• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yumm Yumm

marydmjj

DIS Veteran
I made my first salad out of my very own homegrown lettuce yesterday. It was YUMMY! I can't wait to add my own tomatoes, beans & peas to it.

As a dear friend of mine recently said to me....kewl! :) :)

Inquiring minds want to know....lettuce have the lettuce answer! ;)

I'm growing green leaf, red leaf and mesclun mix. I can't believe how well it is doing. I picked a bunch more today and made a big salad to take to our neighbors for dinner.

OHMYGOSH, I'm sitting on the deck and a HUMMINGBIRD just came up to my feeder and buzzed around for a while. I got a really good look at it. It didn't sip but really hung out. Might be that my 3 year old is sitting on my lap eating potato chips VERY LOUDLY...is that a word?

I bet it tastes wonderful, Mary! :)

I was almost attacked by a hummingbird once....okay maybe it wasn't really an attack. ;) We were at my parent's cottage, and I was sitting on the deck reading, wearing a dark pink t-shirt. Next thing I know, I hear that whine noise that their little wings make, I look up, and the little guy is dive bombing me!!! :eek: He wouldn't go away...lol. I put something else on, and went and read at the beach. :)

That paints a very funny picture! They are so tiny yet can move a person with no effort at all.

Lettuce and peas sound great for a fresh homemade salad! What other vegi's are you growing this year? Any Butternut Squash???

Noodles

YUP! My butternut squash has poked through and has a couple of leaves on each plant. I'm growing tomatoes, bush peas & beans, pole peas & beans, carrots, green onion (or shallots in goremet restaurants), birdhouse gourds, pumpkins and raspberries. Whew! Sounds like a lot but it's pretty managable right now.

Your salad sounds delicious. I can't wait for one of those days. Hanging out on the deck in the sun. I have or had lettuce until the dear bunnies found it growing in the garden.
I have Goofy lettuce growing under my roses (seeds must've been mixed in the soil I spread under the bushes) which they haven't discovered yet.
I can just hear them talking <i>Who woulda thunk to look under da roses? Whadya thinks growin under the hollyhocks, spinach?</>

LOL! My dh saw a bunny up the road from our house but I've never seen any here. Probably all the bad kittys in the neighborhood.

I love it when the garden starts feeding me! I only put romaine in this year and am regretting not putting some buttercrunch lettuce in. :( Oh well. The spinach was good this year - but we got some sudden heat and it all bolted. So it has been pulled and put in the compost pile already.

Racing up the towers are the pole beans. My fave.

And right now... I am harvesting fresh brocolli, and onions from the garden (along with the romaine of course). YUM!

Can't wait to start harvesting veggies. I do have lettuces and radishes ready to pick. Rhubarb and asparagus have grown but not a good harvest other then that nothing is growing.

My tomatoes are on their 3 set of flowers, tiny tomatoes that refuse to grow. Peppers that have grown to 6 inches tall and stalled there. Squash and beans seedling are just that seedlings. 6 weeks into gardening and it looks like I just planted, Oh those pesky weeds are growing and lots of baby oak trees, now a new menace maple tree seedlings. I don't have maples where the heck are they coming from, hundreds and hundreds of baby maple trees.

Mary treasure your harvest. Lots of harvest envy here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter