“Our Trip Behind the Bricks---- A Darkside Redux… “

clsteve

"It takes a very long time to become young..."

Wow.

Kinda hard to believe a year’s already passed, isn’t it? Seems like I just finished the last Trip Report. I know everybody always says time moves more quickly as you get older, but this is ridiculous!

Speaking of getting older…..

1123225_55215924_zps89eb0057.jpg

Yes, the boys are growing like weeds at now 9 and 11.5 years old, my wife is as pretty as ever, and I just got my first AARP membership right before the trip! No joke. And no matter what it’s done to my psyche, the discounts you get are excellent and worth every “You know you’re old when…” joke.

So here we are, back again for another Trip Report- our first “Trip Behind the Bricks…” as we’ve been calling this Darkside Redux. And you know what...? I had a blast writing last year’s and both boys really want another about this year (to be frank, I just think they love seeing themselves on-line). Plus, writing it really turned out to be a great cure for the post-trip blues. But honestly, the best parts about the whole TR experience were the interactions with you fellow Dis’ers! It was fun answering questions while (hopefully) passing along a little excitement and a few hints and observations. So, feel free to jump in with any questions and comments – but please no grammar, syntax, spelling corrections - nor questions and/or concerns about the writer’s character, sanity, or sobriety....;)

632_zpse807c5e2.jpg

Much like the last TR, I’ll summarize the trip by day and be as objective as possible. I’ll also try to do a detailed review of each of the restaurants we visited, including Vivo, Antojito’s and Cowfish Sushi. This time, we even took more food pictures, as requested! We aim to please around here….

Food Teaser....

IMGP1372_zps97de374f.jpg

I likes Eels, but here's a more mainstream Teaser:

IMGP1354_zps20470737.jpg

And surprise–surprise!, another camera incident! I’m really starting to think that her IPhone is one very jealous piece of technology. This is the second time it's shown absolutely no ability to share the spotlight with another camera. My guess, it must not have watched enough Barney and Friends when it was younger. But I did get 3 and a half days of pictures in before the hex hit….

Enough of the ramblings! Let’s get started.

After such a wonderful 4 night trip last year, we decided to do an even longer stay this time – 6 nights. Basically the same time of year, give or take a week. And, for those of you who read the previous TR – the kids won the “PBH or RPH” debate! Or, at least they think they did. We got a better deal at RPH. Just don’t tell them – they kinda enjoy the illusion that this family ‘s still a Democracy...

We also flipped the trip this year by visiting my MiL in Sarasota Springs first, then heading over to UOR. I’m so, so, so glad we did, since the this trip started out with one of those adventures that can get the blood pressure up into that "Dad needs to do those breathing exercises" zone.

The Trip

We live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina - or The OBX - as a lot of folks know it. Access to and from our little Island is only by ferry, or private boat, or swimming (not recommended).

Sunrise on the Ferry

Ferry1_zps69ab8058.jpg

Ferry2_zpscc081fe2.jpg

Cormorants on the Pamlico Sound

Ferry3_zps5d59e2f5.jpg

Great morning to be on the Ferry and it really can be a relaxing way to start a vacation – once you know it’s actually going to leave and is not down for fog, weather or maintenance. And yes, we’ve experienced all of the above too many times – just part of the price of island living. Of course, that all sounds great until that last ferry home doesn't run and you have your car full of food and coolers with cold stuff after shopping off-island. It’s about a 2.5 hour ride and then a 3 hour drive to Raleigh Airport.

Got Paint…?

Ferry5_zps0cab75c5.jpg

It seems a few of our ferries need a little TLC...

But this time, we try something different – New Bern! Our friends have been raving about how easy it is to fly to Fla. out of the tiny New Bern Airport. It’s only an hour and a half drive after the ferry and you can park right next to the terminal it’s so small. Plus the flights are often cheaper and they fly to Sarasota Springs after an easy connect in Charlotte (USAir) – no drive from Tampa.

It… All… Sounds… So… Great! (channeling my inner Capt Kirk)

We catch the 7am ferry, drive to New Bern, and get there at 12:15pm for our 4:30pm flight. Easy peasy! - until they cancel our flight for maintenance… not kidding. And here’s where the benefits of a small airport fall off the cliff. There aren’t any other flights that day- last one - nor flights on any other airline, meaning Delta. And since it’s a long weekend (MLK) - all flights for the next day are also booked! But they can get us out at 6:30am tomorrow morning --- FROM Raleigh!!!! With a long layover in Atlanta!!!!

Back come our bags and back into the car we go….. at 5:30pm…. for our 3 hr drive to Raleigh …. to spend the night…. to get to Fla …. a day late. Basically, if I’d just headed south in the car after getting off the ferry and skipped the whole flight thing, I could have made it to Sarasota Springs by 2am, same day. Instead, we arrived 5pm the next day after a full 34 hours of travel. If it had been a day at UOR we lost instead of a day at my MiL’s --- now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my MiL. But I'll bet that those of you who have family in Fla and wrestle with the amount of family visit time versus time for killing aliens, riding 'coasters, seeing dragons, and drinking butterbeer understand exactly where I'm coming from......

Btw, I just have to ask you all something: is there some sort of natural law or unwritten rule that in-laws can only have guest room mattresses that were made on or before the year 1952…? Anyone else have this issue? Or this my own private purgatory…??

Good visit with my MiL, besides the moving to the couch at 2am in the morning part, and we always enjoy Sarasota Springs every time we go. There really are some great things to do in that area, and I just have to plug one of them before we move on to Universal Orlando:

The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens:

IMGP1182_zpsc21aa659.jpg

That's the boys all "hippied out" before ole Dad sprung a Sports Clips trip on them the next morning. We all fought the flu the 2 weeks prior to leaving - just like everybody else this year. So, had to get some maintenance in once we could finally get off-Island.

IMGP1197_zps42bccede.jpg

IMGP1210_zps247db7be.jpg

I could have sat by the Koi Pond for just about the whole vacation. Folks were sketching, meditating, having a picnic lunch on the lawns.... It was $19.00 for adults and $4.00 for kids to get in. Plus, they have yearly memberships. Shame on anybody in Sarasota who doesn't have one....;)

IMGP1187_zpsd8c68c2a.jpg

Do yourself a favor if you’re in the area – and go. It’s absolutely beautiful and such a relaxing way to spend an afternoon. The kids had a blast, as well. That’s Russell in the Cactus Garden, below. (He's DS11 – they've talked me into using their names this year)

IMGP1198_zps2505e68d.jpg

IMGP1219_zps7af38a0a.jpg

It’s right on the water, and they also have a wonderful kids’ play and explore area - similar in ways to a smaller version of Camp Jurassic, but without dinosaurs.

IMGP1218_zps7b038cb2.jpg

For you AK fans (I'm one), they have several real Banyan Trees of different ages. Below, is just part of the canopy of the oldest one at 100 years. It's a stunning tree and the same one the gentlemen are sitting under and staring up at in one of the pictures, above.....

IMGP1222_zps60f2f29a.jpg

There are paths throughout the the property where you can just take in the landscaping - below, that's the backdrop for the Wedding Lawn, btw.

IMGP1213_zps4328a882.jpg

Their orchid collection is world class and I’ve never seen a such a quality selection of bromeliads and orchids for sale as in their gift shop. Kinda glad it’s so far away. I’d spend way too much money in there….

IMGP1162_zpsdb7aa8e6.jpg

IMGP1232_zps7d2d8688.jpg

Apologies for the "Naturalist" sidetrack. But, getting dirty with some plants and amazing displays of landscaping are a sweet spot for me...

After 3 days in Sarasota Springs, we’re off to Universal! But before we go on to the next installment: A quick money saving, how to get a rental car upgrade tip, that works especially well at smaller airports - or those in town rental spots:

We rented from Enterprise on-line and had reserved a premium, midsized, car (Chrysler 300) for 4 days in Sarasota, dropping off in Orlando after our drive over from Sarasota. Got a great 4 day rate (thanks COSTCO..!!!) of $253.11. That included all taxes and fees. When we got to the airport counter, we told them we’d be more than happy to pay another $10-$15 per day if we could upgrade to a large class or SUV. They did it. So for another $10.99/day, we scored a big Suburban. The regular price for that upgrade was $69/per day. Works every time – has something to do with how they’re incented/bonused on up-sells at the counters. Plus, they gave us another discount on the full price (thanks AARP!!!) on top of the COSTCO one. So a big upgrade plus a double discount for only a $10.99/day upcharge just by dealing with the counter at a smaller airport. It pays to not fly into MCO sometimes….

Here’s another thing I learned from a Fla. friend in Sarasota who has done this little known (to me anyway) promotion numerous times: Enterprise often runs a special, in Fla-only, deal – especially around May, September, and right after the holidays. You can often rent a car for 15-20 bucks a day as long as you’re taking the car out of Fla and dropping it off 2 or more States away. Seems they get so many tourists dropping cars in Fla after Spring Break, the summer, the holidays, they need to move them out – out to anywhere. Haven’t done it myself, nor have I validated it, but am seriously contemplating a one way flight in and a drive back next trip with that amount of savings. Something I thought might be of interest to some of you.

Well, outta space, outta time…

Day One’s On Deck:

RPH, And The Kid’s are Alright….

Attachments

• IMGP1198 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP1198 - Copy.JPG
    982.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Great pics to start off, I love your ferry pics. (Having lived in "ferry-lands" myself at various points in my life.) And the botanical gardens. I am not a gardener myself--I can kill grass--but I appreciate a beautiful tree.

Looking forward to reading more.

I just finished your last trip report this weekend. Yea for a new one. Really looking forward to it!
Off to a great start, well, not the flight problems.

Looking forward to reading this one........first pics are lovely!

On a side note......I have never heard of where you live........so it was interesting to see it on a map........I chose History over geography...and it shows sometimes :rolleyes1

Hope you enjoyed RPR :-)

I'm in!

Stunning photos of the botanical gardens. Just gorgeous.
Fla. really has some amazing places scattered all over. And that's now one of my favorites :thumbsup2

Great pics to start off, I love your ferry pics. (Having lived in "ferry-lands" myself at various points in my life.) And the botanical gardens. I am not a gardener myself--I can kill grass--but I appreciate a beautiful tree.
Looking forward to reading more.
Ha! Then you understand very well that little bit of "extra spice" depending on a ferry can add to one's life! But, you can get some amazing sunrises and sunsets when you travel them frequently. From your ticker, it looks like you're really close to heading down - exciting!

I just finished your last trip report this weekend. Yea for a new one. Really looking forward to it!
Off to a great start, well, not the flight problems.
Thanks! And I am considering just driving next time or at least taking it down to one flight leg and trying that Enterprise Deal for the way back - if they're still running it....

Looking forward to reading this one........first pics are lovely!
On a side note......I have never heard of where you live........so it was interesting to see it on a map........I chose History over geography...and it shows sometimes :rolleyes1

Hope you enjoyed RPR :-)

Loved RPH. We had a really nice stay. And we do kinda stick out there in the water a bit. Easy to miss if you don't look closely!

We live in NC and since around 2005 (when flight costs determined it was too much for us) we've driven down every time we go. It takes us about 9.5 hours and sometimes we do it in one day and other times we break it up (if we leave after school on Friday) and stop in GA and finish up the next day. (We always drive straight home). We love having our car with us.

Great start, looking forward to your new report!

Wow, what a beautiful place to call home.

I would never fly to Orlando if I lived within a day's drive, I hate flying SO much and the more I do it, the more I hate it!

Looking forward to the rest!

We live in NC and since around 2005 (when flight costs determined it was too much for us) we've driven down every time we go. It takes us about 9.5 hours and sometimes we do it in one day and other times we break it up (if we leave after school on Friday) and stop in GA and finish up the next day. (We always drive straight home). We love having our car with us.

It's about 14.5 hours for us to get to Sarasota Springs. The 2.5 hour ferry adds a lot. So, it's right on the "have to spend the night on the road" cusp. But now that the boys are getting older (and gas prices are dropping...) it's definitely entering the comfort zone for us, no doubt...

Great start, looking forward to your new report!

Wow, what a beautiful place to call home.

I would never fly to Orlando if I lived within a day's drive, I hate flying SO much and the more I do it, the more I hate it!

Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks! It is beautiful here. Like any place - there are positives and negatives. It just depends on which way the scale tips for you. The positive side for us right now.

And I completely understand the flying thing. I don't know if I could do what I used to do for a living - constantly flying somewhere. Airlines have gotten so cutthroat, airports so packed, so fewer flight options and times while they try to cram as many into each flight, paying for bags..... it's just getting to be too much.

I'm in! I read your first trippie, and I was hooked! :thumbsup2

You write so well, have a terrific sense of humour and perspective on life, and your photos are gorgeous! But no pressure for this one, right? ;)

Keep it coming! You have a dedicated fan! :cheer2:

I'm in! I read your first trippie, and I was hooked! :thumbsup2

You write so well, have a terrific sense of humour and perspective on life, and your photos are gorgeous! But no pressure for this one, right? ;)

Keep it coming! You have a dedicated fan! :cheer2:

No pressure whatsoever!!! It's tax time and this is the absolute best diversion I can think of.......

(much thanks, btw.... :))

Glad you're back with another trip report! We are Disney refugees, looking for a new vacation home so I'm especially interested in your hotel compare/contrasts. We also have 2 boys, my MiL has the-worst-full-sized-bed-in-the-history-of-the-world in her "guest" room and I just got my AARP application yesterday, so lots of points of common ground! My Dad is a botanist and we spent every summer traveling to different gardens (waaaay before they had fun gift shops and playgrounds) so that was a nice walk down memory lane for me and fun to see how those places have changed. Looking forward to the rest of your trip; I think it's great that your kids are enjoying being famous on the internet :smooth:

Beautiful pictures!

i'm always in for trip reports...

your pictures are stunning!
Thanks! If you can believe it, those ferry sunrise pictures that morning were actually taken with the IPhone - no special settings, filters, etc. It was just one of those perfect mornings with no breeze, or mist - just the perfect amount of early morning clouds to let Nature do her work....

Glad you're back with another trip report! We are Disney refugees, looking for a new vacation home so I'm especially interested in your hotel compare/contrasts. We also have 2 boys, my MiL has the-worst-full-sized-bed-in-the-history-of-the-world in her "guest" room and I just got my AARP application yesterday, so lots of points of common ground! My Dad is a botanist and we spent every summer traveling to different gardens (waaaay before they had fun gift shops and playgrounds) so that was a nice walk down memory lane for me and fun to see how those places have changed. Looking forward to the rest of your trip; I think it's great that your kids are enjoying being famous on the internet :smooth:

You're right - lots of similarities :thumbsup2 I feel your pain as a youth. My dad was an Agriculture/Forestry major, but also a Navy Pilot for 34 years. Without fail, we would put in a half acre garden each year --- and then he would go to sea for months, leaving it to me to take care of. Just what a teenaged boy wanted to do with his summers.....;)

I think Sealy, Serta, or Tempurpedic should start a nationwide "change your mattress" campaign targeted solely on in-Laws......

RPH, And The Kid’s are Alright….

You know what might help? A little background info on this trip. Probably a good idea before we jump right into Day Uno. So, without getting into a bunch of detail, I’ll just give a quick synopsis of last year's trip:

It was the boys’ first time to Uni after having done WDW
It was our first time to Uni since a ’99 “rent the whole Park” Corporate Event we did together right after US opened
We did 4 nights and 3.5 days on-site at PBH
We had a blast
We wanted to come back again and soon (DA opening had a lot to do with that)
Us having a blast last year:

IMG_0123_zps201f5a75.jpg

But, we had 100% family agreement on one big negative- 3.5 days wasn't enough time. You see, we're a go-relax-go-relax family...if that makes any sense whatsoever. We like to hit the Parks early; take break at mid-day for lunch, pool, and relaxation; then we might hit the Parks again in the afternoon; or pick another activity like mini-golf, or BlueManGroup; followed by a nice relaxing dinner - then off to bed. Rinse and repeat the next day.

Plus, we’re unabashed, unapologetic, card-carrying, ride, ride, ride and re-riders...!!!

1123225_55133152_zps3924bdb1.jpg

Yep. When the mood strikes, we have no problems whatsoever riding Men in Black 5 times in a row, or E.T. 3 times, or Gringotts, FJ, Flight of the Hippogriff (the boys, that is. My lower back is now officially retired from this ‘coaster) or any other ride. In fact, it's Reason Number 1 or 1a why we've become enamored with Universal.

Which is
why we did 6 nights and 6 days this time. And when I really think about it, I’ll bet we only averaged 6 hours a day actually in the Park – which is kind of surprising.

Once that was decided, the only things left were: when to go, where to stay, and what tickets to purchase.

When to go is pretty easy for us – either the week before or the week after MLK Weekend always seems to work best. The kids have kind of a mini-Winter’s Break around it that allow us to go for 2 weeks somewhere while they only miss 4 days of school (Spring, Fall and Summer are no-go’s since everything’s tourism where we live. When they’re here, we have to be too….). Plus, the Park crowd levels (and room prices) are very manageable mid-January.

Where to stay? As much as Mom and Dad loved PBH last year, RPH won out. Why? It was the best deal of the 3 hotels. Plus, we really like trying different spots and the kids were going to be ecstatic. And there’s no doubt that the closeness to the Parks and CityWalk was a big draw - especially with all of the new restaurants since our last visit. I’m pretty confident my better half was as excited to try Vivo, Cowfish, and Antojito’s as she was anything else……

And the tickets? Annual Passes were a no brainer. With the length of time we were staying, the APH discount on the room, the food and restaurant discounts, the merchandise discounts, and full Park-to-Park, it was an easy decision. We purchased a Preferred for me (getting those discounts) and Power Passes for the rest of the family. Total cost with tax was $1001.08. The 4Day Park-to-Park tickets for the 4 of us was going to be $822.50.

So, for an extra $178.58, we were now able to hit the Parks every day if we wanted and we’re all set for entry if we have to go back to Fla for any reason within the year (and with an older parent living there, that happens sometimes). But best of all, we were immediately able to get a $322.00 discount on our room for the 6 nights.

Our Annual Passes put us $143.42 ahead of the game and we hadn't even stepped in the Parks……

RPH

We said goodbye to Nana in Sarasota Springs at 9:15am, hopped in that big bus Suburban and pointed it to Universal Orlando. We did one stop at Publix to stock up on snacks, waters, and breakfast items and arrived at 11:20am. One note on that Suburban – really nice, but it was almost like DW and I were on a no-kids trip. Seems the boys loved the third seat feature and rode back there the whole 4 days we had it. They might as well have been in another vehicle….

The room was ready when we checked in. And we had a surprise for the boys. Since we had enough rewards points saved up on the business card for the year to cover the full cost of it, we decided to splurge on one of the Hospitality Parlor Suites with attached King Room.

They’re really nice:
419_zps188716b2.jpg

420_zpsadbc4ba2.jpg

423_zps16d6352a.jpg

The sofa pulls out and there’s a full bath with stand-up shower in that room.

428_zps15eb4d03.jpg

The Kitchen Nook had a full fridge with icemaker, sink, microwave and came stocked with plenty of glasses, plates, silverware, etc. “Really well stocked - and a big Keurig with tea!“ (from DW). Their coffee pods are Deitrich's. I really liked the Dark French Roast they supplied. Enough that we ordered it once we got home.

421_zpsba4e45d3.jpg

The attached King Room was a standard room with standard bath:

426_zpse19c450c.jpg

427_zps4460c084.jpg

We were in Tower Three, 4th floor, rooms 3405/3407 (3 being tower, 4 the floor, 05/07 the actual room, btw). It was close, but not too close to the elevators and our view was of garden spaces with International Drive off in the distance. We loved the room. It was clean, housekeeping was really good each day, I didn't hear any noise from any other room, and I can remember only the one time hearing noise from the hallway (a few “happy” NBC/Universal Event attendees coming back from CityWalk about 2:15am. Nobody else heard it. I’m a light sleeper…..).

And RPH itself…? We all give it two thumbs up. We really enjoyed the ambiance, the amenities, the pool (more later), the restaurants (more later), and especially, the closeness. Not once did we use the boats to or from the hotel to the Parks or CityWalk. Now that I think about it, we only used the boats once the whole trip- returning from Portofino one day.

I’ll do a more detailed comparison of PBH and RPH at the end of the TR.

While the family’s getting all settled, I head back downstairs to return the rental car to Enterprise which is just down the street about a mile in the Best Western (pretty slick way to get out of unpacking, don’t you think…? ;) ). Very personalized service. I was in, out in a few minutes, and they actually drove me back by myself in the same car- no waiting on a shuttle. Total turnaround was about 30 minutes. Enterprise really is a close and convenient rental car option and can be a lot cheaper than the on-site options if you want to grab a car for a couple of days to explore beyond the Resort…

By the time I’m back, everyone’s ready for the pool and something to eat. We’d heard that they do good food down at Bula's, the poolside bar, so off we go (you’ll see this as a recurring theme – we’re becoming an “eat by the pool on vacation” family….).

Had to steal these pics from another day because we forgot the camera and the IPhone when we headed down! And that's really not a bad thing, we all should probably do that more often….

462_zps1ff33a7d.jpg

431_zps095f2895.jpg

The food was good – some huge chicken nacho thing for the boys and a split ahi tuna app for us. 3 stars, but I still find the HRH Grill a little bit better.

After the boys burned off that “been in the car” energy and Mom and Dad relaxed by the pool with a couple of “been in the car and unpacked all the stuff” cocktails (a 3.5 star Mango Mojito for me, a Bula Bula something-or-other for her that I’ll give 4 stars just for the relaxed “sigh…” it gave her), it’s time to get the kids back upstairs.

One quick but important note: all of the Pool Bar and Grills add 18% gratuity to the bill. No Matter The Size of Your Party. I have a tendency to forget, though they usually point it out…..

So the boys get out of the pool and just pop out with a: “Dad we love it here! This is going to be the best vacation ever….!” You know, it’s funny. All of us spend the whole year keeping things together and doing all those things to make life easier for them – and once in awhile they just figure out a way to make it all worthwhile.

Yep, the kids are alright…..

But, there's just one other thing I need to do before we move on. I've been getting a little "heat" from my better half. It seems that I may been a little harsh describing the quality of life we experienced at my Mil's. Too make amends, here she is making dinner for us:

404_zps8427950f.jpg

So, even though the guest mattress may have been liberated from an old Soviet Gulag, she's still an amazing Lady. And looking pretty damn good for 78....:thumbsup2

On Deck:

Night One: A Look Behind the Bricks and Dinner at Vivo Italian Kitchen....!

Last edited:
Woohoo! party:!

Another installment by clsteve! :)

Sounds like you had a perfect arrival day! Can't wait to hear more!

Woohoo! party:!

Another installment by clsteve! :)

Sounds like you had a perfect arrival day! Can't wait to hear more!

It really was a great arrival day. We've never done it that way before - doing other things in Fla, with an easy morning drive over. It's not a bad way to do it. You seem get the most bang for your buck, since you're not all worn out from a big trip and can get almost a full day in. I'll bet that's the way we go from now on and I highly recommend it....:thumbsup2

Wow, what a nice suite.

Your MIL is so cute. :)

She's the absolute real deal, no doubt.

The Suite was great. I hope we can accumulate enough miles for one next time. It was larger, nicer, and cheaper than the 1 bedroom at BWV we rented points for a couple of years ago. It didn't have the stove (or the balcony), but it had 2 bathrooms. Whatever it takes to get 2 of those. With the boys getting older, I think she'd sign on for 2 weeks in Outer Mongolia as long as there were 2 bathrooms....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter