbooking boards! It's too scary! :scared1:

My free days are:
Valentines
Mothers Day
June 12 (anniversary)
August 2 (bday)
Christmas
plus 2 free days TBD (seems like a lot, but I don't trust myself :lmao: )

I will only purchase:
-solid cardstock
-any patterned paper has to be for a project that I am working on and have nothing else for it
-adhesive
-mats and blades
-photos
-as far as the cartridges go..... yikes.... I'll get back to you on that one....

Put me on the BAN wagon. I have spent $$$$ over the past few years with 2 (yes 2) pages to show for it. I don't need anything. I need to scrap, if i actually run out of something I will replace it.

My goal is not to buy anything (I will give ideas for gifts) until I have made 40 pages. With my current completion rate this will take forever, but I will think of all the $$ I will save.

Yay! We have BAN Wagon jumpers!!!!! Welcome PN96, AWM, BAMB, aroyer and PamCo88!!!

I knew I wasn't the only one but it's nice to see that others feel the same way.

Great job on putting together your lists. I totally missed the photo developing on my list so I will add that.

BAMB - Thanks for thinking of a ticker. It didn't even cross my mind.

So, while my DH is pretty happy about this whole thing, he is being a total enabler at the moment and keeps asking me if I want to take advantage of the Cricut cart sale thing before the end of the year. I am close to caving because 1) 2008 hasn't started yet and 2) he said he was still OK with me getting my 4 carts next year.

What would y'all do??

So, while my DH is pretty happy about this whole thing, he is being a total enabler at the moment and keeps asking me if I want to take advantage of the Cricut cart sale thing before the end of the year. I am close to caving because 1) 2008 hasn't started yet and 2) he said he was still OK with me getting my 4 carts next year.

What would y'all do??

My DH is usually my biggest enabler. I, for one, hadn't intended on starting until Jan 1.... so I say GO FOR IT! I would really like to take advantage of the cartridge sale too.

Put me in! I have been scrapping for 2 years now and have filled 2 CM bags (the old ones - not the trolley), the rolling Disney trolley, a small bag which is now bulging with stamps and inks, 2 other pizza boxes full of Bazzil and other bits, plus a MM trimmer secreted under the sewing box :blush: stuff piled up on the buffet next to where I scrap (including my Xyron PCS) and a big folder overflowing with swap stuff :guilty: I carefully throw away all my receipts so there's no evidence that I've spent anything :rolleyes1 My problem is I put all my energies into swap stuff, so my pages have to do with what is to hand, therefore I need more frillies for my pages! (But I do use my swap stash when I can ;) ) So my days will be:

23 February or thereabouts (spending birthday money)
1 day around April (for my DLP trip)
1 shop from each CTMH catalogue (I feel I owe it to my CTMH consultant as she has to get it all from the US then from Cambridge UK to me)
1 day at the end of summer (bargains only!)
1 Christmas shop

I also resolve to use my Xyron more (although I might have to buy another set of design books as I'm bored with the font, but I've seen one on cut@home I want) and I will only take part in swaps I know I can use:

primas
embellishment swaps
colour swaps
scavenger swaps (maybe)
seasonal swaps

I will aim to make all these swaps out of my existing stash :thumbsup2 They've changed the rules on Cm so you don't have to have a rolling total, so I'll have no excuse to buy everything new just to keep active. I will allow the following as maintenance rations:

solid cardstock
adhesives
albums, pages and protectors
mats and blades
photos

New big kit not allowed unless as a gift!

Not sure how good I'll be at sticking to it (we Pisceans are weak-willed!) but I'll give it a go.

I will jump on the ban wagon for shopping although I am not willing to give up swapping at the moment. I spent 1670.03 on scrapping supplies (yes some was for secret sisters and some was money I recieved as gifts but still that is like working for as little less than a month). I also spent $493 on going to the CKC conference just on hotel and class and registration fees. That does not include wehat I spent on postage and that had to be about 200-300 at least

My Spending Days:
Sometime in early January (to spend my GC and other Christmas money)
Valentines
July 3rd- Anniversary
Nov 22- birthday
Christmas
4 other days (1 per quater)

I will use more of what I have on hand for swaps- but I will still participate, although I will limit myself to:
3 swaps per month
No more than 4 groups in a swap (except ones I am hosting so I don't pay postage)
No swaps that I can't see an immeadiate reason for doing (if I don't have pictures or already have the event planned I can't swap for items for it)

I will purchase only:
solid cardstock (if needed for a specific project- I must use what is on hand before shopping)
adhesive
albums I have a specific purpose for (only if I don't already have an album the right size - I can alter the cover if needed)
mats and blades (no more than 1 mat per mnachine per month and no more than 1 blades for craftrobo this year and 4 blades for cricut this year)
patterned paper only for specific projects
no more than 1 cartridge per month and no cartridges that are not on sale (I have only purchased 3 carts (the Disney shapes) that did not come with the machine)

I guess the mats & blades for my cricuts will have to fall on my shopping days. Hopefully I won't need to buy many this coming year. I do have a few albums that I can alter the covers on, so I shouldn't have to get any this year, IF I scrap any of my own stuff that is. :rotfl:

:car: getting out of Dodge quickly!

I don't spend that much, at least I don't think I do.:confused3 :lmao:

Ever since this summer when we had our scrap shopping hiatus, I've been doing good. I have been using my stash and getting kind of low on paper. Hard to believe considering I LOVE paper, and I have a LOT!

I'll put in writing that I will only buy cricut mats and blades, CM adhesive, albums, and paper when needed.

The only big things I will buy will be the Becky Higgins Sketch book, theCricut Accent Expressions cart (I have a gc for that though) and a CM tote bag. (I sold mine right out from under me at a crop, LOL) Oh, and if I find any carts for under $20. I am still determine to find one, haven't given up hope.

So I wonder what I should do with someone's wish list things? :joker: :rotfl2:

All right, I think I fit in this, too! :) I don't keep receipts for scrapping stuff, but I know about what I spend each month. DH doesn't care--he has his videogame fun, and I scrap! However, I do need to be more productive this year (I make HUGE Disney albums, and then the family album falls by the wayside). Here's my plan:

What I will purchase:

paper--on sale only, and mostly only solid color, unless there is a particular Disney one I need for a particular page
adhesive--Xyron tape runner and photo splits
Cricut mats and blades, as needed
Cricut cartridges--I have all I want for right now, but I'm holding out for any new Disney ones!!
Ordering photos--one of the earlier posts said the same thing I plan to do--once a month order the photos from that month
Refill pages and albums from CM (I will only order when I'm completely out or ready to fill an album)

Swaps:
I will only participate in the 4 park swaps and maybe 1 other. We are taking a kind of special trip in March, and I have already used most of my stash. I know that from June-December, I won't be swapping, so if they happen to fall in there (any of the park swaps), I won't be in them.

Page Production:
I will get our family albums caught up! Currently, I haven't done from April 2006 until now. I'm off to get started on that this morning! Also, I have about 15 other albums (various themes) that I want to work on.

Isn't it great to have a support group?!?! :)

ok, I'm in. I have sooooooo much stuff that I haven't touched in years. Oh wait, I haven't actually scrapped in ages either! :rolleyes1
The only things I might need are cardstock, pens, and adhesive. Oh yeah, I'll order photos!!!
I might buy things for my bday or Christmas, and I'll take 3 other free days (TBD), but I don't have a cricuit or anything that takes carts, so my spending will be pretty low in cost. My downfall has been new disney things that have come out, but seeing as how all my pics from my last trip are already in a normal photo album, I don't need more stuff. I'm more likely now to make a photobook on someplace like kodakgallery.com than I am to complete an album. That's just where I'm at now.
I'm not going to participate in swaps, but I'll put down a max of 1, just in case there's something that I absolutely can't resist! I have tons of swap stuff just sitting here, looking beautiful, but not being used!

Just say no!!!!!!!!

So I wonder what I should do with someone's wish list things? :joker: :rotfl2:

LOL hold it for now, I'll use it for my 2 freebie shopping days! Besides how much could be left??? :rotfl:

Rebecca, thanks for reminding me about CKC. I need to add that into my bonus list.

The way this thread is going, there isn't going to be much swapping this year.

I need to be on a ban too. I was going to do it until we moved to Denver. But then a week before our vacation, DH's job decided to announce ANOTHER restructuring plan, only this one includes offshoring 70% of the company by 2010. Not good news. So the move is on hold until we can get an idea of how long DH will have a job (or if he can find a new job in Denver). I am also not looking at an entire year ban, but a 9 month ban.

But with the way things are working out, I'm going to start out my ban by shopping!

Recollections is going out of business by the end of Jan. I already cleared "stock up while it's cheap" shopping with DH when I heard about the closing.

I am also shopping at the LSS this week to use my birthday coupon, but that is 2007 shopping and doesn't count.

Other acceptable purchases:

*Adhesive (glue sticks, zig pens, I have several roles of ATG already, so I am hoping not to have to buy more until the second half of the year)
*Cricut mats, blades. One blade pack for Fiskars trimmer.
*photos for printing
*refills for albums
*basic colors for cardstock (white, brown, black, red)
*Cricut carts: Stretch your Imagination, Joy of the Seasons, Mickey Font and 1 more
* items needed to finish specific projects for my own albums, or items needed for any "gift" projects for friends/family.
** (see below)

Instead of listing specific days to shop, I will just say around July 4 (anniversary) and 3 other days (probably will be tied to when Js, Ms puts most of their scrapbook stuff on sale), 2 Hobby Lobby trips.

Swap participation: As long as I'm not moving, I will participate in KatDisney's swaps since I don't have to pay for postage. I might also participate in the swaps that get sent non-priority (41 cent, embellishment swaps). I am also thinking about making "extras" of things I make for my books, that I could trade (and send cheaply in non-priority packaging). I can use my stash to make what I can, and not have to buy stuff if I have enough material for 3 sets, but I need 6. So look for activity from me in the "Pass it Forward" thread.

**I think that is everything, but there might be some essential that I am forgetting right now, that I reserve the right to add later. Or if Cricut comes out with 5 new Disney carts in the first or second quarter. :rotfl2:

I have my ticker set up too if anyone wants it. It was set up from yesterday.

ETA: never mind, ya'll need to set up your own tickers since your shopping days will be different than mine.

I forgot albums and refiills. I should only need one other album which I will use a coupon on and hopefully refills will be purchased with coupons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter