2006 DVC Member Cruise - SSMC06 - October 22, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping that we can get on the 2006 member cruise since we weren't able to do the first 2 member cruises. We are currently booked on the 10/14/06 double dip Magic cruise. We plan to keep that cruise get off the Magic on 10/21, stay at PC and then get on the Wonder on 10/22. Sort of making our own 11 day cruise but on 2 different ships.

However, I saw that there was a party at PI the night before the member cruise. So may have to travel to WDW for 1 night and then back to the port.

Will be paying cash as I am already borrowing points into 2006 and plan to do a May trip to WDW in May.

Nancy

WE will be going again for sure. :flower: We will be calling on all 3 phones to try to get in again. We had the best time on the cruise. Next year we are going to bring our dd's. They can't wait. We will be bringing an extra piece of luggage next time. We had a hard time fitting everything in ours even with the new bags.

WDWLVR said:
4) The 2005 Member Cruise price included tips. Regular DCL cruises do not,

Member Cruise 2005 was our 7th DCL cruise. All of them have been great but for true entertainment and overall experience Member Cruise 2005 was by far the best! We definately have plans to try and be on the 2006 Member Cruise!

Interesting! Tips included makes a difference. Sounds like you had a GREAT time!

WDWLVR said:
1) You can use cash and points but if you choose the cash option it has to be paid at time of booking (not over time like a regular cruise).

Right. I do think though that the first cruiser always needs to be covered in full by points, then you can pay cash (if desired) for anything after the first.

WDWLVR said:
To hopefully answer a few questions for everyone (since we have been on the both the 2003 and 2005 Member Cruise).

1) You can use cash and points but if you choose the cash option it has to be paid at time of booking (not over time like a regular cruise).

2) DVC has traditionally waived the $75 exchange fee when booking the Member Cruise.

3) If you are comparing a 4 day Member Cruise vs. a regular 4 day DCL cruise at the same time of you I think you will always find the Member Cruise to be more expensive. It is a charter and there are extra costs involved.

For many of you #3 will make it not worthwhile to try and sail on the Member Cruise. However for those of us who have sailed before we know that those few extra points are well spent for an extraordinary cruise experience.

Member Cruise 2005 was our 7th DCL cruise. All of them have been great but for true entertainment and overall experience Member Cruise 2005 was by far the best! We definately have plans to try and be on the 2006 Member Cruise!

Thanks for all the great info Mary!!
I didn't realize tips were included and that makes a big difference!! I hope we can get in this time!
From the 2005 Vacation Planner.. all of October is still in Value Season... will it be different next year?? I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens.
Did they give any idea as to when details would be available??
I've already warned DD that she'll need to watch the pups:dog: :dog: ... and warned DH that he HAS to take the time off! :teeth:

Is this going to be the first cruise after dry dock? That would be nice.

Michele

Hi CGCW were are you.

Michele - Cindy is still at WDW. Talked to her earlier today. I think they fly home on Sunday. Don't think she'll have computer access until then.:)

A few question's to past DVC cruisers.

How many months before the Sept cruise was the actual booking date?

I would really like to book using some points but I do not get points again until
dec.I wonder if they will let you borrow early to book the cruise. Wishful thinking I am sure.

How long did it take for the cruise to sale out and were you on hold forever?

Also, if you have using your disney visa did you have 0% interest?

Thanks

WE were able to book for the 2005 cruise on October 23, 2004 and it sold out by 2pm.

Michele

Just had a pre-cruise meet with Cindy (CGCW) and family at Cape May Cafe. Also met up with Stacy & Jeff (Stitch#1) and her Mom and Dad (Fred aka Grumpy-1).

A great time was had by all on the 2005 cruise and everyone is looking to book 2006!

Just a small note- I will have some kind of sigline logo to use as soon as I have some real source material. The one that's currently on the website is a really lousy bit of editing by me of the 2005 one.

I have confirmed the clock on the website is correct, as of this posting it's 407 days 17 Hours. It does depend on your own computer's clock to calculate the time remaining, so if it is not right, you need to check your own pc's one.

I know I also need to do some polish on the website yet - What's up there is a bit of quick work from the 2005 one. I really am going to do more with it in the next few weeks. I have two other priorities, getting home and all that entails including catching up at work, and getting up a 'trip report' 2005 site. The latter of the two shouldn't take me all that long as I will do what I did the last time and use my 'Live from the Wonder' posts as the outline.

http://monorailgreen.info/member2006/

WDWLVR said:
3) If you are comparing a 4 day Member Cruise vs. a regular 4 day DCL cruise at the same time of you I think you will always find the Member Cruise to be more expensive. It is a charter and there are extra costs involved.

For many of you #3 will make it not worthwhile to try and sail on the Member Cruise. However for those of us who have sailed before we know that those few extra points are well spent for an extraordinary cruise experience.

For #3 What are the "extra costs" involved with it being a charter?

For #4 The total for tips for two passengers on a 4 day cruise is $87.50 Even when I add that to the total for our 4 day cruise coming up in just over a month, the cost difference (for the same Category) is still $358.00 more ($179.00 per person) for the Member Cruise.
I'm not saying it's not worth it, because I plan on being there! But to say that "having the tips included makes a big difference" just doesn't seem to wash.

I assume that the costs posted for the 2005 Member cruise included port charges, taxes, and government fees.

Todd, who is the Jerry you refer to? Jerry Garcia? Just wondering.

I'll try to answer a lot of the questions/concerns as they related to the 2005 cruise:

How to pay - all points, all cash or a combination. I paid all cash because of uncertainty of my job at the time of booking. With cash you can cancel I believe up to 6 months before with no penalty. There are some penalties as you get closer and under 60 days it gets significant (can't remember what the penalties were). With points if you cancel they go into a holding account. Also, if paying with the Disney Visa, the 0% and onboard credit did not apply because DVC charters the boat so no special offers allowed. I asked these questions because enquiring minds want to know.

Do tips matter? Yes and no. Depends on your stateroom category. For us in a Cat 11 it made more of a difference in price paid. For a Cat 3 or 4 it wouldn't make as much because of the difference in money paid. I'm not sure if I'm stating my point correctly here.

Pleasure Island party - It rained during this and that took some away from it. There was lemonade and iced tea and donuts in both Mannequins and 8Trax. Everything else was a cash bar. Comedy Warehouse did 3 shows, 1 each at 4:30, 5:30 and 6:30. CW was also a cash bar and that was worth going to. The 5:30 show lasted about 50 minutes. This was a nice effort to provide those arriving early an alternative to going into the parks or just hanging at the resorts.

Lisa0503 - You asked about paying cash vs. points. Also you mentioned having a veranda. I found the Cat 11 perfectly adequate. I was barely in the room other than to use the bathroom, change or sleep. There are so many activities you can't do all of them. I did Art Linkletter, and Ducky Williams during the day and all four nightly shows and the 3 deck parties. Also, Who wants to be a mouseketeer (Millionaire with DVC questions). I barely had time to sleep (overslept Jim Lewis speech but of course heard about it). On a 7 day cruise I can see having a veranda or bigger stateroom with the split bath but not for the shorter cruises especially for the difference in money/points.

Sneaky3 - You asked about dry dock. I asked Captain Henry on the way off if our next cruise would be the first after dry dock. I think he said yes, he said the ship goes into dry dock on October 2nd then I couldn't hear what he said (I didn't want to hold up the line and we had a plane to catch). If it's not the first it will be among the first few.

Johnnie Fedora, jekjones1558 and anyone else on the bubble - This was a truly special cruise and DVC and DCL went above and beyond to make everything perfect for us. Art Linkletter was a very special event and I watched it all night long on channel 15 the last two nights as both it and Jim Lewis' speech were played continously. The personal touch that has sometimes been lacking at WDW the last few years was not at all lacking on this cruise. It was like visiting WDW in the 70s and 80s when the top priority was the guest, not the bottom line. On the last night I met up with Deb Wills by the Internet Cafe and we talked about this very subject. This whole cruise was like the Magic Kingdom night at Member Homecoming, perfect in every way.

I almost forgot to list what we received as gifts (help if I missed something):

Mickey SS Member Cruise Fan/Waving Hand
Mickey Sketch and Pencil Set
DVC Member "I Know the Secret" Beach Bag
Members are Magical Beach Towel
DVC Beach ball (if you took them from the beach at Castaway Cay)
Mickey Mouse Club ears with Member as the name stitched on the back
Mickey and Minnie Alarm Clock
The Art of DVC book (mine is still sealed so I can't describe what is inside)
SS Member Cruise DVC Members Magnet on the door to each stateroom

Pins each night: black and white marching mickey, pirate mickey with pirate mickey doll, fantasy mickey and sorcerer mickey

Pirate bandanna in your dining room on pirate night
King Crown or queen tierra on fantasy night in your dining room
Don "Ducky" Williams signed Mickey and Minnie DVC Print

I will definitely be calling whenever the day is to try and book it. This time the whole family may come (we're still working on my dad-it is during hunting season).

Copper3

Hi everyone!

We spent a night at Pop after the cruise, because we couldn't make our original flight out on Thursday, and the extra night was so worth it. I think we'll always plan on a night after as well as a night before a cruise from now on!

We MAY go in 2006, (I'll trade it for a December '06 cruise to celebrate my birthday), but I'm just not sure I can (or want to) take a week off in the middle of my teaching quarter.

Tom and I were thrilled with all of the presentations by the guest speakers. They were the highlights for us. This cruise truly met and exceeded all of our expectations.

What was best was meeting all of the other DVCers. There was a contest, (did any DISer win the prize of the fees payment?), and it caused people to mingle, ask questions and just meet each other.

We went on points, Category 9, I loved the big picture window we had, and our cabin 2080 was on some sort of "noisy cabin" list, but it wasn't, it was a great cabin. I'd "go" for it, if we decide that we can join you all in "06!!!

Bobbi :flower:

I want to say that the Davis family won it they were on deck 7. Jim Lewis said it so quick that I barely got it. The cruise was great I am hoping that the points won't be so excessive cause I want to go. My sons 10 birthday is on Oct 22 so it would be his present.

Michele

Hi there! We booked this cruise months ago, but are not members of the elite DVC. :) Our reservation still shows that we are booked on this cruise, but I am assuming that we will be getting bumped. Does anyone know how this works and when we'll be notified of our bumping? We don't mind rebooking, but we have our stateroom of choice (8534) and don't plan on anything less if we need to rebook. :)

TIA!

Copper3 said:
Todd, who is the Jerry you refer to? Jerry Garcia? Just wondering.

There was a Boston DIS meet named... wait for it... Jerry (we even have Jerry T-shirts). I kid you not. And it was put on by Karen (TLinden16).

Checking in!

There was a pre cruise meet already Mary??

I met the couple who won the challenge in the last night of Bingo.

I am really excited about next years cruise!

cherylp3 said:
There was a pre cruise meet already Mary??

Well it could be either a post-cruise meet or a pre-cruise meet. I'm hoping it was a pre-cruise meet and everyone who attendend will be going again in 2006! :)

We will definitely be by the phone to book this next DVC cruise. This one was our first member event, and I don't think that I want to miss any future DVC cruises. They are just TOO much fun!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter