“Our Trip Behind the Bricks---- A Darkside Redux… “

What a great, great story. I can't tell you how much it brightened up my not so great Monday. Thank you! :goodvibes

Life has a way of coming around, doesn't it? And just when you think it might not. Just gotta keep the faith. And I'm so glad I helped a bit in getting your DS excited - he's going to have such a blast!

Oh, and if you get a chance, tell Josh he brings it and he's helped us tremendously in the past. Besides, the last time I checked, snark never hurts - and heck, it's not even a misdemeanor in the Great State of Florida....

And I can't wait to hear how it goes - a post or PM, whichever you want - I very much look forward to it....

On Josh's forum, I posted my story with more detail and called him my Fairy Godfather. It got a good reaction. :) I love reading his stuff; I will tell him if he graces me with his presence! He sounded like he would! He needs more Universal posts now that my kid is way into SUPERHEROES and Harry Potter. :) I think my Donald Duck (thus the angryduck in my avatar) will have to wait for me a bit... sigh... I am hoping to post a trip report as well! Hopefully as great as yours! If I can only figure out how to download my pics without beating my old Mac or throwing it out a window first...

I'm glad I helped make your Monday! It's been tough trying to work today, hasn't it? Glad I could brighten yours a little since we so enjoyed your report and since you're obviously a Nimoy fan! Love it!

On Josh's forum, I posted my story with more detail and called him my Fairy Godfather. It got a good reaction. :) I love reading his stuff; I will tell him if he graces me with his presence! He sounded like he would! He needs more Universal posts now that my kid is way into SUPERHEROES and Harry Potter. :) I think my Donald Duck (thus the angryduck in my avatar) will have to wait for me a bit... sigh... I am hoping to post a trip report as well! Hopefully as great as yours! If I can only figure out how to download my pics without beating my old Mac or throwing it out a window first...

I'm glad I helped make your Monday! It's been tough trying to work today, hasn't it? Glad I could brighten yours a little since we so enjoyed your report and since you're obviously a Nimoy fan! Love it!
You'll be amazed at how writing a TR really helps bring all of those small, but wonderful memories back to the forefront. The ones you might otherwise forget. And, it's a wonderful family bonding thing. Honestly, the reactions and laughter from our boys while they're reading, "QA-ing", and choosing pictures for it, along with posts like yours, make the effort and hours more than worth it.

Besides you have a Mac! By the time you get back, I'm sure Apple will have an app available where Siri does the whole TR for you. ;)

And I probably just jinxed next year's camera by taunting Apple.....

Great update. Looks like an awesome morning, even if it was a little....... wet.

Part of our crew did Dudley the day we were leaving for the airport way back on our last US trip 10 years ago. Duh. Bad move. It was December too, so very chilly.

What a bummer on the camera. Did you end up tossing it when you got home? Or were there any life-saving measures?

Poolside lunch looks heavenly.

The whole thing just seems so laid-back. Such a contrast to the Disney experience these days. Sigh.

Great update. Looks like an awesome morning, even if it was a little....... wet.

Part of our crew did Dudley the day we were leaving for the airport way back on our last US trip 10 years ago. Duh. Bad move. It was December too, so very chilly.

What a bummer on the camera. Did you end up tossing it when you got home? Or were there any life-saving measures?

Poolside lunch looks heavenly.

The whole thing just seems so laid-back. Such a contrast to the Disney experience these days. Sigh.
Incredibly laid back. The best way for me to explain it is comparing it to our last WDW Trip. We had a wonderful time, but I was so worn out when we got back, I didn't even log on to the Disboards for 3 or 4 months, I don't think.

No way did I have the energy to do a TR.....

And the camera? we sent it back to Pentax - still under warranty. But, haven't heard a word back - they're probably scared to move it around too much since it doesn't seem to like that......:sick:

Last edited:

I was in stitches at your discussion about whether the camera had been moved around a lot! :rotfl2:

I agree, Universal is awesomely laid back compared to WDW now. Other than HP, you can just get up and go. I have to admit though, I didn't get the same impression when we visited from offsite on our last trip. I think for me, I need the combination of staying onsite for at least a few days, plus the Express Passes, to really enjoy it. It also feels like way more of a bubble than WDW does if you stay onsite. I think it's amazing how they created such an immersive environment right in the middle of Orlando without having 43 square miles around it ;)

I was in stitches at your discussion about whether the camera had been moved around a lot! :rotfl2:
If we ever do get it back and take on another Theme Park vacation, I guess we'll just have to rent it a stroller.....

If we ever do get it back and take on another Theme Park vacation, I guess we'll just have to rent it a stroller.....

Hey, don't laugh. I've considered renting a stroller for my camera bag. In my defense, I never followed through though. :p

I agree, Universal is awesomely laid back compared to WDW now. Other than HP, you can just get up and go. I have to admit though, I didn't get the same impression when we visited from offsite on our last trip. I think for me, I need the combination of staying onsite for at least a few days, plus the Express Passes, to really enjoy it. It also feels like way more of a bubble than WDW does if you stay onsite. I think it's amazing how they created such an immersive environment right in the middle of Orlando without having 43 square miles around it ;)
I agree. I'm firmly in the on-site camp, now. Its benefits definitely outweigh the expense for us, right now. And AP's are really such a good deal and the discounts we got with them (and having to only buy one preferred to get them) helped a lot...

Hey, don't laugh. I've considered renting a stroller for my camera bag. In my defense, I never followed through though. :p

My goodness, can you imagine all of the "Did you see that lady with the stroller for her CAMERA? She almost RAN ME OVER..!!!" threads that would have started on here? The Disboards would have exploded.....!!:rotfl2:

I agree. I'm firmly in the on-site camp, now. Its benefits definitely outweigh the expense for us, right now. And AP's are really such a good deal and the discounts we got with them (and having to only buy one preferred to get them) helped a lot...

Curious - what value did you get out of the preferred vs. the power pass? Sorry if this was covered in the TR, if so just point me to the post, I tend to forget what I read 5 minutes after reading it these days!

Curious - what value did you get out of the preferred vs. the power pass? Sorry if this was covered in the TR, if so just point me to the post, I tend to forget what I read 5 minutes after reading it these days!
With the preferred, we got 10% off all of our food and merchandise in-Park, The Resorts and CityWalk. It really added up at the end of 6 days. Plus, we would only have been able to hit the Parks 4 days with the 4 day pass, but the AP's allowed us to hit the Parks our arrival afternoon and evening and for a couple of hours on the day we left.

Here's the link to the grid of benefits:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Annual-Passes.aspx

We thought it well worthwhile.....

I just found your trip report and have read it all, thus far. Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing! We leave for our first UOA trip in 5 days and I can't wait!

Finally caught up with your latest updates.......looks like a lot of fun.

Although we never pool hop as we prefer pool at RP we do love the food at the Beach club at HR, your pics made me want to go back this year.

Looking for next update..........:)

Great trip report!!! In fact after i post this message I am off to read your early ones :)
We will be staying at HRH first 2 days of September to visit US for our first time. My husband and I are both Die hard Potter fans, so uber excited!! He is also a thrill ride junkie (me not so much, I have severe motion sickness, but pop my pills and do them all anyways!). I was just wondering if you know what the crowd level rating was for your days? You seem to get quite a bit accomplished, and I'm obviously hoping to have the same luck. Did you follow any sort of touring plan or was it all just "winged"? Cheers.

Looking forward to reading your report! Sounds wonderful!

Thanks so much, and Welcome Aboard!

I just found your trip report and have read it all, thus far. Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing! We leave for our first UOA trip in 5 days and I can't wait!
5 days? I'm jealous! :) Have a great time and don't forget to report back...

Finally caught up with your latest updates.......looks like a lot of fun.

Although we never pool hop as we prefer pool at RP we do love the food at the Beach club at HR, your pics made me want to go back this year.

Looking for next update..........:)

We love The Beach Club at HR. The food and drinks are great and the kids love the pool. And, good tunes for an old rocker...:smokin:

We're traveling right now - our oldest got selected as a kids State Rep for this Congressional program in DC for a week, so I'll be back to get the next update this Thursday

Great trip report!!! In fact after i post this message I am off to read your early ones :)
We will be staying at HRH first 2 days of September to visit US for our first time. My husband and I are both Die hard Potter fans, so uber excited!! He is also a thrill ride junkie (me not so much, I have severe motion sickness, but pop my pills and do them all anyways!). I was just wondering if you know what the crowd level rating was for your days? You seem to get quite a bit accomplished, and I'm obviously hoping to have the same luck. Did you follow any sort of touring plan or was it all just "winged"? Cheers.
Ha! You and DW have a lot in common on the thrill ride side of things :thumbsup2

I never checked the Crowd Calendars for our stay. I usually go by what the EP prices are as a gauge. But, I will tell you, it was 30% or so more crowded than the previous year and still not a problem. I'll be posting some crowd pic's next update. Even then, we've never followed any touring plan besides hitting around EE for Potter since FJ and Gringotts don't take EP and maybe trying to hit DM early since it's about the only EP ride that can back up a bit. Other than that, we just wing it and do whatever we feel like. It's amazingly relaxing

And since you'll have EE and EP privileges because of your HR stay, you'll be able to get just as much done. Also, that's usually a pretty low crowd week since it's after most schools start and before the Labor day weekend. You'll probably have less crowd to deal with since we were there during Tour Group time.

You're going to have a blast and be totally awed by the wonderful job they've done with the Potter Universe. There's nothing like it....

I am getting so excited for our upcoming trip in a few short weeks. Between your TR and Schumi's TR I am almost becoming resentful of the first week being at WDW! I cannot wait to relax at Universal and the RPR after the minutiae that is WDW.
The trip has already started off on a fabulous note because of RPR. I had some transportation questions regarding our flight arrival (to Disney first) and departure (from RPR). Concierge staff were so amazing at helping me find the transportation to suit my requests at a reasonable cost. They could have easily recommended an expensive car service, but instead found the best solution at the best cost. That service combined with these TRs has me more excited than DD for our trip!
That was a long winded thank you, but THANK YOU for your TR!
(And congratulations on your son's Congressional appointment :))

I am getting so excited for our upcoming trip in a few short weeks. Between your TR and Schumi's TR I am almost becoming resentful of the first week being at WDW! I cannot wait to relax at Universal and the RPR after the minutiae that is WDW.
The trip has already started off on a fabulous note because of RPR. I had some transportation questions regarding our flight arrival (to Disney first) and departure (from RPR). Concierge staff were so amazing at helping me find the transportation to suit my requests at a reasonable cost. They could have easily recommended an expensive car service, but instead found the best solution at the best cost. That service combined with these TRs has me more excited than DD for our trip!
That was a long winded thank you, but THANK YOU for your TR!
(And congratulations on your son's Congressional appointment :))
You're going to LOVE RPH. It's the Poly, if the Poly had been built and run by Loews, if you know what I mean. You'll find that out as soon as you relax on one of those Loews beds with those Loews pillows! :thumbsup2

And their TM's plus their service are outstanding. I'm glad you've already had a chance to find that out! And, I think you'll be really glad you did WDW first. Thats almost the unanimous choice around here, so you finish with the relaxing part instead of wishing you were back at Uni every time you have your nose glued to your phone checking FP and ADR schedules!

And thanks for the nice words about our son. It's a great honor for him. I just hope he remembers to brush his teeth and hair and tuck his shirt in before meeting anybody who could raise my taxes or throw an audit my way....;)

Have a great time and please drop back in for an update on both Schumigirl's and this TR so we can hear about your trip!

You're going to LOVE RPH. It's the Poly, if the Poly had been built and run by Loews, if you know what I mean. You'll find that out as soon as you relax on one of those Loews beds with those Loews pillows! :thumbsup2

And their TM's plus their service are outstanding. I'm glad you've already had a chance to find that out! And, I think you'll be really glad you did WDW first. Thats almost the unanimous choice around here, so you finish with the relaxing part instead of wishing you were back at Uni every time you have your nose glued to your phone checking FP and ADR schedules!

And thanks for the nice words about our son. It's a great honor for him. I just hope he remembers to brush his teeth and hair and tuck his shirt in before meeting anybody who could raise my taxes or throw an audit my way....;)

Have a great time and please drop back in for an update on both Schumigirl's and this TR so we can hear about your trip!

Lololol! I am laughing so hard I just spat out my tea! I'm an auditor!:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter